Alysa Liu retired in 2022 and is coming back in 2024

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Part of the complaint issue with Tara was that the reasons she gave for her retirement, etc. often didn’t hold up. She didn’t got to Worlds because she was too sick with tonsillitis or something but shows up at the Oscar’s and celebrity appearances.
One can easily be unwell enough to train at a Worlds level (it was abscessed molars and a glandular infection, not tonsillitis) and still go to the Oscars. Going to the Oscars doesn't require hard physical labor. :)

But it seems to have become a cherished tradition to question the motives and the truthfulness of every Olympic champion who pulls out of Worlds, as Nathan Chen could tell us. The truth is that skaters work for the Olympics harder than for anything else in their careers, and it's not surprising if the aftermath of that peak competition leaves them feeling unwell physically and/or mentally and not fit to train. And that ought to be enough for all of us. We may feel disappointed if they don't show up when and where we expect them to, especially if they had originally planned to. And it's okay to feel disappointed. But their first duty is to themselves and their health, not to us. And they're the ones who experience the symptoms and need to make the judgment calls.

Trillian

I don’t blame Tara at all - this was all stage mommy’s (and Tara’s agent’s) doing to cash in, and frankly, IMO, keep her from risking losing to Michelle or any other top level skater ever again. If they had just said, “Goals accomplished, she wants to move on,” a lot of the angst and discussion would have never occurred.

We were in a different place culturally back then, so who knows how people would have reacted to that framing. A lot of fans have grown up too - I’m about the same age as Tara and Michelle, so my perspective as a fellow teen back then was obviously different from my perspective as the parent of a teen now. But in a broader sense, I do think there’s thankfully much more awareness about the fact that athletes need to prioritize their physical and mental health, and understanding of how young athletes can be exploited by adults in so many different ways. The world is a different place for Alysa than it was for Tara or Michelle, fortunately.

dewey

Alyssa has spent the past two years training and competing under pandemic restrictions. Then there came evidence that the Chinese government is still tracking her father and possibly approached her at the Olympics. Finally, she found out at the Olympics that at least one (and probably more) of her competitors was not competing cleanly. I don’t blame her for not wanting to do this anymore.

Lacey

Alyssa has spent the past two years training and competing under pandemic restrictions. Then there came evidence that the Chinese government is still tracking her father and possibly approached her at the Olympics. Finally, she found out at the Olympics that at least one (and probably more) of her competitors was not competing cleanly. I don’t blame her for not wanting to do this anymore.
Yes, I wonder how much of Alysa's "retirement" option was suggested by her father. As his daughter, he has the right to suggest her future, and she is still a child, far from an adult. I think we have not yet heard, and may never hear, the full story of the Chinese influence on his life, and if they were hinting that they would interfere with his child Alysa, I think he might have suggested that she had done enough, which technically Alysa already has done with her skating. If he wants to pull her out and get her and them out of the spotlight, I think I understand. Exit left with your head held high.
Does anyone besides me think there is a WHAT HAPPENED in here somewhere. Alysa's last post was odd.

Maybe we should happily let her go into her next life. Greatest luck to her!

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Yes, I wonder how much of Alysa's "retirement" option was suggested by her father. As his daughter, he has the right to suggest her future, and she is still a child, far from an adult. I think we have not yet heard, and may never hear, the full story of the Chinese influence on his life, and if they were hinting that they would interfere with his child Alysa, I think he might have suggested that she had done enough, which technically Alysa already has done with her skating. If he wants to pull her out and get her and them out of the spotlight, I think I understand. Exit left with your head held high.

Maybe we should happily let her go into her next life. Greatest luck to her!
Suggest? Are you kidding? Alysa is a minor, and her father has control of anything she does or wants to do. That is the law.
Obviously, he can't make her skate. Short of Alysa going to court to become an emancipated minor, she needs "permission in writing, to compete, travel, select a school.....and on and on.

Heavens, she needs written permission to go on a school field trip!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Suggest? Are you kidding? Alysa is a minor, and her father has control of anything she does or wants to do. That is the law.
Obviously, he can't make her skate. Short of Alysa going to court to become an emancipated minor, she needs "permission in writing, to compete, travel, select a school.....and on and on.

Actually, no, he doesn't. He can't control her healthcare decisions since she is 16 and I know that California gives medical/healthcare decision authority over to minors over a certain age. She also can obtain a driver's license and doesn't need a parent/legal guardian signature for that. She can also have a bank account in her name. She has, I'm sure, plenty of agency and control over her life, even if she doesn't have the right to vote or buy a house yet.

skatfan

Wow - that’s not how it works with any sane parent of a teenager these days. Alysa was basically away from her dad while traveling in Europe for her ice time and coaching, and then in Colorado she was in a dorm with adults, and before that she spent her days at the rink while her father worked.

