Bids for ISU Championships 2021

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I think the novelty might draw a crowd. I recall the JGP in Brisbane was very well attended.
The JGP was held at Boondall rink which is an established facility. It is more about if they use a venue that you have to hire and then lay ice down, it becomes very costly.

You could hold it at Docklands rink, but the seating capacity is around 800. How many do they normally get to 4CC?

Docklands was used for the Junior World Speed Skating a few years ago. It was fantastic to see and was a great venue for it.

starrynight

I guess the ability to sell out 4CC depends on whether there is a particular Japanese star present.

Of course Australia is also an appealing holiday destination because it is summer in the middle of Northern Hemisphere winter.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Hmmm it is probably about time a 4CC came to Melbourne.

My only concern is cost. Unless they can get the sponsorship and audience numbers, it will be very expensive to host if they have to hire a venue and set up a rink.

The JGP was held at Boondall rink which is an established facility. It is more about if they use a venue that you have to hire and then lay ice down, it becomes very costly.

You could hold it at Docklands rink, but the seating capacity is around 800. How many do they normally get to 4CC?

Docklands was used for the Junior World Speed Skating a few years ago. It was fantastic to see and was a great venue for it.

From memory, losing the 2000 World Championships put a dent in ISA's finances.

I am wondering how much of the hosting costs will be offset by the ISU, corporate sponsorship, state government input, and television rights.

Certainly, as Aussie Willy points out, running the competition at a dedicated facility is far cheaper that hiring a venue like Hisense Arena and setting up a temporary sheet of ice for the event.

The Junior Grand Prix of Brisbane was well attended for several reasons. Online publicity ran for months, and of course, admission was free. It may have been held during a school holiday period as well.

Four Continents outside Japan and Canada seem to be not that well attended, either.

Gymnastics Australia got full houses each night for the 2005 World Championships at Rod Laver. I wonder what the secret was to its success?

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Other than a shot at Montreal Worlds, I see no live skating in my future for the next two years. :( It's all inaccessible, and that includes the @$%&* Skate America deciders who keep putting it far away from DC.

I would love to go to Stockholm, where I've never been, so I'm going to root for that for 2021. :D

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode

The ISU requires a minimum 10,000 seating capacity to host a Championship event. I imagine Docklands will be the official practice rink, but they couldn't hold it there.

And if Hanyu is still competing by 2021 I wouldn't be at all surprised if they managed a decent crowd. Plus, as @starrynight pointed out, we might even pick up a few who just want to get away from the Northern Hemisphere winter.

starrynight

I'm also sure that given the rarity of a competition like 4CC in Australia that plenty of Australian students/followers of skating will want to travel to attend. I think the last time we got something like this was probably the Goodwill Games in 2001.

After all, the Spanish Fed managed to put on 2 very successful Grand Prix Finals.

There's a possibility this could also attract some government funding. They've been known to fund things like ballet performances to further cultural tourism. So it's possible this could get similar backing.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
The timing could be a touch problematic - it will be just after school goes back for the year. But I suppose that could be a bonus, they could invite school groups to watch. I think novelty could play a part. And the Victorian State Government always seems to be happy enough to splash some funding around for big sporting events. It'll fill a nice hole in their calendar, too - there won't be any cricket because the Tests will still be ongoing (they're going for a later schedule next year), it's after the tennis, and it's too early for the F1 and the football.

I hope they can nab a corporate sponsor or two. I've always thought that if they tried for an event like this, they should try to nab one of the airlines. Qantas flies basically everywhere in the 4CCs and it could reduce some of the financial strain if they could get some kind of deal for flights for the athletes and officials.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
The ISU requires a minimum 10,000 seating capacity to host a Championship event. I imagine Docklands will be the official practice rink, but they couldn't hold it there.
Where on the ISU website that it says what the capacity must be? I found the communication that calls for applications but it doesn't mention that.

https://www.isu.org/docman-document...munications/16094-isu-communication-2144/file

Wait a minute. Junior World Speed was held at Docklands? So if they require a venue of 10,000 seating, does that also apply to speed skating?

As for grants from the Victorian State Government, they are pretty generous for the big sports. But not sure about something like skating. I know we have received $10K for Nationals in the past. You might be lucky to get $20K for an international event.

Last edited:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I believe the 10,000 capacity is for Worlds. Euros and 4CC has a lower capacity.

lexeoe

Euros - Zagreb, Croatia

Four Continents - Melbourne, Australia & Taipei City, Taiwan

Junior Worlds - Taipei City, Taiwan

Worlds - Zagreb, Croatia, Milan, Italy, Seoul, South Korea, Bratislava, Slovakia & Stockholm, Sweden
i think safe to say worlds will be between Bratislava and Stockholm with a slight edge to Stockholm. Seoul is hosting 4CC the year before.

Last edited:

whiteskates

i think safe to say worlds will be between Bratislava and Stockholm with a slight edge to Stockholm. Seoul is hosting 4CC the year before.

I hope you're right and hope that it will be Stockholm. It is of course more expensive than Bratislava but I want it anyway. i think Helsinki last year was sold out and it is even more expensive than Stockholm. Figure skating isn't a big sport in Sweden but if it's Worlds it will sell out anyway because of all the foreign visitors. The arena where it will probably be at takes 16 000.

Anyasnake

China will either get GPF 2020 or Cup of China 2021 will be the test event.
If it's CoC 2021, there is going to be some hardcore politicking to get one's skaters there... it won't be Cup of Disaster anymore :lol:

insideedgeua

With 2019 Four Continents being moved to Anaheim, does anyone know the name of the arena where this will be held please?

I'm sure I read it somewhere on FSU but I can't find it again now.

meggonzo

Banned Member
With 2019 Four Continents being moved to Anaheim, does anyone know the name of the arena where this will be held please?

I'm assuming Honda Center. I don't know if there's another venue in Anaheim?

Sylvia

TBD

I'm assuming Honda Center. I don't know if there's another venue in Anaheim?
Yes, Honda Center - I replied here (ETA: along with practice rink info): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-4cc-to-anaheim-ca.102069/page-2#post-5358623

Late reply to:
Shouldn't this be February?
Yes, sorry for my mistake... re-posting a corrected list - Provisional allotments already known:

ISU Figure Skating Championships 2019
Europeans: Minsk, Belarus, January 21-27
Four Continents: Anaheim, California, February 4-10
Junior Worlds: Zagreb Croatia, March 4-10
Worlds: Saitama City, Japan, March 18-24

ISU Figure Skating Championships 2020
Europeans: Graz, Austria, January 20-26
Four Continents: Seoul, Korea, February 3-9
Junior Worlds: Tallinn, Estonia, March 2-8
Worlds: Montreal, Canada, March 16-22

Last edited:

npavel

Any information about Japan Worlds next year? The prices are going up and I can't book before I have tickets (sorry if it is the wrong place to ask)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information