German Skating News 2018/19

text_skate

Any reports on German TV or other news outlets?
article (auto-translation is be OK)
https://www.berliner-zeitung.de/pan...--die-kati-witt-zum-weltstar-machte--31733858

video, some days ago, about a show, they did for her in Chemnitz:
https://www.mdr.de/mediathek/mdr-videos/a/video-256942.html
(including a very short clipping of Lutricia Bock as Gaby Seyffert

video on Germany's ARD: https://www.sportschau.de/winterspo...ntel---jutta-mueller-wird--jahre-alt-100.html
and some pics: https://www.sportschau.de/wintersport/eiskunstlauf/trainerlegende-jutta-mueller-wird-90-100.html

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Evelyn Grossman might be beside Steuer

I was thinking the same, based on the smile. Hair color has changed.

Adding: Surely Jan Hoffman is one of the men with glasses...2nd Row, far right?! We’ve seen him as an official not that long ago.

Last edited:

MichaelK

An article on Jutta Müller in Spiegel Online "Die eisige Königin" (The icy queen) http://www.spiegel.de/sport/winters...uf-trainerin-wird-90-jahre-alt-a-1243137.html

It contains some interesting tidbits that I didn't know yet. Apparently Gaby Seyfert's surprising retirement 1970 was due to her falling in love. And when her Mom and trainer, Jutta Müller, confronted her with the choice "Skating or Love", Gaby chose love. Also according to the article, Gaby was Anett Pötzsch's first coach but then Gaby had to hand over her student to her mother. Sounds like lots of very interesting family dynamics.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Last edited:

Is anyone watching the „Sportler des Jahes“ (athlete of the year) show? I don’t have ZDF access momentarily, but I‘m rooting for A&B.

J

Jeschke

Is anyone watching the „Sportler des Jahes“ (athlete of the year) show? I don’t have ZDF access momentarily, but I‘m rooting for A&B.
I do; will keep you folks updated after the show!
'Team of the year' is last to be awarded!

J

Jeschke

Today german sports gala 'Athlete of the Year' took place in Baden-Baden. It's the biggest sports prize in Germany (decided by german sport journalists vote) and a big honour here:

Savchenko/Massot came in 2nd in the category 'Team of the Year'.

They could not attend the gala due touring with Holiday on Ice; Holiday on Ice show was put on hold for them receiving their award and giving a live interview; Aliona still smiled so much in the golden memories, everyone laughed. Bruno looked very sad, tried to maintain composure 😪
It's a big honour for figure skaters, as the sport is not very existent in German media.

Previous results by Aliona:
2008: 10th (with Szolkowy)
2009: 4th (with Szolkowy)
2011: 7th (with Szolkowy)
2012: 9th (with Szolkowy)
2014: 17th (with Szolkowy)

---

Other recpipients:

Athlete of the Year (male):
1. Patrick Lange (Triathlon, winner Ironman)
2. Eric Frenzel (Nordic Combined, Olympics 2x gold, 1x bronze)
3. Arthur Abele (Track & Field, Euros gold)
(my puppy Wellinger, Ski Jumping, Olympics 1x gold, 2x silver was heavily robbed :drama:)

Athlete of the Year (female)
1. Angelique Kerber 💪🏼 (Tennis, winner Wimbledon; shame on Boris Becker here for praising more his former efforts than Keber herself in his laudation🤬; awesome speech by Kerber praising Vogel for being a great role model 😍)
2. Kristina Vogel (Track cycling, Worlds 2x gold, paralyzed after crash in practice in june; very emotional moment)
3. Laura Dahlmeier (Biathlon, Olympics 2x gold, 1x bronze)

Team of the Year
1. Team Germany (Ice Hockey, Olympics silver)
3. Team Germany Coxed Eigth (Rowing, Worlds gold)

Last edited by a moderator:

Quadjump

I expected nothing else than second place behind the ice hockey team. German sports journalists do not know anything about figure skating. I am sure most of them have not even known Aljona before the 15th February.:revenge: Rudi Cerne himself has no clue about his own sport if you listen to his old commentary. Figure skating is way too female for our journalists who identify themselves with manly ice hockey (Sorry.Too rude) The German soccer team was mentioned three times this evening including a useless interview with Joachim Löw although they all totally failed at worlds.:wall:

The whole event makes me feel ashamed every year again.:slinkaway No humor, no real show, crazy broadcasting time, no concept. It should be the commentators job to make the event worthwhile but they act clumsily.

@Jeschke, much appreciated.
Congratulations to team Savchenko/Massot. I would have preferred them over the hockey players, but you’re right it’s a great honor either way.

Reminds me of the reply I owe you regarding junior nationals. Still I‘m not through with all the footage, but there were some performances I found interesting to watch.

Still I think of Marold as a very promising young lady. Sure that seniors entry earned her some extra attention and pressure.

Eudine and Salatzki competed at Bratislava JGP this weekend. At junior nationals, both seemed to skate with at least the approach of nice expression.

One of the novice(?) girls was coached by Aljona. I really enjoyed her performance. As we were criticizing over-all skating abilities, that may be something Aljona can bring to the table as a trainer, if they hopefully let her.

