Broadway musicals

Which Broadway show would you recommend ?

• Aladdin

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Anastasia

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Cats

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • Charlie & the Chocolate Factory

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Hamilton

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • Miss Saigon

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • The Book of Mormon

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • The Phantom of the Opera

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Wicked

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other

Votes: 24 25.0%

• Total voters

annie720

I’m watching Hamilton now. I’ve seen it 3 times: 1x on Broadway, 1x in Chicago, and 1x on tour. I think I’m in the minority. While I didn’t see him on stage, Lin-Manuel Miranda is not my favorite Hamilton. At this point, he probably ranks 3 of 4. The rest of the cast? Some of the original cast are my favorites! But Lin-Manuel Miranda isn’t. I’m surprised by this, but I’ve liked other takes on Hamilton so much better!
My son saw Lin_Manuel from the front row on Broadway and though he was one of the weaker performers. I love him when he's rapping, but agree that his singing voice isn't that strong. What I absolutely love about him is that he so mad talented as a creator. To write and compose such an interesting work, such a very cool show, a show based on historical figures, with so many complexities, is just phenomenal. I'm fascinated by him as a person.

It's been 15 months since I saw the live production. Loved watching the film to remind me what a great show this is. I'm going go watch some of the White House videos with the original cast now. :)

vgerdes

RIP Nick Cordero :(

I met him when he was touring as Dennis in "Rock of Ages." (OK, I admit it, I was an ROA groupie for a solid two years, and saw the show over 100 times, so I met him several times.) He was an awesome human being as well as being tremendously talented. After battling the disease from hell for three solid months, I was so hoping he'd get well enough to be with his wife and son again. This news broke my heart.

screech

And they Tony Awards are back on.

The Broadway League and American Theatre Association have announced that there will be a digital Tonys to take place later this year on a date to be announced.

I'm glad they're not just skipping it over, as it would be unfair to the shows that were able to open in 2019/2020. Though the pickings will be very slim for the awards. Unless they somehow adapt the eligibility requirements, there are 8 eligible original plays and 4 eligible original musicals. There are 3 eligible revivals of plays and ZERO musical revivals.

Good luck to all the (yet to be announced) nominees!

Yehudi

AITA
Resurrecting this cause we’ve got shows :cheer2:

I saw Six (The wives of Henry VIII musical) and IMO, it was the perfect show to wade back into. It’s one act, less than 90 minutes and super fun. The soundtrack is great (and I thought it was super appropriate they gave Jane Seymour a generic female ballad) with spot on analysis of each marriage.

PeterG

Resurrecting this cause we’ve got shows :cheer2:

I saw Six (The wives of Henry VIII musical) and IMO, it was the perfect show to wade back into. It’s one act, less than 90 minutes and super fun. The soundtrack is great (and I thought it was super appropriate they gave Jane Seymour a generic female ballad) with spot on analysis of each marriage.

I didn't know Jane Seymour could even sing. I loved her on Dr. Quinn.

MLIS

The first two hours (most of the awards and a few performances) were on Paramount+ (CBS’s streamer). The second two hours (mostly performances and the last three awards) were on CBS, but apparently pre-empted or delayed in many markets because football went long and then they showed Big Brother. If you’re outside the US, as I am, you couldn’t see any of it.

annie720

Adrienne Warren is fantastic! But I guess you have to be to play Tina. Such a big voice!

I wish they had taken a simpler approach to the In Memoriam section so that every picture could be seen and the names read. Live performers don't need to be featured here.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
The in memorandum section hurt my heart. The combination of extra time and CV has dealt a lot of losses.

I had a really hard time with the idea that Frankie and Johnny at the Claire de Lune was actually the season being celebrated. To see if I was the only one having this problem, I texted a friend who works on Broadway to ask if she realized that was this season and I actually had to convince her that yes, that was this season and yes, I was referring to the production with Audra McDonald. It took her like an hour to process and it decide that the facts were in my favor and I must be right.

The best musical competition was underwhelming, but the right show won of the three. To be honest, the entire season that was planned did not impress me that much from a best musical standpoint either but it would’ve been more competitive had the whole season happened

screech

I was looking forward to watching the Tonys. So incredibly disappointed with how it was presented this year. Checked out Paramount+ twitter feed and they were not answering questions people were asking regarding accessing the broadcast. For example - Paramount + is available in Canada, but in Canada apparently you couldn't get the Tonys.

There's always talk about wanting to make theatre accessible to more people, however this was definitely not the way to do it.

PeterG

Ugh. Just found out that Jennifer Holliday sand And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going. And killed it. (Not a surprise.) But that it was the last performance on the Paramount+ part of the show and NOT on the CBS portion of the Tony Awards. So it's not on youtube and because I'm guessing Paramount+ is very picky about their content and it's accessibility...that I might not get to see her performance. Like John Legend singing the Temptations or the God-awful "Impossible Dream" could ever stand a chance of holding a candle to Jennifer Holliday. I AM SO DISAPPOINTED!!! :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I'm usually up for the Tonys, but I ended up flipping channels part way through. It felt way too clubby and insider, for a show that is Broadway's one big chance to reach non theatre goers every year. I get that there weren't too many shows to be nominated, but IMO most of the star performances were not that outstanding. And I'm glad I saw the numbers from Jagged Little Pill because now I don't think I would pay Broadway prices to see it.

The Accordion

Bahhhhh. The Tony awards are usually a highlight of my year. But in Canada - even with Paramount + - we couldn’t watch the first bit and the 2nd part on CBS was more like a concert. Highlight for me was Brian Stokes Mitchell and Audra M who KILLED it IMO.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I'm usually up for the Tonys, but I ended up flipping channels part way through. It felt way too clubby and insider, for a show that is Broadway's one big chance to reach non theatre goers every year. I get that there weren't too many shows to be nominated, but IMO most of the star performances were not that outstanding. And I'm glad I saw the numbers from Jagged Little Pill because now I don't think I would pay Broadway prices to see it.

1. That number was a bad reflection of the show because… they were trying to avoid all the controversy surrounding their show
2. Don’t see it. It’s terrible.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Theatregirl1122 I realized partway through that one of the great things about Jagged Little Pill the album is that the songs are interior monologues. They just don't work with more than one person singing them, although the singers were really good.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
So, theatre fans, any guesses on whether the appalling reviews for Diana The Musical on Netflix are going to hurt or help sales for the live production?

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
So, theatre fans, any guesses on whether the appalling reviews for Diana The Musical on Netflix are going to hurt or help sales for the live production?

TBH I feel like the sales were going to be awful either way, so 🤷‍♀️. That seemed like a guaranteed bust the second they announced it.

I finally got back to the theatre this weekend! Went to see Hadestown for the second time.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
TBH I feel like the sales were going to be awful either way, so 🤷‍♀️. That seemed like a guaranteed bust the second they announced it.

Yes, I was wondering if they decided to film it and sell it to Netflix to offset the losses after the live show crashes and burns...

jenny12

VGThuy

Are they going to dim the lights tonight like usual or turn them off like they did for Oscar Hammerstein?

VGThuy

Going to see "The Music Man" with Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster during January. Staying in the city afterwards. I have not been to Broadway for the longest time and am so looking forward to it!
Let me know how it is. I’m hoping to see the revival of my favorite 21st century musical, Caroline, or Change soon. I’ve been holding off because I love the original so much I don’t know if I’ll like the revival as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information