German Skating News 2018/19

Enchanted

^ There’s no problem with aging but I think the make up she had at that photo shoot made her look even older than she usually does.

Edit: So, one of the celebrities (Nowak) has already hit her head on the ice.

Last edited:

Laney

Ok, I try to watch it. I don't think I'll make it till the end... This is just bad... Well, I'll clean up my flat and watch it while doing so...
I wouldn't had Amani recognized anymore!!!

sus2850

[QUOTE="Enchanted, post:

Edit: So, one of the celebrities (Nowak) has already hit her head on the ice.[/QUOTE]

It was before the first show. And of course they had the narrative „What a strong girl, she just continued“, no word about possible concussions and how dangerous they can be.

Last edited:

Enchanted

^ The falls have been one of the themes in this episode as the falls of some other celebrities have been shown as well.

John Kelly has some very classic figure skating costumes. And he likes to cry.

Last edited:

sus2850

It is just weird to me that the jurors do not make distinctions between pair skating and ice dance. And Witt even called Nowak‘s ice dancing attempts „pair skating“

J

Jeschke

Recap of 🇩🇪 'Dancing on Ice, Season 03 Episode 02'

Opening with Kevin van der Perren (landing 3T), Dytrt/Bonheur doing their crazy acrobatic stuff, some guy hanging on a rope from the ceiling doing acrobatics there and a group number by the profis.

Seems like Bonheur is an additional coach of all the teams.

Again the bitching of the hosts against other tv-shows (running the same time); how I hate that! 🙄

1) Myriam Leuenberger & Kevin Kuske
'Legendary'
He fell getting into the starting position :gallopin1 Sort of pair spin, simple lift, he tried to have more glide, more difficult lift, something like a death spiral not that deep and solo spin on 2ft. Not so bad for this hunk of a guy, but not impressed really 🤷🏼‍♂️
20,0pts

2) Amani Fancy & Timur Bartels
Of course the entire PR machinery around the flirting between them is running full-force!
'Flames' :)rofl: at his tank top sized XS pressed in his L sized chest)
Dance lift, another one (she on his shoulder), really decent attempt of a pair spin with lots of speed going into it, a sequence of 3 waltz jumps. This was really good.
(the jury guy with no clue about figure skating speaking about the triple jumps done by timur 🙄 :wall:)
36,0pts

3) David Vincour & Sarina Nowak
'She's like the wind'
Pair spiral, stationary lift, another lift, very insecure and lots of 2ft skating, sbs steps, lift. She really tried to intepret the music, that was nice to see.
27,0pts

Lots of PR for Joti's partner. She is always interview between the other skaters, even before they skate. Seems not really fair to me 🙄🤷🏼‍♂️

4) Anette Dytrt & John Michael Kelly
'I don't want to miss a thing'
Lift, Dytrt looks kinda scared there 🆘, another lift, spiral by her, 1LoTh, which was actually a 1lo by her :p, spiral. This was not good. This was lots of Dytrt doing good stuff and skating around him.
27,5pts

5) Kat Rybkowski & Detlef Soost
'Zusammen'
Lift, one foot step sequence by him (only change of edge), 2STh, sbs spin (2ft by him), kind of death spiral. Lots of standing and posing. 👎🏼
30,5pts

6) Matti Landgraf & Aleksandra Bechtel
'She's the one'
Solo spiral, she is totally insecure, only 2foot skating, lift (all is done by Matti), solo spin (2ft), stationary lift. This was not good at all.

7) Joti Polizoakis & Sarah Lombardi
'Break free'
Difficult dance lift, nice speed, waltz jump, solo spiral into rotational lift, she sells it really good, but lots of wobbles here and then but lots of solo steps by her. Joti selled the shit outta it.
33,0pts

Skate-Off after public vote: Leuenberger/Kuske vs. Landgraf/Bechtel

Jury decision: Landgraf/Bechtel are out (sorry @shah , no further 90's VIVA flashbacks for you 😬)

Witt should really commentate real figure skating competitions in german tv. I always like her attitude and the mix of supportive words, knowledge and criticism at olympic coverage (the same as here in this show); Why can't they just get rid of Daniel Weiss and let her do the job for ARD and ZDF? Thank you.
It is just weird to me that the jurors do not make distinctions between pair skating and ice dance. And Witt even called Nowak‘s ice dancing attempts „pair skating“
I am fine with that; for non-skating fans it's confusing enough already with all the terminology.

