Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Brendan Kerry will vie for the overall Challenger Series podium at Golden Spin. He scored 222.4 at USIFS and needs 222.47 to surpass Aaron. (Petrov is almost certain to pass Aaron and Kerry in Zagreb.)

Oooh, he could do that. Very possible. That would be great for him! And a win for the little country skaters on the CS!

Seerek

Quite the quick turnaround coming up for the Australian skaters competing in nationals this week.

Next week:

Kailani Craine, Brooklee Han and Brendan Kerry in Zagreb for Golden Spin

Alexandrovskaya & Windsor in Marseille for the Junior Grand Prix Final.

misskarne

Kimberley Hew-Low and Timothy McKernan will also be at Golden Spin. They'll be looking for SD minimums I think, for 4CCs.

misskarne

We have too many skaters too close to minimums this season! I hope everyone who's really close gets them! I would hate to see someone miss a 4CC spot because of a few tenths of a point :(

misskarne

Kimberly and Timothy got the SD minimum at Golden Spin! :cheer: This now maxes out our 4CC spots to three dance teams!

Brendan Kerry will vie for the overall Challenger Series podium at Golden Spin. He scored 222.4 at USIFS and needs 222.47 to surpass Aaron. (Petrov is almost certain to pass Aaron and Kerry in Zagreb.)

Bad news. After the judges finished royally screwing him over in the FS, not only had Brendan slipped to fifth, his total score was 221.97. :angryfire:angryfire

Marco

Congratulations on an impressive 8th place finish and a clean 3flip3loop in the short at Golden Spin for Kailani Craine. Good luck at 4CCs!

The flutz is still a big issue. Perhaps she should switch to a 3sal in the short?!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Craine has sometimes been compared to Medvedeva in looks and style.

I really see the connection with her short and free programs this year, right down to the hand movements and gloves, too.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
There was a nice story on Alexandrovskaya & Windsor on ABC TV news tonight, showing them training at Canterbury, and interviews with both them and their coaches - her English is coming along very well. I've never seen so many stories in the mainstream press about Australian skaters!
This is the online (text) version with photos: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-...e-sports-next-big-thing/8146714?section=sport

DE93

There was a nice story on Alexandrovskaya & Windsor on ABC TV news tonight, showing them training at Canterbury, and interviews with both them and their coaches - her English is coming along very well. I've never seen so many stories in the mainstream press about Australian skaters!
This is the online (text) version with photos: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-...e-sports-next-big-thing/8146714?section=sport

Love it! I have such a soft spot for this team - back when Harley was 11 years old, him and his mom came up to Ontario to train and they stayed with us and had Christmas at our house. I've been following Harley's skating journey ever since then - I'm very happy to see him have success at such a high level!

Sylvia

TBD
Team Australia's 2016-17 international assignments as of 12/28/16: https://media.wix.com/ugd/793a42_15686e78a6f5492893bfd5287b75c678.pdf

2017 Four Continents (Feb. 14-19 in Gangneung, Korea):
Ladies (2): Kailani Craine, Brooklee Han
Men (3): Brendan Kerry, Andrew Dodds, Mark Webster
Pair (1): Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya/Harley Windsor
Dance (2): Matilda Friend/William Badaoui, Adele Morrison/Demid Rokachev

2017 Asian Winter Games (Feb. 19-26 in Sapporo, Japan):
Kailani Craine; Brendan Kerry; Paris Stephens/Matthew Dodds; Matilda Friend/William Badaoui

Australian article on Kailani Craine: http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-make-australian-skating-history-video-photos

Princessroja

How does Australia do their assignments? I was looking at the junior ladies entries and Holly Harris only has 1 for the spring, Amelia Jackson has 2, Lia Webb-McDougall has 3--but she only came in 9th at nationals this year. Hannah Kim and Jocelyn Chan have 1 each, and they were 13th and 14th at nationals, while Jordan Lazarus, silver at nats, has none, nor do Shania Sime and Lucy Sori Yun, the 4th and 5th place finishers. Can anyone shed any light on the selection process?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
For events other than the main ones, skaters can apply to do events and then ISA give them the go ahead to attend. It is also a matter of money for most skaters as there is limited funding so they pay their own way.

misskarne

I'm more in a flap over not seeing Paris and Matthew on that list anywhere between now and 4CC. They're only three tenths short! I would hate to see them miss out on 4CC over three measly tenths!

Princessroja

For events other than the main ones, skaters can apply to do events and then ISA give them the go ahead to attend. It is also a matter of money for most skaters as there is limited funding so they pay their own way.

Oh, that makes sense. An interesting system!

Marco

Team Australia's 2016-17 international assignments as of 12/28/16: https://media.wix.com/ugd/793a42_15686e78a6f5492893bfd5287b75c678.pdf

2017 Four Continents (Feb. 14-19 in Gangneung, Korea):
Ladies (2): Kailani Craine, Brooklee Han
Men (3): Brendan Kerry, Andrew Dodds, Mark Webster
Pair (1): Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya/Harley Windsor
Dance (2): Matilda Friend/William Badaoui, Adele Morrison/Demid Rokachev

2017 Asian Winter Games (Feb. 19-26 in Sapporo, Japan):
Kailani Craine; Brendan Kerry; Paris Stephens/Matthew Dodds; Matilda Friend/William Badaoui

Australian article on Kailani Craine: http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-make-australian-skating-history-video-photos

Is the sole ladies spot for Worlds dependent on 4CCs placement? Love that she is so confident! Please just nail your short!

Sylvia

TBD
2017 Four Continents Championships results:

Men:
11 Brendan KERRY AUS 227.39 10 11 - 3 new ISU personal best scores of 78.11 (SP), 149.28 (FS) and Total
20 Andrew DODDS AUS 162.05 19 21 - 2 new ISU PBs of 101.88 (FS) and Total
21 Mark WEBSTER AUS 160.03 20 20 - 3 new ISU PBs of 54.92 (SP), 105.11 (FS) and Total

Ladies:
14 Brooklee HAN AUS 152.05 16 14 - 2 new ISU personal best scores of 103.61 (FS - 6 triples landed, 1 < call) and Total
16 Kailani CRAINE AUS 136.91 13 17 - 1 new ISU PB of 54.70 (SP)

Pair:
11 Ekaterina ALEXANDROVSKAYA / Harley WINDSOR AUS 154.10 11 11 (going to Junior & Senior Worlds)

Dance:
14 Adele MORRISON / Demid ROKACHEV AUS 96.35 14 14 - 3 ISU personal best scores of 37.87 (SD), 58.48 (FD) and Total
15 Matilda FRIEND / William BADAOUI AUS 89.29 16 15 - 2 ISU PBs of 56.54 (FD) and Total
16 Kimberley HEW-LOW / Timothy MCKERNAN AUS 84.97 15 16

For those wondering about Australia's World team selection criteria, this is the relevant document: http://media.wix.com/ugd/793a42_66365e83d13349cc8d8d72ff60e70e44.pdf
Relevant excerpt:

(b) If more than one (1) athlete in each discipline has met the above requirements, athletes will be ranked and selected based on the athletes total TES achieved at two (2) Senior ISU Championships or ISU International Events during the current International Skating Season.

(c) The nominations will be published on the ISA website (www.isa.org.au) after the completion of the Four Continents Championships 2017. Subsequently ranked athletes will be entered as substitutes.

From what I can tell, Kailani Craine's combined TES in her two best international competitions -- 2016 CS Warsaw Cup (85.30) & Volvo Cup (76.03) = 161.33 -- is higher than Brooklee Han's 2017 4CC (79.95) & 2016 CS Golden Spin (66.83) = 146.78.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information