Chinese skating news & social media updates pt. 5, 2023 onwards

raruki

The Haotai girls should really work on their landings asap, It is really hurting their flow of the jumps and GOE, and making it hard for them to obtain a harder combo in the future.

otisgear

JGP Gdansk entries: https://results.isu.org/events/fsevent00117407.htm

Yudong Chen (sub: Zhiao Jiang); Shiqi Gao, Yihan Wang (Beijing); Wenning Shi / Zhiyu Wang, Yixi Yang / Shunyang Deng; Xinyi Yu / Tianyi Liu (sub: Yufei Lin / Zijian Gao)

So Yunjie Wang / Helin Liu are the pairs team with only 1 assignment...
Phew, best case scenario for pairs tbh... not a huge miss because I really don't see Wang/Liu making JGPF anyway (more exposure and experience would always be nice but if 1 team had to miss out I'm glad it's not the other two)

raruki

Tian got a marvelous performance today!
Love everything about the performance, his body extensions, arms movements and the edge control are just so pleasing to watch. Love the fact that the new generation of Chinese single skaters have the solid foundation of skating and presentation.

Last edited:

On My Own

I'll just repeat myself that Ruiyang has the best presentation of all Chinese women for me this season... She needs more power across the ice and is not as confident as the senior women, but the rest of it is better in my book.

raruki

Feel bad for Li/Wang, they were infected with COVID right before they went to Austria and couldn't deliver everything they had in the competitions.

Give Tian an international choreographer next season, Team Jilin!

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Feel bad for Li/Wang, they were infected with COVID right before they went to Austria and couldn't deliver everything they had in the competitions.

Give Tian an international choreographer next season, Team Jilin!
Li is fabulous. He might be too, but I couldn't keep my eyes off of her.

zebobes

I noticed that Tonghe doesn't have a second assignment yet on the JGP. Is the Chinese federation going to send their skaters to more than one JGP this year? He's just on the cusp of being good enough to make the JGPF, it would be a pity if he only goes to one this year.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
I noticed that Tonghe doesn't have a second assignment yet on the JGP. Is the Chinese federation going to send their skaters to more than one JGP this year? He's just on the cusp of being good enough to make the JGPF, it would be a pity if he only goes to one this year.

Among junior men skaters, Yudong Chen gets 2 JGP assignments (Budapest, Gdansk), other three skaters gets one each: Wenbao Han (Bangkok), Tonghe Tian (Linz), Zhiao Jiang (Osaka). CFSA threw the spot at Istanbul away.

Given that Tonghe did very well at Linz I guess there's a possibility he may replace Zhiao at Osaka.

Gris

不做奴才做公民

CFSA won't send a delegation to Istanbul (or Yerevan). JGP Istanbul is at the same time as the Inter-club League Final and that seems to be the most obvious answer - the rest, who knows.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Anyway, here is the Jr. and Sr. entry list of the Inter-club League Final:

Junior and Senior entries of Inter-club League Final (Sept. 6-10):

Senior Men: He Zhang, Jian Gao, Wenbao Han, Bofeng Wang, Juwen Xu, Zhiming Peng

Junior Men: Ziyi Li, Yihe Sun, Yingrui Li, Yihan Ren, Zexuan Wang, Tonghe Tian

Senior Women: Xizi Wang, Shiqi Gao, Shuxian Jin, Wandi Xu, Yihan Wang (Harbin), Ariel Guo (HKG)

Junior Women: Shiqi Gao, Wandi Xu, Ruiyang Zhang, Yihan Wang (Beijing), Xuanyu Liu, Jiaxin Shi

Senior Pairs: Youmei Sun / Ze'en Li, Yuchen Wang / Lei Zhu, Yiqing Zhang / Yongzheng Chen, Jiahui Lu / Yunpeng Shi, Ye Jia / Tianyang Zhang, Ziyang Lin / Enci Lin

Senior Dance: Zixi Xiao / Linghao He, Shang Shi / Nan Wu, Xizi Chen / Jianing Xing, Lingxuan Meng / Lang Chen, Shiyue Wang / Xinyu Liu, Xinyi Yu / Tianyi Liu

Junior Dance: Xin'ai Ding / Hanchong Zheng, Xintong Qu / Zhihong Liu, Junqi Zhao / Haoran Cui, Yuxi Gao / Suyang Li, Yufei Lin / Zijian Gao

On My Own

Anyway, here is the Jr. and Sr. entry list of the Inter-club League Final:
But like this doesn't make any sense though. Put Yudong into Istanbul instead of Budapest, and let Tonghe have Budapest. I hope I'm just not clear on the rules and am getting confused as a result, because this seems piss poor planning otherwise, knowing full well Yudong won't be at the club league finals...

