From Russia with Love [#31]: Winter to Spring 2019

Darkverse

I'm not fan of any diet whatever it is called. If someone is on a regular sport and eating normal amounts (no chips, cola, chocolate, etc between the main meals regularly) he will not become obese. I'm talking about averege people in normal life.
The definition of "normal amounts" can differ a lot between people.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Tarasova/Morozov are going back to Mozer and Vdokhnovenie

https://tass.ru/sport/6098546

After seeing a badly undertrained S/H wow everyone yesterday, anything that helps is a good idea. T/M are the only pair of the same quality (and I’m a J/C fan) but right now T/M are looking at another silver or bronze medal in Jspan at best.

As for food....I’ve never been fat but certainly have been overweight by 10 pounds or so by my own standards. That’s where I was in October when I became ill. Two hospitalizations later, I lost 20 pounds and realized there are worse things than having too thick a middle, like having a hollowed-out face and no strength.

Obviously the parameters are different for older ladies and teenaged girls but the pressure to be thin is internalized and overwhelming. Since I now have firsthand experience with the weight/strength relationship, I’m even more aghast at athletes dieting themselves into nothingness.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Okay, I’m somewhat surprised, but at the same time, I think it’s a good idea. I got the feeling that Evgenia just didn’t gel with Max as a coach, and there’s no shame in going back to Nina. They will do fine.

That is my impression too. From her interview it sounded like she drew strength from Mozer's presence and encouragement. Although Vladimir seemed to like working with Trankov, Zhenya felt lost without Nina's presence. I hope this works. Otherwise I don't see them move up. Right now their best hope may be a bronze at worlds, if they dont get beaten by the number two Chinese pair. Gold and Silver are out of reach, with the return of Sui Han.

I still wish they would find the right coach for them. Their results with Mozer have not been stellar. However, they are likely to end their career with Mozer and never realize their phenomenal potential.

lala

The definition of "normal amounts" can differ a lot between people.

Yes, but everyone can determine a calorie calculator;it depends on age, height, amount of movement,gender.. but there are average values for ex 1500-2000cal for women,, etc

Mad for Skating

That is my impression too. From her interview it sounded like she drew strength from Mozer's presence and encouragement. Although Vladimir seemed to like working with Trankov, Zhenya felt lost without Nina's presence. I hope this works. Otherwise I don't see them move up. Right now their best hope may be a bronze at worlds, if they dont get beaten by the number two Chinese pair. Gold and Silver are out of reach, with the return of Sui Han.

I still wish they would find the right coach for them. Their results with Mozer have not been stellar. However, they are likely to end their career with Mozer and never realize their phenomenal potential.

I think you’re right. They are amazing talents, but I think if they go back to Mozer, they’ll be taking a step back in the long run. It’s important to feel comfortable with your coaches, but it’s also important that they push you past your limits. I think Mozer can get them stabilized to skate well at Worlds, but she might not be able to give them quality programs every year like they deserve - Exhibit A: Candyman.

Still, the goal of the year is Worlds, so maybe they can pull it off there.

Tinami Amori

Tarasova/Morozov are going back to Mozer and Vdokhnovenie

https://tass.ru/sport/6098546
For the record. They are not "going back to Mozer", but "Mozer is getting more engaged in their training, full time". They never left Mozer and she never left/dropped them (in term of break up/coach change). She cut down on her time for health and other reasons (per her own words) and had certain expectations from the Federation. Mozer consulted T/M through the season, attended their competition. Trankov is not going anywhere either. It will be a joint effort.

Here is a more detailed and accurate description of the situation:
https://sport24.ru/news/other/2019-...-prizerov-chm-tarasovoy-i-morozova-k-chm-2019

- Mozer will take participation in T/M preparations/training.
- Per her own words: she was involved in their training (as a consultant) since October 2018 and now she'll simply spend more time with them, and with Maxim there also.
- "Maxim and I have agreed that we will jointly prepare T/M for the Worlds (for better results). (it is not a reflection on Maxim's work) Maxim is doing just fine (on his own, without me), now we will be training at the "Vdohnovenie Skating Club/rink" because that's the rink where T/M were training for 8 years and it would be better for them to train in the atmosphere they are used to. We will train like they used to - 7 hours a day".

Last edited:

Bigbird

For the record. They are not "going back to Mozer", but "Mozer is getting more engaged in their training, full time". They never left Mozer and she never left/dropped them (in term of break up/coach change). She cut down on her time for health and other reasons (per her own words) and had certain expectations from the Federation. Mozer consulted T/M through the season, attended their competition. Trankov is not going anywhere either. It will be a joint effort.