S

SmallFairy

I still haven't gotten over the fact that a guy from The Kelly Family is in there:lol::yikes: Please tell me his hair is shorter now!?! (I can't tell them apart!)

text_skate

Schedule TV coverage of EC in Minsk: one.ard.de

11:30–15:00 SP Ladies
17:30–20:00 SP Pairs

11:30–15:40 SP Men
17:00–20:00 LP Pairs

16:00–20:00 LP Ladies

09:15–13:10 LP Men
14:25–17:45 FD

13:00–15:40 Gala

:encore: :cheer2: :rollin:

J

Jeschke

Wow, that's really surprising to have such great coverage (without Aliona/Bruno nor any big chances for a great outing). :respec:

Not that I would bother to watch (as I can't stand the Daniel Weiss commentary), but this is really great to see!

annie_mg

Wow, that's really surprising to have such great coverage (without Aliona/Bruno nor any big chances for a great outing). :respec:

Not that I would bother to watch (as I can't stand the Daniel Weiss commentary), but this is really great to see!
It's my first year watching from Germany, is Daniel Weiss that bad? Does he talk during the programmes? Just to know if I have to look for a streaming alternative! :saint:

J

Jeschke

It's my first year watching from Germany, is Daniel Weiss that bad? Does he talk during the programmes? Just to know if I have to look for a streaming alternative! :saint:
First of all: I am not sure he is commentating; usually he does, but no names mentioned so far.

Apart from that, I think it depends on personal taste. I just don't like it. Most of the times it's way too educational (this sucks for skating fans, who knows most of it already and for newbies because it's too much talking) and overall he is just no fascinating commentator for me; I cannot recall if he talks during the programs.
Usually I always give it a try and change to non-commentary Eurosport-Player 2minutes later :D

I prefer the mix of knowledge/gossip/fun of the Eurosport-duo Heinrich/Schamberger.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
He is highly subjective and tends to trash talk skaters he doesn't like (like Satoko Miyahara or Mikhail Kolyada) and moreover, he is incapable of pronouncing the foreign names right. Kolyada, for instance, is "collider" for him.

annie_mg

He is highly subjective and tends to trash talk skaters he doesn't like (like Satoko Miyahara or Mikhail Kolyada) and moreover, he is incapable of pronouncing the foreign names right. Kolyada, for instance, is "collider" for him.

Oh god, I get it. Well if he doesn't like Miyahara, then he and I will not get along. Time to start researching alternative streams!!! Thanks for your input my German FSU friends!

text_skate

Oh god, I get it. Well if he doesn't like Miyahara, then he and I will not get along. Time to start researching alternative streams!!! Thanks for your input my German FSU friends!
I wouldn't say, he doesn't like Miyahara. AFAIR he didn't like the under-rotated jumps.

It depends where he is commenting. When live stream only, it's more for skating fans, if it's TV, he explains more. For years there wasn't any serious TV coverage. So the average (non ESP) TV viewer is still partly set in the 6.0-world. I know quite some viewers, who think the box with GOE and TES is too much. That FS should be as easy to understand as biathlon – where you hit or miss your mark.

It's true, he has occasionally problems with the pronunciation of names, but then, which commentator hasn't.

Weiss' main thing is music, not modern enough. That's the topic he's going on and on (and it's annoying me greatly). Schamberger's topic is costumes, and Heinrich's topic is war horses, and Russian ID. Each has pro and cons. All of them keep mostly quiet during the program.

I'd say, for every German figure skating fan it's not easy to watch TV with commentary, because we all are used to streams and pbp in forum, used to study protocols a.s.f. So we're a good deal better informed than the occasional commentator.

