From Russia with love [#29]: Spring 2018 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

mag

Medvedeva. I'm on board. I like Wilson programs, I like this program. I like the bangs. I feel so much better about her axel.
I love that she nailed the program with her ex-coach at the boards. I think her skating looks looser in a good way, there's breathing room in the program and I think by end of season, she's going to have so much fun with those spaces.

This! I think this program really suits Med’s quirky personality. She looks like she loves it and is having fun with with it. The axel looks better already.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
At least there’s no more gaping mouth and for the first time the music seems to be in some relation to her movement. I hated how most Tutberidze programs have this non-stop constant moving about kind of quality.

I had no problem with her mouth. Fsu is complaining way too much about it because i suspect they simply don't like her. Figure skaters are athletes and athletes often open their mouths.

I never had a problem with her programs or her presentation. They were meant to maximizing the points, which was a smart thing. Zhenya was a young skater, who has just turned an adult. We are going to see improvements in everything she does from now on, and it appears she is happier in Orser's group than she was in Eteri's. That could impact her presentation too. I am happy that she is happy. I see no reason to bash her skating in the past though. I have loved watching her skate throughout her senior career. As a junior, sonehow I did not pay her much attention, even when she was winning.

Z

ZilphaK

Megasport was almost full

They weren’t in the LP :shuffle:
The program overwise was pretty good, but empty

Kid has a lot of pressure on her, I'm sure. So much controversy and gnashing of teeth after the Olympics. If this is a rough year...so be it. She's 16, and that's a rough year anyway. ;) Again, I was not a fan last year, at all. But I think this is going to be a tougher year for her in her head than last year. Get it over with and let's see where she goes.

S

SmallFairy

Saw almost all of Med's FS on LaTuk's live stream on IG. Go Liza! And go Janny, I really liked what I saw, though from up above in the arena. The tango suits her and she seems more fluid.

I saw Zagitova do her SP in a Japanese show, with her hair down and a very different dress from the tutus, and she indeed looked more mature. I actually really enjoyed it, but on yesterday's video I wasn't that impressed. (I despise POTO no matter what, but try to keep a positive mind:D) I think it comes down to her packaging and dress.... Really hope she looks as fab as in Japan. (Obviously not with the hair down, but does it have to be a bun???)

Looking forward to videos of Sotskova and Tsurskaya and Radio... ok, most of them.

Bigbird

Could someone please pick out S/B's music for them just please? They looked like dynamite today, but the music just kills it for them.

C

casken

What did Zhulin do to S/K? Wasn't last years FD much more memorable? Whatevs....whatevs.

It's essentially last year's FD, just set to different music. I don't get the choice of having them hover around center ice towards the end of the program for a good 30 seconds when the music is begging to be filled out.

Bigbird

It's essentially last year's FD, just set to different music. I don't get the choice of having them hover around center ice towards the end of the program for a good 30 seconds when the music is begging to be filled out.

Her knee is taped so maybe they left out some choreography. Maybe it's the injury that makes it so bland because it needs air, verve, energy, sophistication: they telegraph almost every element and move.

OTOH, I really loved S/B but the music not so much. Why can't they get that right? Or was it just the acoustics in the arena?

shine

I agree and disagree with you. I didn't like most of Tutberidze programs but I don't like the "American styled" programs, too than the Wilson's programs used to be... I liked Sotskova's program the most.
I’m definitely not in love with this program or anything. But compared to her old programs that inspired only a negative visceral reaction from me at least I can stomach this.

hanca

Values her privacy
I agree and disagree with you. I didn't like most of Tutberidze programs but I don't like the "American styled" programs, too than the Wilson's programs used to be... I liked Sotskova's program the most.
I know what you mean about the ‘American styled’ programs. (I am not sure if ‘American styled’ is accurate term because Canadians seem to do those programs too.) I dislike those programs. I find them juvenile, but I think it is a cultural issue. Everyone has some preferences on what programs they like and those preferences wee formed within the culture they were growing up. I would prefer Medvedeva to do something a bit more classy, elegant.

