From Russia With Love (No 32): Spring to Summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ka3sha

Re Tarasova/Morozov and their coaching situation:
As far as I know, they wanted to go to Dmitriev Sr last off-season, but the Fed wasn’t too happy with this decision, Dmitriev also wasn’t sure what to do with them (he doesn’t have as much resources as Mozer).
There also were some rumors about them moving to North America... but it didn’t happen (or rumors were just rumors).
So last season Trankov agreed to take them for one year and help them as their friend.

I really hope that this year they will find a permanent coach and will be able to focus on skating and progressing.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Actually they were skating well early in their career. They were not given good programs. Their coach neglected them. I have seen them skate with freedom at the 2016 Olympics. They placed highest among the three Russian pairs there. The other two pairs had won Olympic gold and silver, but could not deliver at the 2016 worlds when they were healthy. T&M were better.

In her interview Zhenya described her struggles during the Olympic season. They did better this season. So they did learn from their Olympic season.

Finally, Sui Han did not suddenly become what they are. They went through their learning curve too.

Oops! I meant 2016 worlds (not Olympics). Too late to edit that post.

VGThuy

I don’t think it’s Mozer not caring about them but rather she really has personal things she’s dealing with where she cannot coach full-time anymore.

Tinami Amori

My mother's thoughts: "Maybe they'll go with Cain & Le Duc to Texas. And Mozer too. Why not? We've got Marina in the warm sunshine."
Also Szolkowy is in California. There's sunshine there too.
I thought the same! Tar/Mor worked with him before, got alone well from what i read. Both kids (T/M) are "outdoor/sun and beach" types (judging by locations they pick to vacation). But... there is an issue of financing, and they are not that wealthy at present.

Cool that Trankov is being so honest about his inability to be an effective coach for #1 pair (vs. being an "assistant coach" for them). never thought he is humble... :lol:

hanca

Values her privacy
I don’t think it’s Mozer not caring about them but rather she really has personal things she’s dealing with where she cannot coach full-time anymore.
I heard that there are some health issues, but in an interview she spoke how coaching the current senior pairs is not interesting for her any more, so I was wondering how much is it her health problems and how much is it being bored working in this top level. She used to be a relatively unknown junior coach, and by Volosozhar/Trankov choosing her, she quickly raised to top senior pair coach, but maybe she had a burnout?

VGThuy

Yeah, it could be that too. Mental exhaustion, burnout, or disinterest are all health-related in some way I think...at least it's personal issues one needs to address.

Mad for Skating

Not necessarily. Last names ending on -ev/a can often imply Tatar/Bashkir/Ossetian etc. background. Take Alina Kabaeva, Alan Dzagoev, Rudolf Nureyev, Vladislav Mirzoev etc.

That’s true. Oops, guess I didn’t think of all that.

Maxim Trankov will no longer coach Tarasova/Morozov
He will gladly help them if needed, but won’t be their main coach

Well dang. This arrangement gets stickier by the day!

Is that the right time to shout TarMor, move to Moskvina/Vassiliev!!!

I would love to see this more than anything, but Evgenia loves Mozer. Although tbh, Mozer seems to think Z/E are her pride and joy, not T/M. Which is crazy considering that T/M are so far ahead of Z/E.

The coaching situation around T/M is so weird. They're the top pair in the country, yet no one seems to want them. Considering how much Evgenia seems to like Mozer, I do find Mozer's clear lack of interest in them in some interviews to be really :(:eek:.

If you ask me, Mozer is trying to clear the way for her baby Natalia to dominate. She’s always had a soft spot for her.

Meanwhile, Ksenia and Andrei Novoselov are going to stay in Perm and train with Nikolai Morozov:

Now there is some news I’m excited about! Not the Nikolai part of course, but I’m dying to see her.

hanca

Values her privacy
To be fair, it is much harder job to make a world champions out of Zabijako/Enbert, than from skaters such as Savchenko or from Sui/Han. I never thought there is much chance that Zabijako/Enbert could be on the world podium because in the past they struggled with side by side jumps and one of their throw jump was double axel rather than triples. (Yes, I know it was supposed to be a preparation for 3A, but that never happened). Maybe that’s what Mozer likes; the challenge of getting a mediocre pair (probably very hardworking but not as much talented) to the top.

