Eric Radford and Vanessa James to compete in pairs together for Canada

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Someone save me looking back through all these posts please. Didn’t I read somewhere Meagan said they did a couple of shows while she was pregnant? Was the plan for them to resume shows at some point after the birth and ********* derailed that or the plans were never clear?
They did two tours while she was pregnant.

They were scheduled for tours, but then YNW happened.

RoseRed

Well, Megan and Eric and Vanessa do, for one.

I have a lot of empathy for Megan in this situation. Her future has been taken away from her. I'm sure she envisioned doing some shows with Eric in the future. And apparently she can't coach at her rink. I hope she can get a coaching position elsewhere. Or even better, open the envisioned vegan cafe. Megan does have a lot of nutritional knowledge to sharing with vegans.
She can't? I hadn't heard that. Do we know why?

ioana

And even in France, she'd been there since 2008 when she paired up with Ciprès at the end of summer 2010. She speaks 10 times better French than he will ever speak English.
Am really glad you brought this up because I was reading one of her quotes from the Bev Smith article
I think it has to do with not only our mindset but our complicity and our way of working and listening to each other, feelings and things like that, James said.

Unfortunate slip-of-the-tongue aside, complicity in English is almost always used to mean being involved in some illegal activity or wrongdoing. I know in French it can be used to mean a strong relationship/rapport. Is it used in that sense often enough where she would think that's the main meaning and incorrectly use the English 'false friend'? Since it looks like that's what happened here :).

dogbert

Sounds like Eric didn’t handle things well from a communications point of view.

He is under no obligation to continue with Meagan but he absolutely owed her a chat to tell what was happening.

Not to do that after so many years together must be terribly hurtful for Meagan.
Yes - exactly. Radford didn't need permission from Duhamel, but it would have been kind and considerate of him to at least let her know, privately, before a public announcement was made. He has always given me the impression of being a bit too self-centred and sadly, this is consistent with that. Meagan's statement wasn't written that well, but it comes off as genuine. JMO, but it is understandable that she feels hurt.

firstflight

Yes - exactly. Radford didn't need permission from Duhamel, but it would have been kind and considerate of him to at least let her know, privately, before a public announcement was made. He has always given me the impression of being a bit too self-centred and sadly, this is consistent with that. Meagan's statement wasn't written that well, but it comes off as genuine. JMO, but it is understandable that she feels hurt.
I think you’re a bit behind on the sequence of events. People who have read this article have a different general understanding of what happened:

mackiecat

He told her two weeks before the public announcement. In the Smith article, she wished him luck after they spoke. She then said over the next two weeks she got upset. Sounds to me like SHE blindsided him with her betrayal post. He was still going on the assumption that she was fine from how their call went

Willin

Why are we sure Meagan wasn't told? What one person thought they said isn't always heard or interpreted as one thought it was.
She was - just two weeks prior to the announcement, not when this started 6 months ago.
Wouldn’t be rink they don’t hire coaches, it would be club
Not true. Coaches are often hired by the rink unless the club owns the rink. The rink can hire/fire coaches. There are also coaches employed by neither rink nor club and pay the rink for the right to coach there (even for stuff like club sessions). In that case the rink doesn't hire you, but they can stop you from coaching there for pretty much any reason (too many other coaches at the rink, not paying your dues, not teaching group classes for them, personality issues, your schedule, poaching students, your coaching insurance, etc.).

VGThuy

It Galler-Rabinowitz/Mitchell didn’t get booed at 2006 Nationals after his and his mother’s efforts to stop Tanith Belbin from receiving US citizenship for Torino went public thus affecting the only medal chance the US had in ice dance, then nobody is getting booed here.

:mitchell:

once_upon

Better off than 2020
She was - just two weeks prior to the announcement, not when this started 6 months ago
I think someone else said somewhere on this board and I kind of think it rings true. She was aware and probably wanted to be the one to announce her blessing

And if she was truly clueless- well there were plenty of people who could have clued her in, starting with her sister in law and her husband.

As I said earlier, there were many communication errors on EVERYONE'S part. And public breakups in any format are ugly. It's rare if any breakup is amicable. Especially when social media is involved.

puglover

I have always liked Eric but most of his responses are not impressing me. Perhaps it was not his intention to hurt anyone, but he is surely aware enough, to know the way he went about this was poor. It makes so much more sense to have had a heart to heart with Meghan and possibly Bruno when the plans for the new team started percolating.

As far as Vanessa being responsible for the atrocious behaviour of her partner, she is, of course, not responsible. She paid a big price for his ??? However, if she knew about this, they would have a hard time shutting me up. My disgust would have been out there.

mackiecat

She was - just two weeks prior to the announcement, not when this started 6 months ago.

Not true. Coaches are often hired by the rink unless the club owns the rink. The rink can hire/fire coaches. There are also coaches employed by neither rink nor club and pay the rink for the right to coach there (even for stuff like club sessions). In that case the rink doesn't hire you, but they can stop you from coaching there for pretty much any reason (too many other coaches at the rink, not paying your dues, not teaching group classes for them, personality issues, your schedule, poaching students, your coaching insurance, etc.).
This isn’t how it works in Canada except in private clubs like the granite or TCCSC. Oakville rink is a public rink where the club rents the ice from the municipality . The rink has no say in who is on ice teaching. You are thinking about the American model

Debbie S

This isn’t how it works in Canada except in private clubs like the granite or TCCSC. Oakville rink is a public rink where the club rents the ice from the municipality . The rink has no say in who is on ice teaching. You are thinking about the American model
That's actually how it works in most American rinks too, although there may be geographic differences. Unless the club owns the rink (ex: Philly, Wilmington, Detroit, Boston), the club is a contractor just like hockey...they buy ice from either rink owner or municipality, whoever owns the rink. Most rinks have an open pro policy, meaning any coach who has insurance (some rinks require PSA membership and USFS compliance, some don't) can teach there. Clubs can have reqs/restrictions for coaches on their club ice, i.e. require USFS certification, allow only coaches who have passed Senior Moves/Gold Figures, etc.

