Canadian Pairs 2019/2020 Season News and Updates

Vase

I don’t think KellyAnn has yet to do any triple jumps.
Brandon and Brooke both have triple jumps, but this season they never competed with them last season they were unsuccessful in landing them side by side in pairs, yet they both could land in singles. They had the other elements and advantage from the other teams I thought they should’ve took the risk and done the triples. But it was also Brooke that had a few jump errors this season. So yes they had consistency at the end of the season but they also had an advantage of international experience and longevity as a team.
I feel with these young junior girls, so much to learn, Brooke being the ‘veteran’ with her partner for so many seasons, they’ve had time to grow for many seasons.
Though I’m not sure all other pairs full career. It was said Patricia split from her last partner after nationals last year and didn’t start skating pairs again until the end of May when she joined with Zac. Her coach seems to realize it’s a long term marathon, not a sprint.
In their time together I’m impressed with their progress and they both have performance qualities that not all pair skaters have.
The progress of KellyAnn have impressed me and I’m excited to watch her develop more triples and triple throw in the program.

shutterbug

Dylan Moscovitch is Skate Ontario's Skater in Residence for February. His 1st blog: https://skateontario.org/skater-in-residence-blog-dylan-moscovitch/
After a tragic attempt at finishing my career on a high note at 4 Continents, which in hindsight was a poor choice, I returned home mentally, emotionally and physically broken. This was one of the darkest and hardest times in my life. Everything I had learned in my career was now being put to the test as I had to pick up the pieces and find my strength and resilience all the while navigating the world as (what felt like) a newborn.
💔 (((Dylan)))

I also hold out hope for some of the up and coming junior pairs to try to raise the bar. Laurin and Ethier have a nice look and it seems like they can jump. There seems to be a shortage of solid jumpers in general amongst the junior pairs girls. Even the champions Patricia and Zach there remains a question regarding her triple jumps. They were pretty rare in her singles when she competed and while Zach can land them they haven’t been able to incorporate a triple jump or combo into their repertoire. Same applied to Brooke and Brandon. She had triple and triple combo but Brandon didn’t. Hopefully Brooke finds a partner who has the jumps to add to her triple throws.
McIntosh/Daleman FTW! :biggrinbo

Xsktrx

McIntosh/Daleman FTW! :biggrinbo
[/QUOTE]
Ha! Do you know something we don’t or are you thinking/wishing outloud? Interesting proposition for sure. Of course Patricia and upcoming Jr Worlds may have other thoughts.lol. Wonder if Brooke has had any tryouts or has any lined up?

Vase

Switching up pair girls consistently could be what we see, maybe wait they have reached their full growth to actually decide on what is the team with Star quality. Just like attempting quads, there’s more to skating then jumps.
These girls all have just began their career. growth, happiness and injury are all part of the process. Longevity, look at Brandon just walked away before Worlds.
I will enjoy the development for the next couple years.
Kirsten is many years older but I’m sure when she was 14 her competition field looked much different. I don’t think we have a junior pair girl with the whole package, just yet. Let’s see the development this coming season and in the future, there’s KellyAnn coming out of Novice doing well in Junior. Canada has lots more to offer.
And if some of these single guys like Nadeau decide to switch to pairs I’m sure we have a whole different field.

shutterbug

Ha! Do you know something we don’t or are you thinking/wishing outloud? Interesting proposition for sure. Of course Patricia and upcoming Jr Worlds may have other thoughts.lol. Wonder if Brooke has had any tryouts or has any lined up?
:lol: Totally thinking out loud. But, Brooke has a number of different triple jumps and IIRC Zach does too, so they could be an interesting match.....

Sk8mom123

It will be interesting to see how all of these girls grow. Would be nice for Choinard to find a partner as well. She’s taller but not more than Evelyn and at 17 is likely done growing. It’s exciting times for these ladies and pairs in general. Lots of talent just a matter of the right matches :)
:lol: Totally thinking out loud. But, Brooke has a number of different triple jumps and IIRC Zach does too, so they could be an interesting match.....

Vase

Yes even Evelyn if she’s too tall for Trennt in some opinions there’s taller pair guys out there.

Vase

Gabriel the other taller junior pair guy, with triples and big twist, still quite young. I know he’s with Carle but if he’s looking for a more experienced pair girl.

