Former First Lady Barbara Bush has died [UPDATED]

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Here is the Video and text of Mrs. Bush's speech at Wellsley. It is awe inspiring, and puts TRUE diversity into perspective.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Barbara and other first ladies knew that their husbands had political careers.

Trump did not have one when he married Melania. She signed up for a deal that would be repugnant to many (Trump first thing in the morning, Trump last thing at night - YUCK), but I don't think that deal included being married to the POTUS.

All things considered, I think she's handled herself reasonably well. She's had to become more stately than a woman who is just eye candy on the golf course, and I do think she has done her best.

I don't see her as eye candy. I find her quite unpleasant where looks are concerned.

Being married to a POTUS is not such a terrible thing. She travels around the world. People show ber respect (something she does not deserve, IMO). She clearly finds DT attractive or she wouldn't have married him. She has more money than the GDP of some countries.So I have no sympathy for her. However, i have no problem with her attending Mrs. Bush's funeral, as a representative. I have no doubt that she will conduct herself appropriately.

Do you really think Melania has any feelings or "respects" about Barbara's passing, one way or the other? She probably had to be given a bio or watch t.v. the past couple days to find out who she was and what she did. I think it's DISrespectful of her to go just for the photo op.

Let's go back to "which one doesn't belong" - it's not political - the Clintons and Obamas are democrats; the Bushes didn't even vote for Melania's husband, who is in their party. One of the things I watched said Barbara thought of Bill as another son. She had quite a few negative comments about donald.

George and Barbara were married for 73 years. Melania is the third wife, who donald cheated on his second wife with.

Barbara and the other first ladies had strong platforms that they pursued and also worked alongside their husbands to further their agenda for the country. And I'm including Laura Bush in that. Melania....uh....doesn't.

I despise Melania, perhaps as much as you do, for the various reasons you listed. However, as I mentioned above, I have no problem with her attending the funeral, whether she has any feelings toward the family or not. This is just a formality, and she may actually have some genuine feelings for the family for their loss. I don't know her as a person, so I wouldn't say that she won't feel empathy.

I'm not "concerned" about any of this. Just stating an opinion, like you. Someone asked who was going. I posted it after I saw it on the news. Someone responded and I responded back, just like you.

I don't know what "PM" is.

Personal Message

Now for something truly unseemly (way more so than funeral protocol for spouses of ex-Presidents):

Trump: "Melania and I send our prayers to Barbara's husband of 73 years. I'll never beat that record."

I believe he meant it as a joke, and I can't believe I am defending Trump.

@Susan1 I really don't understand where your disdain for Melania comes from. That woman hasn't done anything. Literally. She's just there and even when she is she gets barely noticed.

I think it's quite presumptive to assume that just because Melania is married to Trump, she's stupid and ignorant. We have no idea what she is. And so what if she had to be caught up on Barbara Bush's many causes and achievements? That doesn't mean that she can't have empathy. I knew very little about Barbara Bush but my heart is certainly breaking for the family and especially her husband.

I also don't think she's going for a photo op or that there is any indication that she would consider it as such. It's a funeral and Melania is going because she was (most likely) invited. If she wasn't invited then it's probably protocol. Either way, she will be there on behalf of the administration and she will be paying her respects to the family on behalf of the administration. That is all that she will be there for. Now, what the MSM will make out of it, that'll be an entirely different matter. But don't blame Melania for something she can't control. (And no, she can't just not go as that would be a sign of disrespect and rude).

I fully understand Susan1's disdain for Melania, but I don't think she is going there for a photo op. We agree on that point. I disagree that she has no control over it. She can always say no, or find an excuse to not go to the funeral. I believe she sees it as her duty, and she is willing to do it. My feeling toward this is neutral. I don't criticize her for going to the funeral and I won't applaud her for it. I think if neither she nor Donald had attended the funeral, that would have looked very odd. Like it or not, he is in that position. It may be one of the very few things I can tolerate about him (if he attends the funeral)......I am at a loss as to what other thing I can tolerate about him.

BTW I don't see her as a victim, the way some of you do.

Anyway, back to Barbara Bush. I didn't know much about her work as FLOTUS, but I always saw her as very dignified and she belonged in the WH. I will always remember the pearls. :) After reading some articles about her, she sounds like a very well grounded lady who cared about others. Her efforts to educate people will yield many positive results for generations.

When I started this thread about her opting for Hospice, I had no idea that the end was so close. :(

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Do you really think Melania has any feelings or "respects" about Barbara's passing, one way or the other? She probably had to be given a bio or watch t.v. the past couple days to find out who she was and what she did. I think it's DISrespectful of her to go just for the photo op.

What a crock!

ballettmaus

I believe he meant it as a joke, and I can't believe I am defending Trump.

