From Russia with Love [#33]: Summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrynight

I saw an interview with Mishin where he said that Tuktamysheva is in the best shape of her career for an offseason. So that's promising.

Not long until we see everyone at the test skates. I know that an off season exhibition isn't much of an indication as to what will happen over the season, but it will be interesting to see.

Perky Shae Lynn

They look really good. I always thought he was kinda cute. She looks happy. Can’t wait to see them skate! LOL at Morozov’s jacket spelling “Canada” in huge letters :lol:
This is the most relaxed I have ever seen Stolbova. She never looked like that with Klimov. Sometimes the energy is right, and sometimes it isn't. The tension between Ksyu & Fedor was palpable, and I don't think it was a matter of who was "nice" and who wasn't. It just didn't work between them, as people.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Wasn't he saying the same last season?
I'm pretty sure he says that every season. :lol: They both know what she needs to do to make the European or World team again. Last season was bad luck with her illness and some manipulation by the Federation with the World team. She'll do what she does and see how it stacks up against the rest of the Russian women. It's just too bad Russia only has three spots for either, but it is what it is and if the spots go to the top three, I'm fine, regardless of who those three may be. Let the games begin.

Mad for Skating

This is the most relaxed I have ever seen Stolbova. She never looked like that with Klimov. Sometimes the energy is right, and sometimes it isn't. The tension between Ksuy & Fedor was palpable, and I don't think it was a matter of who was "nice" and who wasn't. It just didn't work between them, as people.

Yes, I agree 100%! I also think Mozer didn’t help things; towards the end, she started acting like the real drama queen of the group (her comments towards Ksenia after the split were anything but pleasant). Also, Trankov made it pretty clear that he liked Fedor and disliked Ksenia, so that must’ve been awkward too.
I think this arrangement looks much better, although I still wish it was Moskvina or the Velikovs coaching her instead of Morozov.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Yes, I agree 100%! I also think Mozer didn’t help things; towards the end, she started acting like the real drama queen of the group (her comments towards Ksenia after the split were anything but pleasant). Also, Trankov made it pretty clear that he liked Fedor and disliked Ksenia, so that must’ve been awkward too.
I think this arrangement looks much better, although I still wish it was Moskvina or the Velikovs coaching her instead of Morozov..
She's a big girl and knows who she wants as a coach. Let's just wait and see what happens. Moreover, I think she'd rather be the focus and not just one of many teams Both of those coaches have plenty of other teams and I'm pretty sure they don't want to relegated to second tier.

Mad for Skating

She's a big girl and knows who she wants as a coach. Let's just wait and see what happens. Moreover, I think she'd rather be the focus and not just one of many teams Both of those coaches have plenty of other teams and I'm pretty sure they don't want to relegated to second tier.

That’s true, I guess I didn’t think of that. I trust she knows what she’s doing 😀

rfisher

Let the skating begin
That’s true, I guess I didn’t think of that. I trust she knows what she’s doing 😀
That's all you can do. :) There were fans who questioned why Vol/Trankov went to a junior pairs coach who had never coached a senior team. They wanted to be the full focus plus, they primarily needed someone to facilitate things. Their judgement paid off in the OGM they wanted. When new teams comprised of experienced skaters form, it's not uncommon for them to go with a coach who can focus all their attention on them (Morozov has other skaters, but only one elite pair team), rather than try to fit in with coaches with many teams. Whether or not this coach-skaters combination is a winning one, remains to be seen. I trust her.

Eislauffan

It is not "off ice" and not about "love or relationship". People ref-ed me to "Velikov's comments in view". Ialin has acute groin and back issues (as of recently); Kostukovich is having a VERY tough time with "puberty and how it affects her and her health".

In Kostukovich's insta, there is a comment from her friend "hold it together and remember that film we watched "Peacefull Warrior". This film is about an athlete with a serious injury; he meets people who help him overcome.

Polina Kostiukovich/Dmitri Ialin have not split up, they are training. I saw them Saturday at the Academy. They also participated in the test skates of the Petersburg Federation (skated the short program). It is not such an easy time for them with growth and puberty, but hopefully they'll overcome that.

Eislauffan

Video interviews with Sofia Samodurova:

and with Elizaveta Tuktamysheva and Andrei Lazukin (together):
on the Russian Federation's website (in Russian, but I'll try to do subtitles).

