From Russia With Love [#37]: Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Ellish was supposed to be Kostornai’s LP before the switch, right?

It seems like Aleona wanted an Ellish program so they made it the SP. I think it was a slight improvement on the Dani G formula, but still not great. I have no doubt Kostornaia will bring it once she gets the 3 axel back, regardless of program quality.

Sylvia

TBD
Singer's same but the music different? I saw a few clips of it by DG, some time ago but I don't know where to find it now.
Posted in the Programs/Choreographers thread back on July 10:
Alena Kostornaia fragment of FP https://www.instagram.com/p/CCeMxeaIxs5/?igshid=fxkib3w7i3es

Music: ItsAMoney "Lovely", Galpe "Lovely", "Lovely" by Billie Eilish and Khalid
Choreo: Daniil G. and Eteri T.
So it's still a program to Eilish but a different one?
Yes.
Ellish was supposed to be Kostornai’s LP before the switch, right?
Right.

hanca

Values her privacy
Anna and Camila were the two best skaters in the SP at this event, judging by comments on the Russian sites and in actuality. Trusova was clean, slightly more expressive than usual. The rest of the Ladies messed up on jumps, in various ways, even Kostornaya.

I loved Anna's programme, she said in the post-skate interview that it supposed to be more calm and restrained because it is about a "loss" (Anna's rescue dog passed away recently after battling cancer). Camilla was just perfection herself, smooth, floating and limber. Sasha was powerful with clean solid jumps and more expression in the upper body.

Anyone who is annoyed with Eteri's success finds something wrong with the programme.... it's a standard practice with fans. But it does not stop her from winning..... :)
I think it is debatable. I found Trusova better than Scherbakova and Valieva. Scherbakova and Valieva were like twins - same type of program, similar dress, in fact, if Valieva wasn’t more flexible, they would be complete copies of each other. It may not be noticeable this season when Valieva still has to be in juniors, but here at the test skates when they skated after each other, it was very obvious. I liked last season how Tutberidze managed to make each of 3A different personalities on the ice - Scherbakova was the lyrical skater, Trusova was the was the warrior (the sporty style of skating) and Kostornaya was the kid with amazing basic skating. This season, Scherbakova and Valieva are styled exactly the same.

lala

Okay, to each their own. But my favourite was still Aliona, just love the freshness. I like being surprised. I've re-watched it several times, the others I've already forgotten. But I'm excited about the free dance. That will be more difficult. I wouldn't be surprised if she withdrew, she hasn't had much time to prepare.

Does anyone know the music each young lady will be skating to tomorrow?

I read Russian site..I have doubt they think Kamila and Anna were the best..
Anna and Camila were the two best skaters in the SP at this event, judging by comments on the Russian sites and in actuality. Trusova was clean, slightly more expressive than usual. The rest of the Ladies messed up on jumps, in various ways, even Kostornaya.

I loved Anna's programme, she said in the post-skate interview that it supposed to be more calm and restrained because it is about a "loss" (Anna's rescue dog passed away recently after battling cancer). Camilla was just perfection herself, smooth, floating and limber. Sasha was powerful with clean solid jumps and more expression in the upper body.

Anyone who is annoyed with Eteri's success finds something wrong with the programme.... it's a standard practice with fans. But it does not stop her from winning..... :)

Wich site? The sports.ru forum's comments? :sick::sick::sick: Oh, dear...of course...

Polaris

I think it is debatable. I found Trusova better than Scherbakova and Valieva. Scherbakova and Valieva were like twins - same type of program, similar dress, in fact, if Valieva wasn’t more flexible, they would be complete copies of each other. It may not be noticeable this season when Valieva still has to be in juniors, but here at the test skates when they skated after each other, it was very obvious. I liked last season how Tutberidze managed to make each of 3A different personalities on the ice - Scherbakova was the lyrical skater, Trusova was the was the warrior (the sporty style of skating) and Kostornaya was the kid with amazing basic skating. This season, Scherbakova and Valieva are styled exactly the same.

