German Skating Season 2020-21

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
No. Bruno will not compete. He would lose one year of time with his little children. They need new programs and Bruno has to lose 5 kg of weight. If they want to go for a medal they need the grand Prix as their first competitions which take place in in October (only 8 month). Alexander König is in Berlin so who will coach them? I do not see any chance.
They are Savchenko and Massot - they wouldn't need the full Grand Prix series to establish who they are. They would just need something, maybe even Nebelhorn if A) Hocke/Kunkel don't place high enough at Worlds or B) they do, but S/M still compete as a non-Olympic race entry if they still have them.

Also, 5kg is about 11 pounds. Any serious athlete can adjust their diet (in a healthy way before the bitching starts), add some extra cardio (plus the skating hours), and it would take only a few weeks to do this. It's not that big of a hurdle.

marie1616

I don't know if some of you follow Julia Gnilozubova on IG but over the last week she had some interesting stories. I don't remember all of them but there was Olesya Ray with a 3T-3T, Tessa Pfaffenroth with a 3Lo-Eu-3S and some other girls with 3-2. It will be interesting how all of them look in competition.

Quadjump

They are Savchenko and Massot - they wouldn't need the full Grand Prix series to establish who they are. They would just need something, maybe even Nebelhorn if A) Hocke/Kunkel don't place high enough at Worlds or B) they do, but S/M still compete as a non-Olympic race entry if they still have them.

Also, 5kg is about 11 pounds. Any serious athlete can adjust their diet (in a healthy way before the bitching starts), add some extra cardio (plus the skating hours), and it would take only a few weeks to do this. It's not that big of a hurdle.
They would not need the Grand Prix to compete. Sure. Though there is no chance for a medal without any world class competition before. You need to impress the judges and push your components with clean programs. They would not have won the olympics without the Grand Prix Final victory 3 month before.

The biggest problems is to create a unique program which can beat the inflated Russian scores.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
They would not need the Grand Prix to compete. Sure. Though there is no chance for a medal without any world class competition before. You need to impress the judges and push your components with clean programs. They would not have won the olympics without the Grand Prix Final victory 3 month before.

The biggest problems is to create a unique program which can beat the inflated Russian scores.
There is Euros, which would serve as a decent warmup competition, and the Team SP - which given that Pairs is concluding the Olympics this time around, they would have more than enough time to do the Team SP and still prepare for the Pairs event like they did in 2018.

Their work with Dean in the past has been brilliant so I expect he could come up with something unique for them once again.

We will have to see, after Worlds, how things really stand in pairs overall. There are so many unknowns with too many teams to realistically assess whether or not S/M would have a strong chance at another OGM.

svea

And I almost supposed that she was pregnant again... pastel colors all over the insta story were probably misleading me. They are all cute, but her little lady is one of the brightest, liveliest and loveliest babies around the internet, I guess. Either will be great, whether it be full time coaching, another baby or a comeback.

Good to hear, marie. Are there any links or is hers a private insta?

elenok

Katharina Müller/Tim Dieck are listed in one of the training groups for Russian Cup Final. Presumably this means they will get to skate there as a warm up for Worlds (though probably out of competition).

J

Jeschke

Decent end of the season (I suppose) for Isaev.
Hope she and Schott can push themselves somehow in practice.

I am curious to see how she develops (further) now under Huth.

Felicitas

It seemed to me that she was told to skate clean.
Last season under Sczypa she risked 3L/3T combinations but got low points for 2. (underrotated) jump.

J

Jeschke

They lost some points with the low lift levels, but I guess this was overall a great competition for them and exactly what they needed to head into worlds confidently!
Well done 💪

Sabine-Yuna

Now that the entries of Stockholm are out: Hocke/ Kunkel should be in group 4 or 5 for the SP. Have not had a look at ladies and men.

text_skate

Regional TV station for Berlin-Brandenburg aired yesterday a short pre comp report about Hocke/Kunkel.

It's about their relationship, what they like about each other. Annika about Robert: He's always there for her, they have fun. Robert about Annika: There is so much I like, most of all she is very determined and ambitious, motivated.
They have Russian choreographer.
Annika started when she was 4 y of age. Role model Aliona, loved the pink panther program.
A lot of pressure at Worlds, because of Olympics, they need 10th place to secure their Olympic spot.

The reports end with encouraging words from Aliona (her German is little by little switching accents from Saxon to Upper Bavarian)

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Any thoughts on whether Hocke/Kunkel can acheive 2 spots for worlds/Olympics? They're ostensibly the sixth-best Euros pair. Add in 2 Chinese pairs, 2 American pairs, and 2 Canadian pairs, is top-10 even possible? I'd like to see both Hase/Seegert and Hocke/Kunkel on the big stages next year, but it doesn't look likely. :(

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Any thoughts on whether Hocke/Kunkel can acheive 2 spots for worlds/Olympics? They're ostensibly the sixth-best Euros pair. Add in 2 Chinese pairs, 2 American pairs, and 2 Canadian pairs, is top-10 even possible? I'd like to see both Hase/Seegert and Hocke/Kunkel on the big stages next year, but it doesn't look likely. :(
I'd say it's not impossible. Let everyone skate first and then we'll see. Stranger things have happened, so why not?

text_skate

and Carolina Kostner for the ladies on One / livestream
sportschau is streaming all events

So I hope, the commentary will be ok this year. Last year at Euros I didn't like D.W.'s comments and I switched to youtube

Quadjump

Jackie Wong is predicting them at 10th place. But yeah. It is a tough task.

Quadjump

I ll watch eurosport. Weiss is too subjective too me and is usually wrong with Details concerning the judging system.
and Carolina Kostner for the ladies on One / livestream
sportschau is streaming all events

So I hope, the commentary will be ok this year. Last year at Euros I didn't like D.W.'s comments and I switched to youtube

Sabine-Yuna

The withdrawal of the 2 teams (China, ukraine) has put Hocke/ Kunkel in first half for Sp. That was bad luck. Second group now.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Good thing is, K/F skated before, so likely high PCS are already given out.
The skaters in their group work in their favour as they should look better in theory
Early starting number puts some pressure away which might have been there after great skates.
All very theoretical.
Let's wait and see 💪

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information