Eric Radford and Vanessa James to compete in pairs together for Canada

MsZem

I see the sea
I’ll spare you the endless list of the Mike Tysons, Tiger Woods and Michael Jordans who are again idolized and cheered for after exibiting far less than honorable behaviour.

The athletes you have listed all apologized for their behaviour and made at least some reparations for it.

The Michael Vick example shows that there are some behaviours outside sports that not all fans will forgive or forget.

He wasn't just involved in a dog fighting ring.. He also admitted to killing 6 -8 "under performing" dogs. They were killed by various methods, including hanging and drowning. Let that sink in for a moment.
Mike Tyson was convicted of raping an 18 year old. And I don't believe he's tried to make amends like Vick did after serving his sentence.

mackiecat

Just want to clarify. I never said she was kicked out. @Colonel Green said their was a disagreement with the rink. I corrected him saying it would be the club not rink then @Willin chimed in that rinks control who work in them and I corrected him in saying that in Canada clubs not rinks ( municipality) determine who coaches Unless it is a private club ( which are few and far between, especially in Ontario. I think only Granite and TCCSC)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Silly question:

Assuming that J/R make the Canadian Olympic team, what guarantee is there that they’ll be selected to participate in one or both segments of the Team Event? MT/M could end up being national champs once again, with two strongest programs. Team Canada may opt to use two dance teams, two men, one lady & one pair.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Silly question:

Assuming that J/R make the Canadian Olympic team, what guarantee is there that they’ll be selected to participate in one or both segments of the Team Event? MT/M could end up being national champs once again, with two strongest programs. Team Canada may opt to use two dance teams, two men, one lady & one pair.
Well, they are only using one lady either way and the men still have to qualify a second spot, so we are down to three disciplines max with option to substitute two. There is the chance that MT/M could stay a clear number one throughout next year and that they decide they would like to do both segments of the team event (granted that Canada makes the LP). No country has to use their substitutes, and Canada only opted to use one in 2018.

This also is of course dependent on whether J/R can even get that Olympic spot.

Mme Bovary

Regarding Duhamel and coaching at her rink:

Meagan chose to step away from the position herself. Long story short, she decided not to be in that environment anymore. There were issues that made her feel uncomfortable, and she decided to leave. She was not kicked out by Bruno or forced to go 😆
Can you expand on that and give more details please?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Well, they are only using one lady either way and the men still have to qualify a second spot, so we are down to three disciplines max with option to substitute two. There is the chance that MT/M could stay a clear number one throughout next year and that they decide they would like to do both segments of the team event (granted that Canada makes the LP). No country has to use their substitutes, and Canada only opted to use one in 2018.

This also is of course dependent on whether J/R can even get that Olympic spot.

Thanks, Tony.

At this early stage, it would be a bit pretentious of J/R to think that they’re on the fast track for a spot on the Canadian Oly Team...let alone that they’ll be part of the Team Event...let alone that said team will medal in Beijing.

Mme Bovary

Thanks, Tony.

At this early stage, it would be a bit pretentious of J/R to think that they’re on the fast track for a spot on the Canadian Oly Team...let alone that they’ll be part of the Team Event...let alone that said team will medal in Beijing.
I kind of wonder if they stood more chance with France. (Of course, apart from the citizenship issue.)

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
I kind of wonder if they stood more chance with France. (Of course, apart from the citizenship issue.)
It's pretty clear they'd be immediately ahead of Hamon/Strekalin and Keriven Pierre. As French saying goes, so far ahead that the young Frenchies would only see their rear ends in the midst... But there'd be no way around citizenship issue. Beijing is in 10 months and it takes much longer to get citizenship even with the help of someone who can pull strings at the highest levels and Péchalat cannot.

Rafter

Meagan chose to step away from the position herself. Long story short, she decided not to be in that environment anymore. There were issues that made her feel uncomfortable, and she decided to leave. She was not kicked out by Bruno or forced to go 😆

Surrrrrre

Cringe at Duhamel’s latest Instagram story. Yeah right, Meagan. You stoked the flames and played martyr to try and get people (fans) on your side and to try to sabotage Eric right from the get go. She was being outspoken all over social media for a reason.

It seems to me that Duhamel wants her cake and wants to eat it too. Despite moving 6 hours from her partner, setting up a school, having a baby (with more to come eventually), she wanted Eric to sit patiently and wait for HER timetable to be able to do shows or anything professionally. Frankly, I don’t see how Meagan can’t see this/his side of it and how she even thought a pro or touring career with him would work given all the logistics she has to deal with.