Here is a more detailed and accurate description of the situation:
https://sport24.ru/news/other/2019-...-prizerov-chm-tarasovoy-i-morozova-k-chm-2019

- Mozer will take participation in T/M preparations/training.
- Per her own words: she was involved in their training (as a consultant) since October 2018 and now she'll simply spend more time with them, and with Maxim there also.
- "Maxim and I have agreed that we will jointly prepare T/M for the Worlds (for better results). (it is not a reflection on Maxim's work) Maxim is doing just fine (on his own, without me), now we will be training at the "Vdohnovenie Skating Club/rink" because that's the rink where T/M were training for 8 years and it would be better for them to train in the atmosphere they are used to. We will train like they used to - 7 hours a day".

Non PC response to this lovely news, Trankov got kicked to the curb after Evgenia rightly told all who would hear what a neanderthal he really is.

PC response, see another thread, I just couldn't behave myself any longer. :rofl:

Mad for Skating

What's "told off" to an non-russian, is "a regular conversation" to a russian... :rofl:

I don’t think Evgenia really “told off” anyone. She was just being honest and said that it wasn’t working with Max like it worked with Mozer. Trust me, she’s the least problematic person in the sport, people even asked why she isn’t “b*tchy” like other pair girls. She didn’t say anything wrong.

Bigbird

I don’t think Evgenia really “told off” anyone. She was just being honest and said that it wasn’t working with Max like it worked with Mozer. Trust me, she’s the least problematic person in the sport, people even asked why she isn’t “b*tchy” like other pair girls. She didn’t say anything wrong.

I know that's what irked him the most. She could have ripped him to shreds. Queen Stolbova would have roasted him just right. Now that article I'd have to print and frame my my. I still hold out hope that she'll have a change of heart :)

zebraswan

Non PC response to this lovely news, Trankov got kicked to the curb after Evgenia rightly told all who would hear what a neanderthal he really is.

PC response, see another thread, I just couldn't behave myself any longer. :rofl:

She's trained with him for years and was in his wedding party. You can't possibly believe that she had no clue about his personality before T/M asked him to coach them. And yes, Nina has been involved all along, and Maxim is still in the coaching team - read the quote! You seem to just pick out whatever details suit your fancy, embellish and ignore the rest of the story...some would refer to that as fan fiction.

More on Navka and her tax issues (sounds like Zhulin might be in some trouble too):

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/feb/11/tatiana-navka-us-tax-dmitry-peskov-putin

Russian Cup Final will be shown on 1tv.ru:

https://www.1tv.ru/sport/final-kubk...kataniyu-2018-2019/raspisanie?date=2019-02-21

Last edited:

Rina RUS

Yagudin - about developing of the Belorusian skating (after the European Championship).

Y: If we speak about figure skating (including the Belorusian skating), I'd like to mention your header of the Skating Federation Yulia Komleva who is very ambitious. I know she did much to make this fest in Minsk come true. I know her goals in regards to developing of figure skating in the country. Since I'm going to come often to Minsk (he also has a TV project in Minsk), we'll try to open a figure skating school here. Yet we should remember, that it is relatively lengthy process. /.../ The first step is done. The interest to figure skating will be nourished thanks to the European Championship 2019. Next the country needs coaches.
Q: Are you ready to help to find those?
Y: Yes. Yet I'm only a small part, it depends not only on me. Always a team should work.
https://sportpanorama.by/2019/02/10/aleksej-yagudin-zhivu-mezhdu-minskom-i-moskvoj/

Y: It is the third day of the competition, everything is awesome. /.../ This 15000 arena - Minsk arena - is filled almost 99.99 per cent in evenings. It shows, that there is an interest to the European Championship here. I repeat again and again, that it's impossible to kill love for the ice hockey in Belarus. Now thanks to this love for the ice hockey Minsk has this arena which finds room for 15000 viewers... /.../
Q: How high is the level of figure skating in Belarus?
Y: Hmm... now it has no level. Yet we remember Alexander Kazakov - a single skater. We remember Sergei Davydov who was in one step to the podium of the European competition - he was the fourth. It is not easy to raise figure skating almost from ground zero, yet Belarus has skaters almost in all disciplines, but that is not enough. We are Russians, you are Belarusians - actually, we are similar: our temperament, our set of mind. So you need only to enforce a bit, to be not cruel, but tough, to develop a pattern - and you'll have it. I'm sure Belarus has talented kids. We talked today... as far as I remember there are 32 or 34 ice arenas in your country - so you already have a foundation...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RIHJoz-pTY

Yagudin also held a presentation of the medals for the Universiade in Krasnoyarsk (he was an ambassador and continues working).
https://www.instagram.com/p/Btn1Te8h9bl/
He also skated there and gave a master class.

when Yagudin showed in his instagram, that he also has a new role in theatre, somebody asked: "when do you sleep?... if you do" :)

Averbukh is the director of the Opening ceremony of the Universiade and of the Closing ceremony.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Just for kicks, I've been looking at season's best scores for a lot of the ladies. They fall into definite tiers, with significant gaps between most of them.