I think that plus the fact that he's already been married three times and can't keep it in his pants is what makes it unseemly. But that's just me. I also thought the official statement that he and Melania are joining the Nation on celebrating Barbara Bush's life was uncalled for at that particular moment. Yes, her life should be celebrated but a first reaction to a loss is still sadness and grief, and I think something along the lines of "mourning" would have been more appropriate right after she passed. Additionally, it bothered me that they put out a statement that was dated wrong. Sure, mistakes happen but it gives the impression that they couldn't care enough to have a second look at it.

I fully understand Susan1's disdain for Melania, but I don't think she is going there for a photo op. We agree on that point. I disagree that she has no control over it. She can always say no, or find an excuse to not go to the funeral. I believe she sees it as her duty, and she is willing to do it.

If it's protocol then it is her duty. If it's an invitation it would be rude and disrespectful not to go. Not to mention what the MSM would do to her if she didn't go. Can you imagine? :yikes:

Neither do I. Currently, my feelings towards her are neutral.

Susan1

Only if you decide to snark..........not if you take it at face value. Hardly anyone make it 73 years (although my aunt and uncle did)
Imagine getting married young and living long enough to be married to the same person that long! If my mom would have lived to age 92, my parents would have been married 64 years by then.

Either way, she will be there on behalf of the administration
Someone earlier mentioned Mrs. Pence going, and wondering how the Bushes felt about her.

Additionally, it bothered me that they put out a statement that was dated wrong. Sure, mistakes happen but it gives the impression that they couldn't care enough to have a second look at it.
There have been articles about how it is all over Twitter. To borrow one of the comments - "when you care enough to send the very best" (Hallmark slogan).

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Imagine getting married young and living long enough to be married to the same person that long! If my mom would have lived to age 92, my parents would have been married 64 years by then.

Someone earlier mentioned Mrs. Pence going, and wondering how the Bushes felt about her.

There have been articles about how it is all over Twitter. To borrow one of the comments - "when you care enough to send the very best" (Hallmark slogan).

My aunt and uncle met in the Midwest, 74 years ago. My uncle rode his motorcycle every other weekend 90 minutes to go and see her. They were married 6 months later. They have been a shining light to everyone in my family. They were so in love until the day my Uncle died last month. Was it always easy....of course not. Was it wonderful....yep!

once_upon

Better off than 2020
The Bushes lived in an era where divorce was not common. That said it appears that they were genuinely happy. I imagine that they had their squabbles, fights like every married couple. I loved a comment by one of their kids, maybe George, regarding his mother smoking and drinking (socially) while pregnant. It was an era that that was acceptable.

Imagine all the stressors on that marriage, death of a child, politician wife and politician mother. She will be missed by many and has left a legacy.

We are at 45 years. 72 is only 27 years away. :) that would make me Barbara's age. I should be so lucky.

Susan1

The Bushes lived in an era where divorce was not common. That said it appears that they were genuinely happy. I imagine that they had their squabbles, fights like every married couple. I loved a comment by one of their kids, maybe George, regarding his mother smoking and drinking (socially) while pregnant. It was an era that that was acceptable.

Imagine all the stressors on that marriage, death of a child, politician wife and politician mother. She will be missed by many and has left a legacy.

We are at 45 years. 72 is only 27 years away. :) that would make me Barbara's age. I should be so lucky.

Yeah, the only adult I ever knew who got divorced was my aunt in 1974, and that was because her husband left her for someone else. People stuck it out. Then you get to my generation.........

One more thing about Melania - it IS going to take some balls to be alone at a "gathering" with the Obamas and Clintons. After Donald paraded Bill's women at the debate, you have to wonder if Melania was thinking that was going to happen to her some day. Or maybe she doesn't care. Now he throws her to the lions while he's in Florida playing golf. And no, I don't feel sorry for her either. She knew what she was getting when she had an affair with him - "If he cheats with you, he'll cheat on you".

CassAgain

Great spin from the White House that Trump would be a distraction (as if the Clintons and the Obamas won't be). Being such a blowhard, he has a typically thin skin--skips the correspondents' dinner, doesn't want to attend the funeral of a woman who despised him and where he is likely to be greeted with chilling formality.

It would be great if Laura Bush and Michelle Obama passed Milania Trump a note--We have your back. You are not alone.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
From what I've read it is protocol for the First Lady to attend, and not sitting President to attend former First Lady's funeral. Apparently the same was true with the Obamas when Mrs. Reagan died.

As we currently have 4 former First Ladies still alive and 1 current First Lady I'm sure this situation will occur again.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
From what I've read it is protocol for the First Lady to attend, and not sitting President to attend former First Lady's funeral. Apparently the same was true with the Obamas when Mrs. Reagan died.

As we currently have 4 former First Ladies still alive and 1 current First Lady I'm sure this situation will occur again.

