Callaghan suspended over sexual abuse allegations

Twizzler

I first heard rumors about Callaghan way back in 1993 circa the old Prodigy skating board. None of it was new then. It was just new to me because I'd never been on the Internet before then. But as soon as I signed up, there it was.

Yes. And if you are seeing anything on FB right now, the comments are: finally, it’s about time, I can’t believe it took this long, etc. Not one person has voiced shock or surprise. Seems it’s the “secret” that everyone has known for decades.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I have no knowledge other than what has been printed.

The complainant in this case alleged sexual contact as a minor. That is a crime and although we did not have mandatory reporting back in the day, should have been reported. Depending on the state, that could be criminal activity.

He then said he had what sounded like a consensual affair when he reached 18. That is a serious breach of ethics for someone currently coaching the individual, which should be dealt with, swiftly and immediately, but is not criminal.

Do we know if the additional claims are of contact with minors or with adults?

Makes me shudder either way...:eek:

Willin

TBH I wonder how much of this is because the coach is good or at the very least had Tara - many good coaches in many sports have bad behavior excused, and I'd be shocked if USFSA wasn't willing to do that. I also wonder how much of it was homophobia in USFSA's leadership. Maybe USFSA knew about it but refused to accept that the coach was gay - and therefore he couldn't be doing anything like this.

It seems USFSA had no problem banning other coaches for sexual misconduct, so I have no idea why this was overlooked.

Thank you, very interesting pages (10 to 11). Some of it is over-reach... pinching, tagging, horsing around, giving gifts, talking about personal issues related to sexual issues... that's one gray area. I am waiting for "all this" to reach the "sexist" issues.. for example if a female trainer helps her female skater with a bra, fixes her hair, gives her a massage, do we need to check if what the trainer's sexual preferences are?
You're missing the point - it's all about consent. Giving gifts is fine. Giving gifts as a method of grooming (as Nassar did) or when the gifts are unwarranted or unwelcome is not fine. Talking about sexual issues is fine if the skater broaches the topic, but the coach should never be the one to start that conversation. Some older coaches use pinching in coaching in a non-sexual way - but you should never pinch a butt. Sexual or play (ie. racing around the rink), a coach shouldn't be horsing around, as it could injure their skater. All of this sounds like common sense.

As for the trainer - it's context. My coaches helped us with bras all the time and it wasn't creepy - it was part of the business and there were always other around. Coaches - male and female - all help with hair if it's necessary for the skater. If the skater asks for a massage and the trainer is qualified to give one, it's fine to give a massage. If they want to be really careful, they should ensure that there's someone else in the room (which, at a competition, there usually is).

MacMadame

Doing all the things
He then said he had what sounded like a consensual affair when he reached 18. That is a serious breach of ethics for someone currently coaching the individual, which should be dealt with, swiftly and immediately, but is not criminal.
It depends on where you live. There are states where the difference in age and/or the relationship (coach-to-student) combined with the age would make it criminal.

It seems USFSA had no problem banning other coaches for sexual misconduct, so I have no idea why this was overlooked.
Before or after they amended their by-laws.

I was pretty incensed at the time with the decision and USFS got a lot of flack for it. But I can see where they decided they would get sued and lose if they went against their by-laws. Because let's be honest, if they went against their bylaws and Callaghan sued them, they would lose.

Willin

@MacMadame Well, even if they got sued by him, it would've been better PR-wise if they banned him anyways. For him, suing them would also look bad for him, as it would imply to parents that he was guilty.

I don't know when the policy has changed, but many have been banned. Gordon Mckellen in 2001, Mark Mandina in 2011, David Lowery in 2003, David Loncar in 2010, Joseph Maro in 2005 (?), etc. etc.

DreamSkates

Is it a matter of time before the media try to get to Todd (and who would be surprised if someone doesn't already have a story in development waiting for confirmation)?

The rumors regarding Callaghan and Todd's involvement beyond coach/student were floated here and on other skating boards years ago.
Developing a story based on fact is one thing. Based on conjecture or claims with no evidence is another.

Rumors floating on discussion boards with no real evidence to support claims ends up sparking a flame that shouldn't exist. Let's be careful as fans, not to buy into drama and possibly mar someone's reputation without solid evidence about an immoral behavior.