Vase

IMO, All the girls have strengths, but Choinard is older and I’m sure has an overall maturity that young developing teens are waiting for.
So for them, it’s all a process on what works for the athletes coaches and families. Then I’m sure Skate Canada has a say of what they want to see develop, maybe be minimal but they do give financial support to the juniors.
I’m sure the NectGen camp will show who skate Canada is watching.
But now, I’m gonna cheer all our juniors and seniors for Worlds, and hope all these kids reach their potential

Japanfan

It’s like when our women know skaters from Russia, Japan and US are doing triple axels and quads yet there seems to be a sense of contentment with regular triples here. If some of our women are working on quads or triple axels I stand corrected.

I wonder about that, too. Perhaps the older girls and ladies don't feel up to task of training those jumps, and coaches are not confident in knowing how to train the jumps. Though that doesn't quite make sense, as both coaches and skaters can learn new things. Or, maybe coaches are taking the long-term view that the jumps aren't going to sustainable in the long-term - though that doesn't really make sense, either.

And I would think younger ladies might be inspired to try out the jumps by seeing others do them.

So, IDK.

Vase

DUHAMEL/RADFORD done the quad throw. But others haven’t felt the need to attempt it.
Russians have multiple strong athletes to choose from, yet Alina pulls away from competing at 16yrs old.
Does over training them benefit? So many strong young athletes in the past don’t make it to senior ranks.
If it continues with the big jumps they definitely need to adjust the artistic score.
But I’ve spoke to athletes who train 3hrs a day and other train 6+, I’m talking teenagers, so of course development is gonna range in how fast it comes to each individual.
So comparing these young athletes, what they are doing now and a year from now are the unknown, so I will embrace the development highs and lows. They’ve made it this far and deserve the opportunity, especially that Canada has one veteran Pair team and working on rebuilding for 2022.

Vase

The new scoring system doesn't reward the quad throws.
Thanks for updating me, though that’s interesting how they can choose to apply that rule.
I’m not Against it, I’m not a big quad fan, I love how pairs can incorporate the tricks and still have the artistry. It’s tough watching when the athlete is so focused on the elements and don’t hear the music.

Colonel Green

I wonder about that, too. Perhaps the older girls and ladies don't feel up to task of training those jumps, and coaches are not confident in knowing how to train the jumps. Though that doesn't quite make sense, as both coaches and skaters can learn new things. Or, maybe coaches are taking the long-term view that the jumps aren't going to sustainable in the long-term - though that doesn't really make sense, either.

And I would think younger ladies might be inspired to try out the jumps by seeing others do them.

So, IDK.
It's not a question of being "content" with triples. Learning jumps is progressive; since our ladies generally don't reach the stage of a reliable standard triples layout, they don't get to the point of moving further. There's little point starting to train a triple Axel or a quad when you're struggling to do a triple Lutz or don't have a triple-triple combination.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
One problem I've felt historically with Canadian pairs, is as a group, they're only about as good as the leader. In the leaner years between the S&P's, D&D's, D&R's, that means looking at skaters like the Wirtzes for who to beat, or other solidly top-10 but barely type teams. I am continually impressed that MT&M keep pushing forward, not just for themselves, but to keep setting a higher bar for the teams coming up. I'd be pleased as punch if they could win a world medal eventually, but odds are getting longer. I think Kirsten & Mike have been great at taking advantage of opportunities by skating well-enough (Ie, 2018 Olympic spot), and they really aren't doing that this year. :(

Anyways, can we hire Trankov to coach part time in Ontario? A few weeks with W&M to get such an impressive twist-- imagine what else he could do? :p And with other teams? I love it when I'm wrong about skaters-- I was super underwelmed by Evelyn & Trent last year & at the start of this season. I'm completely won over now. :)

Anyone else think a coaching change for I&B wouldn't be a bad idea? I think they've got all the goods and need a better team than Gautier-- and I'm generally a "send them to Richard" kind of girl, so understand that is not a critique....

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Anyone else think a coaching change for I&B wouldn't be a bad idea? I think they've got all the goods and need a better team than Gautier-- and I'm generally a "send them to Richard" kind of girl, so understand that is not a critique....
I don't see why they would. Gauthier is as good a pair coach as you'll find in North America, and they had a very successful fall season; nationals and 4CC have been a curious and as yet unexplained bump in the road.

wickedwitch

I don't see why they would. Gauthier is as good a pair coach as you'll find in North America, and they had a very successful fall season; nationals and 4CC have been a curious and as yet unexplained bump in the road.
Agreed. If they don't want to move across the ocean, there's literally nobody better.