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Polina Kostiukovich/Dmitri Ialin have not split up, they are training. I saw them Saturday at the Academy. They also participated in the test skates of the Petersburg Federation (skated the short program). It is not such an easy time for them with growth and puberty, but hopefully they'll overcome that.
I think junior pairs really have difficulty because there is often a difference in age between the boy and the girl and they may each mature at very different rates. It would be frustrating for one partner or the other. Plus, puberty and teenage is difficult in and of itself. I'm crossing my fingers they work through this even if it meant missing part of this season. We'll just have to wait and see what happens with them. I sincerely hope the curse of Polina doesn't hit them. :wuzrobbed

hanca

Values her privacy
I think junior pairs really have difficulty because there is often a difference in age between the boy and the girl and they may each mature at very different rates. It would be frustrating for one partner or the other. Plus, puberty and teenage is difficult in and of itself. I'm crossing my fingers they work through this even if it meant missing part of this season. We'll just have to wait and see what happens with them. I sincerely hope the curse of Polina doesn't hit them. :wuzrobbed
It is such a bad timing though. Next season they have to go seniors because Ialin will not be age eligible for juniors anymore. If they want to get GP events, they really need to get high season best or get enough world ranking points. Unfortunately, Russia has now quite a few senior pairs, unlike a year or two ago, so they can’t even count on getting the home event.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
It is such a bad timing though. Next season they have to go seniors because Ialin will not be age eligible for juniors anymore. If they want to get GP events, they really need to get high season best or get enough world ranking points. Unfortunately, Russia has now quite a few senior pairs, unlike a year or two ago, so they can’t even count on getting the home event.
I know. I'll be heartbroken for them if they don't come through this intact.

starrynight

Wasn't he saying the same last season?

Yes and I would actually rate last season as one of (if not the best if you think of technical content) of Tuktamysheva's career. Sure, the pneumonia derailed things a bit, but that was out of her control. She finished the season on a high with WTT. And from the training videos I've seen, the triple axel looks the steadiest it has ever been for this time of year.

So I would say that Mishin is being correct here.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Nikolai Kolesnikov- Amazing talent. All 6.0's. Is Ilya Averbukh his coach?- Yes he is. Tarasova confirmed it when she called him Ilyushka.

My apologies if this has been posted earlier.

Four Seasons:

I thought he was too young to skate to Four Seasons but he handled it beautifully.

I am already a fan.

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Evgenia Medvedeva and Stanislav Pozdniakov , the President of the Russian Olympic Committee, will held a press conference tomorrow at 11:00 (Moscow time)

J

Jeschke

Evgenia Medvedeva and Stanislav Pozdniakov , the President of the Russian Olympic Committee, will held a press conference tomorrow at 11:00 (Moscow time)
Is this normal business (before test skates) or do we have to expect some drama here? :watch:

Last edited by a moderator:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

This sounds serious, I hope she is not retiring. Could she be changing her country?

RoseRed

This sounds serious, I hope she is not retiring. Could she be changing her country?
I seriously doubt that something like that would be announced with the President of the Russian Olympic Committee. Ditto retirement. Anyways, she's been very clear that she'll never change countries and that she's not retiring now.

starrynight

Or be pregnant...

LOL one sells a story like that to a magazine for big, big dollars. You don't sit down at a free press conference with some random old dude from the Olympic committee.

Skating fans ... we just jump to the most dramatic thing imaginable in 20 seconds. I'm sure it's just an ambassador role like suggested.

Tinami Amori

This is probably either about
  • a) her getting a "thank you letter" or some kind of recognition "symbol" for her role speech to WADA for the Olys 2018, given the Rus. Fed is reinstated by MOC.
  • or b) it is done in order to keep up "in the spot light and to assure high marks when she skates", by interested parties linked all the way to Russia OC, and "they" might grant her some kind of an "ambassador title". These news have been out for over a week (just reached FSU now), and there are already concerns expressed that this is yet another "artificial tactic" (like unprecedented use Russian Cup set up results to place her on the world team) that is used to keep Med on top "by financially interested parties which existed and made financial bets/investments/plans on her win in 2018"... which may lead to audits and corruption investigations of financials of several parties and "transfers to Canada and out-of Russia accounts".
I hope it is not the later, as Russian sport and figure skating in particular does need any more "scandals".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information