Fun geography quiz - how many can you get?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Pardon my ignorance but that is a country? On earth? :eek:

Little island in Oceania and yes, I miss it every time too. San Marino isn't an issue for me because they used to hold an F1 race there. It was where Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna were killed.

Jeez, I was really proud of my 172... :shuffle:

antmanb

96 :shuffle: I got most of Europe and Central and South America. Africa :eek: Spelling also stumped me on a couple.

gk_891

96 :shuffle: I got most of Europe and Central and South America. Africa :eek: Spelling also stumped me on a couple.

The spelling also got me a few times as well. I'm used to spelling Saint Lucia or Saint kitts as St. Lucia or St. Kitts. I also always have trouble with Kyrgyzstan.

I'm up to 184 but it's the South Pacific that always stumps me.

danceronice

Corgi Wrangler
130 (with a couple hangups requiring google because I cannot spell "Czech" or "Belarus" reliably but know they're there.) Basically, if it's a teeny African country or a bunch of islands that aren't Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines, I don't know it. And I forgot Kyrgyzstan. I feel bad about that one.

liv

I keep forgetting Sao Tome and Principe.... i have to do memory games because I have troubles with memory after my concussion, so i enjoy this one...

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I missed this thread while I was away. A friend sent me this quiz two years ago - I was appalled at my original result, so kept at it until I could get all 196. I do it every few weeks just to keep it fresh. My best finish is 5:54 remaining :encore:

I will say that knowledge of skating competition sites and OES skaters (ETA: and being a longtime fan of Survivor) helped me a lot :p

The quiz that I still struggle with is the Africa quiz where you have to not just name the country, but correctly place it. All of the larger countries are fine, but tiny ones that don't show up on the main quiz are my downfall.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Pardon my ignorance but that is a country? On earth? :eek:
Tuvalu strangely enough is a country, i learned it "the hard way" few years ago by missing it on another quiz because I thought it was part of British Commonwealth.... By its other name it is called Ellice Islands and has British Flag on the National Flag - http://www.mapsofworld.com/images/world-countries-flags/tuvalu-flag.gif
Before it was Gilbert and Ellice Islands, British Colony. Now Gilbert Island is part of Kiribati Republic, and Tuvalu is another country...

Given so many tiny places are "countries", i been wondering for a long time how come "Order of Malta" in the middle of Rome is not a country?...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_Military_Order_of_Malta

It is a small "country" in a large courtyard in a building right above Spanish Steps..
http://photos.wikimapia.org/p/00/01/22/41/97_big.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/20/Interior_Palazzo_di_Malta_(Roma).jpg

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Given so many tiny places are "countries", i been wondering for a long time how come "Order of Malta" in the middle of Rome is not a country?...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_Military_Order_of_Malta

It is a small "country" in a large courtyard in a building right above Spanish Steps..
http://photos.wikimapia.org/p/00/01/22/41/97_big.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/20/Interior_Palazzo_di_Malta_(Roma).jpg

Heh. We had that discussion in world geography with arguments for and against. It seems to depend on who is doing the arguing.

Tinami Amori

Heh. We had that discussion in world geography with arguments for and against. It seems to depend on who is doing the arguing.
I actually barged into their courtyard once, dressed in a long black cape behind a group of Sisters of Mercy, and found a person who resembled an "official" and asked him that. He gave me a flyer/brochure. It had an explanation (in short): We do not have permanents residents, stable population, GNP/economy, and do not hold sufficient parcel of land to qualify as a country. I tried to argue, he walked away.

gk_891

After a day's break, I took it again and got 194. I can never remember Kribati and Nauru in the south Pacific. I only remember Palau because it reminds me of the word pelau which I ate a lot of when I was a child.

BelleBway

a monkey stole my title
I'm up to 188 today; I always forget some of the countries in Africa, I can get all the other continents now.

