From Russia with Love [#34]: Autumn 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanca

Values her privacy
I am not sure it is such a good idea for Starr Andrews to skate to Dance of 7 Veils, portraying Salome, who is an under-aged jailbait that seduces her mother's husband (her step-father King Herod) right in front of her own mother, then performs a striptease and demands as a reward to have the head of John the Baptist cut off and brought to her on a plate..... :D

... and "please don't make me love you" could have been said by Juliette in a modern version of Romeo and Juliette.... who was 13.. :lol:

.... skating to any form of "romantic Vampires" is condoning grotesque mass murderers, not to mention the original Prince.
.... skating to "Scheherazade" is condoning rape, murder and women enslavement.
.... skating to Tango from "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" is condoning killers for hire and a husband/wife trying to kill each other.
.... Turandot is a man-hatress who killed all her suitor for not solving a riddle.
.... Eva Peron is a murderous dictator and a harlot.
...... etc....... :lol:
You are right, but usually it is only a problem when the skater the poster doesn’t like skates to any of those. Hypocrisy, but everyone is on their high horse deciding what is and is not appropriate.

Tinami Amori

The skaters that actually rotate jumps on the correct edges are being put on level playing fields with skaters that don't have the best jumping days or flat-out don't have great jumping technique to begin with. I'd much rather see them being strict across the board and have a missed call here or there (not to the extent of Tennell's missed triple at Skate America or Uno's non-called << in France), than the opposite.
Need your expertise on this one. Medvedeva's 3Lz during yesterday's practice. What's your take on quality?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Need your expertise on this one. Medvedeva's 3Lz during yesterday's practice. What's your take on quality?

I'm not Tony but 1) that's a flutz and 2) clearly underrotated.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am not sure it is such a good idea for Starr Andrews to skate to Dance of 7 Veils, portraying Salome, who is an under-aged jailbait that seduces her mother's husband (her step-father King Herod) right in front of her own mother, then performs a striptease and demands as a reward to have the head of John the Baptist cut off and brought to her on a plate..... :D

... and "please don't make me love you" could have been said by Juliette in a modern version of Romeo and Juliette.... who was 13.. :lol:

.... skating to any form of "romantic Vampires" is condoning grotesque mass murderers, not to mention the original Prince.
.... skating to "Scheherazade" is condoning rape, murder and women enslavement.
.... skating to Tango from "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" is condoning killers for hire and a husband/wife trying to kill each other.
.... Turandot is a man-hatress who killed all her suitor for not solving a riddle.
.... Eva Peron is a murderous dictator and a harlot.
...... etc....... :lol:

It was not a good idea for 15 year old Michelle Kwan to skate to Salome/ dance of the seven veils either. I refused to see that opera when there was a performance here. The story sounded disgusting.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

Yup, definite ‘e’ flutz and underrotated enough to warrant a <

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Tarasova / Morozov are in danger of not making the final
if they dont win tomorrow. Thier only hope is MT/M flub their next total scores in NHK and place 3rd or 4th.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Can someone explain the scoring in the men's recent sp? It looks to me like overly political scoring. I was all set to enjoy Samarin because I think he's very likeable and he's an intense competitor with bravura technical skills. Plus, he's improved a bit in music selection and smoothing out his skating. I was rooting for him to lay down a great skate, so the mistakes were disappointing. It seemed like he was rushing or wanting it too bad on the second quad. And then he had the step-out on the 3-axel. Those mistakes should not have had him at 92+ and in first.

I realize Samarin could have been near or over 100 had he skated clean, but he's not the best aesthetic skater and with those mistakes his PCS should have been dropped and they weren't. They remained right where they usually are even though they are always too high at 42+. It is completely laughable that Samarin scored higher than Deniss Vasiljevs on PCS. :eek: :rolleyes: :drama:

Samarin paid nothing for his errors except for the obligatory deductions, without any additional take-down, which happens to most skaters who make mistakes, unless they are favored top level skaters. This is pure rep and political scoring with placements apparently based partly on preconceived ideas about where each skater should be slotted.

