From Russia with Love [#33]: Summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Zagitova is a disaster right now... totally out of shape, heavy, bad jumps.
The new Ex on Bad Guy, totally unspired by Daniil.

Heavy? Are you fcuking joking? People like you are the reason eating disorders are so prevalent in this sport. Absolutely vile, disgusting post.

Ladida

I find the exhibition quite cute, it´s a new program and we saw much worse DIY exhibitions from some OMs.
But she really made me miss Adelina´s spirals :inavoid:
After seeing the GP assignments - is the Pantene contest with Medvedeva still on? I find it quite funny - the winner is going to see in Sapporo Alina and not Evgenia :biggrinbo

Finsta

Who cares? Why keep pitting them against each other? They are friends. Lots of pictures with them together in Japan while doing show skating. Just a few posters want to start internet fan fights and drama. The girls get along just fine.

Ladida

Who cares? Why keep pitting them against each other? They are friends. Lots of pictures with them together in Japan while doing show skating. Just a few posters want to start internet fan fights and drama. The girls get along just fine.
I am not applying anything about their relationship. I think they get along well.
I just find it like a beginner´s marketing failure that the company, which is endorsing you, will send the winner to the competition you are not even in. That´s it.

Madison25

Heavy? Are you fcuking joking? People like you are the reason eating disorders are so prevalent in this sport. Absolutely vile, disgusting post.
Yes, she is heavy on the ice...you can notice how heavy her movements are.... I am not talking here about a normal person who doesnt do professional sport, you understand?
Like it or not, weight is a factor in figure skating.
And I am totally against unhealthy diets and unhealthy lifestyle.

Last edited:

barbarafan

If they really wanted to "protect" Alina I seriously doubt they would be sending her to Japan of all places where, outside of her own country women, her toughest competition is.
Maybe they feel she can hold her own unless someone throws out quads. They also don't want her head to head with Med on the off chance she has her quad ready and is clean as you can only pad the Pcs so much without it looking really bad. The fact that they have put Trusova with Med at both their GP's I think shows their pref.for Trusova.

Ka3sha

MatchTV interview with Ruslan Zhiganshin

- It’s been two years since you retired - what have you been doing all this time?
- I started working from the first day. I didn’t take a week off just to rest or do something I couldn’t afford myself doing for many years because of the sports regime. Moreover, my decision was deliberate and thought out. I stayed on the ice, but in a new role: I work with children, choreograph programs.

- Have you considered any alternatives other than coaching? Participation in ice shows, commentary, business.
- At first I thought to try myself in skating show. Of course, this is an interesting experience for a skater -you have more creativity and freedom. But I still wanted to skate in lead roles, and not to be in the crowd. This requires a constant show partner and I did not have one. The second reason - you have to work at nights and go on endless trips. Almost all the repetitions for the performances are scheduled at night, and I didn’t want to live separately from my family and return home only in the morning, when my family are already leaving for work. So shows didn’t work out for me.

As for the business or any new profession, this is an entirely new area of life and you have to get to know everything, dip into it, study all the processes. Is it possible to start a business project on the go, without proper preparation? I decided that figure skating is the best I can do at this time and that I have to follow my path. I started coaching at the age of 15. My mom is a teacher and and she taught me an approach to the children.

- How did your relatives react to your decision to retire?
- At first, my parents were worried. all, After all, so much energy and soul were put into this sport so my sister and I could do figure skating and compete. Mom even tried to find me a new partner. But over time they resigned.

- What are your sister Nelli and her partner doing nowadays?

- Nelli finally settled in Oberstdorf, she is coaching children together with German figure skater Florian Yust. Sometimes she comes to visit us.

After retiring from figure skating in 2015, Nelli and Alexander Gazsi skated in shows for a while. The audience loved them for their unique programs. I remember that when they went on the ice, got up in the starting position, and the audience had been already laughing and applauding. Now Gazhi lives in Switzerland, took part in the German equivalent of "Stars on Ice". The guys sometimes see each other, skate together in shows and in general, all is good.

- How many children do you have in your group and how old are they?
- I used to constantly work in the same group, but since this February I began to cooperate with the Iceberg sport club. Now I work with different students. There is a youth category (children from 5 to 9 years old), there are older guys, teenagers. By quantity - from 8 to 20 students on the ice. I work in different cities, and groups are different everywhere.