You voiced what I am thinking. Valieva and Scherbakova are very similar right now, with Valieva being the upgraded version of Scherbakova due to her stretch and flexbility. They even look sort of similar.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Actually, Valieva's program isn't that different from her program last season. It seems to be a signature style for her so far. Since the only time they'll really compete against each other will be Russian nationals, what difference does it make? I hope Valieva will have a chance at another Junior World title before she turns senior next year. I'm glad she got to do this since the JGP was cancelled.

hanca

Values her privacy
Actually, Valieva's program isn't that different from her program last season. It seems to be a signature style for her so far. Since the only time they'll really compete against each other will be Russian nationals, what difference does it make? I hope Valieva will have a chance at another Junior World title before she turns senior next year. I'm glad she got to do this since the JGP was cancelled.
They will be competing against each other the next season, and that’s the season that counts. So either one of them will be forced to try a completely different style during the most important season, or they may have to hope that they won’t be skating after each other.

hanca

Values her privacy
I'm sure they'll sort it out before next season.
How exactly do you suggest they can sort that out? If both girls are strongest in the exactly same style, it means that one of them will be forced to experiment with a new style in the olympic season, or that they will again have similar programs/packaging, which can be problematic if they skate after each other. I can’t see any third option.

Changing style is always risky. It may work, or it may be a complete disaster and then it may be too late to change the program. One can’t make Mao Asada from Leonova.

hanca

Values her privacy
I still prefer Anna. Her musicality has gotten even better than it was.
I prefer Trusova to Scherbakova and Valieva. But if I had to choose between Scherbakova and Valieva, I wouldn’t know who to choose. Each of them has something the other hasn’t got - Scherbakova seems to me more musical and expressive, Valieva has the amazing extensions - but overall they are so similar that there is no significant difference. If Scherbakova still has the quads, I will go with her because she would win it on technical score, otherwise they are pretty equal.

starrynight

If I were to pick the Olympic team today, it would be Trusova, Valieva and Scherbakova. I would imagine Kamila and Anna's growth spurts are probably mostly over and Trusova is so incredibly fit, I don't think hers are going to matter, plus, her mother is really tiny. Tuk and Sofia, I don't see it happening. Med, sorry, but they're better. As for Kostornaia, she's always a mystery. The biggest issue with her is motivation and fragile emotions. But, it's a long two seasons to the games.

I mean, all the ladies are brave and fabulous for showing full programs to an audience at this stage of the season.

We shouldn't be harsh on any of them. And for the older ladies the reality is that there will be a longer recovery period to full peak. Particularly the St Petersburg skaters who got back onto ice much much later than the Moscow skaters.

There are videos of Tukt completing a 3A in practice at the test skates, so the jump is there - as she said in an interview, shape is at about 60%-65% at the moment. She noted that it was important to take the process calmly so as to avoid injury.

The braveness of the ladies is remarkable in that they are serving themselves up for judgement so early. Gosh, I read that world champ ice dancers Papadakis/Cizeron haven't even yet recovered shape to do a whole program in practice without being out of breath - so that is the benchmark of where other athletes are at the moment.

muffinplus

Anna and Kamila did have the best musicality/performances. I love their musical choices. Billie Eilish is a horrible music choice IMO. I know Alena likes it, but it doesn't lend itself well to a short program.

Sasha is much improved in everything, though I still don't see this as her style of program

NAOTMAA

a few thoughts

I'm I the only one who see's the similarity between Anna and Evgenia? They both have a lyrical and fragile look to them yet are still able to project strength in their skating. It was a solid debut and the program looks in her comfort zone so she should have no problem being more free interpretation wise as the season progresses.

I HATE HATE HATE (times a trillion!) Billie Eilish so I'm totally biased in hating Alena's program. Frankly it just looked like she was speed skating through it and not much else, not much interpretation of anything. Maybe the program is just too new and not totally finished? But like I said I'm biased :lol:

Masquerade Waltz is way too powerful of Evgenia. If she wanted a waltz it should have been something like Shostakovich #2 or My Sweet and Tender Beast.