Also why is Zhang He back 😭 😭 and why isn't David at these. Nothing makes any sense.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
But like this doesn't make any sense though. Put Yudong into Istanbul instead of Budapest, and let Tonghe have Budapest. I hope I'm just not clear on the rules and am getting confused as a result, because this seems piss poor planning otherwise, knowing full well Yudong won't be at the club league finals...

Also why is Zhang He back 😭 😭 and why isn't David at these. Nothing makes any sense.

It's not about who will show up at the Inter-club League Final or who won't - some pages back I posted CFSA's JGP selection & assignment plan (published in June) and it didn't include Istanbul & Yerevan. Like they didn't plan to send anyone there to begin with.

On My Own

It's not about who will show up at the Inter-club League Final or who won't - some pages back I posted CFSA's JGP selection & assignment plan (published in June) and it didn't include Istanbul & Yerevan. Like they didn't plan to send anyone there to begin with.
I saw that back then, I'm just not sure what the thinking behind it is. Why did they not decide to at least hold the spots and wait till they saw who planned on competing at the club league... IDK. But maybe I don't know the JGP rules. They only chose 5 JGPs for men, when they have 6 events eligible with one entry each. Which makes no sense as to why, and I'm not sure I buy the club league as the reason.

Karen-W

Is that a coup happening behind that blue curtain?

Among junior men skaters, Yudong Chen gets 2 JGP assignments (Budapest, Gdansk), other three skaters gets one each: Wenbao Han (Bangkok), Tonghe Tian (Linz), Zhiao Jiang (Osaka). CFSA threw the spot at Istanbul away.

Given that Tonghe did very well at Linz I guess there's a possibility he may replace Zhiao at Osaka.

?? Why??

Well I hope not. I mean sure it would be good to have Tian potentially at the JGPF, but it would suck.
Oh, lordy... Even with junior men being all over the place with their consistency, the chances of Tian making the JGPF with a 4th at his first event are pretty remote - and giving him Zhiao's spot in Osaka won't change that reality since the win there is Nakamura's to lose.

On My Own

Oh, lordy... Even with junior men being all over the place with their consistency, the chances of Tian making the JGPF with a 4th at his first event are pretty remote - and giving him Zhiao's spot in Osaka won't change that reality since the win there is Nakamura's to lose.
Actually, I'm glad you came in so that I can continue my rant. Even if we accept that JGP Istanbul didn't happen because of the Club League Final reason, they could still have sent somebody to Yerevan!

Karen-W

Actually, I'm glad you came in so that I can continue my rant. Even if we accept that JGP Istanbul didn't happen because of the Club League Final reason, they could still have sent somebody to Yerevan!
Well, true, but Nakamura is also assigned to Yerevan, ;).

On My Own

China don't have a male spot in Yerevan. They were entitled of 1 in 6 events. The event without China was Yerevan.
Then why didn't/couldn't they choose Yerevan for men to begin with? If the club league finals were clashing with Istanbul, then this is what they should have done...

They only chose 5 for men and women, even if they were entitled to 6 and 7 respectively.

Karen-W

Then why didn't/couldn't they choose Yerevan for men to begin with? If the club league finals were clashing with Istanbul, then this is what they should have done...

They only chose 5 for men and women, even if they were entitled to 6 and 7 respectively.
The country doesn't get to pick which 6 events, the ISU assigns them.

raruki

Interclub league is somewhat important though because it is associated with the domestic ranking points, which can give the domestic skaters some benefits in some domestic competitions, especially during the NWG season, although it does nothing to the qualifiers of NWG (Chinese state-run sports system treats NWG as a more important competition than any international competitions in most of the sports). What's more, not all skaters can compete in international competitions because of their technical levels, limited budget, and limited quotas for international events, and they somehow need to make a living by attending these events.

Yes. There are only two junior women spots for China (no dance spots either and the Yerevan event has no pairs) so I suspect CFSA thinks it's "not worth it" to "only" send two girls there.
I agree with Gris, Any sports management in China is always so lazy that they always try to pack everyone and send them to attend the same event because it is easy for them to save some money and manage their athletes.

otisgear

But it seems like the Interclub league final isn't that important after all since it has no weighting on any other competitions or qualifications (like NWG...). Most of the top skaters aren't even bothering with it. The senior pairs line-up is subbed all the way to the last placed team with a total score of 56...

I'm guessing they didn't want to send people to Yerevan and Istanbul because there would be just too few people? As mentioned for Yerevan they only have 2 women spots, for Istanbul they have 2 women, 1 man and 2 pairs, but they had to drop pairs spots somewhere anyway so that's the one to go... I guess 3 people isn't enough to be 'worth the investment' for the fed?

jlai

Question everything
From the perspective of a populous country with a not very large budget, i can see why they would want to save money by sending folks together. That being said, the motives can go from very innocent to very nonsensical and stupid, and I don't have inside knowledge

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information