Finnish skating news 2017/18

nimi

Viveca -- who came down with the flu yesterday -- was understandably disappointed & refreshingly honest in her interview, conducted right after her skate and before Emmi's...

nimi

I don't know, I feel like there's a line between refreshingly honest and still decently respectful... :yikes: :watch:
And I think she didn't cross it, although she skirted pretty close to that line... But hey, YMMV.

(You could tell she was biting her tongue and trying not to say something way less "respectful" in that moment, with emotions running high)

Hanna

Skating junkie
And I think she didn't cross it, although she skirted pretty close to that line... But hey, YMMV
I understand what you're saying although from my point of view saying that Emmi "had better not pop any jumps in Korea" does cross the line. I realize it was said in the heat of the moment with disappointment and feelings running high... and that happens. Well, we'll see how things will go from here.

Jaana

I don't know, I feel like there's a line between refreshingly honest and still decently respectful... :yikes: :watch:

I think Viveca has the right to say what she did, because she was the one who got this Olympic slot for Finland.

shah

Shhh... shhh...
I understand what you're saying although from my point of view saying that Emmi "had better not pop any jumps in Korea" does cross the line. I realize it was said in the heat of the moment with disappointment and feelings running high... and that happens. Well, we'll see how things will go from here.

Is it what she said? Google translation does not seem to help much ("If it's not me who goes to Pyeongchang, then it's best to skate that no balloons can be there when the place is on my back" - oh, well ;)).

Hanna

Skating junkie
Is it what she said? Google translation does not seem to help much ("If it's not me who goes to Pyeongchang, then it's best to skate that no balloons can be there when the place is on my back" - oh, well ;)).
Ah, google translate. :lol: Balloons = pops in Finnish, and the last bit should literally be translated as "the (Oly) spot is taken from the skin of my back" which is in expression to mean that it's on her expense.

Sylvia

TBD
Finnish federation website's writeup on Emmi Peltonen and Viveca Lindors at Euros in Moscow: https://www.stll.fi/2018/01/20/emmi-peltonen-karkikymppiin-em-kisoissa/

From the end:
The Finnish Figure Skating Association makes a presentation to the Olympic Committee on Sunday 21 January. The federation criterion is the best score on the season. It's Peltonen.

The Finnish Olympic Committee will make its decision on 24 January.

Jaana

I don't think Peltonen should be sent to 2018 Olympics, because her best total score is on place 68 this season and now she was 9th at the Europeans, maybe to 2022 Olympics if she manages to improve? Without convincing results now it would be just like to send her to a holiday trip, IMO. My guess is there are a lot more deserving athletes in other winter sports to be picked up. And of course I would feel the same about Lindfors, too.

Last edited:

Finnice

I don't think Peltonen should be sent to 2018 Olympics, because her best total score is on place 68 this season and now she was 9th at the Europeans, maybe to 2022 Olympics if she manages to improve? Without convincing results now it would be just like to send her to a holiday trip, IMO. My guess is there are a lot more deserving athletes in other winter sports to be picked up. And of course I would feel the same about Lindfors, too.
Just not tell it to the FOC.:EVILLE:
Seriously, I strongly disagree. My main reason is that Olympics are (or at least their original idea was) participation of the athletes from every corner of the World. Olympic spirit, you know.
And I know I am an idealist.

S

SmallFairy

Well, I do think it's a good thing young skaters are send for the experience. If they develop further during the four year period to come, they will maybe be going to the OG again, this time being more of a threat to the top. To have an olympic experience already under your belt then will mean a lot. Many athletes states that OG is very different than any other competition.

jkl

I live in Nashville, Tennessee. Emmi Peltonen was born in Nashville when her Dad played for our NHL team, the Nashville Predators. Our local newspaper (the Tennessean/USA Today) is sending a reporter and photographer to Korea to cover the Olympics. I emailed the reporter the figure skating tidbit about Emmi. He promptly responded that he was very excited to know this. He told me that Emmi is the one and only Tennessee connection to the 2018 Olympics and he wants to locate her and write the story:D.

nimi

Viveca for Jr Worlds:
FFSA has nominated Roman Galay and @VivecaLindfors to the ISU World Figure Skating Junior Championships.
https://twitter.com/SkatingFinland/status/960881221378232320

I was kinda hoping to see Sofia Sula skate there but she's only the second alternate: https://www.stll.fi/2018/02/06/junioreiden-mm-edustajat-on-nimetty/

Speaking of Viveca... She just won the Nordic Championships, which I had totally forgotten about: https://www.stll.fi/2018/02/04/viveca-lindfors-ennatyspistein-pm-voittoon-valtter-virtaselle-hopeaa/

Cessiville won in Egna: https://www.stll.fi/2018/02/04/torn-partanen-tanssivat-kansainvalisen-kilpailun-voittoon-italiassa/

Hanna

Skating junkie
Viveca for Jr Worlds:
https://twitter.com/SkatingFinland/status/960881221378232320

I was kinda hoping to see Sofia Sula skate there but she's only the second alternate: https://www.stll.fi/2018/02/06/junioreiden-mm-edustajat-on-nimetty/
I also find it :blah: how they keep sending the 'oldies' to Junior Worlds year after year when the (IMO) real juniors could really use the experience.

Maybe if Viveca gets senior Worlds she'll pass the Junior Worlds ticket onwards. I can hope.

ChiquitaBanana

Gosh I liked Peltonen's SP yesterday. I was not that familiar with her but I see so much potential. She needs a coaching team that can help her canalyse her massive power. She reminds me of Daleman before switching to Orser.

nimi

edwina

Yeah, atm don't see her getting there. She quit school at 15, trains with Rafael, can buy ice time only for herself if needed so she has all the best resources in the world and still her SB is over 80 points lower than the WR and she doubles most of her jumps or falls in competitions. Not very realistic to expect her suddenly get it together at 18, when some of the younger girls in the world are practising quads. It is not totally impossible, just not realistic.

nimi

Yeah, atm don't see her getting there. She quit school at 15, trains with Rafael, can buy ice time only for herself if needed so she has all the best resources in the world and still her SB is over 80 points lower than the WR and she doubles most of her jumps or falls in competitions.
I thought she's only spending a few weeks at a time in California with Raf, like when she spent one month there in autumn after Finlandia Trophy?
And when she's in Finland (i.e. the most of the year), she usually can get only 1 hour of practice ice per day because of the limited ice time here that's available for figure skaters (because hockey is no1)?
Or am I missinformed?

edwina

I thought she's only spending a few weeks at a time in California with Raf, like when she spent one month there in autumn after Finlandia Trophy?
And when she's in Finland (i.e. the most of the year), she usually can get only 1 hour of practice ice per day because of the limited ice time here that's available for figure skaters (because hockey is no1)?
Or am I missinformed?

Don't know more than her interviews, but she definitely gets more ice time than that, as do other top ladies. She comes from wealth so if ice time is limited her coach said she buys it. But of course for example I wouldn't learn double axel even if I lived with Eteri Tutbaridze in an ice rink, so it's not just that..

maija

I don't know about Emmi's practicing. In general the situation in Finland is that there is not available prime time ice time for personal use but it is possible to buy ice time daytime. There is free ice time in many rinks when the normal users are at school or at work. F.ex. in Helsinki district it is easy to find some ice time on week days between 10-13. It is not cheap but if you have enough money...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information