Decisions of the ISU Council: Stockholm Worlds (March 22-28) still on; Synchro Worlds cancelled; 2021 Grand Prix schedule/Beijing test event announced

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
The Russian Fed requested that the skaters be put in separate rooms while they isolate in Stockholm today. waiting for their tests to come back, but it seems that the skaters are having to share rooms🤷‍♀️.
So if one test comes back positive, that is potentially 4 skaters out of worlds if they are in pairs/dance.😢
Does it really matter when the group has been isolating together and travelling as a group?
I understand more if a team like the US were in this situation where they aren't travelling as a group.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
It doesn't matter how countries are sending their teams. What matters is having everyone follow the rules once there.

Sylvia

TBD
I enjoyed reading this, posted by @Hanna in the Worlds subforum, and thought others might as well:
I thought this was a very interesting read about how the Finnish team leader + skaters have prepared to spend the week in the required bubble (for example a car full of food :lol: ). The article google translates to English very well.

While the rest of the team flies, the Finnish fed president takes his car on the ferry so that he can fill the car with everyone's wishlist and tons of necessities. Dedication. :lol:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
It doesn't matter how countries are sending their teams. What matters is having everyone follow the rules once there.
Are you responding to me? I don't understand where your comment fits into what taz'mum and I just posted?

angi

While I agree that skating Twitter is borderline xenophobic when it comes to Russia, some of the criticism today is valid. There are Instagram stories that show that basically, every skater is sitting without a mask on the flight and it makes little sense. Even if they did all just spend four days in a bubble together they are now coming into contact with people who weren't in the bubble - the flight crew and the Russian one channel crew (which I assume weren't in the bubble with them but can be seen with masks on their chin in some of the stories). All it takes is one of those people testing positive at some point and the entire Russian team (plus their coaches who coach skaters who perhaps aren't on the plane) will basically be out of Worlds. Why not just wear a mask on the flight? I honestly don't get the logic behind taking such an unnecessary risk for their participation (if not their health...).

pairsicedance

The Russian Fed requested that the skaters be put in separate rooms while they isolate in Stockholm today. waiting for their tests to come back, but it seems that the skaters are having to share rooms🤷‍♀️.
So if one test comes back positive, that is potentially 4 skaters out of worlds if they are in pairs/dance.😢
Ugh that would be horrible - I so hope it doesn't come to that. (And you just know FS Twitter would be gloating if it does 😒)

I do wonder then why the pairs/dancers aren't sharing rooms with their partners, even if just for these 24 hours to minimise the number of skaters out if there is a positive result. (I mean I totally get why, skating together certainly doesn't mean you want to share a room and it might be a bit odd for the non off-ice couples😅 ) but I'm sure they could put up with it for one night if it meant they were more likely to be able to skate.

mjb52

There were a bunch of stories from Novogorsk, quite possible the Russia One crew was there bubbling with them?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I do wonder then why the pairs/dancers aren't sharing rooms with their partners, even if just for these 24 hours to minimise the number of skaters out if there is a positive result. (I mean I totally get why, skating together certainly doesn't mean you want to share a room and it might be a bit odd for the non off-ice couples😅 ) but I'm sure they could put up with it for one night if it meant they were more likely to be able to skate.
It'd make a terrific premise for a Cutting Edge-type movie!

Regretla

I'd expect them to at least let them stay with their coaches or partners . Crossing fingers everything will be well.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
No, of course they wore masks!
Only when the were posing for a group photo did they lower their masks!
https://ren.tv/news/sport/814108-rossiiskie-figuristy-otpravilis-na-chempionat-mira-v-stokgolm

The Russian skaters have been in isolation for 4 days and have had 2 negative tests before even flying.
They also chartered a plane exclusively for the Russian team so they would remain in their bubble.
This I believe is a tighter preparation than most countries.

You know I love you, but these two posts completely contradict each other. Why would it matter if they share rooms in Stockholm when they have supposedly been in a strict bubble together? :confused:

This is before I even get into the fact that the incubation period for YKW is longer than 4 days......

