Callaghan suspended over sexual abuse allegations

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@RoseRed I get what you are saying, but IME athletes who have been involved in their sport very intensely, from when they were young, often don't have a good sense of what is an appropriate or inappropriate relationship. I don't mean that they're dumb, because often they're very smart, but they just haven't had the life experience outside of their sport that would give them that broader, more informed perspective.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Just an update: The link for "Champions of America," Todd Eldredge's rink, is no longer functioning.

Tinami Amori

Just on the subject of coaches dating students, I would say that the vast majority of the time it's not okay, but I wouldn't say never. And then sometimes when I wouldn't think it was wrong, I still think it's not necessarily the best idea, for the same reason that partners dating isn't always the best idea.
whether it is smart, productive, diverting from the training/study is another subject. and yes, in some cases it works or does not work, productive or not.... But it should NOT be a law "not to date" IF there are 2 adults of legal age (which is the original subject).

D

Deleted member 53443

In my opinion, there are men of any leadership position towards groups of young female athletes that uses the position to try to get, well, pretty young girls. That is inappropriate. It's sleazy and a skating director need to make sure that behaviour is not going on at the rink.

On the other hand, it's not impossible that a young girl of adult age is attracted more to her fit, handsome 30-something coach, than to guys her own age. It's really not a crazy thought, and if there is mutual interest I really don't have a problem with it.

In fact, I have seen some weird stuff the other way around, as girls get attracted and a bit infatuated with their coach, and when the coach is just talking with them for five minutes after lesson is over, they read stuff into it. Later, when it turns out the coach is happily married and not interested, they get mad and it can get pretty testy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tavi

I am sorry you had this experience. But your story did not help me. I clearly stated "no coercion", "respecting when one says no" and described a situation when "it is the student/employee who is interested in relationship with the teacher/boss" (in reply to a comment that if a student is interested in teacher, the teacher should say no anyway even if interested him/herself). I don't think there should be any rules when 2 consenting adults are MUTUALLY interested in a relationship or sex or something in the middle, an affair for the time being.

Perhaps this will help you, from an anti-sexual violence organization. It notes that in criminal cases, every state sets its own definition of consent, and that when analyzing the capacity to consent, one factor courts may consider is whether one party is in a position of power over the other, such as a teacher or employer.

https://www.rainn.org/articles/legal-role-consent

The same law firm who is advising Maurizi recently filed a civil action (lawsuit) against USFS, two rinks, and Donald Vincent, a former coach in California who was convicted of child molestation in 2014 and is currently serving a 98 year sentence. I would guess that the statute of limitations in Maurizi’s case have run, or he would have filed a civil action instead of a complaint with SafeSport, but I don’t know that for sure:

http://ktla.com/2018/02/22/former-s...ounty-facilities-in-child-sex-abuse-case/amp/

http://abc7chicago.com/news/ex-ice-skating-coach-sentenced-for-molesting-students/385478/

berthesghost

I love FSU. In the midst of a shocking expose of systematic abuse and corruption, it’s great you guys are taking time out to stick up for the rights of people who enjoy the dynamics of unequal relationships. I can’t wait for the thread in off the beaten track about alter boys who have the hots for older priests.

VGThuy

Tinami, I think maybe in an idealized world, sex wouldn't be THAT big of a deal and people can have bad sexual experiences (not sexual assault or rape but just bad sex or sex they didn't enjoy) and relationships and can end it and all parties involved can act mature and move on even if that person's sexual partner was their teacher, boss, coach, some sort of supervisor, had some position of power over them. I get how your idea that sex can be something like a handshake being appealing and something one can easily get over. However, it almost never works out that way and experience and a huge number of case studies have shown than when there are unequal power imbalances, especially with an age difference where one party seriously lacks life experience and perspective and depends on the other older partner for judgment and is learning from them, there's always some sort of coercion, manipulation, and even consequences (psychological and tangible) if it goes sour.