While I was watching you working with children, I noticed characteristic graceful movements and twizzles among young skaters. One feels that their coach is an ice dancer.
- Thank you, it’s nice to hear. I teach them how to glide, how to move with amplitude, how to push, etc. These children are mostly single skaters. They can learn how to jump and spin under the guidance of other coaches. And I work with them on the PCS .

- How can you understand that a child is more suitable for dancing? And where are you looking for partners?
I think the coach can see the perspectives of his student based on his body size, leg length. It happens that a skater jumps badly, he just loses his coordination. But his body is flexible, his lines are beautiful, the steps are more like dance steps. Then this child should try ice dancing. It's great if a partner can be found immediately within the group. More often than not, the guys have to put their with profiles on the forums, or the coaches have to call their colleagues and look for young athletes.
- When did you yourself understand that you should try ice dance?
- I was 9 years old. I think I myself understood little about my own abilities at that time. Coaches put me in a pair with one girl from the group. We did some elements, and it went well. And the age of 11 I got into Irina Lobacheva’s group, where I met Vika Sinitsina.

-Can you name the happiest moment in your career?

Definitely the Olympics. We went there as Rus#3 and didn’t have any pressure on our shoulders. Our coaches said: "Just skate and have fun." I remember that the locker rooms were located under the rink. When the athletes came out, the stands roared, the ice really shook with delight. We sat in the locker room and felt this vibration.

- Favorite program?
It is difficult for me to name only one, so I’ll name a few: finnstep (short dance in the Olympic season), Carmen, The Phantom of the Opera, cowboy dance.
- Your Carmen was awesome. Of all the skaters who skated to this music, you and Ilinykh surprised everyone also because you chose it for the short dance.
That season we had to do pasodouble , so we decided to work it out for the famous “Carmen”. Famous Spanish choreographer and ballet star Antonio Naharro helped us to choreograph the program. The training sessions with him were fantastic: Naharro taught us the spirit of Spanish dancing, the atmosphere of that culture.

- What do you think - why Russian ice dances lost its positions over the past decade?
- One of the reasons is a limited approach. Skaters rarely work with invited experts and professionals, rarely go on internships. I was impressed by the North American training system: top skaters are engaged both in the choreographing process, they do both modern dance classes and the classical ones, take lessons from actors, memes. That is diverse comprehensive preparation. And we, as a rule, have one choreographer in a group, who considers himself multifaceted and can choreograph all the programs himself.

Cooperation with the Antonio Naharro helped me to understand the essence of Spanish dance. During our internship in Shpilband’s group I learned a lot about twizzles. Therefore, I support the knowledge and experience exchange between the coaches. Also in America, Canada and Europe, athletes value their time on the ice much more, as they have to pay for training themselves.

- In one interview, your sister said that modern ice dance does not have enough freedom. This is the only type of figure skating, where a short dance is limited to one theme, there are also some strict criteria for costumes.
- I agree. All teams have to dance rumba, pasodouble, tango, etc. Probably, for the audience it‘s hard to watch all those dances. But when I was competing, I loved compulsory dances much more then some of the free dances.

- Why, in your opinion, Papadakis/Cizeron became untouchable just in one season? What is their secret?
They are unique, they have a very ‘light’ gliding. Very smooth movements, no static positions, as it was in the case with some Soviet athletes. In juniors, Vika and I competed with the French team, sometimes we were ahead of them. Even then it was clear that this is a very promising couple and that they will succeed. They are unique, and notice how Papadakis/Cizeron set new fashion in figure skating with their own dancing style.

- For whom did you root at the Olympics - for the French or for the Canadians?
For no one, I like both couples. And in general, after retirement I don’t like to root for just one team or skater. It is interesting to simply notice some elements in the programs, look for some finds, artistry. As in football, people are watching the process of the game, and I am watching a spectacle on the ice.

- And yet: can you single out any current skaters?
- In ice dance, perhaps, Sinitsina/ Katsalapov. They move in the same direction with the French and are able to compete with them. In men's skating, I like Yuzuru Hanyu and Shoma Uno. I will not speak about the girls, it’s a hot topic. I don’t have any specific preferences in pairs. In general, I am paying attention to the programs, not individual athletes. For example, I was struck by one of Stolbova/Klimov programs- to the music from a Chinese film (their short program from 2014-15 season). Ksenia had amazing skating skills for a Pairs girl.

- And who inspired you in your childhood?
- Averbukh - he was very remarkable skater. But in general, my idol in ice dancing was Maxim Stavisky. His and Albena’s white-suited program from 2007 Worlds is awesome. So many original elements, it gave me goosebumps.