Someone on this thread or the Cdn pairs thread made a comment about toddlers being portable. Ha! You’ve got to be kidding me. You can’t take your eyes off a toddler for one second unless they’re sleeping. Even the amount of gear (stroller, portable crib, car seat) and other stuff you need is crazy. If she went to Japan or Europe with toddler in tow, she would have to bring a nanny alongside her or else her mother. Logistical nightmare. If she left her child in Canada while she was overseas touring, she would have to have help in the home while Marcotte worked at the rink.

No doubt Radford could see the writing on the wall.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
Someone on this thread or the Cdn pairs thread made a comment about toddlers being portable. Ha! You’ve got to be kidding me. You can’t take your eyes off a toddler for one second unless they’re sleeping. If she went to Japan or Europe with toddler in tow, she would have to bring a nanny alongside her or else her mother. Logistical nightmare. If she left her child in Canada while she was overseas touring, she would have to have help in the home while Marcotte worked at the rink.
Yes, all women are tied to the home permanently when they have children. :rolleyes:

Rafter

So these same issues didn’t make her husband also feel uncomfortable? Weird situation all around.

Rafter

Yes, all women are tied to the home permanently when they have children. :rolleyes:

That’s not what I’m saying. You’re completely missing my point. Meagan or Eric said she was talking about taking her baby with her overseas while on tour. My point is she would have to have hired help or family help with her.

Many women go back to work after having a baby, but babies can’t stay home by themselves so it’s either nanny, daycare or mother/mother-in-law caring for the baby.

skategal

Bunny mama
That’s not what I’m saying. You’re completely missing my point. Meagan or Eric said she was talking about taking her baby with her overseas while on tour. My point is she would have to have hired help or family help with her.

Many women go back to work after having a baby, but babies can’t stay home by themselves so it’s either nanny, daycare or mother/mother-in-law caring for the baby.
So what?

That’s what lots of skaters do when they tour. It’s not a big deal.

And I’ve had a toddler and travelled around the world with him for fun with no one besides my husband and I with him.

It’s not that hard.

If my paycheque depended on it, you can bet I’d do it in heartbeat even if it meant hiring someone.

becca

I have to side a little bit here with Eric. Meghan moved six hours away. They weren’t actively skating together. Plenty of reasons to look for a new partner. Once again she didn’t have to bring all up on social media.

This being said a woman having a baby 99.9 of jobs none of mans business because replacements can be found. However in competitive skating when there is limited career window. It’s not fair to say it’s not a factor although TMI.

D

Deleted member 221

It seems to me that Duhamel wants her cake and wants to eat it too. Despite moving 6 hours from her partner, setting up a school, having a baby (with more to come eventually), she wanted Eric to sit patiently and wait for HER timetable to be able to do shows or anything professionally. Frankly, I don’t see how Meagan can’t see this/his side of it and how she even thought a pro or touring career with him would work given all the logistics she has to deal with.

Agree 100%. She is coming off like a whiny spoiled brat with no regard for her partner, or how her choices have put her partner in a difficult position. She sounds almost as bad as Grishuk assuming Platov would come to Hollywood with her and be her bodyguard :lol:.

Meagan made her choices; Eric is making his. They didn't have a single show booked. What was he really walking away from? Nothing, IMO.

skategal

Bunny mama
It is good to know that female skaters cannot do shows if they have children without massive assistance. Another reason I won’t buy tickets.

So, no female skater toured when they had small children?
Well they can leave them home with their fathers but you would think by some of the posts on FSU that the suggestion was the same as locking them in the basement for a month by themselves. :lol:

becca

It is good to know that female skaters cannot do shows if they have children without massive assistance. Another reason I won’t buy tickets.

I don’t think child care is issue Meghan is an adult who can pay for her own childcare I don’t think tour necessarily great for kids. But her choice. Nothing to do with Eric.

I do think though if pregnancy is something she wants than yes that is something that does effect Eric and it’s not wrong for him wanting a partner who will be able to skate.

morqet

rising like a phoenix

Astounding I know, but the child also has a father! Who should be perfectly capable of caring for his child!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
You're KIDDING! This is BRAND NEW INFORMATION! ;)

I'm pretty sure Meagan was aware of this and would have been prepared to hire help. She's been raising this child for a while now.