It's not just age differences either. That's why in many big corporations where office romances between adults may happen many of them have adopted policies to minimize any sort of liability. Some strongly discourage dating, some have a disclosure policy where after disclosure if the two dating employees work in the same division one may get moved, many have a strict rule about superiors and supervisors not being allowed to date subordinates, etc. A lot of is about productivity and office morale, but also a lot of it is because those businesses know there is a danger of lawsuits because all of that can lead to real abuses of power even if those sexual relationships started in earnest and were between two adults.

ToFarAwayTimes

Why does that matter? He is listed as a coach and available.

It matters because he was accused 20 years ago. Nothing happened. Why? Now he is irrelevant and suddenly it feels good for everyone to absolve their conscience and prosecute him when he's no longer useful.

Ask yourself, if Callaghan were a top coach right now, would this be in the news? Would the association do everything to sweep it under the rug because he was producing results? How many FSUers would die on a cross for him because they felt personally invested in the success of him and their favorite skater(s)?

ToFarAwayTimes

So, the US federations under investigation right now are USA Gymnastics, USA Swimming and USA Taekwondo. (Did I miss any?)

From the comments above, I guess most people here think that USFS is trying to air their transgressions before Congress comes for them? You're likely right but I personally think that this makes them look worse because it shows they knew that they mishandled it in the first place.

At this point, I think the entire USOC structure needs blowing up.

As disgusting as USOC is, at least we are investigating people here (finally). The same cannot be said for all countries, where winning and dismissing abuse is all that matters.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Ask yourself, if Callaghan were a top coach right now, would this be in the news? Would the association do everything to sweep it under the rug because he was producing results?

Given that USFS has done nothing about Morozov's series of girlfriends who are also skaters that he coaches, I would say yes.

starrynight

I hesitate to say coaches and students dating is never okay because I think about someone like Meagan Duhamel. I never saw anything wrong with her relationship with Bruno, even though he is eleven years older than her. I don't know when they started dating, but she was 28 when they got engaged, which is very, very different than a teenage student, or even early twenties. And I also think about Serena Williams, who was rumoured to be dating her coach for a while. But again, she would have been around 30 when that started, if it was true.

Most of the time coaches and students dating is not something that should happen though.

I agree with this. Whenever people advocate a blanket rule which applies also to adults I always think of the happy marriage that Meagan and Bruno appear to have. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything about them - probably because Meagan is so obviously very headstrong and strong willed, and very much an adult. It's also a relationship of two people that would also easily happen in everyday life and doesn't at all seem to dependant on the student/coach relationship.

Potentially it is just up to rinks to have their own employment/contractor rules on the topic, much like many workplaces have.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ask yourself, if Callaghan were a top coach right now, would this be in the news?
He was a top coach when the original NYT article was written & it was certainly in the news then. The primary difference is that the procedures have changed & SafeSport does not have the time restriction for their complaints, so today if a USFS officer wanted to minimize the complaint it could not be done under the technicality of "past the deadline" & they would have to comply with the procedures.

Tinami Amori

Tinami, I think maybe in an idealized world, sex wouldn't be THAT big of a deal and people can have bad sexual experiences (not sexual assault or rape but just bad sex or sex they didn't enjoy) and relationships and can end it and all parties involved can act mature and move on even if that person's sexual partner was their teacher, boss, coach, some sort of supervisor, had some position of power over them. I get how your idea that sex can be something like a handshake being appealing and something one can easily get over. However, it almost never works out that way and experience and a huge number of case studies have shown than when there are unequal power imbalances, especially with an age difference where one party seriously lacks life experience and perspective and depends on the other older partner for judgment and is learning from them, there's always some sort of coercion, manipulation, and even consequences (psychological and tangible) if it goes sour.
First of all, the example i keep referring to is "younger person/student/employee initiates relationship with older person/teacher/boss", so if there is "power imbalance" it is initially on the side of the one being pursued by the one with "less power".

Second, is that i don't understand what is the damage if two people, connected by work/school/sports, spend a night together?