- You practically trained with one coaching team through out your entire career (Alexeeva and Kustarova). This is a big rarity in sports. Do you still have good relationships with them?

- Yes, I left the coaches without any fights. I chose to leave the sport, not just them. I love all my former coaches and thank them for everything. Sometimes we see each other, I recently brought my student them.

- Do you communicate with former partners?
- I am not offended by Vika and Nikita, and am pleased with their success. They are great! We do not communicate, as we don’t have any common friends, but if time falls out, I don’t mind meeting them. In the spring, when I spoke with Peter Durnev and congratulated the guys with their silver at Worlds.

- Now there are a lot of talks about new potential team - Ilinykh/Solovyov ...
- No comments.

- Are you satisfied with your life now?
- In general, yes. I do what I love, I can pass my knowledge to children. I already have an experience in creating program for one pair team, the students of Sergei Dobroskokov. I took out my 13-year-old student on the ice this February, at the "Children of Asia" competition on Sakhalin Island.

I am giving master classes often, I travel a lot. In general, I can not imagine myself sitting in the office, working with papers. Not because I despise such lifestyle, it’s just not my field at all. Recently I received an invitation to work in Europe, but it’s still necessary to solve some formal issues, so I won’t make any statements now.

After retirement, I was thinking about sports management. Now I have an agent, Nikita - he is a magical person, who organizes all my trips and negotiations. And I prefer to do my craft: train the kids, find an approach to them and see the result of our work.

- Are you planning to grow your own champions and go to the main events as a coach?
- For now I prefer helping others. But in the future, yes, I want. The main thing is to take responsibility.
Yes, I dream of going to the Olympics as a coach. I want to bring up an ice dancing couple and get the results I have never achieved myself with them. To justify all spent resources and time. So that everything that happened to me in recent years made sense.

Last edited:

Madison25

@Ka3sha Thanks so much for this translation of the Zhiganshin interview. I had often wondered what happened to him & what he was doing since things ended with him & Ilinykh. Sounds like he is doing well & I enjoyed hearing his thoughts. (Although, eeekk, there is clearly no love lost between him and Elena :scream:)

Yes, it is strange, cause he was asked if he communicates with former partners. He told only about Victoria (and Nikita) not an word about Elena.:confused:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
@Ka3sha Thanks so much for this translation of the Zhiganshin interview. I had often wondered what happened to him & what he was doing since things ended with him & Ilinykh. Sounds like he is doing well & I enjoyed hearing his thoughts. (Although, eeekk, there is clearly no love lost between him and Elena :scream:)
maybe he's of the if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all philosophy.

ice crystal

Yes, thank you for the translation. Strange comment about his mother trying to find a new partner. Didn't we hear at the time that the reason for his retirement was injury?

Tinami Amori

Yes, she is heavy on the ice...you can notice how heavy her movements are.... I am not talking here about a normal person who doesnt do professional sport, you understand?
You're right, weight is a factor in figure skating, and skaters should stay in good thin shape. And while you're getting your new pair of glasses, let me set your mind at ease.

Last days of the show - Alina in Toyama.
In Moscow - 2 days later, after she had her liposuction on the airplane.

Interesting conclusion.... :D given the Japanese fans tweeting from the arena how fun her show was and how she did six 2As in a row.... アリーナちゃん:2A6連
This is a Kobe show, then there was Toyama, and some people are posted from her practices that she is a jumping bean.
She saw Grenoble in 2017! I was there and saw her live. So she didn't choose to go to France to "discover a new French city".
If you're trying to say "she already went to France, so she does not need to see it again" then it's crazy logic. Because, as i said, after she went to France in 2017, she said she wished she had more time to see more of France. Now she has that option... Duh....:rolleyes:

I’m fine with Russia liking to invite their own former skaters (like the young French dance team) but come ON, stop stacking dance and pairs so obviously.

Why? They waited for their turn to pick, followed existing rules, picked from different levels, negotiated with other Federations who had their interests to protect.

And now, with in the guidelines of draws and practices, they came up with what’s best for them. That’s what every Federation does… Nobody picks what’s “worst for them”…. Good for Russian Feds! They take care of their skaters’ interests.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
And I am totally against unhealthy diets and unhealthy lifestyle.

She's fcuking tiny! By any standard! By claiming she is "heavy" when she is so clearly, clearly not, you are supporting unhealthy ideas.