But even with an open pro policy, a coach who causes problems and/or behaves unethically or illegally can be kicked out. What warrants that depends on each rink. I know of several coaches in my area who have been kicked out of rinks in the 20 years since I started skating. Fortunately, only a few.

Xsktrx

This isn’t how it works in Canada except in private clubs like the granite or TCCSC. Oakville rink is a public rink where the club rents the ice from the municipality . The rink has no say in who is on ice teaching. You are thinking about the American model.
I would be surprised if Oakville Skating Club could have made her leave given Bruno must have a fair bit of clout there. Maybe she decided it wouldn’t work out for her there for other reasons.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
I know in French it can be used to mean a strong relationship/rapport. Is it used in that sense often enough
Yes it is. 'Complicité' as in the relation between accomplices is part of French language too. It's the literal sense. 'Complice' as in close friend means that, figuratively, you care so much about said friend you would cover her/his crime. The 2 meanings are equally frequent in French I think. In English I'll tell you that Taz'smum is my 'partner in crime', in French I'll say she is my 'complice'. (Also, I have a large garden where she can bury her victims. That comes handy since she lives in a flat :rofl: )

where she would think that's the main meaning and incorrectly use the English 'false friend'? Since it looks like that's what happened here :).
English is Vanessa's native language and she is very literate and articulate. Complicity as a bond is the second definition given by Merriam-Webster just as it's the second definition of Larousse for 'complicité'. I think that people who speak more than 1 language rarely trip on 'faux amis". It's more like, for an instant, some words in the language you are using escape you and they are more or less automatically replaced by their foreign equivalent. Last time I talked to Maé-Bérénice Meité (in French), she struggled to find a particular idiomatic expression and it came out in English (which is a language much clearer and concise than French IMO). This afternoon I was unable to find the words for 'coping mechanism' in French and I heard myself switching to English as my interlocutor speaks it too. I assume Vanessa used complicity willingly in the 'bond' sense, I wouldn't say it was the wrong use of a false friend or a slip of the tongue. She has spent the recent past years in a 100% English speaking environment for the exception of Ciprès when he was still in the US and Aymoz who's been back home for more than 1 year now. (She and Maé use mainly English). Her French is excellent (and beautifully accented, French love it!) but it's a language she learnt, not one she grew up with. And now I have to ask my 'almost daughter' ´s opinion about all this as she studies neurosciences and speech therapy!

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
He wasn't just involved in a dog fighting ring.. He also admitted to killing 6 -8 "under performing" dogs. They were killed by various methods, including hanging and drowning. Let that sink in for a moment.

Sorry, I will never support, or forgive that sort of behavior. And yes, I do side-eye those who forget/forgive it, just because the man throws a football.

I stopped rooting for the Eagles after half a lifetime when they hired Vick as quarterback and I’ll never root for them again. (And also stopped rooting for the Washington Football Team when its douchebag owner said he would never change the name.)

Willin

Somehow I doubt that the rink has 0 control. They're not going to let someone without coaching insurance on the ice regardless, or a known abuser, or someone unethical. I can't imagine that just because a club rents ice doesn't mean they can just let whoever they want coach.

VICK B.

There is video on YouTube... explaining everything... Vanessa wants a Olympic medal... She is very excited and the training in Montreal is excellent...

TO VANESSA AND HER FANS... YOU DO IT .. BRING A OLYMPIC MEDAL FOR CANADA..

🇨🇦 ⛸+🍁⛸=🙏 for

◯‍◯‍◯‍◯‍◯🏅🏅

mackiecat

Somehow I doubt that the rink has 0 control. They're not going to let someone without coaching insurance on the ice regardless, or a known abuser, or someone unethical. I can't imagine that just because a club rents ice doesn't mean they can just let whoever they want coach.
Sat on a skate Canada club board for 20 years. We never had to submit a list of coaches for approval to the municipality , to skate Canada- yes, to city-no. Everything is run under the skate Canada sanction.

ioana

English is Vanessa's native language and she is very literate and articulate. Complicity as a bond is the second definition given by Merriam-Webster just as it's the second definition of Larousse for 'complicité'.
I saw the dictionary definition, too but honestly don’t remember ever hearing complicity used in that sense. Maybe it’s more common in British English? And even though French is not Vanessa’s native language, this would be something that comes up in partnership interviews a lot. Not that it was an accurate description of James & Ciprés, but as desired end game for the team relationship. Or something other teams had as a strength.

Thank you very much for clarifying the French usage! Back to regular TeamMeagan Vs TeamEric programming now 🙂

Alilou

Ubercavorter
There is video on YouTube... explaining everything... Vanessa wants a Olympic medal... She is very excited and the training in Montreal is excellent...

TO VANESSA AND HER FANS... YOU DO IT .. BRING A OLYMPIC MEDAL FOR CANADA..

🇨🇦 ⛸+🍁⛸=🙏 for

◯‍◯‍◯‍◯‍◯🏅🏅

Link please

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Regarding Duhamel and coaching at her rink:

Meagan chose to step away from the position herself. Long story short, she decided not to be in that environment anymore. There were issues that made her feel uncomfortable, and she decided to leave. She was not kicked out by Bruno or forced to go 😆

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information