barbarafan

Whereas this one I really liked, surprisingly so as when I listened to just the music a few weeks ago I thought it was a bit dull. She looks like she needs a bit more time with it and stamina but it really suits her.
Still needs work on her arms as well....but I do see an improvement in them. Can't wait to see next outing.

becca

I did not like Candyman as a music choice for them but I never told the universe to not let it win the OGM. I was rooting for them to skate great and win. Had they skated great, the judges would have given them high marks, as they had during the season. I doubt that it would have been enough to beat S&M though, from the way they skated.

I think they did not get the message about Candyman not being a good choice for them because whenever they skated well, the judges gave them the high marks they deserved. They clearly enjoyed skating to that music and it is important for skaters to at least like the music they skate to. They have to listen to it everyday in practice. The lone exception may be B&S who often skated to music they disliked, but it was chosen by their coach.

For T&M though it is necessary to get inputs from sone real experts on what really showcases their strengths. It seems their current team cannot figure it out. Why dont they hire a consultant like, e.g. Moskvina?

In fairness to Trankov he is on record saying he didn’t chose their short but he adores their free. Maybe they will eventually go with the programs that suit their style as for selling their short it is a test skate so I will give that a little time.

As for Med if she is happy that’s most important I think in interview Orser mentioned that he just loves her. Has he ever said that about a skater. She truly comes across as a lovely girl. I thought she handled that Olympic heartbreak with such class and dignity.

Last edited:

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
It’s a known fact but I’ll say it again, Russia has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to women’s figure skating 🤩 I’m not even including the Junior ladies. Going from Doronina to Medvedeva in a decade is crazy

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I really like the music for both of Polina's programs, but for some reason the choreo is not doing a lot for me. Maybe she just needs a bit more time to settle into them. Or better camera angles. :)

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Sofia is such a cutie! The program is a bit hokey, but she sells the daylights out of it. Radionova 2.0. :) (Sorry for double-posting.)

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
I love T/M's free! I don't even care about the SP that much because whatever its final form they'll still score highly with it, and if you have to have one off program and one great program you better save the good stuff for the FS.

But I agree that if they bring back the Rach SP and keep the new free I'll finally be completely happy with their programs. (And I don't actually hate the Kravitz SP. I just think it's meh.)

Ka3sha

Came back from the test skates, just some thoughts to share

Ice Dance
- in terms of actual skating skills, speed and power SinKats were in the league of their own here. That been said, I’m not sure what to think about this FD. Lurved the first part of it, but the second is too dramatic and doesn’t suit them/the main idea. Nice first lift, great stationary lift ( keeping it from Last year).
- Great and innovative lifts and spins from P/M and S/S. Interesting and captivating programs. But I’m not sure if I like their skating. Betina and Sergei looked a little bit heavy and slow at some moments.
- There’s a common problem with almost all Zhuk’s girls - their knees are too stiff and just don’t work in a right way. It bothers me a lot. Probably that’s why I usually can’t really enjoy S/B and S/S.
- S/B blues is an ok program. Not bad, but not great either. I had a feeling that they wanted to be sexy and sentual like Maddie/Zach, but they are not.

Men:
- Kolyada has the best set of programs. Didn’d expect anything good from him in the free, but he was great and actually felt the music. His hands often live in their own world, but here he was sharp and hit most of the music accents. And he has the best skating skills among all Russian single skaters.
- I don’t understand why Rukavitsin gave Aliev two almost similar programs. I like this style for him, he looks good in it, but booooring :blah:
Have to say, after Samarin and Lazukin he skated like a god (or like Patrick after Boyang :D )
- actually quite enjoyed first half of Samarin’s program. Looks like they worked on his skating skills a lot. But he is too stiff for this program
- Voronov was ok. Kudos to him for trying and jumping 4Lo, but other than that kind of :blah:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information