From Russia With Love [#38]: Fall/Winter 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAOTMAA

Tarasova/Morozov plan to debut @ Russian Cup Kazan. As well, Stepanova/Bukin will also participate.
B/K, M/G and P/R are going to be there too! Excluding P/K that's pretty much all the heavy hitters :cool:

I also assume it means B/K are back on ice training again. They only announced Dmitri tested positive less then two weeks ago so it must have been very mild

Marco

I think it has become something like a mantra people keep repeating 'Liza has bad spins and poor ice coverage, she is always skating to the same thing and the only good thing about her is her lutz'.
While it's not completely untrue, we also probably should appreciate the fact that she is actually working on her flaws - she has new spins positions this year, she got the biellmann back (at 23yo and with chronic back problems, no less). She is trying hard with choreography and ice coverage - her last year SP to Florence&The Machine and this year's 'Spartacus' are a prove to that. I, personally, was pleasantly surprised with her ice coverage at this year test skates in comparison with Russian Cup final a year and a half ago, for example (I was sitting at the same part of the rink, so was easier to compare).

Anyway, the problem is not with Tuktamysheva's scores being too low - they seem okey to me. The problem is that all the others are not flawless skating goddesses (Kostornaia aside, probably) themselves. And no matter how good their spins could be, a skater with 3Lz(e)-2Lo should never be ahead of someone with 3A and 3-3 combo :rolleyes:

This is not necessarily her problem. Her losing to skaters with 'better packages' but lesser jumps could be due to (1) the system not justly rewarding her strengths; (2) the judges not scoring accordingly to guidelines or more on reputation; (3) a combination of 1 & 2; (4) fair judging due to her weaknesses overshadowing her strengths.

She may have less transitions but I actually enjoy her skating more, because less hectic and more attention to music.

I will say tho, it looks like she will have to rely on a few skaters making mistakes for her to make Worlds again, even if she were to go clean.

muffinplus

Anyway, the problem is not with Tuktamysheva's scores being too low - they seem okey to me. The problem is that all the others are not flawless skating goddesses (Kostornaia aside, probably) themselves. And no matter how good their spins could be, a skater with 3Lz(e)-2Lo should never be ahead of someone with 3A and 3-3 combo :rolleyes:

One combo (even in the age of where everyone must do a 3-3 in short) doesn't make the performance, and , even if they gave lower GOE on the botched 3lz(!)-2lo, Anna is just much better at spins that it negates the combo error and gets better PCS.. the 3-3 combo from Liza wasn't perfect either; it was UR. I don't really get the argument about "never" being ahead because of worse jump content, since we are in COP, where everything counts.

Liza is just behind or (is scored behind) in other elements, and it's not like her jumps were perfect either. Anna is overscored is PCS compared to international competitions, and that's what made a difference...the rest of her elements are actually scored on a smilar level in GOE if you compare it to GPF SP in Torino performance for example. She gets roughly the same spin and FW GOE. Ana, again, were it not for bonuses for spins, she would have been behind as well.

Bellanca

This is not necessarily her problem. Her losing to skaters with 'better packages' but lesser jumps could be due to (1) the system not justly rewarding her strengths; (2) the judges not scoring accordingly to guidelines or more on reputation; (3) a combination of 1 & 2; (4) fair judging due to her weaknesses overshadowing her strengths.

She may have less transitions but I actually enjoy her skating more, because less hectic and more attention to music.

I will say tho it looks like she will have to rely on a few skaters making mistakes for her to make Worlds again, even if she were to go clean.
I think you pretty much touched on everything that will be a challenge for Liza going forward. She represents a country that consistently has someone waiting in the wings, a sizeable obstacle. Plus, relying on others to make mistakes is not ideal, but that is the stark reality of a sport that moves along quickly.

ETA: I'm not saying Liza will never make another World team or an Olympic team because anything can happen, and of course, I want her to achieve this, but she will need to be at her very best, i.e., clean, well-balanced programs - jumps, speed, spins, noticeably improved ice coverage, etc. Liza cannot afford to leave any points on the table.

Last edited:

Ka3sha

2020/21 Russian Nationals (Chelyabinsk, GMT+5)
Schedule:

Dec, 24
14:00-16:30 Men, SP
16:50-18:55 Ice Dance, RD
19:15-20:00 Opening ceremony
20:15-22:00 Pairs, SP

December, 25
13:30-15:55 Ice Dance, FD
16:15-19:00 Men, LP
19:20-21:45 Ladies, SP

December, 26
16:30-18:40 Pairs, LP
19:00-21:45 Ladies, LP

December, 27
13:00-13:45 Medal ceremonies
14:00-16:30 Exhibitions

hanca

Values her privacy
Ok, it it VERY inconsiderate to have pairs on 24th in the evening. That’s when our main dinner and presents are! :( Oh well, we will have to fit the celebration around the skating then!

ETA: good news!!!!! Chelyabinsk is five hours ahead! So pairs should finish at 5pm our time. Then we can celebrate! (the only challenge may be to cook something that doesn’t require any attention from me. Something that I put in the oven and forget about it for a few hours.)

syzygy

It is every year on Christmas. Russians don’t celebrate Christmas on 24th or 25th December.
It wasn't on Christmas 2019 and a couple years before that too IIRC? It was close but not on 24/25?
EDIT: 2018 too

hanca

Values her privacy
It wasn't on Christmas 2019 and a couple years before that too IIRC? It was close but not on 24/25?
EDIT: 2018 too
When I said it is always on Christmas, I didn’t mean exactly Christmas Eve or Christmas day, but always during the Christmas holidays. In 2019 it was 24th-29th December, although the competitive skating was 26th-28th. The days before were the official practice, and the draw etc and on 29th was the exhibition.
In 2018 it was 20th-22nd, the exhibition on 23rd. That’s pretty close too.

Natanielle825

I don’t think at that time when she skated, the skaters were as thin as they are nowadays. We are talking about 50-60 years ago. In the sixties, I don’t think there would be the same pressure on skaters to starve themselves
Maybe there was less pressure back then but I wouldn't judge that on the size of the athletes. USA gymnastics has girls of all different shapes and sizes and B.K. called every single one of them fat when they ate (or just walked thru the gym doors).

rfisher

Let the skating begin
They've had them during the 3rd week of December for as long as I've been watching them. I don't know the history beyond that. Sort of the same for US nationals and Europeans are held the 3rd week in January except during Olympic years.

Tinami Amori

Tuktamysheva is out of "Ice Star" competition (no reason stated), held Oct. 31st in Minsk, Belarussia. Samodurova and Gulyakova will skate.

Tinami Amori

Sofia Akatieva, interview about training, working with Eteri, and quad jumps "Don't think about falling".
(google translates ok, if any questions pls ask).

Tinami Amori

Coach by the name of Amir Khabibullin, who was working at "Angels of Pluschenko" and was the primary coach of young Alex Pluschenko (Gnom-Gnomych), has now joined Khrystalniy (Sambo-70).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information