Broadway musicals

Which Broadway show would you recommend ?

• Aladdin

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Anastasia

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Cats

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • Charlie & the Chocolate Factory

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Hamilton

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • Miss Saigon

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • The Book of Mormon

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • The Phantom of the Opera

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Wicked

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other

Votes: 24 25.0%

• Total voters

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Going to see "The Music Man" with Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster during January. Staying in the city afterwards. I have not been to Broadway for the longest time and am so looking forward to it!
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it - one of my favorite musicals and I think both leads are great.

PatChan4O

screech

Hugh Jackman makes his entrance in last night’s first preview of The Music Man, and a bit more……

I’m so there.
Ive never been a fan of Hugh's singing voice, though Sutton Foster will likely be brilliant as usual.

So I'm considering going to see the jukebox musical & Juliet which is having its North American premiere in Toronto next summer. It's kind of an interesting concept - a 'what if' situation if Juliet didn't die at the end of Romeo & Juliet, featuring music written by Max Martin (songs of Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, and many more).

MLIS

Ive never been a fan of Hugh's singing voice, though Sutton Foster will likely be brilliant as usual.

So I'm considering going to see the jukebox musical & Juliet which is having its North American premiere in Toronto next summer. It's kind of an interesting concept - a 'what if' situation if Juliet didn't die at the end of Romeo & Juliet, featuring music written by Max Martin (songs of Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, and many more).
I adore Sutton Foster, but am afraid she is slightly miscast in this. She has a particularly goofy, modern energy that doesn’t translate to Marian, and while a fantastic singer does not have the shimmering, soaring soprano that Marian’s songs demand. I saw her as Millie and she was absolutely perfect, I saw her as Reno in Anything Goes and while her dancing was phenomenal, her energy was not right for Reno (IMO, and I realize she got rave reviews so I am in the minority). Like I said, I love her (and her memoir is now out and is a must read, I devoured it in one sitting), and I would love to see her in this, but that clip of them dancing in Shipoopi looks to me like goofy Sutton dancing with Hugh, not Marian drawn into the dance by Harold.

VGThuy

I adore Sutton Foster, but am afraid she is slightly miscast in this. She has a particularly goofy, modern energy that doesn’t translate to Marian, and while a fantastic singer does not have the shimmering, soaring soprano that Marian’s songs demand. I saw her as Millie and she was absolutely perfect, I saw her as Reno in Anything Goes and while her dancing was phenomenal, her energy was not right for Reno (IMO, and I realize she got rave reviews so I am in the minority). Like I said, I love her (and her memoir is now out and is a must read, I devoured it in one sitting), and I would love to see her in this, but that clip of them dancing in Shipoopi looks to me like goofy Sutton dancing with Hugh, not Marian drawn into the dance by Harold.
She's probably going to give us a goofy, girl-next-door version of Marian which...

But then Sutton is one of those performers who I always come in expecting one thing and am pleasantly surprised with her afterwards. Like with Violet.

I'm not a fan of Hugh Jackman's singing voice and I get annoyed how the whole Broadway community seems to fawn over his looks, but I can definitely see him in this role.

Last edited:

screech

She's probably going to give us a goofy, girl-next-door version of Marian which...

But then Sutton is one of those performers who I always come in expecting one thing and am pleasantly surprised with her afterwards. Like with Violet.

I'm not a fan of Hugh Jackman's singing voice and I get annoyed how the whole Broadway community seems to fawn over his looks, but I can definitely see him in this role.
I agree re: Hugh. Like I said, I don't like his voice, but he has the charisma needed for Harold Hill. I was wondering who else would be good in the part - Andrew Rannells and NPH have the smarmy charisma for it, but just aren't the right fit. Christian Borle isn't right either (and may be awkward with Sutton?). Matthew Morrison or Darren Criss maybe, but again, just not right. Leslie Odom Jr? Jeremy Jordan? Zachary Levi?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Will Chase? He can handle those rapid-fire kinds of songs; I saw him in the Mystery of Edwin Drood revival a few years ago.

MLIS

I saw Robert Sean Leonard, of all people, in the last B’way revival (with the glorious, much missed Rebecca Luker as Marian). His was a completely different, but very compelling take … his Harold seemed to almost get caught up in the con himself and forget it wasn’t real. It was interesting to see something other than the usual Robert Preston take. Leonard wasn‘t much of a singer either, but he held his own. A surprising, and enjoyable, performance.

PatChan4O

It will be interesting to see who they’ll cast in Jackman’s place during his 3 weeks of vacation (a week at a time). Maybe his understudy or a “star”? I expect The Music Man to have a long run and they’ll need to recast at some point anyway.

