From Russia With Love [#37]: Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbird

I loved Valieva's Bolero, and think this is perfect for her, given she is good at modern ballet moves and very flexible. Her opening moves are very interesting and creative. Loved it.

I will however agree that she could be more expressive, which she usually is, but it seemed she was hurt somewhat and a bit shocked by the fall in the opening quad, even if she then pulled off the next quad combination. I did see that she is reserved in her movements.

By the way, the dresses Valieva and Shcherbakova were wearing are not competition dresses. Anna said in the interview that the ones they are wearing were made specially for practices and Test Skate, so that they don't bore the crowds with athletic clothes.

Sports Business On-line newspaper declared Valieva the best.

Alexander Zhulin said that Valieva is the best female skater in Russia.

Who would argue? But, I still haven't had the heart to rewatch Valieva more than once. I cannot count how many times I've rewatched R&J. There is so much more potential to amaze there as it is age appropriate with Bolero not so much. As for our naughty old man Zhulin, I espected nothing less.

barbarafan

I like her, but I find him a distraction and annoyance. He doesn't know how to play the part and that Katsalapov like flub on the twizzles for your debut? Even I heard the collective groans of their coaches.

They have potential, but I don't know yet if he can keep up. While watching them I was struggling to come to terms with the fact that he was the more mature skater, then the see through tights over the boots was just more than I could handle. I could not watch to the end...though I saw some good moments.

But early days..more...later.

EDIT: I tried to rewatch K/B and realized what the issue was. It is a shamelessly pretentious P/C copy that is exceedingly embarrassing. Get a new program and quick. They have good skills!

bazin is still copying programs?

muffinplus

Khuda skating to Experience was hilarious considering she said she was not going to be skating to "pretty pop drivel" (what that means I don't know) program about nothing that so many try to copy from Papadakis and Cizeron.

Oh and her RD is to the Artist :lol: I really liked it but Khuda please.

Last edited:

lala

Obviously Kostornaya did not skate the FS. In one interview Pluschenko said that it is because her FS is not quite ready, in today's interview he said that she has an injury and skated SP on pain shots.

Yes, and because her Lp is not ready yet.

DreamSkates

So far, I've only watched the highlights of the ladies short programs (2 groups with the top ladies). Do they get scores or do they need to land certain jumps, and have certain elements? Ranked in some way? Is this how they are chosen for GP placement?

Katesk8sgr8s

Recap of the test skates by Andrei Simonenko:

For those who want to rewatch Kolyada's mesmerizing FS (version with Ted Barton's awestruck comments afterwards :D):

Thanks for posting Sylvia. Cmon Mishin. You gotta crack a smile.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Obviously Kostornaya did not skate the FS. In one interview Pluschenko said that it is because her FS is not quite ready, in today's interview he said that she has an injury and skated SP on pain shots.

Yes, some mixed signals from Kostornaia. If she had (as in one of several “explanations”) no intention to appear in today’s free skates, why did she not announce this at the beginning? That is often done early in a season, as in US club competitions. Now it looks like she decided to bail after a weak SP.

Bigbird

Yes, some mixed signals from Kostornaia. If she had (as in one of several “explanations”) no intention to appear in today’s free skates, why did she not announce this at the beginning? That is often done early in a season, as in US club competitions. Now it looks like she decided to bail after a weak SP.

On the contrary I thought I was lucky to see her at all. There were rumours of injury so I actually thought she would be a no show. I love her weak SP and was glad to see it. And you are right maybe she felt she wasn't quite ready to show a raw FD. I have no beef, people are human beings not robots.

Cherub721

YEAH!
So far, I've only watched the highlights of the ladies short programs (2 groups with the top ladies). Do they get scores or do they need to land certain jumps, and have certain elements? Ranked in some way? Is this how they are chosen for GP placement?

The purpose is to show their programs and get feedback. They aren't scored or ranked, but probably get protocols privately. Generally the skaters invited to the tests are already assigned to the GP but assignments might come into play with new pairs or dance teams or TBD slots (more likely would be that assignments are based off the internal Russian Cup competition series, which also works as a qualifier for nationals; this season all top skaters are expected to participate in two events).

NAOTMAA

Holy moly. That was Russian ballet on ice. When did Kolyada get so good?

He was always that good. It was just competitive nerves that always got in the way.

Plus being away for a whole season took A LOT of the attention and pressure of being the #1 Russian man off of him. There also doesn't appear to be anyone powerful in the federation who seems to be constantly nagging him (TAT and Kovtun anyone?). So he can skate with more freedom because nobody at this moment is really expecting anything big. It should be a lesson the Russian fed. learns but I doubt they ever will

dinakt

He was always that good. It was just competitive nerves that always got in the way.