Let's take the most feared case scenario: lets say a 40-year old man in power, a boss/teacher/coach (unmarried, pls note, i am excluding such right if person is married, since marriage is a contract and one has no right to break it by cheating), flirts and seduces (in a nice way, with flowers, gifts, compliments, NO coercion or violence of course) a younger woman 20-year old. As he pursues her, she starts to like him and seeing various charms of that man and perhaps benefits, personal, physical, intellectual (learning from a wiser person).... And yes, she comes to this state of mind as a result of his actions, but on her own free will. And then they spend a night together. And the he dumps her, or she dumps him.... and it does not affect their work day the next morning. Just ha-ha... that was a mistake lets not talk about it... Or even if she fell in love with him, and he is not interested..

Tell me, WHAT exactly has she lost during that night when they were engaged in mutually enjoyable activity? an arm? a leg? a piece of meat off her body? did he make her pay for dinner and did not pay her back?..... two adults, had fun in bed, and then no more of it.

If we're concerned with "emotional side" how the employee/student girl would feel when a "powerful man" left her, then let's ask a question when two people meet outside of work or sports, and are also in unequal social or financial position, a wealthy man meets a poor girl at the movies and gets her involved in a relationship and then breaks up?

Is the emotional side of a break up any more or less stronger based on where and how people met?

I am pretty sure that a "sensitive person" would upset over a break up all the same regardless if they met at work or at a rink or at friends' house...

And honestly.... i get a sense lately in this topic, or rather finally starting to understand, the perhaps people think that "sex, which woman gives to a man" is some kind of asset.. and if the "seduces her" then he is taking something from her. That a result of a seduction (of a woman by a man) is not viewed as "oh great! they agreed on having fun in bed", but rather "she giving herself to him as a result of his manipulation"...... As if sex is dirty and the woman is potentially losing something... oy, mama mia...

It's not just age differences either. That's why in many big corporations where office romances between adults may happen many of them have adopted policies to minimize any sort of liability. Some strongly discourage dating, some have a disclosure policy where after disclosure if the two dating employees work in the same division one may get moved, many have a strict rule about superiors and supervisors not being allowed to date subordinates, etc. A lot of is about productivity and office morale, but also a lot of it is because those businesses know there is a danger of lawsuits because all of that can lead to real abuses of power even if those sexual relationships started in earnest and were between two adults.
I absolutely agree with cases when the corporation's concern is office environment and productivity. They pay their employees salaries for work, not other activities and indirect consequences of such. But what happens in "employees harts and minds" as a result of an affair, is NONE of their business nor should be used as reason for prohibiting such affairs. If two people in the same office hook up, and their work is not affected, whatever they feel, do, experience is no one's affair. The assumption that "if two employees date and later break up then they will not be able to work in the same office/department/project" is not a valid reason for a rule. What is valid is when as a result of a break up two or one of the two employees starts "acting out" and unable to do his/her job - you fire him/her, and that would be fair. But assuming "the worst" is subjective, and not a reason to pass a law.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
He was a top coach when the original NYT article was written & it was certainly in the news then. The primary difference is that the procedures have changed & SafeSport does not have the time restriction for their complaints, so today if a USFS officer wanted to minimize the complaint it could not be done under the technicality of "past the deadline" & they would have to comply with the procedures.

According to the ABC story that was posted today, the lawyer that represented USFS in responding to the 1999 complaints (and rejecting them) still represents USFS today. So there are certainly some reasons to re-open the investigation, because some of the players in 1999 are apparently still involved with the organization - regardless of what Callaghan is doing now.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
From the article:
In 1986, I think Callaghan was in San Diego? I wonder what the law in CA at the time stipulated about mandatory reporters and reporting of abuse. Because if athletic coaches were included and any of those students were under 18, that coach could be in a lot of trouble (unless there is a statute of limitations). I think in 1991, Callaghan was in Detroit, and we know from the Nassar mess that MI's laws don't require athletic coaches to report, although that law is in the process of being changed.
I lived in San Diego in 1986 and I learned to skate there in 1993. This is what I recall of what was happening at that time:

No, there were no mandatory reporter laws back in '86 in CA that would cover a figure skating coach. The Child Abuse Reporting Law was enacted here in 1980 but the types of people covered didn't include coaches or other people who weren't given special training (i.e., teachers, first responders) for a long, long time IIRC. (The act was amended over time to include more and more people. I don't remember when coaches were added exactly but it was later.) The law talked about people who *could* report even if they hadn't witnessed anything (usually you have to witness a crime or be a victim to report it), but they weren't mandated to report.

