2017 ISU Challenger Series

Sylvia

TBD
Where are the Nepela entries posted? Or which assignments do you mean? Canadian skaters?
Yes, Canadian skaters - refer to my post #112 above (eta: it's the same link posted by danafan below).

I've just started an Ondrej Nepela Trophy competition thread in the Kiss & Cry section (entries by name were due this past Friday).

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
This can't come soon enough. Very good competitors in all disciplines.

FOR SURE!

Will be cool to see how the Japanese gals set the stage now on the international scene....... Can they be a threat for Medev and others??

And a nice match up between the USA gals and the USA pairs teams..

Im hoping for a gold for Scimerim

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Yeah that's a really nice season opener for the USA ladies, right away they need to prove themselves (while they could also get a potential scare early on). :EVILLE: oh such a brutal year this is, and right away. :watch:

Also hoping for a successful debut for the Knierims and their "Paint it Black" SP! :cheer: (and the Chris Dean LP) :kickass:

Jammers

Why is the US not using that 4th spot for Ice Dance? It's not like they lack depth to fill it like Canada for instance.

Dobre

Why is the US not using that 4th spot for Ice Dance? It's not like they lack depth to fill it like Canada for instance.

Jammers, who is it you are worried will not get a spot?

Hawayek & Baker, Pogrebinsky & Benoit, and Biechler & Dodge have one. McNamara & Carpenter and the Parsons are going to get one. Manta & Johnson are highly likely to get one. After Manta & Johnson, the U.S. dance field drops off substantially. Two teams retired, and the other teams are really more at the national level than the international level. If any of the top three teams don't have an event, it will be because they chose to train instead of compete in a Challenger.

Are you worried that deserving teams might not get a second event if they earn a high enough score? I suppose that could be a possibility if everyone meets the scoring criteria for a second event. But there's a very good chance three of these teams will get a post season. And McNamara & Carpenter, the Parsons, Pogrebinsky & Benoit, and Manta & Johnson already have Lake Placid on their World Standings record for the season so they will have the chance to earn the points for two selected internationals.

See: http://www.isuresults.com/ws/wr2017-18/wrdance.htm

There's no great advantage in pitting all the U.S. teams against one another early in the season when scores are low. Five of these young teams have already had the chance to compete against each other. Send them out and see how they do against the international field. They are good enough to do this, and they will learn from the experience. Let them.

Last edited:

Dobre

Wow is right. Looks like everyone is getting ready for Nebelhorn. Last year there were 7 dance teams at Lombardia. This year 18 are signed up.

Cappellini & Lanotte
Guignard & Fabbri
Loboda & Drozd (senior international debut?)
Hurtado & Khaliavin
Nazarova & Nikitin
Pogrebinsky & Benoit
Fear & Gibson
Torn & Partanen
Mysliveckova & Csolley
Two Japanese teams, probably looking to get a score in order to meet Japan's criteria for the NHK TBA spot

Nice.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The entry lists for Lombardia are now posted:

Men
Ladies
Pairs
Ice Dance

Saw that this morning!

Now, thats a roster!!!!!!! It has some meat!

ADDED LATER: What's the criteria for the rosters among the Challengers series anyway regarding number of entries and how they are distributed or valued (am I saying this correctly?) Meaning coming in 6th at Lombardia in the ladies field could be a much bigger celebration than say getting the bronze at US Classic. I think the field at Lombardia is doubled.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
The initial entry lists for Ondrej Nepela Trophy are published (names are copied out in the Nepela competition thread in the Kiss & Cry section):

Men (23)
Ladies (28)
Pairs (6)
Ice Dance (16)

USFS has yet to confirm their entries on their website's International Assignments page, so I would consider them to be preliminary at this time.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

^^^^ Hot diggity dog, we get to see Gracie in action! Girl, SLAY!

(Oh Dear I just saw Russia's entries. Hope GG keeps it together mentally!)

Frida80

The initial entry lists for Ondrej Nepela Trophy are published (names are copied out in the Nepela competition thread in the Kiss & Cry section):

Men (23)
Ladies (28)
Pairs (6)
Ice Dance (16)

USFS has yet to confirm their entries on their website's International Assignments page, so I would consider them to be preliminary at this time.

Zhenia, Elena and Alena? That's how you use all your slots! Zhenia gets to break in her program and get WR points. Elena gets to make her case for the Olympics early. Finally Alena gets more points so she can get improve her rank. I reeeeaaalllyyy hope the stream is good.

Sonata

Saw the Canadian entries for Autumn Classic and it looks amazing! Haven't been able to get tickets since first week. Any chance at all they will sell at the door? It's really disappointing not to be able to see this competition in person.

kalamalka

Saw the Canadian entries for Autumn Classic and it looks amazing! Haven't been able to get tickets since first week. Any chance at all they will sell at the door? It's really disappointing not to be able to see this competition in person.

