Callaghan suspended over sexual abuse allegations

kittysk8ts

It matters because he was accused 20 years ago. Nothing happened. Why? Now he is irrelevant and suddenly it feels good for everyone to absolve their conscience and prosecute him when he's no longer useful.

Ask yourself, if Callaghan were a top coach right now, would this be in the news? Would the association do everything to sweep it under the rug because he was producing results? How many FSUers would die on a cross for him because they felt personally invested in the success of him and their favorite skater(s)?
My point was that whether he has top students or not doesn't matter. If he is still listed as available to coach, which he was, then that was a problem, which for the time being, has been remedied.

cmk

I think they are still trying to sweep it under the rug. The interviewer on gma said that that usfs tried to discourage Maurizi from going on the show. I didn't realize that the usfsa had simply dismissed the case on a technical basis rather than investigating it in 1999 though. Now, I am not sure who is telling the truth- there are people supporting Maurizi's side (more now than back then), and some on Callaghan's. I haven't heard a peep from Todd ( although I imagine he would back Callaghan's side of the story), Tara, or Nicole. Kirk's statement that he was a control freak and that she didn't think he had the technical ability to fix her jumps (although he fixed Nicole's) have made think my original impression that Callaghan and Maurizi had an consensual affair after Craig was of age might be wrong though. I would like to know Tara's and Nicole's opinions of what happened.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Considering that the website for Todd's rink and program is "suddenly" not functioning, I don't think we'll be hearing much from him. My guess is that he cannot be reached. Until after this story dies down (if it does).

Twizzler

I think they are still trying to sweep it under the rug. The interviewer on gma said that that usfs tried to discourage Maurizi from going on the show. I didn't realize that the usfsa had simply dismissed the case on a technical basis rather than investigating it in 1999 though. Now, I am not sure who is telling the truth- there are people supporting Maurizi's side (more now than back then), and some on Callaghan's. I haven't heard a peep from Todd ( although I imagine he would back Callaghan's side of the story), Tara, or Nicole. Kirk's statement that he was a control freak and that she didn't think he had the technical ability to fix her jumps (although he fixed Nicole's) have made think my original impression that Callaghan and Maurizi had an consensual affair after Craig was of age might be wrong though. I would like to know Tara's and Nicole's opinions of what happened.
Tara is way too young to know of anything first hand re: Maurizi or the allegations of abuse of others back in the 80’s and before. Anything she knows would likely be the same rumors that have been around for years. It’s very disconcerting to hear that USFS tried to discourage him from giving the interview.

Personally, I feel Craig is telling the truth. To bring this back up 20 yrs after the first disclosure- way too emotionally taxing to live through it all over again and risk the same outcome if it’s a made up story. I hope others come forward.

Inessence

Last night the show Inside Edition called out a US women’s volleyball coach for grooming and sexually exploiting teenage girls he was training. Two of the women he abused spoke out.

Sylvia

TBD
This story has been in the mainstream news since Friday when this thread was started originally. The Yahoo article is the same ABC news article that was posted here yesterday (post #74) with GMA's Maurizi interview now embedded.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
This story has been in the mainstream news since Friday when this thread was started originally. The Yahoo article is the same ABC news article that was posted here yesterday (post #74) with GMA's Maurizi interview now embedded.

It’s more mainstream than ever now...first headline that popped up as I now opened my internet! Considering all of this morning’s news (Tillerson & all), that’s impressive.
By the way, I was very into USFSA and skating throughout the ‘80s. There was talk of Callahan’s behavior even then - not just Todd but, earlier, a talented youngster Larson. This is very old news. I hope that Craig’s story is picked up more & more, and that Callahan seriously pays for his doings this time around.

Last edited:

soogar

Damn that interview was painful to watch. :fragile:
Kudos to him for going public with this again in order to force this issue into daylight, even though talking about it in front of TV cameras is clearly a very difficult and mortifying thing for him.

He's definitely telling the truth. I hope he gets justice this time. I always thought Richard Callaghan was creepy looking in the kiss and cry.

I feel for Todd because I think it is conceivable that nothing happened between him and Callaghan however it would be embarrassing to field these questions and to listen to these accusations against someone he's known and trusted since he was a child.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
If this story proves to be true, and I don't any reasons to not believe it, US Figure Skating needs to be investigated, and everyone involved in the cover-up fired and prosecuted.

Way back when the US Nationals “regulars” first heard about this behavior, USFSA tried really, really hard to hide behind their navy blazers and maintain the country-club values of F. Ritter Shumway & company.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Here's a very naive question. I understand that the prior grievance policy had a 60-day timeliness requirement. But since the allegations were of criminal behavior, shouldn't and couldn't USFS have investigated anyway? Maybe they wouldn't have been able to act on Maurizi's allegations, but maybe they would have uncovered other victims? And sure, they're saying no one else has complained. Well who would when they see that it got Maurizi nowhere?