As far as Callaghan was concerned, he was long gone by the time I started skating, but the club skaters still talked about him and Todd. They were quite proud that Todd had trained in SD but they were at best guarded about Callaghan. Some people would hint very heavily that he had done inappropriate things and had, basically, been run out of town by the skating community for it. But nothing specific and especially no names were ever said. It was all vague yet very clear IYKWIM.

Back then, we were still in a time period where problem teachers, religious leaders, and coaches were not turned in but instead were moved around. Hopefully, they were moved someplace without direct access to children (i.e., a teacher moved into Administration). But often they were just moved into the same job in a different town. :yikes: The social mores were that you protected your kid(s) and your town and let the next town deal with it as they saw fit.

It's mind-boggling to people today, I am sure. But a lot of times these cases were hard to prove so people's attitude was: we can't put him in prison but we can make sure he never touches our kids again at least. Today people are more likely to talk about it publicly as a way of warning others as well as more likely to make formal complaints, I think.

Japanfan

But the rest of the "concerns" is nothing more than "moralizing" and subjective: age difference, ranks, teacher-student factor... It is possible that when two people meet, "student-teacher" or "boss-employee" or "19 and 35 year old", they might have found a true love, a life long partner, or! a nice affair, a great sexual experience, a fun one night stand... If they are consenting adults, who is to say they can not have a relationship outside of work/sports facility?

If these two people end up getting married, then good for them. If they end up having a one night stand, even better, both had a fun evening or an afternoon... if they don't like being married - they'll divorce; if they don't like how the sex went, they won't do it again..... Who cares what their rank or age is (if they are consenting adults)....

The point you are missing is that such relationships can be characterized by a power imbalance. For that reason, minors have to be protected and statutory rape has to be distinguished from rape.

As to the 19 year old and 35 year old, I don't know that anyone can say that they cannot have a relationship. But power imbalances still exist, and are common among women and men particularly - the extent varying depending on women's rights and statuses as well as the men's status and the way in which they exercise power. The young trophy wife and the rich old man is one common relationship with a power imbalance. And I really don't want to argue with you that the young trophy wife is the one with the power - it's the kind of claim you might make, as you do like to be contrary.

The example of Megan Duhamel and her husband was given as one between a coach-student in which there was mutual consent. But she was in her late 20s, although even then a power imbalance could be at play. I'll also give the example of my brother, who became a university professor at about 23 and several years later became involved with one of his students, who was five years younger than him. Their relationship was one between equals from what I could tell. She was one of the loves of his life, the mother of his two children (sadly committed suicide due to severe depression).

I wonder if there are any university policies that prohibit professors from having relationships with students these days?

My point is that power imbalances exist in consensual adult relationships, usually with the man having the greater amount of power. These imbalances are reflective of society at large, so eliminating them is a huge challenge that societies are quite far away from. But the legalization of measures to address power imbalances between adults and minors who have sexual relations is one step taken to addressing the issue. If teenage girls understand those imbalances, they are more likely to be aware of them throughout their lives and possible be better equipped to deal with them.

When I was in high school in the 70s, there wasn't even a word for date rape. Most women I know recall an instance or instances in which they were actually raped, but excused the man's bad behavior because 'he was just doing what men do' and she was doing what a what a 'woman does' but resisting and then complying. :mad::mad:I sure hope young women don't have that point of view anymore.

The events you describe - the fun one-night stand and great sexual experience - are often not that alone and can reflect the gender dynamics that characterize society at large. These dynamics can impact consenting adults of the same age, not only relationships in which there is a big age difference between the two parties. As you pointed out, it can involve a financial inequity between people, which likely reflects a status inequity.