The "buy tickets" link on the Skate Canada page showing international events and assignments says that there will be no further tickets released. The only day for which there are currently tickets available is Thursday.

https://skatecanada.ca/2017-2018-event-schedule/#tab-31263c319f20cf01436

Sylvia

TBD
ISU Challenger Autumn Classic International - Canadian entries copied out from Skate Canada's International Assignments page (linked directly above):

Ladies
Alaine Chartrand
Kaetlyn Osmond
Sarah Tamura

Men
Elladj BaldƩ
Keegan Messing
Nam Nguyen

Pair
Meagan Duhamel / Eric Radford
Julianne SĆ©guin / Charlie Bilodeau

Ice Dance
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier
Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir
Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje

ETA: Toss in Hanyu and Fernandez.... wheeee!

Last edited:

A.H.Black

Here's my General Information post for the Salt Lake Classic this year. If someone wants to cross post on Kiss 'n Cry, feel free.

- This is a low key competition and that's on purpose. Tickets are sold at the door. We pay less for this competition than we do for regionals. I think the price was $30.00 last year for an all-event pass (there is a senior citizens discount). In September the weather is usually lovely - cool nights and warm days (80's). We have had rain from time to time but it's not serious. It's a great time to drive up the canyons and see the leaves.

- Steiner (the local name for the complex/rink) serves the community and the University of Utah with a pool (which will still be uncovered) gym, dance studio, etc. There are 2 rinks next to each other. You go up the stairs and enter from the top (there is an elevator) and then walk down to the seats. This is the reason it looks so empty on the Ice Network stream - most people are at the top. You can look into the practice rink through glass at the top of the larger rink. The larger rink seats about 1500 (maybe 2000). The practice rink has 3-4 rows for spectators at the top - maybe seats 100-200. Steiner was the practice rink for figure skating during the 2002 Olympics.

- The seats are bleachers. They get hard. Last year I brought one of those padded cushions you tie to a wooden kitchen chair. It helped a lot. Also, the rink is quite cold. We go outside to get warm.

- There is a refreshment stand. Not bad. Standard food. They do make a good hot chocolate.

- You can walk laps around the top of the rink for exercise. There used to be a little plaque that said it was 7 laps to a mile but we can't find it anymore. Sometimes they block off one end of the rink (during competition) but we haven't had any problem during the off times.

- We have heard there is more interest from the media this year. This is Nathan Chen's home rink. He learned to skate here. I'm sure there will be more attention paid to him by local media. I hope they don't get in the way.

- In anticipation of the question - In the past we have had Miyahara (twice), Uno, Mura, Murikami (he and she). I sort of remember seeing a few Asian fans, but not many and certainly not enough to make a difference. I have seen no evidence at all that more are expected (to see Honda etc.). I have seen a copy of the volunteer sign-up schedule and there is no indication that they are asking for more volunteers. This just isn't like the Autumn Classic.

- Football Game. The University of Utah (wear red) plays San Jose State at 8:00 pm (probably right during Ladies Free) on Saturday the 16th. The stadium is right down the block from the rink and the tail gate party is right outside the door of the rink. It's wild and noisy and fun.

- Parking. There is plenty of parking for the complex. The only problem will be on Saturday for the football game/tailgate party (as mentioned above). The complex does have parking of its own and that will be reserved for the rink/complex but the whole area will be crazy for a while and you may need to get in, get parked and stay put.

- There is public transportation (TRAX) that stops a short half mile away. The area is a bit hilly but it's not a bad walk. Keep in mind that blocks are long in Salt Lake City - 8 blocks to a mile - and streets are wide.

If I missed anything, just ask. I'll do my best.

chapis

ISU Challenger Autumn Classic International - Canadian entries copied out from Skate Canada's International Assignments page (linked directly above):

Ladies
Alaine Chartrand
Kaetlyn Osmond
Sarah Tamura

Men
Elladj BaldƩ
Keegan Messing
Nam Nguyen

Pair
Meagan Duhamel / Eric Radford
Julianne SĆ©guin / Charlie Bilodeau

Ice Dance
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier
Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir
Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje

ETA: Toss in Hanyu and Fernandez.... wheeee!

I wonder why Olivia and Adria are not listed. This competition is in Montreal, right?

Sylvia

TBD
I wonder why Olivia and Adria are not listed. This competition is in Montreal, right?
The full entry lists have yet to be published online.

ETA: Smart/Diaz currently are listed to compete in Salt Lake City the week before Autumn Classic International in Pierrefonds.

Here's my General Information post for the Salt Lake Classic this year. If someone wants to cross post on Kiss 'n Cry, feel free.
Thanks! I'll post a link there to your post here.

Last edited:

Bellanca

- This is a low key competition and that's on purpose. Tickets are sold at the door. We pay less for this competition than we do for regionals. I think the price was $30.00 last year for an all-event pass (there is a senior citizens discount). In September the weather is usually lovely - cool nights and warm days (80's). We have had rain from time to time but it's not serious. It's a great time to drive up the canyons and see the leaves.

