Eric Radford and Vanessa James to compete in pairs together for Canada

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The general public wants heros and most (not everyone) will forgive their heros when they are back in the game.

I'm not convinced that "the general public" wants heroes. The media are always creating heroes, but that doesn't mean that's what people are looking for in sports.

And as for forgiving heroes when they come back, two words: Michael Vick.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Would James have needed a release to skate in shows? According to the Bev Smith article, Radford wanted to skate shows with James, before they even discussed going back to compete. If James wouldn't need a release, why wouldn't he have told Duhamel then that he had a new professional partner and stopped signing new contracts to skate professionally with her? (It isn't clear to me whether James formally broke up her partnership with Cipres before or after considering teaming with Radford.) If after that, J/R decided to return to competitive skating and sought a release, that would have been from their professional relationship.

Xsktrx

I'm not convinced that "the general public" wants heroes. The media are always creating heroes, but that doesn't mean that's what people are looking for in sports.

I’ll spare you the endless list of the Mike Tysons, Tiger Woods and Michael Jordans who are again idolized and cheered for after exibiting far less than honorable behaviour. Maybe not in your books but thousands have looked past these behaviors. I’m not saying I agree with this as none of them ever became my idols again, but so many still cheer them on.

Willin

Would James have needed a release to skate in shows? According to the Bev Smith article, Radford wanted to skate shows with James, before they even discussed going back to compete. If James wouldn't need a release, why wouldn't he have told Duhamel then that he had a new professional partner and stopped signing new contracts to skate professionally with her? (It isn't clear to me whether James formally broke up her partnership with Cipres before or after considering teaming with Radford.) If after that, J/R decided to return to competitive skating and sought a release, that would have been from their professional relationship.
No release would have been required to do shows together.

sk8girl

KMT's current Instagram story is a video of her and Michael waiting behind the boards at a competition, with this caption: "Looking forward to not being called 'the old guys' at Nationals next year 😂😂"

LOL!!

At the bottom she also has a disclaimer:

"(Just a joke, don't @ me 😜)"

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Caitlin Yankowskas skated with two different partners after Couglin, and retired in 2015.

Yes I know that ....with two guys that were not up to her caliber. She even had to go to Great Britain and represent Great Britain for one of them. That’s like saying well Vanessa James can come skate with me and I’ll be her partner and will advance to one regional and that’s it!

Sparks

Yes I know that ....with two guys that were not up to her caliber. She even had to go to Great Britain and represent Great Britain for one of them. That’s like saying well Vanessa James can come skate with me and I’ll be her partner and will advance to one regional and that’s it!
To be fair, I saw her at 2012 Nats looking for a new partner. That's where she found Josh Reagan who was skating with Ashley Cain at the time.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I have a long list of demands, as long as we fans are demanding. I wanna know why Nguyen/Kolesik couldn't keep it together after winning Junior Worlds, they were future stars. How dare Shoma not explain to me his long coach-less odyssey and how he ended up with the one he's got. Excuse me Vlad Morozov but why do you always look like your dog died and could you fix it so you could finally win a big gold medal? Why can't Maddy Hubbell just say no to her mom's costumes?

Oh my goodness. You have come undone!!

No sense in trying to have a grown-up conversation with you

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I’ll spare you the endless list of the Mike Tysons, Tiger Woods and Michael Jordans who are again idolized and cheered for after exibiting far less than honorable behaviour. Maybe not in your books but thousands have looked past these behaviors. I’m not saying I agree with this as none of them ever became my idols again, but so many still cheer them on.

The athletes you have listed all apologized for their behaviour and made at least some reparations for it.

The Michael Vick example shows that there are some behaviours outside sports that not all fans will forgive or forget.

Xsktrx

The athletes you have listed all apologized for their behaviour and made at least some reparations for it.

The Michael Vick example shows that there are some behaviours outside sports that not all fans will forgive or forget.
Lol...

DreamSkates

Dumb question, who is Vick?
Think about movies - superhero blockbusters rule. Yes, people want "heroes" to look up to.

DreamSkates

LMAO not of this magnitude. That’s the point I’m trying to make. You’re just using hot air for the purpose of creating a post
I imagine after the long months of c****, there's much hot air to be expended so don't take every post too seriously. Anything can offer food for thought, or an option to ignore completely.

Xsktrx

Dumb question, who is Vick?
Think about movies - superhero blockbusters rule. Yes, people want "heroes" to look up to.
Micheal Vick was an NFL player who got caught up in a dog fighting ring and went to jail for it. Below, wiki says it best. I bolded an interesting part. Never really loved by the fans post prison but he got through it.

“Vick's NFL career came to a halt in 2007 after he pleaded guilty for his involvement in a dog fighting ring and spent 21 months in federal prison. His arrest and subsequent conviction garnered Vick notoriety with the general public, which lasted throughout the rest of his career. He was released by the Falcons shortly before leaving prison.