With those errors, Samarin should be in only second or third at the most. If they felt he should be ahead of Ignatov, then Samarin's score should be no higher than 88 or 89 with those errors. Even Samarin and his coaches seemed uncomfortable with the scores. They weren't exactly celebrating. Samarin had a quizzical look on his face, and his coaches seemed taken aback or a bit embarrassed.

It doesn't do skaters any good to be over-scored when they make errors. It hasn't helped Shoma. It hasn't helped the confidence of T/M. It never helped Patrick Chan. Probably deep down, Samarin isn't feeling good about not skating well and being in first place over his countrymen Ignatov and Aliev, who skated relatively clean.

I don't think Aliev's sp is very interesting, so perhaps that hurt him a little. Aliev didn't get great GOE on some of his elements. Unfortunately, Aliev's fp music really doesn't enhance his skating this season. Ignatov is young and still developing, so it's probably the quad which had Ignatov edging out Deniss Vasiljevs who is a much better performer and more polished, despite not having a consistent quad. Those two are practically tied with poor Shoma, who is still in some kind of funk.

This certainly sets Samarin up for the win, if he can forget about the sp and not let the questionable over-scores impact him. The sport lacks credibility with this type of scoring, which routinely occurs, and is confusing to general audiences.

muffinplus

Yup, definite ‘e’ flutz and underrotated enough to warrant a <

Her 3 flip - 3 toe today had about 180 pre-rotation on the flip, and roughly 3/4 on the toe. Not a single peep about it. (not from you, just on average, reading skating forums)

I think she gave a really nice performance and I don't care about this, but again, it just shows you that prerotation becomes a widely discussed issue only in certain cases...

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Her 3 flip - 3 toe today had about 180 pre-rotation on the flip, and roughly 3/4 on the toe. Not a single peep about it. (not from you, just on average, reading skating forums)

I think she gave a really nice performance and I don't care about this, but again, it just shows you that prerotation becomes a widely discussed in issue only in certain cases...
Med's loop had a potential UR.

And the combo should have been in review at least.

Tinami Amori

I don’t know how to make gif’s. Go watch the replay online. Watching it live, both of those jumps were borderline and I posted as much in the PBP thread.

That's a poor form of argument - "go see for yourself".. ;)

While watching in real-time I thought the 3t in her combination was ur. I am a huge fan of Trusova so it’s not like I am looking for flaws in her.
I don't make gifs often either. here is a quick one on some gif making site.

It's less than 1/4 of a circle, that is acceptable according to the rules.

Tinami Amori

This time real "skating" in a new commercial/advertisement, Anna Scherbakova in WINK interactive TV Service/by Rostelecom. (2nd part is "watch the Stars of Figure Skating on Channel #1")

Mad for Skating

But it's a reference to bible. Why is ot bad?

I know! It’s a beautiful song and story. Ah, my parents are odd folk!

Finally found Stolbova / Novoselovs new SP Music
It sounded familar and yes its music from movie Lucy by Scarlett Johansson

OMG I didn’t know that’s where it came from! I like it though!
Ksenia should totally skate a Black Widow-themed program sometime :)

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Tarasova / Morozov are in danger of not making the final
if they dont win tomorrow. Thier only hope is MT/M flub their next total scores in NHK and place 3rd or 4th.

I wonder if not having Zabiiako and Enbert to push them this season has anything to do with it. They seem to be phoning it in somewhat.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Samarin and Aliev are in the GPF,
Makar can still make it with a medal in NHK

Jason Brown has a Japan curse right ? he never podiums there.

kalle

I don't think there is any chance that Medvedeva will land one, let alone two quad-axels by Russian Nationals, but she's not going to the Grand Prix Final so she'll have some extra time so maybe.

4A's=Alina,Alena,Sasha and Anna no?
I dont think anybody is expecting Janny to land a quad Axel :p

Finsta

I don’t think Medvedeva will get a medal at Nationals or qualify for GPF. But I also don’t know that Sasha or Anna will be as relevant next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information