Aleksandra was very solid even if the program is nothing special or memorable. I'm not sure if the music is going to show her off at her best but at least she's trying. Overall she looks strong but of course early on last season she looked strong as well and we know how that ended up. I also noticed that elsewhere people are already going over the top with the proclamations of grand improvements in her skating in a similar way they did with Evgenia right after she left Eteri. I guess that was bound to happen :shuffle:

Kamila appears to be the best of Anna, Aleksandra and Alena put together so I can see why everyone thinks she's the one to beat. The hyper extension when I first saw her skating looked odd to me (especially on the landings of her jumps) but I have gotten used to it and at least she appears stable and comfortable when she does it and I don't worry she's about to accidentally fall due to it.

Liza. I don't know it just looks like typical a Liza/Mishin production to me so there isn't much else to say

Last edited:

all_empty

Here are my thoughts without having read any previous prior threads.

Valieva and Scherbakova were the standouts for me, with Valieva getting highest marks. Both have visibly grown (which is to be expected) but maintained their flexibility and lightness. Nice to not hear the old warhorses again. The 3Lo in Scherbakova's combo was iffy -- I'm wondering if that'll be the differentiator for the women (much like Kostornaia's 3A was last season) since they're all pretty much doing the same elements and backloading with the combos.

Kostornaia, who was my favorite last season, also looks to have grown. I like her and I like Billie Eilish, I just don't really care for this program. I feel it's a bit similar to the second half of her FS last year, and after her brilliant previous SP I was hoping for something inspired. The toe jumps looked really muscled (she picks "hard") and without the 3A she may find herself falling behind her former training mates.

Tuktamysheva, what can I say? I go to Vegas a lot, and her costume looks like one a server at Caesar's Palace would wear. However, congrats to her waxer. She needs the 3A even more than Kostornaia. The 3Lz was a beauty though. And I respect her longevity.

Somodurova didn't do it for me either, I'm afraid. I think this program has potential choreographically (nice to not see her do a Latin or shimmy shimmy number) but the jumps are so small.

Medvedeva looked to be in good shape and I think she's grown into a beautiful young woman. I found the music a little repetitious and uninspired (so many Russian women have skated to this). I felt she was lacking expression until the step sequence and I'm not quite so sure about that ending pose. The 2A is still wonky and her money jump -- the 3F -- didn't work this time.

Trusova really didn't do it for me. I felt she skated through the music, which felt dated circa 15 years ago (Elena Liashenko had a great program, though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qq9Gh1_qYs). I don't find her to be a lyrical skater and would prefer her skating to Somodurova's music or something more modern.

Tinami Amori

I read Russian site..I have doubt they think Kamila and Anna were the best..
Wich site? The sports.ru forum's comments? :sick::sick::sick: Oh, dear...of course...
You're a skating fan, and i see you have no idea how many LiveJournal and Zen figure skating chats there are ... dozens and dozens. Don't limit yourself to sports.ru or FSO.... :cool:

Tinami Amori

Channel one has all the videos from 09-12-20. Dance, Pairs, Men and Women all mixed in, not in order.

muffinplus

Aleksandra was very solid even if the program is nothing special or memorable. I'm not sure if the music is going to show her off at her best but at least she's trying. Overall she looks strong but of course early on last season she looked strong as well and we know how that ended up. I also noticed that elsewhere people are already going over the top with the proclamations of grand improvements in her skating in a similar way they did with Evgenia right after she left Eteri. I guess that was bound to happen :shuffle:

I definitely somewhat agree with you that people are going over the top re her musical interpretation improvement, which I feel she still doesn't have for the type of music they chose, but I do think she has improved quite a bit in non-jump areas.