After serving his sentence, Vick signed with the Eagles in 2009. As a member of the Eagles for five years, he enjoyed the greatest statistical season of his career and was named to a fourth Pro Bowl in 2010. In his final two seasons in the NFL, Vick played for the New York Jets and Pittsburgh Steelers for one year each, primarily as a backup. He officially retired from professional football in 2017 after spending the entirety of the 2016 season in free agency.”

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I mean come on, most of you have been on FSU since the beginning and we can all recall just prior to those days, Tonya Harding skating in that 1999 pro event and getting a huge reception from the crowd. It also looked like the other skaters in said event welcomed her back with open arms, as well, and that was long before I, Tonya made the general population think twice about the situation.

If you want to go to an event and boo someone, good for you I guess? NBA players get boo'ed and trash-talked to constantly, as do MLB players and any team that has an 'away' game on their schedule and they are just fine. The skaters are still going to skate, and I bet you the cheers will be louder than anything you come up with while you pout in your seat.

Xsktrx

I mean come on, most of you have been on FSU since the beginning and we can all recall Tonya Harding skating in that 1999 pro event and getting a huge reception from the crowd. It also looked like the other skaters in said event welcomed her back with open arms, as well, and that was long before I, Tonya made the general population think twice about the situation.

If you want to go to an event and boo someone, good for you I guess? NBA players get boo'ed and trash-talked to constantly, as do MLB players and they are just fine. The skaters are still going to skate, and I bet you the cheers will be louder than anything you come up with while you pout in your seat.
I don’t always agree with your views but you have this nailed this one perfectly.

suef

Micheal Vick was an NFL player who got caught up in a dog fighting ring and went to jail for it. Below, wiki says it best. I bolded an interesting part. Never really loved by the fans post prison but he got through it.

“Vick's NFL career came to a halt in 2007 after he pleaded guilty for his involvement in a dog fighting ring and spent 21 months in federal prison. His arrest and subsequent conviction garnered Vick notoriety with the general public, which lasted throughout the rest of his career. He was released by the Falcons shortly before leaving prison.

After serving his sentence, Vick signed with the Eagles in 2009. As a member of the Eagles for five years, he enjoyed the greatest statistical season of his career and was named to a fourth Pro Bowl in 2010. In his final two seasons in the NFL, Vick played for the New York Jets and Pittsburgh Steelers for one year each, primarily as a backup. He officially retired from professional football in 2017 after spending the entirety of the 2016 season in free agency.”
He wasn't just involved in a dog fighting ring.. He also admitted to killing 6 -8 "under performing" dogs. They were killed by various methods, including hanging and drowning. Let that sink in for a moment.

Sorry, I will never support, or forgive that sort of behavior. And yes, I do side-eye those who forget/forgive it, just because the man throws a football.

Last edited:

Xsktrx

He wasn't just involved in a dog fighting ring.. He also admitted to killing 6 -8 "under performing" dogs. They were killed by various methods, including hanging and drowning. Let that sink in for a moment.

Sorry, I will never support, or forgive that sort of behavior. And yes, I do side-eye those who forgive/forgive it, just because the man throws a football.

Nor would I. Unfortunately many fans do look past things they should not but I’m not sure how this ended up equating anything Eric or even Vanessa has done to a dog murdering convicted felon. I don’t expect we will hear many boos at Nationals. Those who feels strongly enough about either skater’s character or actions don’t have to go or watch them compete.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I am sure there is a weight in all this that illudes me.
But what is the big deal? Doesn't Meghan have better things to do than complain about her ex-partner?

He could have handled things differently but in the scope of things who cares?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
But what is the big deal? Doesn't Meghan have better things to do than complain about her ex-partner?

Why do people insist left and right on jumping into a thread in which they’ve read no back-story to what led up to all of this?

He only became a former partner the minute he let her know a new partnership had taken the required steps to skate for Canada.

It wouldn’t allude you if you’d read.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Excuse me Vlad Morozov but why do you always look like your dog died
Hey, that is a totally valid question! ;)

LMAO not of this magnitude.
Yeah, no. There was much anguish, multiple threads where we talked about it, and accusations that Coughlin had slept with Denny when she was underage which would have been against the law.

He also came out of prison saying he was totally sorry and had just never considered dogs to be anything but property before but now he understands why what he did was so horrible. He also lobbied for H.R. 2492, the Animal Fighting Spectator Prohibition Act, which would establish federal misdemeanor penalties for spectators of illegal animal fighting and make it a felony for adults to bring children to fights. And was an active participant in the Humane Society’s anti-dog fighting campaign

Now, he could have been lying through his teeth about his change in attitude, but he's done way more than a lot of other people who have done bad things to make amends. That said, I had trouble watching any game he was in and often wouldn't. It's hard for me to forgive animal cruelty even if the person has made amends.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed

Sorry, I will never support, or forgive that sort of behavior. And yes, I do side-eye those who forgive/forgive it, just because the man throws a football.

