Callaghan suspended over sexual abuse allegations

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

Barbara Manatee

Documents obtained by ABC News, amid an ongoing investigation of sexual misconduct claims in figure skating, indicate that the association took no disciplinary action following detailed allegations of abuse against Callaghan levied by several of his former students, citing skating bylaws stipulating that alleged violations be reported within 60 days.
A sixty day statute of limitations is outrageous. If that is still a USFS regulation, it should be eliminated right away.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Is it a matter of time before the media try to get to Todd (and who would be surprised if someone doesn't already have a story in development waiting for confirmation)?

The rumors regarding Callaghan and Todd's involvement beyond coach/student were floated here and on other skating boards years ago.

Mayra

What a slap in the face to all those who have accused him throughout the years. Someone must have whispered in their ears about the many skeletons in their closet and they decided to bring them out into the open themselves. How convenient. :rolleyes:

Reality is US Figure Skating is as complicit as USA Gymnastics in covering up sexual abuse allegations, and I hope they get dragged to hell and back for it. This is ridiculously long overdue. My only hope is that nobody else has been victimized in the time since the allegations surfaced due to US Figure Skating's cover up and inaction.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

newbatgirl

So, the US federations under investigation right now are USA Gymnastics, USA Swimming and USA Taekwondo. (Did I miss any?)

From the comments above, I guess most people here think that USFS is trying to air their transgressions before Congress comes for them? You're likely right but I personally think that this makes them look worse because it shows they knew that they mishandled it in the first place.

At this point, I think the entire USOC structure needs blowing up.

newbatgirl

Looked up the USFS Rulebook, available here: http://www.usfsa.org/content/2017-18 Rulebook.pdf

From pages 17 to 19:

Section 3 Grievance and Disciplinary Proceedings. All grievance and disciplinary procedures must be filed and resolved pursuant to the procedures outlined in this section and in the Grievance Committee Rules and Ethics Committee Rules. The forms and instructions for filing a grievance are available from U.S. Figure Skating headquarters upon request of a member or member club.

A. Grievance Proceedings (Except for matters subject to the jurisdiction of the United States Center for Safe Sport under Section 4 of this article):

(i) Scope:
(a) Any U.S. Figure Skating member or member club aggrieved or harmed by the alleged violation of a U.S. Figure Skating bylaw or rule by any other U.S. Figure Skating member or member club may bring a grievance citing the alleged violation of the U.S. Figure Skating bylaw or rule.
(b) The member or member club must be a member in good standing both at the time the grievance is filed and at the time of the alleged violation of the U.S. Figure Skating bylaw or rule.
(c) Such grievance must include the allegation that violation of a specific U.S. Figure Skating bylaw or rule caused harm to the Grievant.

(ii) Time period: A grievance must be filed:
(a) Within 60 days of the occurrence of the alleged violation, or
(b) Within 60 days of the discovery of the alleged violation, or
(c) In the case of a minor, within 60 days after the minor’s 18th birthday, whichever is later."

Section 4 Safe Sport – Sexual Abuse or Misconduct.
The investigation and adjudication of matters involving allegations or reports of sexual abuse or misconduct, or other violations of U.S. Figure Skating’s SafeSport Policies that involve prohibited conduct that is reasonably related to and accompanies an alleged violation involving sexualized behavior (see, GR 1.03, U.S. Figure Skating Policy Statement on Harassment and Abuse, and the current edition of the U.S. Figure Skating SafeSport Program Handbook) are subject to the jurisdiction of the United States Center for Safe Sport (“USCSS”) in accordance with the requirements of the USOC and as set forth in the USCSS Bylaws or other USCSS governing documents. Rules and procedures to be followed by U.S. Figure Skating and its members and member clubs in dealing with allegations or reports 19 of sexual abuse or misconduct, or other violations of U.S. Figure Skating’s SafeSport Policies that fall within the jurisdiction of the USCSS, and the enforcement of discipline or other sanctions issued by the USCSS, are set forth in the applicable SafeSport policies and disciplinary procedures of the USCSS, GR 1.03 and/or other rules of U.S. Figure Skating

So it looks like the 60 day thing may have been their old policy and now everyone is under SafeSport guidelines. But we know that is not infallible either given the ongoing issues as USAGym, USASwim, etc.

*ETA the link the USFS SafeSport Handbook: http://www.usfsa.org/content/safesport handbook.pdf

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@newbatgirl Thanks for posting this - it's very useful.

I am somewhat confused, though, by the last part (Section 4). As I read this, it seems that complaints by "aggrieved or harmed" members are dealt with under the grievance procedures, and complaints involving "sexualized behaviour" are dealt with according to SafeSport policies. But I wonder why USFS hasn't rewritten its policies to reflect what SafeSport requires.

At the very least this is confusing to USFS members who might want to file a complaint. "Sexualized behaviour" is often hard to distinguish from "aggrieved and harmful" behaviour, so how is a member to know which policy applies?

newbatgirl

@newbatgirl Thanks for posting this - it's very useful.

I am somewhat confused, though, by the last part (Section 4). As I read this, it seems that complaints by "aggrieved or harmed" members are dealt with under the grievance procedures, and complaints involving "sexualized behaviour" are dealt with according to SafeSport policies. But I wonder why USFS hasn't rewritten its policies to reflect what SafeSport requires.