Bigbird

She moves like a truck on the ice now, her movements look very laboured :(.
The good thing now that it is is proved that Danny G and Alina copied Bad Guy, is that we wont probably see this terrible program (in which Zagitova is a real truck).

This is the off season people the girl is tired, besides Zagitova is no Oksana Baiul. She'll pull herself into competition mode when needed. I just hope the other girls will be much more interesting next season because I've never really gotten the hype about her period.

starrynight

Very interesting interview with Ruslan! Thank you for translating!

I will have to make a mental note to look out for him in the future as a coach. He really does seem to be doing the hard work and starting from the ground up with his coaching. Good for him. Maybe we will see him as a big time coach at some point in the future.

Mad for Skating

The new Ex on Bad Guy, totally unspired by Daniil.

I would love to be as “out of shape” as Alina is right now.

Also, it’s summer. The poor girl is on a crazy strict diet for most of the year. Let her just eat.

Tinami Amori

Morozov, Stolbova, Amodio. Amodio Summer Camp. Vaujany, Rhone-Alpes, France.
http://fso.forum.cool/viewtopic.php?id=1208&p=22
Since those fotos are sliding off the page on that side, let me post the fotos themselves.
Ksenya and Nikolay certainly look happy, but no ice cream for her.. :lol:

- Yesterday was Alexandra Trusova's 15th Birthday. She is now a "senior". And she does get an ice cream.. :lol:

- Maxim Kovtun has a new gorgeous girlfriend.... 😍

- Julia Lipnitskaya and Tarasenko are in Iceland.

- Elena Ilinykh and Sergei Polunin are in Italy, at "Tosca" gala in Verona, and then in Portofino on vacation.

- Zagitova, Trusova, Shcherbakova spent a day with special needs kids from the sledge hockey school.
Video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BzGJHvYp6Kb/

Last edited:

Cherub721

YEAH!

Ka3sha

Tamara Moskvina turns 78 today.

New MatchTV documentary “Faces of the country. Tamara Moskvina. Saint-Petersburg.”

Tinami Amori

I do appreciate how she mostly chose pictures where his face tattoo is less visible. :lol:
I think it looks this way because he is taking selfies... :D

This dude has no qualms about his tattoos. He even gives presentations what each one means..... :lol:
He shows them off on National TV and Elena is not worried.... :lol:

--
A "new girl in town with a 3A" - Kseniya Ivanova. Not known at all. Training quietly. Plans to start competing this season in Juniors. Born 2003. Coached by Gromova (Slutskaya's coach).

There is not much info about her. and just 1 official video in competition, in 2018.

Last edited:

Rina RUS

Now Yagudin not only interviews athletes for the Match TV. He also has "The heroes of sport" rubric on the Channel One. It is interesting, that this rubric isn't just ordinary interviews with ordinary athletes.
Once he talked to Vladimir Pozner who works on TV, who is 85 years old - and does sport just for health.
Another time he met the Russian Paralympic athletes - those Russian footballers who are able to win, who have titles.
In the most recent video Yagudin talks to Svetlana Kapanina who is... 39 times World Champion and 7 times Absolute World Champion in aerobatic flights. (I don't know why one can be an "Absolute World Champion" or just a "World Champion")
:) It is funny how Yagudin pretends to be weak - in order to highlight how strong Svetlana is. He almost laughs, when she takes him to her flight, but he continues pretending to be weak.
However... I think partly he is honest. Especially when he says: "I want to live". :)

edited: (Oh, it seems I understand: it seems she is 39 times World Champion in certain kinds of programs)

Last edited:

Amy L

Is this Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva's new partner?

Tinami Amori

Is this Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva's new partner?

No. That's the guy she is "friends" with.
It's Dmitry Bovin and he needs his head checked, based on the stuff he writes in the heading/description on his IG in English....
He is partners with Sonya Kamyshanova
prior to that he had several other partners, Ilianova, Robskaya, etc.

Khudaiberdieva recently said that her new partner is this guy: Andrey Filatov who was skating with Pletneva.

Amy L

No. That's the guy she is "friends" with.
It's Dmitry Bovin and he needs his head checked, based on the stuff he writes in the heading/description on his IG in English....

Yeah, there's nothing more gangsta than being a junior ice dancer from Russia. :lol: He seems like he'd be exhausting to be around but for a teenage girl like Liza she probably thinks he's a rebel.

Tinami Amori said:
Khudaiberdieva recently said that her new partner is this guy: Andrey Filatov who was skating with Pletneva.

Do you know if Nazarov is still skating/found a new partner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information