June Hyoung Lee

Ashley Wagner (for 3 spots)
Jason Brown (for 3 spots)
Mai Mihara/Wakaba Higuchi (for 2 spots)

Still to be confirmed:
Matilda Algotsson
Laurine Lecavelier

Anybody else I have missed?

(Oops...move to Trash Can please, thanks).

Bellanca

A skater's goodwill and popularity within their own federation and among their loyal, biased fan base along with other assorted and problematic issues like reputation, endorsements, sponsorships, etc -- these internal and external pressures are never a good reason or acceptable excuse to automatically name someone to an Olympic team. I do not care how many boxes of cereal an athlete can persuade or influence the public to purchase... If the athlete in question does not cut it in competition (particularly at their own Nationals) when it should really count, then they should not go. That is the right call.

In individual sports and competition, it should not be about what you did two, three years ago or even a week ago, it should be about what you can do today. That is what the Olympic Games are all about - the moment, capturing the moment and rising to the occasion. :soapbox:

Last edited:

rhapsody

child please....

he didn't earn squat last year at worlds (because he wasnt there) or this year at Nebelhorn (even if it woulda mattered)..

Ice hook please....

LOL. I thought the person meant it for Sochi because Ross was at Worlds in 2013, but I re-read the top and the OP asked about 2018.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
LOL. I thought the person meant it for Sochi because Ross was at Worlds in 2013, but I re-read the top and the OP asked about 2018.

Ross was 14th at 2013 Worlds...I'm not sure you could count it as "earning" an Olympic berth. But if we talk 2013 Worlds, then we include Max on that list. He was 7th in his Worlds debut that year.

paskatefan

misskarne, What was heartbreaking to me was that our three USA men (Adam, Max, Grant) finished in the top ten @ 2016 Worlds, but we still lost a spot for 2015 Worlds. :wuzrobbed Yes, I do realize that the magic number is 13 (and the US guys finished 6th, 8th, 10th, IIRC respectively), but it's still a bummer. :(

Lis

Im so angry now I donĀ“t understand SOC.
I like Martinez donĀ“t misunderstand but he did not earn the spot at NT Alexander did for stupid Sweden and SOC.
Do the walk SOC ...Shame shame shame...

shady82

misskarne, What was heartbreaking to me was that our three USA men (Adam, Max, Grant) finished in the top ten @ 2016 Worlds, but we still lost a spot for 2015 Worlds. :wuzrobbed Yes, I do realize that the magic number is 13 (and the US guys finished 6th, 8th, 10th, IIRC respectively), but it's still a bummer. :(

The current rules regarding spots don't make much sense. If a country sends 3 people to Worlds, the number of spots the following year should depend on the placements of all three, not just two of them.

Skittl1321

This makes me sad too.

I mean, I'm sad for the #2 pairs team that doesn't go to the Olympics because they were shut out by a rule. But I'm more sad for the man who doesn't go to worlds.

Because, the pairs aren't competitive internationally, they just aren't. Whereas, were the men didn't get the "magic number". Three men in the top 10 at Worlds says, to me, they are competitive.

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
Hello, I agree that one of the saddest things about being a figure skating fan is when favorite skaters don't have the opportunity to compete at the winter Olympic games! My favorite skater is Anastasia Galustyan who is from Armenia, and she tried to get a spot to compete at the Pyeongchang Olympics but sadly did not actually get that spot. I was looking forward to seeing her programs again, which are from two musicals that are "Les Miserables" and "Cats," both very famous shows with many fans.

There is an article about Anastasia that talks about how it was "somewhat symbolical" that she didn't get the success she was hoping for, but it is talking about last season, however I think it is even more true after she lost the chance to compete at the Olympics. You can read the article if you click on the link that is part of my signature.

I do not know much about American skating but I saw posts on web sites talking about how Ross Minor and Ashley Wagner should have been able to go to the Olympics, too. Maybe people have discussed that on this forum but I am new here so I don't know if that's true or not!

Bellanca

Hello, I agree that one of the saddest things about being a figure skating fan is when favorite skaters don't have the opportunity to compete at the winter Olympic games!
It is sad, I agree, but therein lies the problemā€¦ just because they are fan favorites does not entitle them to be at the Olympic Games unless they earn the trip. Relying too much on what they've accomplished, say, a month ago or so is a thin argument. Show us what you can do now, in a present-day competition. Competing in the moment will win someone gold @ the Olympics, unless, of course, there is an agenda which is entirely possible if history is any indication -- especially in this sport.

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
It is sad, I agree, but therein lies the problemā€¦ just because they are fan favorites does not entitle them to be at the Olympic Games unless they earn the trip. Relying too much on what they've accomplished, say, a month ago or so is a thin argument. Show us what you can do now, in a present-day competition. Competing in the moment will win someone gold @ the Olympics, unless, of course, there is an agenda which is entirely possible if history is any indication -- especially in this sport.
This "speaks" for me; as well!

vesperholly

Hello, I agree that one of the saddest things about being a figure skating fan is when favorite skaters don't have the opportunity to compete at the winter Olympic games! My favorite skater is Anastasia Galustyan who is from Armenia, and she tried to get a spot to compete at the Pyeongchang Olympics but sadly did not actually get that spot. I was looking forward to seeing her programs again, which are from two musicals that are "Les Miserables" and "Cats," both very famous shows with many fans.
Hasn't she been injured all season? She withdrew from Europeans.

Seriously pissed for Majorov. He earned that spot with a medal at Nebelhorn AND with his 7th place finish at Europeans. The BRONZE MEDALIST didn't even earn 260 points. How do you motivate your skaters to do well and train hard if you take away the carrot at the end of the stick?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information