At the very least this is confusing to USFS members who might want to file a complaint. "Sexualized behaviour" is often hard to distinguish from "aggrieved and harmful" behaviour, so how is a member to know which policy applies?

@overedge: There's a separate SafeSport Handbook, which I added the link to above. Pages 9 to 11 of that handbook offer some guidelines on the definition of "sexualized behaviors."

I'm really not sure why these are separate documents. Doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
What a slap in the face to all those who have accused him throughout the years. Someone must have whispered in their ears about the many skeletons in their closet and they decided to bring them out into the open themselves. How convenient. :rolleyes:

Reality is US Figure Skating is as complicit as USA Gymnastics in covering up sexual abuse allegations, and I hope they get dragged to hell and back for it. This is ridiculously long overdue. My only hope is that nobody else has been victimized in the time since the allegations surfaced due to US Figure Skating's cover up and inaction.

And add that right in with the Catholic Church. It is endemic.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It's because amending by-laws is hard. It's much easier to add a line that says "go see this entire new document". :D

(I am serious though. I've been involved in changing by-laws for many orgs including having voted on by-law changes by USFS. It's hard.)

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
It's because amending by-laws is hard. It's much easier to add a line that says "go see this entire new document". :D

(I am serious though. I've been involved in changing by-laws for many orgs including having voted on by-law changes by USFS. It's hard.)

Quite right. As someone who has also just shepherded amending bylaws through a large organization, it is much easier to alter the separate document as well. So if “SafeSport” changes, expands or whatever its understanding of sexualized conduct, it is then reflected in the bylaws.

And someone doesn’t have to go through and redline the whole :angryfire document again.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
From the comments above, I guess most people here think that USFS is trying to air their transgressions before Congress comes for them? You're likely right but I personally think that this makes them look worse because it shows they knew that they mishandled it in the first place.

At this point, I think the entire USOC structure needs blowing up.

To me, it doesn't sound like USFS is trying to get things into the open *before* someone comes for them. Instead, it sounds like someone already, and very recently, came for them, and they decided they'd better do something.

Based on the article from ABC (linked in the original post), ABC (or another news organization) contacted USFS as part of an investigation with plans to publish a story based on that investigation. It's normal that news organizations reach out to those involved before they publish, asking for comment. And at that point, USFS said, "Oh, shit" and suspended Callaghan before the investigative news story was going to be published. That's from this, from the ABC article:

The suspension was announced as U.S. Figure Skating was made aware of new interest in those earlier allegations. Documents obtained by ABC News, amid an ongoing investigation of sexual misconduct claims in figure skating...

My assumption, therefore, is that ABC or another news organization has a news story that is going to follow these initial reports about Callaghan's suspension.

soogar

Is it a matter of time before the media try to get to Todd (and who would be surprised if someone doesn't already have a story in development waiting for confirmation)?

The rumors regarding Callaghan and Todd's involvement beyond coach/student were floated here and on other skating boards years ago.

Todd mentioned that in an interview with TSL. He said [paraphrase] that people were saying weird things about him. There was a lot of publicity around this years ago because this came out just after his work with Tara. If I am not mistaken, I believe that she continued to be coached by Craig Maurizi.

Not sure why this is all of a sudden a thing. Why wasn't there a lawsuit filed in 1999 against the USFSA when all this came to light. It was a big deal.

Debbie S

I wonder what other sexual misconduct claims in figure skating ABC (or other news outlet) is investigating. Or, USFS could be subject to an investigation by USOC/SafeSport (maybe they are looking at all NGBs) and ABC is hot on the trail.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
FYI this is the news story from 1999 that publicized the earlier allegations against Callaghan.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/04/11/s...ng-coach-is-accused-of-sexual-misconduct.html

ETA: from @GarrAarghHrumph
My assumption, therefore, is that ABC or another news organization has a news story that is going to follow these initial reports about Callaghan's suspension.

Since the ABC story quotes Craig Maurizi as consulting with lawyers, I would guess that's exactly what's going to happen.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

@overedge: There's a separate SafeSport Handbook, which I added the link to above. Pages 9 to 11 of that handbook offer some guidelines on the definition of "sexualized behaviors."
Thank you, very interesting pages (10 to 11). Some of it is over-reach... pinching, tagging, horsing around, giving gifts, talking about personal issues related to sexual issues... that's one gray area. I am waiting for "all this" to reach the "sexist" issues.. for example if a female trainer helps her female skater with a bra, fixes her hair, gives her a massage, do we need to check if what the trainer's sexual preferences are?

soogar

I'm going to just add that in his interview, Todd sounded kind of embarrassed to talk about the allegations [my opinion] and said [paraphrasing] that after this blow up and speculation things went to "normal" and he still sees Craig at events. It sounded weird at the time because he was his assistant coach and everyone was asking about Todd.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Todd mentioned that in an interview with TSL. He said [paraphrase] that people were saying weird things about him. There was a lot of publicity around this years ago because this came out just after his work with Tara. If I am not mistaken, I believe that she continued to be coached by Craig Maurizi.

Not sure why this is all of a sudden a thing. Why wasn't there a lawsuit filed in 1999 against the USFSA when all this came to light. It was a big deal.

USFS dismissed the grievance because in their view it was not filed within the required time period after the events (60 days after as described above). Perhaps Maurizi did not file a lawsuit because he didn't have the resources to pursue a court case, and since Callaghan was a very powerful person in skating at the time, who knows if Maurizi would have been able to get enough people to testify in support of his case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information