Perky Shae Lynn

I have been seeing a lot of Instagram posts from the closing banquet. Tarasova, Samodurova, Medvedeva, Boikova, et. posted quiet a few pictures and Alina wasn't in them. Did she leave early?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
There were a few pics and videos of Alina, Sofia, and Moris horsing around on an escalator. So Alina stayed at least a little while. But I didn't see her in the Team Russia photos.

oleada

I have been seeing a lot of Instagram posts from the closing banquet. Tarasova, Samodurova, Medvedeva, Boikova, et. posted quiet a few pictures and Alina wasn't in them. Did she leave early?
I saw pics of her with Nathan and Donovan Carrillo. She was there.

Tinami Amori

Maxim Kovtun is in Moscow, so it it looks like, has not been skating (seen at CSKA), posting fotos and videos on his social media. Some think his music choices are "strange and mean something". He has not yet spoke about his health but looks fine.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvetYaBFLPK/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJksCDgm9ds

Sofia Akatieva (Sambo-70/novice) is landing her 4t-3t fairly consistently now.
http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1553793982/720856f3/25960726.gif
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvjB4cPgNDU/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=10k2g4wkpgz1o

Alina Zagitova will have a line of dolls by "Empire of Dolls" toy company
http://www.myudm.ru/sites/default/files/1_3158.jpg

Mad for Skating

I wonder about that too.

It’s just my gut feeling on it, but I don’t like it. T/M earned that spot as Russia’s no. 1.

To be fair, it is much harder job to make a world champions out of Zabijako/Enbert, than from skaters such as Savchenko or from Sui/Han. I never thought there is much chance that Zabijako/Enbert could be on the world podium because in the past they struggled with side by side jumps and one of their throw jump was double axel rather than triples. (Yes, I know it was supposed to be a preparation for 3A, but that never happened). Maybe that’s what Mozer likes; the challenge of getting a mediocre pair (probably very hardworking but not as much talented) to the top.

I’m honestly rather shocked that Zabiiako and Enbert are world medalists. Two years ago I saw zero potential in them. But they have solid elements and seem to have shaken out the side-by-side issue. They’re also landing two triple throws now. However, Tarasova/Morozov have such better skating skills and bigger elements that it seems presumptuous for Z/E to think they’re in that same class.

I will give Mozer credit for turning Stolbova/Klimov from a relatively mediocre pair to Olympic silver medalists. Perhaps she is trying to do the same thing with Z/E.

I actually think Z/E could be a very cool pair, but they need programs that are unique without being dorky (aka the Alexander Nevsky SP). I could even see them doing goth rock like Evanescence, Natalia has that intense, dark beauty for it.

annie_mg

This reminds me so much of those little Russian ballerinas who are put on pointe when they are 8 already....and can do ballet variations on pointe by the time they are 12 and everybody claps and finds it amazing. I haven't seen many of them actually manage to become adult dancers...those bodies are fragile, bones and muscles need to form before you start going on pointe.

Good for Akatieva as it must be thrilling to be able to land jumps that some men can't do, but does she really need a 4-3 at 11 years old? What is she planning to do? Change her passport and go to worlds next year and win with her jumps? What's the point really? Scare the opponents?

hanca

Values her privacy
This reminds me so much of those little Russian ballerinas who are put on pointe when they are 8 already....and can do ballet variations on pointe by the time they are 12 and everybody claps and finds it amazing. I haven't seen many of them actually manage to become adult dancers...those bodies are fragile, bones and muscles need to form before you start going on pointe.

Good for Akatieva as it must be thrilling to be able to land jumps that some men can't do, but does she really need a 4-3 at 11 years old? What is she planning to do? Change her passport and go to worlds next year and win with her jumps? What's the point really? Scare the opponents?
Does she really need 4-3 at 11 year old? Well, if she wants to win, she does. Russia is currently has plenty of girl both pre-junior and junior level age, who have the full technical content (seven triples in the FS), the hardest 3-3 combinations etc, that there is nothing else to do to ensure that she would win. If let’s say 50 people will have exactly the same jumps in their program as you do, you may win, but you may end up 50th. It will all depend on very subjective marking of PCS and GOE. It seems that she doesn’t want to leave it to a chance or to individual judges liking/disliking her or to politicking.

Recently we watched Russian novice championships. About 10, maybe more, had the same (full difficulty) of jumps. Alright, some of the skaters were not skating clean yet, but they already had the jumps. Add to it a huge number of junior girls with the same content... the only way how to ensure that one will end up on the top is through harder jumps. They can’t add extra triple unless it is triple axel, so quads, here they come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information