Miezekatze

He is highly subjective and tends to trash talk skaters he doesn't like

And he tends to get very emotional and is into wuzrobbing...I think the only one who's equally bad in this regard is Siggy Heinrich :lol:

I sort of like Daniel generally, even if he is rather self-centered, but as a commentator I also think he's one of the worst,
as is Siggy.

What I always hated about both of them is whenever in an event there is a judging result they don't like, they often keep going on and on about it for the rest of teh evening while pretty much ignoring the rest of the skating :p

I'd also like Kati Witt to commentate more.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
After I heard him commentate the Olympics I was quite ashamed to have an autograph from him at my parents' place from a random local show our club participated in in 1999 which he "hosted". Can't throw it away because it also has Alexander Abt's signature on it who was also in this show.

Laney

I can´t stand him! He often has no clue and his pronouncation is really awkward! But what I hate most is that he says his job is to critizice. Well, it´s NOT. It´s to commentate. And random people who watch skating by chance must think that everything skater xy is doing is bad. You can´t win new fans when you only critizice! I think he also doesn´t has to explain the NEW scoring system every single time. After 15 years one must think it´s not new anymore... :shuffle: But he thinks all people watching don´t have a clue. But he also often doesn´t :rolleyes::p For me, he´s really annoying!
Siggi and Hendryk are ok. They often don´t know some current facts (injuries, retirements...) but sometimes it´s fun listen to them. No commentary is still the best!
@Moka-Ananas I have even been at his farewell show in Bad Liebenzell in 1999... :slinkaway:slinkaway:slinkaway:slinkaway:slinkaway But just because I wanted to see the other skaters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer: Really not HIM!

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I also hate how his daughter is being put in the spotlight. She participated in "The Voice - Kids" at some point and is also skating. She must be around 10 right now and has all the single jumps or had them, the last time I checked, but is being promoted by the local press as the next big thing.
Have they even taken a look at...let's say...US Novice skaters? I'm not even mentioning the Russian and Japanese ladies.

text_skate

Commentators have to criticize, not in the sense of talking down, but in the sense of to assess (good and bad), to categorize and to put things in perspective, all practises, which are depending on the commentators point of view. And further more, commentary is always about opinion, which viewers appreciate or highly dissaprove, and all in between.
IMO Daniel Weiss is doing his job. Sometimes I'm ok with it, other times, he's getting on my nerves. Same is true for the ESP duo.

Eislauffan

Daniel will commentate for ONE, he's said it already. How he will survive Mikhail Kolyada skating to Carmen, I don't know :D:rofl: - as text_skate said, he hates classical music (which is really annoying, to harp on skaters using classical music all the time). I don't like that he is not neutral, he has his favorites and the skaters he doesn't like and he always criticizes them a lot. He forgets that many of his viewers might not agree with him, they maybe enjoy classical music and the skaters Daniel doesn't appreciate. Obviously, they're turned away by his commentary then.
Having that said, I don't think a commentator has to sugar-coat everything. He also can say something critical, but not constantly and I think he should try to be as neutral as possible. I know that's not always easy, but when I commentate Russian Nationals, I'm always trying to say something positive about each skater, even the ones that I criticize for something or the ones that I like less than others. I think each competitor deserves respect.

You can criticize Daniel, but he is trying hard to make sure that figure skating doesn't disappear completely from the German public service broadcasting channels.

Quadjump

Hocke/Blommaert are out of Euros. He is sick. Their season is to forget about. Last year looked so promising but the future is always going to be different than you think.

I have to say that Daniel Weiss' commentary got much better during last year. It was a horror 5 years ago. I knew nothing about the scoring system.

He got that special tribute for his commentary for Aljona and Brunos Olympic Gold medal. I have never understood that. He commentated not even live!

J

Jeschke

Lara Luft is on ice partner search.
What the hell? 😱
I really liked the progress of Luft/Kazimov this season 😢
Their junior worlds ticket was to 95% ensured. Now it seems to go to her hubby Stephano Schuster (with Peterson).

You can't tell what's going on, without knowing. They always seemed fine together on ice. I am really sad about this 😢
Does anyone have details?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information