Former First Lady Barbara Bush has died [UPDATED]

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
This is probably unseemly of me, but I'm curious about which members of the current administration will attend her funeral (or memorial service, if the Bush family decides to go that way).

My perception is that there's no love lost between the Bush family and Trump, but it seems to me first ladies (and in this case both a first lady and a mother of a president) get state funerals, heavily attended at the minimum by leaders of their party.

I wonder how the Bush family feels about Mike Pence. Maybe his wife (about whom I know nothing) might be the administration representative.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
This is probably unseemly of me, but I'm curious about which members of the current administration will attend her funeral (or memorial service, if the Bush family decides to go that way).

My perception is that there's no love lost between the Bush family and Trump, but it seems to me first ladies (and in this case both a first lady and a mother of a president) get state funerals, heavily attended at the minimum by leaders of their party.

I wonder how the Bush family feels about Mike Pence. Maybe his wife (about whom I know nothing) might be the administration representative.
Way unseemly

skatesindreams

Funeral details; from the New York Times:

Mrs. Bush will lie in repose at St. Martin’s Church in Houston, where she was well loved. There will be a public viewing on Friday before an invitation-only funeral service on Saturday.
Mrs. Bush will be interred at the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum in College Station, Tex., next to her daughter, Robin, who died at age 3 from leukemia, a searing moment in the life of the future first couple.

She made a lasting impact in Houston:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/18/us/barbara-bush-houston-texas.html
An appreciation:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/...RelatedCoverage®ion=Marginalia&pgtype=article[/quote]

Susan1

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/18/melania-trump-barbara-bush-funeral-531805
“Barack and Michelle Obama and Bill and Hillary Clinton will join first lady Melania Trump in attending funeral services on Saturday for Barbara Bush,”

ballettmaus

AxelAnnie

See.........everyone acted like grown ups :)

Susan1

I'm not a Trump supporter as you well know, but I think this is an unfair and uncalled for comment. I think that you are just looking for a reason to dig at the First Lady and in turn Trump.

I think she is going to be a distraction and the center of attention because of all of her husband's extramarital activities and legal problems in the news right now. Besides which, Barbara had not nice things to say about 45 during the campaign, and he insulted her son repeatedly.

ballettmaus

I think that if Melania Trump becomes a distraction it will be because the MSM makes her one. So far, she has not given me any reason to believe that she will be the one who will seek out the spotlight so that she can be the center of attention. Rather the opposite.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I can pay my respects to anyone, even if they had nothing good to say about me or my husband. I wasn't particularly happy with either Bush presidency. Does that imply I am unable to feel sadness on Barbara's passing?

If she becomes a distraction, it is because you want her to be.

Susan1

I can pay my respects to anyone, even if they had nothing good to say about me or my husband. I wasn't particularly happy with either Bush presidency. Does that imply I am unable to feel sadness on Barbara's passing?

If she becomes a distraction, it is because you want her to be.

Do you really think Melania has any feelings or "respects" about Barbara's passing, one way or the other? She probably had to be given a bio or watch t.v. the past couple days to find out who she was and what she did. I think it's DISrespectful of her to go just for the photo op.

Let's go back to "which one doesn't belong" - it's not political - the Clintons and Obamas are democrats; the Bushes didn't even vote for Melania's husband, who is in their party. One of the things I watched said Barbara thought of Bill as another son. She had quite a few negative comments about donald.

George and Barbara were married for 73 years. Melania is the third wife, who donald cheated on his second wife with.

Barbara and the other first ladies had strong platforms that they pursued and also worked alongside their husbands to further their agenda for the country. And I'm including Laura Bush in that. Melania....uh....doesn't.

Japanfan

Barbara and the other first ladies had strong platforms that they pursued and also worked alongside their husbands to further their agenda for the country. And I'm including Laura Bush in that. Melania....uh....doesn't.

Barbara and other first ladies knew that their husbands had political careers.

Trump did not have one when he married Melania. She signed up for a deal that would be repugnant to many (Trump first thing in the morning, Trump last thing at night - YUCK), but I don't think that deal included being married to the POTUS.

All things considered, I think she's handled herself reasonably well. She's had to become more stately than a woman who is just eye candy on the golf course, and I do think she has done her best.

Last edited:

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Admin, can you please change the title of this thread? It had been just a couple of days since I started this, to say that she is in hospice care.
FYI, better to use the Report Post function, as we don't read every thread. I just happened to notice this.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I suggest that if you are concerned about which of these does not belong, you take it to PM.

There are 5 Former POTUS, 4 Former FLOTUS, 3 of that group are by family relationship attending. If you are so concerned about funeral protocols and if the funeral is by invitation a snub by a current sitting POTUS and FLOTUS, sending a representative is a bigger break from protocol.

This is a thread about Mrs. Bush, not your politics.

Take it to PM. This is my last response here on politics on Melania.

Susan1

I suggest that if you are concerned about which of these does not belong, you take it to PM.

There are 5 Former POTUS, 4 Former FLOTUS, 3 of that group are by family relationship attending. If you are so concerned about funeral protocols and if the funeral is by invitation a snub by a current sitting POTUS and FLOTUS, sending a representative is a bigger break from protocol.

This is a thread about Mrs. Bush, not your politics.

Take it to PM. This is my last response here on politics on Melania.

I'm not "concerned" about any of this. Just stating an opinion, like you. Someone asked who was going. I posted it after I saw it on the news. Someone responded and I responded back, just like you.

I don't know what "PM" is.

AxelAnnie

Now for something truly unseemly (way more so than funeral protocol for spouses of ex-Presidents):

Trump: "Melania and I send our prayers to Barbara's husband of 73 years. I'll never beat that record."
Only if you decide to snark..........not if you take it at face value. Hardly anyone make it 73 years (although my aunt and uncle did)

ballettmaus

@Susan1 I really don't understand where your disdain for Melania comes from. That woman hasn't done anything. Literally. She's just there and even when she is she gets barely noticed.

I think it's quite presumptive to assume that just because Melania is married to Trump, she's stupid and ignorant. We have no idea what she is. And so what if she had to be caught up on Barbara Bush's many causes and achievements? That doesn't mean that she can't have empathy. I knew very little about Barbara Bush but my heart is certainly breaking for the family and especially her husband.

I also don't think she's going for a photo op or that there is any indication that she would consider it as such. It's a funeral and Melania is going because she was (most likely) invited. If she wasn't invited then it's probably protocol. Either way, she will be there on behalf of the administration and she will be paying her respects to the family on behalf of the administration. That is all that she will be there for. Now, what the MSM will make out of it, that'll be an entirely different matter. But don't blame Melania for something she can't control. (And no, she can't just not go as that would be a sign of disrespect and rude).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information