Vagabond

I am shocked that anyone seriously thinks that Radford should be doing shows with Duhamel at some distant point in the future when there are shows again instead of competing with James next season, as the latter is clearly what he wants to do. SMH.

skategal

Bunny mama
I am shocked that anyone seriously thinks that Radford should be doing shows with Duhamel at some distant point in the future when there are shows again instead of competing with James next season, as the latter is clearly what he wants to do. SMH.
I don’t think many people think that.

Most people think Meagan deserved to know earlier so she could get on with her life and seek other opportunities to make money too.

becca

I don’t think many people think that.

Most people think Meagan deserved to know earlier so she could get on with her life and seek other opportunities to make money too.
Wasn’t she kind of moving on with her life! I mean she lived six hours away. And he wasn’t sure it would work with Vanessa.

Maybe he could have been more upfront but it’s not like they were actively touring Or training together.

I mean for all intensive purposes she moved on so he did too.

TRAxel

For those stating that it would be hard for a team to stay together for shows if they didn't live in the same city, there are many teams that live in different cities that still do shows together. Kaitlyn Weaver moved to NYC shortly before the pandemic hit... her and Andrew Poje were still going to do shows together. Competing would definitely be a problem, but not shows. #justsaying

Rafter

Babies and toddlers do need massive assistance to survive so yes, she would need assistance and support with her baby while touring.

Rafter

So what?

That’s what lots of skaters do when they tour. It’s not a big deal.

And I’ve had a toddler and travelled around the world with him for fun with no one besides my husband and I with him.

It’s not that hard.

If my paycheque depended on it, you can bet I’d do it in heartbeat even if it meant hiring someone.

Were you also working while travelling around the world with your toddler? You also had your husband with you which Meagan wouldn’t have because Marcotte would either be in Ontario or travelling himself for his own career.

I’ve travelled to Europe with a 2 year old and 5 month old and it was a ton of work.

Rafter

Well they can leave them home with their fathers but you would think by some of the posts on FSU that the suggestion was the same as locking them in the basement for a month by themselves. :lol:

And when the fathers leave the house to go to work?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Surrrrrre

Cringe at Duhamel’s latest Instagram story. Yeah right, Meagan. You stoked the flames and played martyr to try and get people (fans) on your side and to try to sabotage Eric right from the get go. She was being outspoken all over social media for a reason.

Someone on this thread or the Cdn pairs thread made a comment about toddlers being portable. Ha! You’ve got to be kidding me. You can’t take your eyes off a toddler for one second unless they’re sleeping. Even the amount of gear (stroller, portable crib, car seat) and other stuff you need is crazy. If she went to Japan or Europe with toddler in tow, she would have to bring a nanny alongside her or else her mother. Logistical nightmare. If she left her child in Canada while she was overseas touring, she would have to have help in the home while Marcotte worked at the rink.

No doubt Radford could see the writing on the wall.
Are you half-reading the thread? There are certain facts that are being left out all over the place. First of all, you're a skating fan and you know damn well that there are partnerships that continue even though the skaters are in different cities - think about Weaver and Poje, Davis and White, I believe Belbin and Agosto for a long time, etc. That was during normal times, not even having to deal with CV.

They were confirmed for SOI Japan until they were told they couldn't go to Japan in February. Eric has confirmed this in his own response and he also mentions he got the idea with Vanessa during BOTB, which was before February. What timetable is he waiting for, exactly? You also surely know Duhamel was back on the ice relatively quickly and landing her jumps again, and even won BOTB, but people make it seem as if she's been sitting in a bunker doing absolutely nothing.

Eric went behind the scenes to push for James to get her French release, she got it, and then they pushed forward with a competitive partnership. Had she not gotten it quick enough, what would have happened? Wait to see if SOI Canada/USA possibly go on in the fall with Duhamel? Since 4 years is a long way away would he tell Vanessa tough luck?

TSL or some other source also pointed out that apparently Radford went to Aliona in 2014 and she says as much in her book asking about a partnership. What was his excuse then? He knew Meagan was going to have a baby 5 years later? :lol:

And would Meagan be the first person to work while having a child to manage? You also know the answer to this is no but I'm sure you have reasons why all others managed it alright. If Aliona would've seriously come back for 2022 I'm sure the last thing people would be talking about is how she is going to do it with a child (and Massot too - or maybe his wife can do all the work in that one?)

And who said anything about more babies? I keep seeing that.

ETA- Eric made his decision which he is totally fine to do, but I don't see why people are so shocked about Meagan not being happy about the surprise announcement after everything was already lined up. There's no doubt he was playing both sides throughout the first part of the year until he was assured he had another chance at the Olympics - read his words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information