Speculating and spreading false information based on guesses or assumptions, is not going to help our beloved sport. Let's wait and see what the investigations find.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
USFS dismissed at least one of the 1999 allegations on a technicality, rather than investigating multiple allegations of similar behavior across several years (see NYTimes article linked above). I think this situation is more than "guesses and assumptions", particularly as female skaters have also talked about questionable behaviour from Callaghan - not sexual, but things like showing up at their homes unannounced.

Mayra

I was pretty incensed at the time with the decision and USFS got a lot of flack for it. But I can see where they decided they would get sued and lose if they went against their by-laws. Because let's be honest, if they went against their bylaws and Callaghan sued them, they would lose.

I guess it was and is too much to hope that US Figure skating would put the safety and integrity of their athletes first(a large portion of which are underage children and teens), vs. protecting their own ass.

Isn't this the problem with all these sporting organizations? They're too busy protecting their own interests at the expense of the well being of their athletes. None of these organizations should get a pass for covering their own ass IMO.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I don't know when the policy has changed, but many have been banned. Gordon Mckellen in 2001, Mark Mandina in 2011, David Lowery in 2003, David Loncar in 2010, Joseph Maro in 2005 (?), etc. etc.
I am familiar with most of those cases and they either came after the rules were changed or the offences in quesiton were on-going so the 60 day limit was not an issue.

(Don't get me started on the 60 day limit though.)

I guess it was and is too much to hope that US Figure skating would put the safety and integrity of their athletes first(a large portion of which are underage children and teens), vs. protecting their own ass.
They were protecting the money. Which is used to promote skating. So it benefits them but it benefits their members, too.

I can see an organization not wanting to be sued. What I can't see is that organization not being on top of these sorts of issues and making sure that they are handled and not swept under the rug. I fault organizations that get reports and don't pass them up the chain, that discourage the victim from filing a formal complaint and otherwise turn a blind-eye to what is going on.

vesperholly

@newbatgirl Thanks for posting this - it's very useful.

I am somewhat confused, though, by the last part (Section 4). As I read this, it seems that complaints by "aggrieved or harmed" members are dealt with under the grievance procedures, and complaints involving "sexualized behaviour" are dealt with according to SafeSport policies. But I wonder why USFS hasn't rewritten its policies to reflect what SafeSport requires.

At the very least this is confusing to USFS members who might want to file a complaint. "Sexualized behaviour" is often hard to distinguish from "aggrieved and harmful" behaviour, so how is a member to know which policy applies?
There's a lot of drama in skating clubs and rinks that can result in grievances but not for sexualized behavior. If for example a USFS judge was bad-mouthing a coach, that coach could file a grievance with USFS for "aggrieved and harmful" behavior.

SafeSport complaint = pervs, USFS grievance = club/coach/officials drama

Bill Trenary

So, the US federations under investigation right now are USA Gymnastics, USA Swimming and USA Taekwondo. (Did I miss any?)

From the comments above, I guess most people here think that USFS is trying to air their transgressions before Congress comes for them? You're likely right but I personally think that this makes them look worse because it shows they knew that they mishandled it in the first place.

At this point, I think the entire USOC structure needs blowing up.

USA Volleyball should probably be too (along with the Amateur Athletic Union) for the ugly mess that is the Rick Butler saga.

I was shocked at how quickly this Callaghan story sort of disappeared and no one seemed to care.

Mayra

They were protecting the money. Which is used to promote skating. So it benefits them but it benefits their members, too.

It benefits nobody to have an organization turn a blind eye to sexual abuse allegations for 20 years. Just like it's not going to benefit USA Gymnastics now as it is going to be washed, rinsed and squeezed dry of any penny they own after Raisman and co are done with them.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@vesperholly Thanks, that makes sense. I was thinking of situations involving, say, actual or threatened sexual abuse and then that being used as a reason for verbal gossiping or bullying. IMO each would fall under a separate policy but would be difficult to resolve in isolation from each other.