There is still so much shame and victim blaming associated with sexual misconduct, I can understand why others may not have voluntarily come forward. But for USFS to use "no other reports" as an excuse seems to me to be at best a case of willful ignorance.

VGThuy

I don’t have much faith that any org dealt with accusations like this effectively in the past. I hope they are taken to task and learn from it and adopt and actually effectuate real policies that actually assist victims and make them feel safe and welcome to come out.

Vagabond

Here's a very naive question. I understand that the prior grievance policy had a 60-day timeliness requirement. But since the allegations were of criminal behavior, shouldn't and couldn't USFS have investigated anyway? Maybe they wouldn't have been able to act on Maurizi's allegations, but maybe they would have uncovered other victims? And sure, they're saying no one else has complained. Well who would when they see that it got Maurizi nowhere?
According to the ABC video, Maurizi's petition in 1999 included statements of support from others who said that Callaghan had acted similarly toward them. If their mindset was that complaints had to be made within sixty days, it's not surprising they didn't want to bother and still want, today, to suppress any potential revelations.

Maurizi has said that the inappropriate sexual conduct started when he was fifteen. There aren't many fifteen-year-olds of either sex who would file complaints against an adult who abused them sexually, let alone fifteen-year-old male athletes. Thank goodness SafeSport is willing to pick up the ball that the USFSA dropped years ago and run with it.

Last edited:

Debbie S

Why would USFS care? Not their circus and not their monkeys...
Depending on the policies at the rink(s) where he coaches, Morozov may have been required to obtain USFS certification (background check, continuing ed courses (which are online and consist of reading material and passing a quiz), PSA liability insurance). In which case, his predatory activities would be very much USFS's monkeys. But there would have to be ethics complaints or criminal charges filed against him for him to be 'red-lighted'.
I just looked up His Oilyness on the USFS coach compliance list (http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/CoachCompliance1718.pdf). He is noted to have submitted proof of PSA liability insurance but no background check or CERs. That means he can't coach at USFS tests or comps (the testing enforcement depends on how diligent the host club is) but I guess Hackensack (or wherever he is coaching) doesn't require coaches to be USFS-certified. There are rinks in my area that don't and those that do - not every rink's mgmt is aware of USFS policies or bothers to follow them, since they are not officially required to. There are some rinks, particularly those run by a municipality, that require any staff to be fingerprinted and have a criminal background check as part of state laws that require that for teachers and anyone else working with children - those are done through the state police.

His daughter is also listed as a coach but since she is under 18, is not required to have a background check. She did submit PSA insurance, which would suggest she is doing more than teaching group lessons (those just teaching learn-to-skate are covered under the rink's USFS insurance and aren't required to complete a background check (if over 18) or CERs).

attyfan

Here's a very naive question. I understand that the prior grievance policy had a 60-day timeliness requirement. But since the allegations were of criminal behavior, shouldn't and couldn't USFS have investigated anyway? ...

When the allegations concern criminal behavior, the proper move is to contact law enforcement or the protective services -- especially since the criminal statute of limitations may differ from the USFS's internal rules. The reporting laws provide protection if the report is made to the appropriate authorities, but not for internal investigations.

BittyBug

Disgusted
When the allegations concern criminal behavior, the proper move is to contact law enforcement or the protective services -- especially since the criminal statute of limitations may differ from the USFS's internal rules. The reporting laws provide protection if the report is made to the appropriate authorities, but not for internal investigations.
So are you saying that USFS should have reported the matter to the police, or that Maurizi should have taken that route, or both?

attyfan

So are you saying that USFS should have reported the matter to the police, or that Maurizi should have taken that route, or both?

According to the linked article, the legal issue (what occurred when Maurizi was 15 until he turned 18) was quite old ... so there may have been limitations problems for even criminal cases. However, under current law, there are various "tolling" statutes -- so someone in Maurizi's place should tell law enforcement even if old. Under most current reporting laws, the USFS would now be expected to contact law enforcement.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I don't have a whole lot to add here, but I do remember this being a big story for about a week following the 1999 Worlds-- just a few days after the event was over or maybe even while the event was finishing up IIRC. I was 12 at the time, but even then I thought it was weird how it (quickly) just went away and everyone seemed to go on their happy paths.

Fast forward to now, and I agree that USFS needs an investigation not only into then (even with a 60-day rule), but also present day figuring out why they still want things to be hush-hush. The federation needed a major overhaul to begin with, but I'd guess this is really going to send things over the top.