Haven't been on the skating section of the forums for a while, but I will jump in for this one.

Is anyone else here a born and bred, bleeds green, lives and dies with the Eagles fan? (and since this seems to be an issue, although god knows why, who uses most of her real name on the forums:lol:)?

I am. Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory....

Michael Vick is a convicted felon who murdered dogs. I never forgave him. I could barely watch the Birds when he was playing and many of my fellow Eagles fans felt the same way. I found his platitudes about how he learned his lesson unconvincing. His stats mean nothing. Many fans I know feel the same way, many others didn't care and watched and rooted.

FWIW, I find Eric comes off in this PR fiasco far worse than Meagan. I don't care (as in I don't care, not that it bothers me) if Vanessa skates again or if she and Eric have found true skating love.

And thank God I will never see Michael Vick in midnight green again:angryfire

Xsktrx

Hey, that is a totally valid question! ;)

Yeah, no. There was much anguish, multiple threads where we talked about it, and accusations that Coughlin had slept with Denny when she was underage which would have been against the law.

He also came out of prison saying he was totally sorry and had just never considered dogs to be anything but property before but now he understands why what he did was so horrible. He also lobbied for H.R. 2492, the Animal Fighting Spectator Prohibition Act, which would establish federal misdemeanor penalties for spectators of illegal animal fighting and make it a felony for adults to bring children to fights. And was an active participant in the Humane Society’s anti-dog fighting campaign

Now, he could have been lying through his teeth about his change in attitude, but he's done way more than a lot of other people who have done bad things to make amends. That said, I had trouble watching any game he was in and often wouldn't. It's hard for me to forgive animal cruelty even if the person has made amends.
I agree. Never a basketball fan so I didn’t have to take a stance on cheering or booing or avoiding Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods I have never cheered for post infidelity admission and public apology. Mike Tyson I never understood after his rape conviction how when he was introduced at boxing matches whether he was fighting or just in the audience how the fans cheered for him like he was the best human being on the planet. I will admit since I was a huge boxing fan that while I never outwardly booed him I did secretly hope he lost his fights. Call that my silent protest. Sadly with the aforementioned athletes my opinion was clearly the minority based on the roars of approval.

Japanfan

Well, Megan and Eric and Vanessa do, for one.

I have a lot of empathy for Megan in this situation. Her future has been taken away from her. I'm sure she envisioned doing some shows with Eric in the future. And apparently she can't coach at her rink. I hope she can get a coaching position elsewhere. Or even better, open the envisioned vegan cafe. Megan does have a lot of nutritional knowledge to sharing with vegans.

screech

For the whole he said/she said thing, I think they both thought everything was clear, but unfortunately it ended up not being the case. Meagan probably assumed Eric/Vanessa were just skating together for fun until shows could pick up again and she and Eric could tour, or maybe Vanessa would skate with him whenever Meagan was unavailable. And Eric probably assumed that after he spoke with Meagan, she understood that he was planning to switch to Vanessa as a partner, since Vanessa can live/train in Montreal, which would have worked well for shows too if she couldn't get her release. Unfortunately they weren't clear with their assumptions, so they followed the old saying about making 'an ass of u and me'.

To be honest, I'm not too sure how D/R would have been able to train for shows and continue with each other long-term. Eric lives in Montreal with his husband and seems content to stay there. Meagan lives outside Toronto with her husband and daughter, and runs a skating school there. They have commitments in different provinces, and that isn't exactly conductive to a good training situation (even just for shows).

Xsktrx

For the whole he said/she said thing, I think they both thought everything was clear, but unfortunately it ended up not being the case. Meagan probably assumed Eric/Vanessa were just skating together for fun until shows could pick up again and she and Eric could tour, or maybe Vanessa would skate with him whenever Meagan was unavailable. And Eric probably assumed that after he spoke with Meagan, she understood that he was planning to switch to Vanessa as a partner, since Vanessa can live/train in Montreal, which would have worked well for shows too if she couldn't get her release. Unfortunately they weren't clear with their assumptions, so they followed the old saying about making 'an ass of u and me'.

To be honest, I'm not too sure how D/R would have been able to train for shows and continue with each other long-term. Eric lives in Montreal with his husband and seems content to stay there. Meagan lives outside Toronto with her husband and daughter, and runs a skating school there. They have commitments in different provinces, and that isn't exactly conductive to a good training situation (even just for shows).
Someone save me looking back through all these posts please. Didn’t I read somewhere Meagan said they did a couple of shows while she was pregnant? Was the plan for them to resume shows at some point after the birth and covid derailed that or the plans were never clear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information