We stayed at the Tuvulu longhouse at Disney's Polynesian Resort, which makes that one easier to remember. :shuffle:

misskarne

Last night I plateaued at 172 - 100% for Europe and South America, missed only the Maldives from Asia and Palau from Oceania, but darn my Africa is terrible.

shan

I'm up to 183. I keep forgetting Rwanda and Sierra Leone among others. I've taken it a few times and have never gotten East Timor. :wall:

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
The trick for me for the smaller, less visually identifiable countries was to create linked countries - if I get one, I get its partner(s).

For instance, in Oceania (is that the name for the stretch between SE Asia and the US?), all countries are linked, based on perceived connections in naming.

Indonesia-Micronesia (usually the easiest because Indonesia is huge and I get visually reminded to enter it)
Solomon Islands-Marshall Islands
Tuvalu-Vanuatu-Nauru
Fiji-Kiribati
Samoa-Tonga (a stretch, but now it's etched in my brain)
Palau-Papua New Guinea

When I started, I always entered Swaziland right after Switzerland. Once I figured out where Swaziland was, I no longer had to link it, because it's large enough to be visible. Now I enter the names in order from North to South, West to East, starting with Canada - except I always start with Antigua, Sao Tome, and East Timor, because they are the ones that trip me up the most.

gkelly

A few years ago I did some other geography quizzes, probably from FSU links, and managed to temporarily memorize most of the countries in Africa and the Middle East that I hadn't already learned. The islands, and some of the tiny European countries especially ex-Yugoslavian, I didn't quite now.

After missing them in this quiz, I went back to other learning-style quizzes and now I think I know them all except Oceania. That will take some more studying.

But what are the bets I'll be back to not remembering them a month from now?

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
But what are the bets I'll be back to not remembering them a month from now?

A month from now you will probably recall nearly all of them.

A year from now, probably not.

I speak from experience here :p.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I got 101 -- way better than 7th grade me, probably because many of these nations did not exist then... I had some spelling issues too, like Morocco (I thought it was Marocco), and I have never been able to spell Papua New Guinea. I was proud I was somehow able to spell Kyrgyzstan.

I also missed some very obvious ones, like Belarus (which is called 'White Russia' in Danish).

Then I missed a bunch of African and Caribbean nations, and all of the Polynesian ones.

misskarne

Boosted to 184 tonight with 100% on Europe, Asia, Oceania, and South America.

I'm getting closer and remembering more of my Africa now, though the ones I miss are sometimes mind-boggling. Tonight's worst miss was Kenya. Come on self, how'd you do that? :duh: (Though I have to say, missing Trinidad after the West Indies have been playing cricket here all summer was nearly as bad.)

barbk

I'm jealous, Jimena.

And my memory for spelling has apparently gone way, way south.

139. And irked.

But there is a board game out there for you guys: Ubi. Like Trivial Pursuit, but you have to locate the answer on a map that doesn't have political boundaries shown.

personwhoishere

I've never been great at geography, but for some reason I'm determined to master this quiz. I spend an ungodly amount of time taking and retaking it at work yesterday...:shuffle:

misskarne

I've never been great at geography, but for some reason I'm determined to master this quiz. I spend an ungodly amount of time taking and retaking it at work yesterday...:shuffle:

Heh, heh. It is addicting, isn't it?

187 tonight. I'm not sure how much more improvement I'll see from here since some of the tiny African countries I'm missing I've never even heard of. Then again, I missed Somalia and Senegal which I've gotten on prior nights, so we'll see. If I ever top 190, I'll be happy.

My tactic has changed in recent nights: knock them off by grouping. First Oceania, then Europe, then Asia, then South America, then attack North America and Africa.

gk_891

There's another quiz on that website about world capitals. That one was harder than I thought it would be. And so many cities that I thought were capitals weren't actually capitals at all (e.g. Lagos, Colombo, etc).

liv

It does make a difference how fast and accurately you can type. I keep typing Finland as Finalnd and have to redo it, wasting precious time...

It is addictive... finally slowed down typing, avoided some of the mistakes, and got it done with 7:41 remaining...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information