NAOTMAA

on the subject of Liza again

I hope it's just because it's very early in the season and it's the first performance but that had to be the weakest Spartacus adagio I have ever seen from a skater. The music just made her skating style (iconic noodle arms and all :D) look very cumbersome and highlighted her deficiencies (lack of speed, power, music interpretation). She looked like a sleepwalking zombie. She may have an epic larger then life personality off the ice but her skating is anything but that. Where was the passion and the energy? Do they know what that selection of music is about? One of the most iconic climaxes in music and it came and went like nothing. I hope they give her a shot of adrenaline or something for her next performance because she needs it.

I know I'm probably being too harsh on her but considering the last two seasons I feel like there should have been a greater sense of urgency regardless of what time in the season it is.

lala

You're a skating fan, and i see you have no idea how many LiveJournal and Zen figure skating chats there are ... dozens and dozens. Don't limit yourself to sports.ru or FSO.... :cool:

Will Kostornaya skate today or not?

Hedwig

Antique member
Kolyada :swoon: that was pure magic.

Other than that the most memorable thing was the blatant pre rotation for Scherbakova‘s flip. It was always bad when she did a quad but now she even rotates nearly a full rotation on the ice for a tripe :eek:

Ka3sha

Kostornaia is getting a new LP from a North American-based choreographer and it is still a work in progress.
Shae-Lynn Bourne choreographed hew new LP (using Skype)

3T3T

It was great to see some figure skating again. With the long time of ice I wasn’t expecting to see the skaters in top shape but everyone did well.

My top performances were Pairs with my favourites being M/G and B/K. Amazing work by team Moskvina. M/G looked like a completely new team, great improvement in such a short time, they are a real threat for Top 3in Russia. The Russians have 5 world class teams. I was impressed with K/B. i wonder what P/R would have shown? T/M will have to hit the ground running If they want their number 1 spot back.

Great to see Kolyada back and skating so well. It seems Ted wasn’t aware of his move to Mishin. Ignatov also impressed along with Mozalev. Samarin has worked hard to improve his skating, still not my favourite but with his TEShe is a threat. Ice dance looked. A bit week without the Top 2, my favourites was M/B and K/B were much better than I expected.

For the ladies, I was really impressed with Trusova. She has worked hard to improve her non TES and Plushenko and his team have done good work. I didn’t like the Billie English programme from Alena but with her late switch I would thinks things are far from complete. Both girls from TeamT looked the same to me, both seem to have grown a lot. I thought Anna S looked heavy in her skating and I thought the flip was majorly cheated. I was disappointed with Med, I liked the MW but I didn’t think it worked for her, still it’s early days. I was expecting Gulyakova and Sinitsina to be there, were they not invited?

Marco

I always felt Mikhail had it all within him, he just needs some consistency and choreography to win it all. With Mishin he should be able to nail the former, but is almost guaranteed to regress on the latter.

Anna to me was very boring to watch. And I HATE that leg lift she does after the 2axel. Either hold it or don't do it at all. I much prefer the cleaner flip landing but not sure if it was intentional or just a result of a weaker landing causing her to abort those hectic transitions.

Kamila was beautiful as usual. She seemed to have been the least influenced by the awful choreography her school gave its students. For the most part she took her time and held out her moves. A rarity in her school. Such a vision. Please give her a real choreographer.

I was not as impressed by Sasha as others made it out to be. The hectic moves that bore no relation to the music remained and are only going to worsen under Plushenko's tutelage. She did seem to be skating 'larger' which was great to see.

Glad to hear that Aliona is asking help from SLB. I sort of forgave her horrible free program last season because her overall skating was so beautiful, but sadly this trend seems to be continuing this season. Time to stop all those sound effects and skate an actual program. That short program looked hastily put together without much of a point, and her new coach obviously wasn't going to care.

Evgenia was showing more expression than ever and was probably the most musical of the bunch (bar was not high). Was this short program also remotely choreographed? The fan cam version I saw showed very poor ice coverage. Other than that this was probably my favorite program of the night.

Elizaveta skating to slow, classical style was just all sorts of wrong. She wasn't pacing her skating to the tempo, she wasn't stretching, she wasn't highlighting the beautiful nuances of the music, it was a letdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information