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
You know I love you, but these two posts completely contradict each other. Why would it matter if they share rooms in Stockholm when they have supposedly been in a strict bubble together? :confused:

This is before I even get into the fact that the incubation period for YKW is longer than 4 days......

They don't contradict each other precisely because the incubation period is longer than 4 days!
The Russians have only isolated for 4 days, so they want a longer isolation to be sure!
The average incubation is 4 -5 days, so this is day 5 for the Russians, so better they are not sharing!

Oh and I love you too 😘

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight

taz'smum

But chartering a plane all together broke any isolation they may have done. Plus we have already seen that they were not taking the utmost precautions on the flight for whatever reason.

True they should've worn masks.
I see one idiot talking to Jon, and one person walking along the aisle, but I see that the majority are sitting socially distanced.
However, IMO, it's much more dangerous sharing a room for 24 hours with another skater than sitting for 2 hours socially distanced on a plane where the air is filtered.

Last edited:

barbk

But chartering a plane all together broke any isolation they may have done. Plus we have already seen that they were not taking the utmost precautions on the flight for whatever reason.

A family member flies very high-end charter jets. From his experience, the vast majority of charter clients have consistently ignored precautions. Meanwhile, he masks, wears glasses, goes through bottles of Purell, and gives the lav a good wipedown before and after using it.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
True they should've worn masks.
I see one idiot talking to Jon, and one person walking along the aisle, but I see that the majority are sitting socially distanced.
It's much more dangerous sharing a room for 24 hours with another skater than sitting for 2 hours socially distanced on a plane where the air is filtered.
Airplane air is filtered, but there have been cases of transmission even on socially distanced flights. Why the team would not take a simple precaution for a short flight seems to me completely reckless.... :confused:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
It's much more dangerous sharing a room for 24 hours with another skater than sitting for 2 hours socially distanced on a plane.
And when they all took their masks off to take a group photo? That wasn't socially distanced.
Look I don't care personally, I just don't see how you don't see the contradiction in your posts.
I know you have probably seen the instagram photo of two teammates, maskless, lying on the beds beside each other (maybe 50 cm apart). Again, don't care personally, but it's hard to get concern over not being able to isolate privately for "day five" when they weren't leading up to it :confused:

eta... :lol: you posted the pic after I hit send ;)

taz'smum

But not a single person is wearing a mask. Airplane air is filtered, but there have been cases of transmission even on socially distanced flights. Why the team would not take a simple precaution for a short flight seems to me completely reckless.... :confused:

The skaters feel incorrectly that after 4 days of isolation, the fact that they have all had negative tests means that they are all clean and there is no need for masks between themselves.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
The Russians are gonna do what the Russians are gonna do. And now it's done and there's no undoing it. Let's just hope and pray, those of us who pray, that it all works out all right, for everyone's sake.

taz'smum

;)

Most of us really want to cheer the Russians on, but they really make it hard for us! :drama:

Try being the mother of one! 😄
The culture is just so different!

It is like the difference between the UK and France.
Here in France you have to wear masks everywhere outside of your house even walking in parks and streets.
So I find it quite shocking to see so many people out and about in the UK maskless.

However, I just accept that it is their culture and this is the way they are dealing with the crisis.
I do not criticise them for it.

I'd like to see more tolerance of the fact that every country deals with C19 differently.

Russia did its best, isolating the skaters for 4 days, chartering a plane just for them, and requesting private rooms in Stockholm.
Give them credit for at least trying!

Last edited:

hoptoad

I'll breath a sigh of relief once all the skaters have tested negative and are cleared to compete! Are any federations making serious efforts to position their alternates in case they are needed?

taz'smum

You also have to take things in context.
In Russia, things are back to normal, everything is open, normal life has resumed, there are no C19 restrictions.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I mean I highly doubt that every other skater from every other country didn't take their masks off at some point during their flights or in their hotel rooms. :shuffle: Maybe even the :saint: Canadians and Americans.
Yeah, and there is already evidence of other countries taking photos without their masks, eating in airports, etc but we will never hear about those stories because it’s all about Russia hate and anyone who points out the selective viewing is just so mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information