- Steiner (the local name for the complex/rink) serves the community and the University of Utah with a pool (which will still be uncovered) gym, dance studio, etc. There are 2 rinks next to each other. You go up the stairs and enter from the top (there is an elevator) and then walk down to the seats. This is the reason it looks so empty on the Ice Network stream - most people are at the top. You can look into the practice rink through glass at the top of the larger rink. The larger rink seats about 1500 (maybe 2000). The practice rink has 3-4 rows for spectators at the top - maybe seats 100-200. Steiner was the practice rink for figure skating during the 2002 Olympics.

- The seats are bleachers. They get hard. Last year I brought one of those padded cushions you tie to a wooden kitchen chair. It helped a lot. Also, the rink is quite cold. We go outside to get warm.

- There is a refreshment stand. Not bad. Standard food. They do make a good hot chocolate.

- You can walk laps around the top of the rink for exercise. There used to be a little plaque that said it was 7 laps to a mile but we can't find it anymore. Sometimes they block off one end of the rink (during competition) but we haven't had any problem during the off times.

- We have heard there is more interest from the media this year. This is Nathan Chen's home rink. He learned to skate here. I'm sure there will be more attention paid to him by local media. I hope they don't get in the way.

- In anticipation of the question - In the past we have had Miyahara (twice), Uno, Mura, Murikami (he and she). I sort of remember seeing a few Asian fans, but not many and certainly not enough to make a difference. I have seen no evidence at all that more are expected (to see Honda etc.). I have seen a copy of the volunteer sign-up schedule and there is no indication that they are asking for more volunteers. This just isn't like the Autumn Classic.

- Football Game. The University of Utah (wear red) plays San Jose State at 8:00 pm (probably right during Ladies Free) on Saturday the 16th. The stadium is right down the block from the rink and the tail gate party is right outside the door of the rink. It's wild and noisy and fun.

- Parking. There is plenty of parking for the complex. The only problem will be on Saturday for the football game/tailgate party (as mentioned above). The complex does have parking of its own and that will be reserved for the rink/complex but the whole area will be crazy for a while and you may need to get in, get parked and stay put.

- There is public transportation (TRAX) that stops a short half mile away. The area is a bit hilly but it's not a bad walk. Keep in mind that blocks are long in Salt Lake City - 8 blocks to a mile - and streets are wide.

If I missed anything, just ask. I'll do my best.
Great job! I don't think you missed a beat! Thank you for sharing. :)

azcalder

A.H.Black,
Thanks for the great information. What is the name of the TRAXX stop that is closest to the ice rink complex? Also, what line is it? Can I connect to the green line to the airport. I will be leaving Saturday afternoon after the FD - just when the crowd will be arriving for the football game. Thanks.

Sylvia

TBD
Did I miss someone or is the US not sending anyone to Nebelhorn?
Alex Johnson, Cain/LeDuc and Karina Manta/Joe Johnson (dance) are the USA entries.

Based on the 2017 Nebelhorn Trophy Announcement excerpted below, USA was eligible to enter one lady as well but apparently elected not to.

... In addition, Member Federations, placed 1 to 10 at the NEBELHORN-TROPHY 2016 in the category concerned, may also enter one participant/couple. (see point b) for exceptions). Other ISU Members may also enter one (1) competitor in each discipline, but will be accepted only, if there are enough positions available. ...

Entries for the purpose of qualification to the Olympic Winter Games have priority.

Special attention must be given to the following: a) There will, in principle, be a total of 30 competitors in each individual discipline, 16 Pairs and 25 Ice Dance couples. ...

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
A.H.Black,
Thanks for the great information. What is the name of the TRAXX stop that is closest to the ice rink complex? Also, what line is it? Can I connect to the green line to the airport. I will be leaving Saturday afternoon after the FD - just when the crowd will be arriving for the football game. Thanks.

The University South Campus station on the red line is the closest stop to the rink. Here's the map of the rail system:

http://www.rideuta.com/-/media/RideUTA/Maps/UTA_RAIL_Map.ashx

Google Maps gives directions on where to make the transfer to the green line:

https://goo.gl/maps/23YWBR6nJJF2

sammyf

Based on the 2017 Nebelhorn Trophy Announcement excerpted below, USA was eligible to enter one lady as well but apparently elected not to.

... In addition, Member Federations, placed 1 to 10 at the NEBELHORN-TROPHY 2016 in the category concerned, may also enter one participant/couple. (see point b) for exceptions). Other ISU Members may also enter one (1) competitor in each discipline, but will be accepted only, if there are enough positions available. ...

Entries for the purpose of qualification to the Olympic Winter Games have priority.

Special attention must be given to the following: a) There will, in principle, be a total of 30 competitors in each individual discipline, 16 Pairs and 25 Ice Dance couples. ...

Well with 38 ladies entered and only the host having entries that are not going for Olympic qualification, my guess is that that were not allowed an entry as the ones qualifying for the Olympics had priority. Seems more likely then them not electing to use the spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information