Rafter

I was curious what Eldredge is doing now so I googled him and see that he has his own skating school in Florida and Callaghan is the COO of the rink. But now the link to Callaghan’s bio has been removed. It’s amazing how tied at the hip those two are.

I wonder what Totally Todd thinks of this news.

I can see the USFSA getting sued over this.

Sylvia

TBD
I was curious what Eldredge is doing now so I googled him and see that he has his own skating school in Florida
Eldredge and his wife coach in Dallas, Texas (Frisco and McKinney)--eta: according to what I found online. Callaghan originally was involved in the "Champions of America" skating school in Texas but returned to Florida a while ago, IIRC.

Last edited:

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Christine Brennan's latest article includes a new quote from Craig Maurizi.

*** Coach suspended nearly two decades after U.S. Figure Skating dismissed abuse allegations :
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...han-figure-skating-coach-suspended/410663002/
The suspensions by the two organizations are based on decades-old allegations that were brought to SafeSport’s attention Feb. 6 by Callaghan’s alleged victim, Craig Maurizi.

“I did it because it seemed like I had an opportunity to right a wrong,” Maurizi said in a Friday evening phone conversation. “Richard Callaghan should not have been coaching for many, many years and this was a chance to end his access to young skaters. The climate now is much different than it was 20 or so years ago and I felt there would be people who would listen to my story and focus on the facts rather than the political repercussions.”

Tinami Amori

You're missing the point - it's all about consent.
I absolutely accept "consent" as a condition for such rules. I don't get the impression that "consent" is enough. There are several clauses stating "influence of a mentor", which leaves an impression that for example a coach 35 years old is frowned upon if he dates his student who is 18 or 19.... because of age difference, and an assumption that student is too young to think for him/her-self, and too much influenced by coach's "authority status/role". If "consent" is the ONLY condition for legal-age parties then it is not an issue. But "moralizing" about the rest is wrong and no-one's business.

poths

Figure skating may not have a
'Nassar' type figure (please God), but the culture within the sport is potentially more damaging than gymnastics and more likely to facilitate abuse. The fact that someone like Morozov has, so openly, been allowed to have sexual relations with his teenage students and even marry one without recourse is telling in itself. Add to that, the fact that a litany of skaters have eating disorders (some life threatening) and the conveyor belt of young skaters (Eteri's camp) who are pushed to the absolute physical limits (2 quads!!) pre-puberty without consideration for their future well being. These are things we don't just condone, but celebrate.

I firmly believe that junior skaters should be protected more. Age limits are not enough, content should also be restricted. Allowing quads, before puberty, is inviting long term physical damage. It's facilitating this 'win at all costs' training method and makes it incredibly challenging for senior athletes to stay in the game. It's wrong.

Willin

I absolutely accept "consent" as a condition for such rules. I don't get the impression that "consent" is enough. There are several clauses stating "influence of a mentor", which leaves an impression that for example a coach 35 years old is frowned upon if he dates his student who is 18 or 19.... because of age difference, and an assumption that student is too young to think for him/her-self, and too much influenced by coach's "authority status/role". If "consent" is the ONLY condition for legal-age parties then it is not an issue. But "moralizing" about the rest is wrong and no-one's business.
That's also common sense, and is banned in many work settings: don't date or get romantically involved with or do anything romantic with someone lower/higher than you on the totem pole. Again, it's not that hard.

The coach should know not to proposition the student. If the student is the one to approach the coach, the coach should turn them down.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Figure skating may not have a
'Nassar' type figure (please God), but the culture within the sport is potentially more damaging than gymnastics and more likely to facilitate abuse.
I actually think they have pretty much the same culture. I also think gymnastics has more situations where adults are alone with children and that's not good. In skating, most of the training happens at the rink where there are other adults around, not just other kids.

But both sports have situations where athletes live with coaches away from their parents. Both sports have situations where coaches travel with athletes without much or any parental presence.

Also, there seems to be a lot more competing and training while injured in gymnastics. I think that's because there is a lot more breaking of things in gymnastics while both have a lot of overuse injuries. Okay, so maybe there is just as much in skating but instead of people training with broken arms, they are training with overuse injuries you can't see.

This is based on my experiences being involved in both worlds here in the West Coast of the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information