But, until then, as they suggest, #getup :rolleyes:

Tinami Amori

The point you are missing is that such relationships can be characterized by a power imbalance. For that reason, minors have to be protected and statutory rape has to be distinguished from rape.
i don't understand why you and others keep talking about minors and rape, when my comments exclude and condemn these options.

As to the 19 year old and 35 year old, I don't know that anyone can say that they cannot have a relationship.
The rules book says that student/teacher relationship is an issue, posters here said "even if a student after the teacher, teacher should refuse", and many condemn situations when it happens, Morozov for example.

But power imbalances still exist, and are common among women and men particularly - the extent varying depending on women's rights and statuses as well as the men's status and the way in which they exercise power. The young trophy wife and the rich old man is one common relationship with a power imbalance. And I really don't want to argue with you that the young trophy wife is the one with the power - it's the kind of claim you might make, as you do like to be contrary.
Power imbalance exists in relationships formed outside of teach/student or employee/boss settings. Why single out sports, places of employment?

The example of Megan Duhamel and her husband was given as one between a coach-student in which there was mutual consent. But she was in her late 20s, although even then a power imbalance could be at play.
It's subjective at what age one becomes mature and can handle break up and how one handles break up or "imbalanced relationship" as you put it, or! even if one sees/feels that such relationship are "imbalanced". Just because you think so, does not mean it is a reality for this couple.

My point is that power imbalances exist in consensual adult relationships, usually with the man having the greater amount of power. These imbalances are reflective of society at large, so eliminating them is a huge challenge that societies are quite far away from.
I don't know where you come up with these assumptions of "evil powerful men". I never met a man who has more power than me (except physically stronger sometimes). Some were taller, stronger, had more money, higher in rank at work, critical service providers and professionals in the areas i have no expertise in... But they don't have any power over me or other women, what power? what can he do to me in a relationship with more money or a better job? nothing.. if there are laws that protect your from violence, theft, etc... Even if he has more money and can skip on me out of town on a private jet, i'd be just as upset if he ran out of my apartment on foot eating my last cookie...
And in bed, when you turn off the lights, it's not about power, unless one is into S&M.. you're both naked, horizontal at times, and doing fun stuff.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I don't have a whole lot to add here, but I do remember this being a big story for about a week following the 1999 Worlds-- just a few days after the event was over or maybe even while the event was finishing up IIRC. I was 12 at the time, but even then I thought it was weird how it (quickly) just went away and everyone seemed to go on their happy paths.

Fast forward to now, and I agree that USFS needs an investigation not only into then (even with a 60-day rule), but also present day figuring out why they still want things to be hush-hush. The federation needed a major overhaul to begin with, but I'd guess this is really going to send things over the top.

But, until then, as they suggest, #getup :rolleyes:

I remember hearing about it around that time as well. I was also surprised that there was no real follow-through. From what I remember though, it was like Fox or something that did some sort of special where this was discussed and it was given the tabloid news treatment. Kind of shows how these accusations were taken back then. The fact that this happened and was brushed away in this manner by so many in and outside of sport makes me think it was high time for the #metoo movement.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I remember hearing about it around that time as well. I was also surprised that there was no real follow-through. From what I remember though, it was like Fox or something that did some sort of special where this was discussed and it was given the tabloid news treatment.

There was a cheesy FOX special in 1999 or 2000 called On Thin Ice: The Dark Side of Skating. I don’t see it on YouTube but I’m on mobile and navigation isn’t great. I can’t remember if they addressed the Callaghan story, but I do remember all of the stories had really awful reenactments.

Tinami Amori

There was a cheesy FOX special in 1999 or 2000 called On Thin Ice: The Dark Side of Skating. I don’t see it on YouTube but I’m on mobile and navigation isn’t great. I can’t remember if they addressed the Callaghan story, but I do remember all of the stories had really awful reenactments.
This? it's not about Callaghan, just Pasha-sex... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w227JiWLImM
Callaghan has a recent news brief https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IjlgW9ySwc

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 221

I will always admire those who spoke up in 1999. Susie Wynne, in the midst of a successful TV commentating career, was willing to speak up and say she believed Craig Maurizi. She risked a lot by going public with her support. I respected her then and will always respect for taking a stand.

Time is BEYOND UP in this case. As for hoping the media doesn't go after Todd.... At some point, he and everyone else who vigorously defended Callaghan must be held accountable for their complicit behavior. I hope to god no one has suffered because of the "technicalities" that stopped this case from proceeding nearly 20 years ago. And I hope the spineless USFS leadership at the time feels the weight on their conscience every damn day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information