Top tier: Alina, Rika
Second tier: Liza, Satoko
Third tier: Sofia, Kaori
Fourth tier: Evgenia, Bradie, Eunsoo, Loena
Fifth tier: Mariah, Elizabet, Stanislava

Plus, Alina, Liza, and Sofia have all either medaled at or won major competitions this season. Evgenia has an ACI medal and a GP medal. Stanislava has a GP medal.

So yes, given the scoring potential everyone has been showing, I would think that it would take quite a lot to knock Alina, Liza, or Sofia off the Worlds team now. Even though Alina earned a 5th-tier score at Europeans, they know what she can do if she has a chance to pull herself together and start hitting her jumps again. As I said somewhere else, she's high-risk, high-reward. Very high reward.

Just a follow-up: Elizabet rose from the 5th tier to the 4th with her score this weekend. If she can land that quad, I'm sure she'll rise even higher! I don't think any of the other top ladies who are going to Worlds (or are possible candidates for Worlds) got new SBs this weekend, including Satoko and Liza at their respective competitions.

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
More on Navka and her tax issues (sounds like Zhulin might be in some trouble too):
I'm not sure why the article is picking out the depreciation deduction on rental properties: that is not tied to marital status and is standard.

Cue Zhulin doing his sad sack impression, saying that he is just a simple lad, having returned to Russia long ago, and he just signs whatever Navka sends him.

Katarzyna

Pitkeev had two things going, figure skating and a punk band. He wanted to make it big in both areas.

I don't think it would be possible to be an active musician and a top figure skater in general and especially in Tutberidze's group. There is a lot of stuff that took place as far his training and making him work hard.. not only with Eteri.

He chose the band.. (in red shirt)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDjwVsusQxU
https://www.instagram.com/phantasm.band/?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=8sils3gstlm7

Is this the newest spin on how another of Eteri’s former students became lazy and unmotivated? :blah:

Adian never gave concerts as long as he tried to stay actively in figure skating. The first public appearances of his band were in the 2nd half of 2018, so when he he already quit with ice dance as his back issues didn’t allow him to continue in dance either. His back problems started in 2015, when he was age 16. There was no talk about playing in a band professionally that time. He just taught himself to play a little bit that time and it’s impressive how quickly he progressed the past years. :)

When asked why he doesn’t compete any longer, Adian just recently answered on his ask that he would still skate today if his back would allow him to jump quads every day:
https://ask.fm/AdikPitkeev/answers/152178144078:wuzrobbed

Also that even treatments abroad when he was already at ZSKA didn’t help:
https://ask.fm/AdikPitkeev/answers/152339344718

So is it really necessary to throw again dirt on him? :rolleyes:

By the way Adian’s group won a prize after their last concert on 30th December 2018 – a professional studio recording. And watching how busy Adian has been coaching since the beginning of 2019 it looks like he loves figure skating so much, that he might be even willing to give up music for his coaching career. He actually was interviewed recently during a coaching camp in Nadym:

Short interview during camp starting at minute 14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GHc1wdWMrE
Studio interview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muX5CFb8mAg

It’s by the way the first time that he officially announces that he retired from active skating (so even from ice dance). Obviously Adian is still very shy and you can see that it’s not easy for him to talk about injuries and that he had to retire. And not a single bad word on Eteri. He is just respectful and polite and I wish he would get the same treatment. :drama:

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

When asked why he doesn’t compete any longer, Adian just recently answered on his ask that he would still skate today if his back would allow him to jump quads every day:
https://ask.fm/AdikPitkeev/answers/152178144078:wuzrobbed

Also that even treatments abroad when he was already at ZSKA didn’t help:
https://ask.fm/AdikPitkeev/answers/152339344718

So is it really necessary to through again dirt on him? :rolleyes:
:D Pitkeev just gave an interview on a regional TV programme.... :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=864&v=muX5CFb8mAg

the interview is long, he is talking about his coaching work for the last 1+ year, young skaters' potentials in remove russian regions, cost of training, how he started skating.. etc. It is not a formal conversation, so some phrases are "summaries".