Plus being away for a whole season took A LOT of the attention and pressure of being the #1 Russian man off of him. There also doesn't appear to be anyone powerful in the federation who seems to be constantly nagging him (TAT and Kovtun anyone?). So he can skate with more freedom because nobody at this moment is really expecting anything big. It should be a lesson the Russian fed. learns but I doubt they ever will

Plus, now he is combining his great SS (which were always outstanding) with a great program (not always the case in the past) and a calm technical approach (Kolyada and Mishin is a great combo).
Kolyada's LP was stunning. Hope he keeps it up and wins something big.

barbarafan

His achilles heel apparently. I had so much hope that we'd actually be seeing some original dynamic piece given the comments of his partner regarding the pointless, snore inducing programs of PC. Then alas I dragged myself out of bed early to see exactly what? Haha.... :rofl: :slinkaway:rofl::rolleyes:
The first time I saw him compete he was announced as doing the choreography himself.. Then they started & it was an old Tessa and Scott program...Too funny.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Plus, now he is combining his great SS (which were always outstanding) with a great program (not always the case in the past) and a calm technical approach (Kolyada and Mishin is a great combo).
Kolyada's LP was stunning. Hope he keeps it up and wins something big.
I would be thrilled with World Champion this season (or Shoma). It would be nice to have several champs going into the Olympics.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Why would anyone, let alone Eteri and company give a 14 year old child Bolero? :rolleyes: :slinkaway I am just speechless. You could see the discomfort in her eyes. And they've been working on this for some time. Do the girl a solid and give her a new programme. Ugh...

Isn’t Boléro an orchestral piece without a storyline though? I don’t get how it’s inappropriate.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Koldyada was exquisite. After finishing 4th at Worlds in 2016 I thought for sure he would be on the podium in the next round or two, but between injuries and nerves, he has been terribly inconsistent. This is a great start for him, and let's hope he's able to add more quads so that he can compete for a medal. He's got them, or has had them in the past. I hope Mishin is working his magic and making them consistent.

NAOTMAA

I think Kamila looked a bit rushed and sloppy (it is after all the first performance) but I wouldn't give up on her Bolero just yet. There were a few brief moments that looked really good and with more mileage it could possibly come together and become something. I think the parts are there.

It's not the Carolina/Plisetskaya way but different and it still kept my attention. I found it interesting in an odd and strange way just as I did the first time I saw "Stairway to Lenin" on the ARTS channel :shuffle:

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Holy moly. That was Russian ballet on ice. When did Kolyada get so good?

This video is blocked,but a general comment. Kolyada was always great artistically, with excellent basics. His problem has been lack of consistent jumps. He could land a quad lutz and then mess up easier jumps. If he could get that with his coaching change, he could become a contender for a world medal. I think he is a natural artist, so he is not likely to lose that if he works more on his jumps.

lala

LOL! She arrived to the Academy one month ago. She must learn two new programs and she didn't train for two weeks in the end of July. And there was a rumour about her injury if you read the thread about her switch you can see it. I don't think the SP was so weak as you said.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

Isn’t Boléro an orchestral piece without a storyline though? I don’t get how it’s inappropriate.
From Wikipedia:
A scenario by Rubinstein [the female lead dancer] and Nijinska [choreographer] was printed in the program for the premiere:[4]
Inside a tavern in Spain, people dance beneath the brass lamp hung from the ceiling. [In response] to the cheers to join in, the female dancer has leapt onto the long table and her steps become more and more animated.
Ravel himself, however, had a different conception of the work: his preferred stage design was of an open-air setting with a factory in the background, reflecting the mechanical nature of the music.[5]

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
From Wikipedia:
A scenario by Rubinstein [the female lead dancer] and Nijinska [choreographer] was printed in the program for the premiere:[4]
Inside a tavern in Spain, people dance beneath the brass lamp hung from the ceiling. [In response] to the cheers to join in, the female dancer has leapt onto the long table and her steps become more and more animated.
Ravel himself, however, had a different conception of the work: his preferred stage design was of an open-air setting with a factory in the background, reflecting the mechanical nature of the music.[5]

The most famous ballet BOLERO is by Maurice Bejart...usually a sexy man atop a big round table, watched by a bunch of men. Less often, it’s a woman atop the table, also watched by men. Always men watching.

The Nijinska original was thought to be lost for 90 years but was revived a few years ago by Andries Liepa’s troupe.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Bolero isn't an inappropriate piece in the sense that we usually mean inappropriate. It's a difficult piece. You have that constant repetition right alongside a steady build. It takes a performer with a lot of sensitivity and musicality to really grasp the piece and make it work. And that's why many of us would balk at giving it to a 14-year-old, even a very talented 14-year-old.

Last edited:

Bigbird

Kostornaia has the skating and interpretation skills for Bolero. Kamila though having excellent stretch and posture has choppy basic skating and she doesn't understand a need for change in intensity. As yet she doesn't understand the program as a whole but as was mentioned earlier maybe she will use this for two seasons and grow into it. I just think age wise it's above her. Eteri had so many other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information