Bids for ISU Championships 2021

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Euros - Zagreb, Croatia

Four Continents - Melbourne, Australia & Taipei City, Taiwan

Junior Worlds - Taipei City, Taiwan

Worlds - Zagreb, Croatia, Milan, Italy, Seoul, South Korea, Bratislava, Slovakia & Stockholm, Sweden

cholla

Marquessa of Chartreuse
My choice for Worlds is obvious :saint: Milan, Zagreb, Bratislava or Stockholm. Preferably Stockholm since it's one of my fave cities in the world. And Milan is a 4h drive. But we've just been there !

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I'm guessing Hisense Arena is the most likely venue. A 10,000 minimum capacity is required for an ISU Championship event, and Hisense Arena hosts Disney on Ice and has also had ice hockey played there in the past. Presumably official practices could also be held at the O'Brien Group Arena, since the tram that stops outside Hisense goes right down to that rink (takes about 20-30 minutes). Hisense is also in with the Rod Laver Arena and across from the MCG so it's right in there with excellent public transport facilities and not too far from the CBD and a lot of accommodation. I think it would work out very well.

Anyasnake

About time there's a 4CC in Australia ! Well it could be really great, since it's in the pre-Olympic year, no one is going to skip it. Anyway, Aussies FSUsers, I hope Melbourne will get it, and you'll be able to go.

As for Worlds, anything but Seoul, because I need it in European time. Preferably Stockholm or Bratislava since we already had Milan this year and there's Zagreb for Europeans.

2019 - Japan / 2020 - Canada / 2021 - Europe : sounds legit to me.

Still hoping for Europeans 2022 in France, Lyon or Paris, preferably Paris, I can just imagine the attendance 3/4 weeks before the Games :biggrinbo (With Paris 2024 being the next stop, they can definitely bid for it).

Dream of mine for the years to come : Europeans in Spain, 4CC in Brazil, Worlds somewhere completely crazy. Or something like Ireland or UK ! Or GPF in the UK.
Figure skating needs a lot more of global coverage.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

There would certainly be a lot of tourism interest from Japan if Four Continents are held in Melbourne. I know that when I attended the world championships in Helsinki last year, most of the passengers on my flight from Tokyo were heading to the event.

I can't tell from this clip. But the floor area at Hisense appears large enough to hold an Olympic rink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrhdgQW1eGY

Anyasnake

There would certainly be a lot of tourism interest from Japan if Four Continents are held in Melbourne. I know that when I attended the world championships in Helsinki last year, most of the passengers on my flight from Tokyo were heading to the event.
I just cannot imagine if Yuzuru and Shoma keeps skating, and skating well, the amount of crazy money Japanese fans are going to spend to see them ! I could totally see 4CC with Yuzuru in Melbourne. I have a feeling he'll go until 2022.
(Plus he doesn't have his 4CC title. YET :lol:)
(Thank you Japanese fans, you make this sport very alive)

manhn

What is the weather like in Taiwan that time of year? I have been wanting to go and I have never attended a Jr Worlds.

SamuraiK

Since Euros and JW have only one country bidding we can give those for granted which will exclude Zagreb for Worlds and Taipei for 4CC. That means AUS will finally have its ISU championship!!:cheer2:

As for Worlds, maybe unpopular opinion around here but I bet ISU is salivating at the Seoul idea. It will be first Worlds in a growing federation like KOR and JPN fans will also be there in ordes. Milan is too recent, Zagreb can't have both and SVK/SWE are not really skating crazy countries.

Seerek

Sorry if I missed this in another thread, but does that mean that the designated "Olympic Test Event" for Beijing 2022 Olympics would/could be 2020 Cup of China?

Sylvia

TBD
Provisional allotments already known:

ISU Figure Skating Championships 2019
Europeans: Minsk, Belarus, January 21-27
Four Continents: Colorado Springs, CO Anaheim, California, February 4-10 (eta: I forgot to change the location when I posted)
Junior Worlds: Zagreb Croatia, March 4-10
Worlds: Saitama City, Japan, March 18-24

ISU Figure Skating Championships 2020
Europeans: Graz, Austria, January 20-26
Four Continents: Seoul, Korea, January 3-9
Junior Worlds: Tallinn, Estonia, March 2-8
Worlds: Montreal, Canada, March 16-22

Last edited:

Anyasnake

GPF
2018 : Canada
2019 : France
2020 : ? That could be the test event
2021 : probably Japan... it's always Japan in an Olympic year

SamuraiK

Provisional allotments already known:

ISU Figure Skating Championships 2019
Europeans: Minsk, Belarus, January 21-27
Four Continents: Colorado Springs, CO, February 4-10
Junior Worlds: Zagreb Croatia, March 4-10
Worlds: Saitama City, Japan, March 18-24

4CC 2019 have been moved to Annaheim, CA according to ISU communication 2124. I guess some complained skaters will be finishing their programs almost dead and out of breath again in Colorado

https://www.isu.org/decisions-of-the-isu-council/15290-isu-communication-2124/file

hanca

Values her privacy
We seriously need worlds 2021 in Europe, the time differences the next two years will kill me:p Go Stockholm!!
Go Bratislava. Stockholm is quite an expensive place; in Bratislava the food and accommodation would be much cheaper.

S

SmallFairy

Go Bratislava. Stockholm is quite an expensive place; in Bratislava the food and accommodation would be much cheaper.
I know. But Stockholm is my favourite city. It's so beautiful. And everything is cheaper than Norway anyway;)

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Hmmm it is probably about time a 4CC came to Melbourne.

My only concern is cost. Unless they can get the sponsorship and audience numbers, it will be very expensive to host if they have to hire a venue and set up a rink.

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
i'd love to see Stockholm get 2021 Worlds!! i've always wanted to go there. Fingers crossed lol.

ninjapirate

Junior Worlds did not have that many people last time it was in Taiwan(though far more than in Sofia).

I really wish they would just find one location that would get a crowd and hold it there every year.

starrynight

Hmmm it is probably about time a 4CC came to Melbourne.

My only concern is cost. Unless they can get the sponsorship and audience numbers, it will be very expensive to host if they have to hire a venue and set up a rink.

I think the novelty might draw a crowd. I recall the JGP in Brisbane was very well attended.

SamuraiK

Junior Worlds did not have that many people last time it was in Taiwan(though far more than in Sofia).

I really wish they would just find one location that would get a crowd and hold it there every year.

The only country right now that would draw a large crowd to a junior event is Japan. so unless they are willing to offer JPN the default location to each year, ISU just has to keep chosing the only fed (TPE) that actually bothers to bid for the events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information