MLIS

When he was in Boy From Oz they just closed the show when he took vacation! And IIRC, he never missed a performance other than his scheduled vacations. But Boy From Oz was much more of a star vehicle for him and it made sense that no one would be interested in seeing it if he was out. Music Man has broader appeal, I think. I hope they will let his understudy perform and not stunt cast … what an opportunity!

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Going to see "The Music Man" with Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster during January. Staying in the city afterwards. I have not been to Broadway for the longest time and am so looking forward to it!
I love Hugh Jackman, I wonder how long he will be there?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I love love love Sutton Foster, but I got that same vibe off her in that very short clip. She didn't seem as prim and proper as Marian should be - or has to be, for the story to work.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I don't mind the casting of Hugh Jackman as Prof Harold Hill - the role, like Prof Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady, doesn't require an amazing singer. I'll be interested in the reviews and seeing some more clips as they surface on YT. I don't have an opinion one way or the other about Sutton Foster, but I suppose the question would be who else currently on Broadway could handle the role of Marian?

BelleBway

a monkey stole my title
I was skeptical of the casting but I was at the first preview and thought Sutton did a fabulous job and had the formidable presence required to play opposite Hugh Jackman. I'm terrible at describing these things but she seemed to play the role as more sure of herself, feisty and strong willed than prim and proper; her Marian reacted to Harold Hill's initial interest with much the same "no thank you, I can see through your fake charm" attitude as I might.

gkelly

I wouldn't expect Harold Hill to have an amazing singing voice though. If he did, wouldn't he make his living as a singer?

Well, isn't that true for most characters in musicals, who aren't written to be professional singers?

We just have to accept that the medium of representation involves singing, while what is being represented (characters' thoughts or speech) in most cases does not.

MLIS

I was skeptical of the casting but I was at the first preview and thought Sutton did a fabulous job and had the formidable presence required to play opposite Hugh Jackman. I'm terrible at describing these things but she seemed to play the role as more sure of herself, feisty and strong willed than prim and proper; her Marian reacted to Harold Hill's initial interest with much the same "no thank you, I can see through your fake charm" attitude as I might.
I actually agree that Marian should be feisty and strong-willed and sure of herself, and she definitely sees through Harold from the start. I just feel like Sutton is a little too goofy and modern in her energy (I felt this way watching her in Anything Goes, too). However, I would be interested to see how she handles the role, and I know she works hard and has a lot of talent. Hoping for a long and healthy run for the whole company!

paskatefan

I saw Robert Sean Leonard, of all people, in the last B’way revival (with the glorious, much missed Rebecca Luker as Marian). His was a completely different, but very compelling take … his Harold seemed to almost get caught up in the con himself and forget it wasn’t real. It was interesting to see something other than the usual Robert Preston take. Leonard wasn‘t much of a singer either, but he held his own. A surprising, and enjoyable, performance.
We saw the revival of "The Music Man" in the fall of 2001 & loved it. We were thrilled that Rebecca Luker (of blessed memory) played the part of Marian (we totally enjoyed her in the 1998 Broadway revival of "The Sound of Music"). We were SO sorry to learn of her passing. :cry:

Last edited:

VGThuy

We saw the revival of "The Music Man" in the fall of 2001 & loved it. We were thrilled that Rebecca Luker (of blessed memory) played the part of Marian (we totally enjoyed her in the 1998 Broadway revival of "The Sound of Music." We were SO sorry to learn of her passing. :cry:
Such a beautiful voice. A true soprano.

canbelto

I don't mind the casting of Hugh Jackman as Prof Harold Hill - the role, like Prof Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady, doesn't require an amazing singer. I'll be interested in the reviews and seeing some more clips as they surface on YT. I don't have an opinion one way or the other about Sutton Foster, but I suppose the question would be who else currently on Broadway could handle the role of Marian?

Definitely Kelli O'Hara, but she apparently wasn't interested (I know her vocal teacher).

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I strenuously dislike The Music Man and don’t much care for Sutton Foster. Hugh Jackman is meh for me. I am the wrong audience for this revival from start to finish. :lol:

sk9tingfan

Given that both Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster are out of Musicman due to the crud and the show is closed for the next five days, my friend and I have decided to pull out and request a refund. We had also planned on staying overnight and going for pre-theater dinner. No dice. The box office provided a full refund without further questions.

personwhoishere

I saw Hadestown a few weeks ago on Amber Gray's last weekend and it was phenomenal. The entire cast is so mega-talented, but Eva Noblezada in particular is an absolute superstar. I've been playing the cast recording almost non-stop since!

Sarah

I saw Hadestown on tour a few weeks ago and the tour Orpheus, Nicholas Barasch, was absolutely PHENOMENAL. The rest of the cast was great too, but he was a standout. The show is amazing and I highly recommend it (tour or broadway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information