Andora

It's not so much better as better fit, but it's true there's no one in Canada for them better.

fsfann

I don't think a coaching change would make a lick of difference. We all know that Lubov has always struggled with jumps. The throws were something that has surprised me recently with this team, but I suspect with more practice, that will come... But her triple jumps have always been a struggle, and I don't think any coaching change will make them improve... Sadly, I don't expect this team will get the results that Charlie had hoped for when he ditched Julianne....

aftershocks

Banned Member
I think Kirsten & Mike have been great at taking advantage of opportunities by skating well-enough (Ie, 2018 Olympic spot), and they really aren't doing that this year. :(

Huh? Simply because Kirsten & Michael had miscues at GPF and problems in the fp at 4CCs, does not mean they haven't skated well this season!

Katta

I agree, but I'm not sure who they should go to.....and I would assume that Charlie being a newly wed, would prefer to stay in Quebec. BUT if they would go, how about Bryce Davison?
Others above questioned the throws and i agree with those who said that it's "just a blip". I wonder if Luibov is/was injured since I cannot recall her doubling throws before??

Andora

I agree, but I'm not sure who they should go to.....and I would assume that Charlie being a newly wed, would prefer to stay in Quebec. BUT if they would go, how about Bryce Davison?
Others above questioned the throws and i agree with those who said that it's "just a blip". I wonder if Luibov is/was injured since I cannot recall her doubling throws before??

Good consideration to validate her throw issues being just a blip. Canadians is not an easy competition-- she didn't fare well the last time around, for example. Following up at 4CC's might have been too much to ask, and it's best to learn from these situations early.

I agree, I can't really see anyone in Canada. Maybe Marina at her facility? Added bonus of some training near T&M. I can't believe I'm suggesting it either, honestly, and it's just can-kicking. They really are in a great spot, just from an outsider's vantage point.

Xsktrx

For pairs coaching in Ontario I wouldn’t rule out Alison Purkiss and Andrew Evans. Their collaboration this year has yielded some impressive results. Evelyn & Trent (2nd in Sr at nationals and much improved). Patricia & Zach (1st in Jr at nationals in their first season together). Brooke & Brandon junior (4th Youth Olympic games and likely 2nd or maybe even first had they gone to nationals) and Lily & Aiden first in novice. Pretty respectable showing. Also Alison I believe worked with Mike and Kirsten this year as well.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ :unsure:
Luba/Charlie are not going to solicit Purkiss and Evans as new coaches, NOT with Purkiss coaching direct rivals Walsh/Micheau, and also giving tips to M-T/M.

In any case, this is only L&C's first season, and hitting stumbling blocks in the latter half of the season does not warrant dropping a top coach. They need to be looking more at what their problems are as a team, with the guidance and input of Gauthier, et al.

For pairs coaching in Ontario I wouldn’t rule out Alison Purkiss and Andrew Evans.

For pairs coaching generally, sure. But it doesn't automatically make Purkiss/Evans the go-to pairs coaches for everyone, particularly not for Luba/Charlie.

Last edited:

Canada33

For pairs coaching in Ontario I wouldn’t rule out Alison Purkiss and Andrew Evans. Their collaboration this year has yielded some impressive results. Evelyn & Trent (2nd in Sr at nationals and much improved). Patricia & Zach (1st in Jr at nationals in their first season together). Brooke & Brandon junior (4th Youth Olympic games and likely 2nd or maybe even first had they gone to nationals) and Lily & Aiden first in novice. Pretty respectable showing. Also Alison I believe worked with Mike and Kirsten this year as well.
Agree - by far best results all around for novice/junior/senior pairs. Will be interesting to see if any of Marcotte’s teams make the move from Oakville to Evans/Purkiss part of town.....

aftershocks

Banned Member
Agree - by far best results all around for novice/junior/senior pairs. Will be interesting to see if any of Marcotte’s teams make the move from Oakville to Evans/Purkiss part of town.....

Apparently, the Marcottes are in some respects collaborating with Purkiss/Evans. So I don't see these respective coaching crews necessarily vying for teams if they are trying to work together to boost the Canadian pairs discipline.

Canada33

Apparently, the Marcottes are in some respects collaborating with Purkiss/Evans. So I don't see these respective coaching crews necessarily vying for teams if they are trying to work together to boost the Canadian pairs discipline.
Sounds like there are different sources of information - but I guess we shall see.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Sounds like there are different sources of information - but I guess we shall see.

IOW, if a collaborative arrangement is in existence, as it appears to be, I wouldn't expect any knock-down, drag-out fight over pairs teams. There is such a thing as getting along and mutually agreeing to what works best for various pairs, and/or listening to the wishes of pairs who wish to make a switch, for whatever reason.

Indeed, we shall see. :watch:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information