I am cautiously optimistic that women have gained some empowerment as of late, at least in western societies (noting that Iranian women recently took off their head covers in a protest), and hope that it might do a bit to change power imbalances. But it's going to take a very long time.

Last edited:

Nadya

First of all, the example i keep referring to is "younger person/student/employee initiates relationship with older person/teacher/boss", so if there is "power imbalance" it is initially on the side of the one being pursued by the one with "less power".

Second, is that i don't understand what is the damage if two people, connected by work/school/sports, spend a night together?

Let's take the most feared case scenario: lets say a 40-year old man in power, a boss/teacher/coach (unmarried, pls note, i am excluding such right if person is married, since marriage is a contract and one has no right to break it by cheating), flirts and seduces (in a nice way, with flowers, gifts, compliments, NO coercion or violence of course) a younger woman 20-year old. As he pursues her, she starts to like him and seeing various charms of that man and perhaps benefits, personal, physical, intellectual (learning from a wiser person).... And yes, she comes to this state of mind as a result of his actions, but on her own free will. And then they spend a night together. And the he dumps her, or she dumps him.... and it does not affect their work day the next morning. Just ha-ha... that was a mistake lets not talk about it... Or even if she fell in love with him, and he is not interested..

Tell me, WHAT exactly has she lost during that night when they were engaged in mutually enjoyable activity? an arm? a leg? a piece of meat off her body? did he make her pay for dinner and did not pay her back?..... two adults, had fun in bed, and then no more of it.

If we're concerned with "emotional side" how the employee/student girl would feel when a "powerful man" left her, then let's ask a question when two people meet outside of work or sports, and are also in unequal social or financial position, a wealthy man meets a poor girl at the movies and gets her involved in a relationship and then breaks up?

Is the emotional side of a break up any more or less stronger based on where and how people met?

I am pretty sure that a "sensitive person" would upset over a break up all the same regardless if they met at work or at a rink or at friends' house...

And honestly.... i get a sense lately in this topic, or rather finally starting to understand, the perhaps people think that "sex, which woman gives to a man" is some kind of asset.. and if the "seduces her" then he is taking something from her. That a result of a seduction (of a woman by a man) is not viewed as "oh great! they agreed on having fun in bed", but rather "she giving herself to him as a result of his manipulation"...... As if sex is dirty and the woman is potentially losing something... oy, mama mia...

I absolutely agree with cases when the corporation's concern is office environment and productivity. They pay their employees salaries for work, not other activities and indirect consequences of such. But what happens in "employees harts and minds" as a result of an affair, is NONE of their business nor should be used as reason for prohibiting such affairs. If two people in the same office hook up, and their work is not affected, whatever they feel, do, experience is no one's affair. The assumption that "if two employees date and later break up then they will not be able to work in the same office/department/project" is not a valid reason for a rule. What is valid is when as a result of a break up two or one of the two employees starts "acting out" and unable to do his/her job - you fire him/her, and that would be fair. But assuming "the worst" is subjective, and not a reason to pass a law.

I think you will find that most professional environments, be it corporations, academic institutions or athletic organizations, have a clear ban on romantic relationships between two people when one happens to be managed, directed or supervised by another. This has nothing to do with who lost what, and everything to do with the commonsense knowledge that it is simply impossible to be fair, objective and impartial at work toward someone you're sleeping with. Say a professor happens to be romantically involved with a student he or she (this is gender blind) supervises; how can one be sure that student is treated fairly and on an equal footing with OTHER students that professor supervises? How can one be sure that student's grades are handed on the basis of merit and not charms?

Apply this logic anywhere else. A law firm partner is romantically involved with an associate he/she manages, along with six others. How can one be sure that associate's assignments are handed out, reviews given, and billable hours doled out based on merit? A VP gets involved with a line manager over whom she/he has direct supervisory authority; how can one be sure everyone ELSE that person supervises gets a fair treatment? Mind you, that is when both are single and happy to be involved. Let's not even go into the crap that happens when one is not, and when the relationship goes sour. Most people realize it's impossible to be fair to someone you sleep with, and treat them the same as everyone else at work. This is why in most professional settings these sorts of relationships are not allowed, and while people are perfectly free to meet at work, should they become involved with their boss, they would be given a choice between losing their job or losing the relationship. If that. At my organization, when that type of relationship is discovered, two people are promptly reassigned to other groups so no supervisory relationship between them exists any longer. And people who decide to marry will not be allowed to keep their jobs if one works for another. And this is as it should be, because no one has to wonder whether their teammate is getting a better deal from the boss during the day because they happen to swap body fluids at night.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I thought Morozov didn't coach American skaters. What jurisdiction would the USFS have?