Now, now. Don’t bother inserting logic or facts into the hysteria.

Susan1

Now, now. Don’t bother inserting logic or facts into the hysteria.

Assuming that is directed at me, when I first mentioned protocol, I meant how to ACT at a funeral for a famous person that you did not know when there are lots of people there who do not like you, not protocol of who was supposed to be invited and/or accepting. I guess I should have used the word "behavior" instead of "protocol".

AxelAnnie

Assuming that is directed at me, when I first mentioned protocol, I meant how to ACT at a funeral for a famous person that you did not know when there are lots of people there who do not like you, not protocol of who was supposed to be invited and/or accepting. I guess I should have used the word "behavior" instead of "protocol".
You act polite! Geesh it is not complicated.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing

You’ve been pretty gleefully nasty and disrespectful to the First Lady, the current president, the deceased First Lady, and most of the posters in this thread.

So yeah. It was addressed to you. I shouldn’t have been so passive aggressive. Glad I fixed that.

ballettmaus

From what I've read it is protocol for the First Lady to attend, and not sitting President to attend former First Lady's funeral.

I've read that, too. (So, that leaves the question why the WH says Trump isn't going as to not to create a distraction if, per protocol, he shouldn't be going anyway ;))

Regarding Barbara Bush, I saw that her husband sat in his wheelchair at the front of the church, shaking the hand of the mourners at today's memorial service! That is impressive.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Pompeo met with Kim over Easter weekend. https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...976a82b05a2_story.html?utm_term=.1db5c9005860

This makes little sense to me. What reason would Kim have to brag about nuclear weapons in the way that he did and then just decide to give them up because Trump and South Korea want him to? Wouldn't that be a sign of weakness if he does what the Western world asks him to?
Or was the recognition as an equal enough and now he'll sell it as being cooperative? But would that really sell in NK when he's been all about military strength and power?

I've read that, too. (So, that leaves the question why the WH says Trump isn't going as to not to create a distraction if, per protocol, he shouldn't be going anyway ;))

Regarding Barbara Bush, I saw that her husband sat in his wheelchair at the front of the church, shaking the hand of the mourners at today's memorial service! That is impressive.
Trump is banking on people not knowing protocol (like some here) and to his base he appears thinking of the Bushes.
The picture of President Bush shaking hands of those paying respects was heartbreaking.

On a side note....how many secret service people will there be? 4 former President (5 is Carter invited?). I can't remember if the First Ladys' secret service protection expires...I know Clinton was protected during her presidential run, but I think First Lady's expire after xx years.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Barbara Bush had her own issues. Her husband’s affair with his aide Jennifer Fitzgerald was an open secret in Washington. Mrs Reagan treated her badly and dismissively as Second Lady. The attacks on her son were very painful, especially since she also thought he made some colossal mistakes.

I give her a lot of credit as a tough lady. I hope Melania bears up even half as well in a bad situation that’s going to get worse. She really didn’t sign up for this.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I saw this on the news this morning about our first lady, Barbara. Just adding my condolences to former President Bush and his family. RIP, Barbara. May God bless.

Susan1

You’ve been pretty gleefully nasty and disrespectful to the First Lady, the current president, the deceased First Lady, and most of the posters in this thread.

So yeah. It was addressed to you. I shouldn’t have been so passive aggressive. Glad I fixed that.
Well, I’ve never been accused of gleefulness before. Why in the world are you singling me out? Why don’t you tell these people what and how to post and how to act and how to think:

Now for something truly unseemly (way more so than funeral protocol for spouses of ex-Presidents):

Trump: "Melania and I send our prayers to Barbara's husband of 73 years. I'll never beat that record."

I don't see her as eye candy. I find her quite unpleasant where looks are concerned.

Being married to a POTUS is not such a terrible thing. She travels around the world. People show ber respect (something she does not deserve, IMO). She clearly finds DT attractive or she wouldn't have married him. She has more money than the GDP of some countries.So I have no sympathy for her. ...........

I despise Melania, perhaps as much as you do, for the various reasons you listed...........

Great spin from the White House that Trump would be a distraction (as if the Clintons and the Obamas won't be). Being such a blowhard, he has a typically thin skin--skips the correspondents' dinner, doesn't want to attend the funeral of a woman who despised him and where he is likely to be greeted with chilling formality.

He may not understand that, given that he believes he is at the epicenter of the universe, which revolves around him.

Barbara Bush had her own issues. Her husband’s affair with his aide Jennifer Fitzgerald was an open secret in Washington.

Here's my favorite - (Thursday 8:42 a.m.)
This is my last response here on politics on Melania.

ballettmaus

I thought that was a very beautiful service! My heart broke for her family but at the same time, it was heartwarming to see them smile and even laugh. There seem to be a lot of wonderful memories that they can share and keep Barbara Bush alive through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information