And junior men didn’t look too bad at all.

Where the interviews themselves were a nice extra, the answers ranged from astounding to dissatisifying, under my very nose. Figure skating isn’t the only sports facing german school system 🙄

S

SmallFairy

Good for Aljona and Bruno!:cheer:

The Norwegian sport price ceremony is crap each year. Skiing and woman's handball wins everything, no matter what. This year our woman's handball team were abysmal at worlds (for their standard) and finished 6th or something, but watch them win team of the year anyway:mad:

J

Jeschke

@Jeschke any info about streaming for the upcoming National Championships? would like to see my boy Fentz :p
Sure. For once I can be of some help for you! :40beers:
Streaming will be provided by sportdeutschland.tv .

Check the links for Saturday and Sunday here (German Fed page)
https://www.eislauf-union.de/events/deutsche-meisterschaften

Or direct links here:
Saturday:
http://sportdeutschland.tv/eiskunstlauf/deutsche-meisterschaft-2018-tag-1-7_3
Sunday:
http://sportdeutschland.tv/eiskunstlauf/deutsche-meisterschaft-2018-tag-2-6_2

Should be available live and on demand like in previous years!

J

Jeschke

Entire post
Oh, someone is really dislking the show ;)

I expected nothing else than second place behind the ice hockey team. German sports journalists do not know anything about figure skating. I am sure most of them have not even known Aljona before the 15th February.:revenge:
I think that comment is pretty unfair; as mentioned in my original post, Aliona was amongst Top10 in her good years with Szolkowy too. There are other world champions, covered as much/less who never make it that far.
The Ice Hockey team win is deserved. It was them or S/M for me. They created something at Olympics, everyone was caputed, the entire nation. Lots of little kids signed in into ice hockey clubs following the Games. This was a huge thing here. (Aliona/Bruno's win was covered so much and hyped too, so complaining in that regard seems not fair to me)

Rudi Cerne himself has no clue about his own sport if you listen to his old commentary.
I never heard Rudi Cerne commentary, usually Daniel Weiss does is for ARD/ZDF, but his commentary sucks too, I agree.

The German soccer team was mentioned three times this evening including a useless interview with Joachim Löw although they all totally failed at worlds.:wall:
They may have been even mentioned more, but everytime it was made fun of them or blamed theme, so?
Kerber was heavily critized at last year's gala too, it's part of year-review too.

The whole event makes me feel ashamed every year again.:slinkaway No humor, no real show, crazy broadcasting time, no concept. It should be the commentators job to make the event worthwhile but they act clumsily.
Humor - It's an award show, I don't see the point why this should be a funny event. To be fair, they tried to put in something funny (with the bad clips to start and mid-way by the interview guy)
There is a concept, it's the sports year in review - if you like the concept, that's another thing ;)
I agree about the hosts. They are not made for this; going for the younger folks like Jochen Breyer and Sven Voss might work better here, if they want to stick to sport journalists.

For myself, I really like the show every year (besides the bad hosting and some bad jokes); I am totally into sports and it is always a nice review of the year, most of the time kinda emotional, so I am totally into it!

J

Jeschke

Good news. Tickets for nationals are almost sold out (only shit places still available).
Nice to see that we will have some audience :respec:

shah

Shhh... shhh...
German version of Dancing on Ice:
https://www.ok-magazin.de/entertain...nd-die-kandidaten-und-ihre-partner-54929.html

As already mentioned, Joti is taking part.
The other skaters are: Annette Dytrt, Amani Fancy, Matti Landgraf, David Vincour, Kat Rybkowski, Alexander Gazsi, Myriam Leuenberger.

The most scandalous thing is: why is Vartmann not there? :drama::rofl:
I think Zhiganshina would have been nice too.

Aleks Bechtel and John Kelly, my 90s childhood coming back :p (even though I always hated The Kelly Family).
Btw, what an impressive skating team in the show!

Wow, 300.000 €, that’s quiet a surprise to me. Would be interesting to learn more about the source and how that has been figured up. But even in case of the sum beeing her total netto after expenses, i think, she deserves it.

It seems it wasn’t just once throughout her career when she with her partners batteled for their financial survival as athletes. I remember when in the Chemnitz times they sold some fan articles and did these inaugurating-shopping-malls sort of things to fund their training.
Okay, it might have been a management issue as well (those actions might have not been taken in the most professional way, I guess). Not to forget about the Stasi-thing.

But the controversies aside (that don’t undo the struggles), they never had the financial support multi-champions of other sports had.

And when teaming up with Bruno Massot again money was standing in their way (french fed).

Anyway, Aljona is a great role model to every athlete. There are no doubts about her work ethic and her beeing one of the most hard working sportspeople one can find.

If they now make a pretty penny, I‘m more than fine with it.

J

Jeschke

Bock is out of nationals :(
https://de-de.facebook.com/lutriciabock/

She still labours with the injury sustained at Finlandia (that weird cut on her foot).
She hopes to comeback next year.

Oh boy. You need a strong will to hold on and not give up based on that injury history the last 2 seasons :(

#comebackstronger

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information