He does coach in the US, though, which would make him subject to US law, and as has been discussed before, the statutory rape laws in New Jersey are rather clear on this point with regards to a coach-student relationship.

Nadya

In pretty much any big corporation it would be a "career limiting move" to sleep with your subordinate. People who are peers are free to do whatever they want, but I don't know of of any place that would allow open romantic involvement between a boss and a subordinate. The best possible outcome of this would that one of them is promptly reassigned.

skatingguy

decently
He does coach in the US, though, which would make him subject to US law, and as has been discussed before, the statutory rape laws in New Jersey are rather clear on this point with regards to a coach-student relationship.
Someone would have to make a complaint, usually a parent, in order to have statutory rape charges brought. Do we have information that statutory rape would be applicable? I'm not familiar with all of the greasy one's personal affairs.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Someone would have to make a complaint, usually a parent, in order to have statutory rape charges brought. Do we have information that statutory rape would be applicable? I'm not familiar with all of the greasy one's personal affairs.

He married his current wife on her 18th birthday. I think it's pretty telling.

Probably no formal complaint has been made because he surrounds himself with people like Tinami, who think predatory grooming is perfectly okay, especially of minors, and because he's still a "top coach" so people overlook it.

(And yes, I am royally pissed with Brendan. Any other coach in the US, Brendan. Any other coach. Even frecking Carroll.)

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Did anyone see the story on Good Morning America this morning, and can report what was discussed?

Debbie S

Why would USFS care? Not their circus and not their monkeys...
Depending on the policies at the rink(s) where he coaches, Morozov may have been required to obtain USFS certification (background check, continuing ed courses (which are online and consist of reading material and passing a quiz), PSA liability insurance). In which case, his predatory activities would be very much USFS's monkeys. But there would have to be ethics complaints or criminal charges filed against him for him to be 'red-lighted'.

VGThuy

He married his current wife on her 18th birthday. I think it's pretty telling.

Probably no formal complaint has been made because he surrounds himself with people like Tinami, who think predatory grooming is perfectly okay, especially of minors, and because he's still a "top coach" so people overlook it.

(And yes, I am royally pissed with Brendan. Any other coach in the US, Brendan. Any other coach. Even frecking Carroll.)

The age of consent in New Jersey is 16 though there are Romeo and Juliet laws in place to protect those who are close in age and have a sexual relationship (I think it has to be less than a 4 year age difference for that protection). However, one can still be charged and convicted of sexual assault if the victim is at least 16 and under the age of 18 if a perpetrator has some sort of authority, supervisory, or disciplinary power of any nature or in any capacity over the victim. I think in Morosov's case, although sexual assault charge could have been brought up, the fact is that Davankova's mother was all for that relationship and encouraged it so the person most likely to bring forth charges was not going to.

Nadya

The point you are missing is that such relationships can be characterized by a power imbalance. For that reason, minors have to be protected and statutory rape has to be distinguished from rape.
I'll also give the example of my brother, who became a university professor at about 23 and several years later became involved with one of his students, who was five years younger than him. Their relationship was one between equals from what I could tell. She was one of the loves of his life, the mother of his two children (sadly committed suicide due to severe depression).

I wonder if there are any university policies that prohibit professors from having relationships with students these days?
Yes. There are. Pretty much all universities ban relationships between professors and students under their tutelage. In the current environment your brother would not have been allowed to remain his lover's professor. He cannot sleep with her at night AND decide what grade she gets on her midterms in the morning. And having relationships of this sort is the shortest path to goodbye tenure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information