@ 3:40 he talks about Tutberidze... He was training with Valabueve, she sent him to Tutberidze. @ 5:30 He is asked about "the secrets of Tuberdize's success: really, there are no real secrets, she does not force anybody to do anything. we just come to practice.. so imagine the situation... now for example, there are 3 best girls in the country skating... Kost, Trus, all of them (Valieva, Zag, Shcher)... just the best, i think all skaters in her group are geniuses... and they all practice together, not just these girls, ...a whole bundle of them. parents bring kids to the rink... it does not matter how old the kid is, sure there are certain requirements/expectations... if kid is not willing, he does not have to.. he can just leave or try to do it.

Yes, there are injuries.... (but they can be prevented) if one follows a regiment, prepares physically, watches weight/diet, come to training on time. But! the any sport on high level means "injuries".. even in car-racing (formula 1) there are injuries.

There are differences (in training methods) between my old rink and last rink (sambo). the last one (sambo) has better conditions. Also, seeing all these great skaters in this group are motivating to do more, they all skate so fast, some shooting out triples, some quads, and i only had 1 triple, so i wanted to learn more/do better myself, so yes there is a difference. (then he talks about being motivated when winning medals, and not so when not).
:p It's amazing how Pitkeev, Shelepen, few others, when no longer skaters themselves and no longer depended on Eteri or worry about their reputations, now when coaching themselves, suddenly see the light, how "not bad" Eteri was.. :lol:

Last edited:

Katarzyna

Pitkeev just gave an interview on a regional TV programme....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=864&v=muX5CFb8mAg
….
Also, seeing all these great skaters in this group are motivating to do more, they all skate so fast, some shooting out triples, some quads, and i only had 1 triple, so i wanted to learn more/do better myself, so yes there is a difference. (then he talks about being motivated when winning medals, and not so when not).

I linked that interview already above. Like I mentioned not a single bad word on Eteri. But what is your point? That it is proof nothing went wrong here? First Adian is a polite person, (unlike Eteri) he would not wash dirty laundry in public. And second do you really expect any of Eteri’s ex-students who are just starting their coaching career to accuse her of anything? :rolleyes: Russia’s current No. 1 coach who is obviously in best relations with RF and other sport officials? Adian and others are just not in the position to say anything bad yet, even if they wanted to. :bloc:

And about not forcing anyone – Eteri herself once stated that Adian didn’t want to compete at Euros (he was sick after Russian Nationals). So if he didn’t want to go, guess who was very convincing? :p

Tinami Amori

First Adian is a polite person, (unlike Eteri) he would not wash dirty laundry in public.
Her former students, once coaches themselves, are interestingly enough, becoming "very polite, give her praises and say nothing bad"... just when they are out of her influence, looking back at the past, and having to work with students themselves... that's my point.

... and then about 4-5 interviews came out in the last 2 weeks, by Averbukh, Kostomarov, Navka, Butyrskaya.... all saying "the hate and invented critique against Eteri is nothing else but ENVY".. i have links... :lol:

Kostomarov: "All the cirtique against Eteri - is blind envy".
https://russian.rt.com/sport/news/598589-kostomarov-tutberidze-kritika-zavist

Averbukh - "Critique of Tutberidze - is some kind of envy"
https://www.championat.com/other/ne...utberidze-eto-nekaja-trenerskaja-revnost.html

Butyrskaya - "Tutberdize does not force anyone to do anything, students just know if they are lazy, they'll be out".
https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1071301650.html
"about Volkov/Bezic's comments: it's envy - dumb envy. Tutberidze does everything right".
https://www.instagram.com/p/BteD3ftHn4s/

Navka - "competition/competitiveness is key to success. that's how it was, that's how it is, and that's how it will always be. and that's what makes Tutberidze successful"
https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1071393844.html

From sports.ru blog: "envy towards Tutberidze's success"
https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/masaynya/2299689.html

Why?
- too smart
- too young
- too beautiful
- too talented
- too proud
- too independent
- too determined
(all the qualities that so many people here resent)

:p

Last edited:

Katarzyna

Her former students, once coaches themselves, are interestingly enough, becoming "very polite, give her praises and say nothing bad"... just when they are out of her influence, looking back at the past, and having to work with students themselves... that's my point.

Adian never made any negative public comments on Eteri, even before he started with coaching. Not when he was training with Buyanova, not when he tried to switch to ice dance. And many other of her students also never made any bad remarks, not when they were still active athletes nor later on.

What is, however, indeed interesting to see is that still team Eteri and obviously the Eteri fanclub as well is not able to also refrain from bad remarks towards her former students and simply leave the kids in peace, but keeps on discrediting them. That’s what I find most annoying. :blah:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information