Now’s she’s been skating in Japan on Tour with more adults and has started a National tour also with adults. She has her own income and a cell phone so a lot of independence.

@Karen-W notes things I didn’t know about California minors.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Short of Alysa going to court to become an emancipated minor, she needs "permission in writing, to compete, travel, select a school.....and on and on.
No, she doesn't. This is completely wrong.
  • You don't need written permission from a parent to travel unless there are some court orders involved (i.e., custody battles).
  • You don't need permission to attend college especially if you are paying for it
  • Anyone can declare themselves financially independent from their parents as long as the parent can't prove they gave the kids over a certain amount of money per year, as well. You don't even have to fill out any forms or go to court to do it.

Parents have soft power over teenagers but little hard power. I'm sure Alysa looks to her father for advice and guidance. But I'm also sure she had enough money and freedom that he has little recourse if she wants to do something he doesn't want her to.

OTOH, there is no indication that Alysa doesn't want to retire.

He can't control her healthcare decisions since she is 16 and I know that California gives medical/healthcare decision authority over to minors over a certain age.
Age 12. Though I believe there are exceptions. But my kids could go in to see their pediatrician without me at age 12 and I was no longer allowed access to their medical records without their permission as well. So that's how my medical group interpretes the law.

Allskate

OTOH, there is no indication that Alysa doesn't want to retire.
Yes. The comments she apparently made on Instagram Live while on tour seem to show that she wants to retire. It seems unlikely that she would be making these comments if her father wanted her to retire but she did not want to retire. All these posts about what Alysa is allowed to do under the law seem pretty irrelevant.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I’m trying to remember the part of my teenage years where my parents were providing permission IN WRITING all the time for me to cross state lines, engage in hobbies, and do things at college. Pretty sure I remember just doing whatever.

You need parent permission on school field trips/activities for liability reasons, not because the law says kids need WRITTEN PERMISSION TO TRAVEL. :lol:

AxelAnnie

Wow - that’s not how it works with any sane parent of a teenager these days. Alysa was basically away from her dad while traveling in Europe for her ice time and coaching, and then in Colorado she was in a dorm with adults, and before that she spent her days at the rink while her father worked.

Now’s she’s been skating in Japan on Tour with more adults and has started a National tour also with adults. She has her own income and a cell phone so a lot of independence.
Ct c

AxelAnnie

Sorry but it still works that way. Alysa is a minor. Her father must approve anything she does. It is a legal matter and there is nothing she can do without written permission from her father. No company (airline,bus etc) is going to let her on without express permission by her legal.

Can you imagine the lawsuit that would rain down on any company that let her travel without express permission
PERIOD!
Given that Alysa resides in CA that is the applicable law.

Now I adore Alysa. She seems to have a good head on her shoulders.

I think we can assume she and her father sit down and plan out the year. And she still needs.written permission to do just about anything
Don't you remember having to get your parent to sign the permission slip for you to get on the bus for a field trip? The bus isn't going to let you on without a Permission Slip signed by a parent?
Ah good times.

And just for some context. I raised 5 teenagers. Yep 5.
I was a legal secretary. My X is an attorney...as is my brother, one of my stepson.

Good times. Good times

AxelAnnie

No, she doesn't. Show us the rules and laws that require this. There aren't any.

Maybe if one of our five kids was a World Champion figure skater, you'd know that.
That is pretty funny.

You are missing the point. A minor could be flying to ..gasp! A competition, to visit friend across the country....what ever....she still needs parental consent before getting on the plane. She even needs parental consent to tour. I would assume ISU has the paperwork for all the skaters on the tour.

let's say the minor is injured and needs medical attention that is not life threatening.
The child needs to have someone who is designated to make decisions.
So, Alysa is abroad. She still needs someone who is legally responsible. Someone who authorized to make those decisions.

Alysa could travel all over...and she still needs someone who is authorized to make decisions.

Even if she is on tour, even if she surrounded by lots of adults she still needs someone to speak on her behalf.
BTW....who says she has her own income? I would imagine her winnings are put in a Trust Fund that she does not access to until whatever age is stipulated in the trust.
Parental consent form. This from United States Government.

soogar

The reaction to Tara retiring wasn't really about her leaving competitive skating, it was more about her reasons/plans. She didn't retire to go to college and/or spend more time with family and friends, she retired to tour in SOI (which was then a 3-month tour from Dec through March) and skate in pro comps. I can understand a champion skater wanting to take advantage of the pro opportunities then, but Tara was 15, in high school, and fans rightly questioned the appropriateness of it all.

If Tara's retirement announcement was along the same lines as Alysa's, I think fans would have been more supportive. When Sarah announced her retirement at 17 to go to Yale, fans were supportive.
The reaction around Tara was just more of the sour grapes that she beat Michelle Kwan. She doesn’t have to go to college. In fact, she made the smart decision because it looks like she is financially set for life. I’m glad she had professional opportunities. Oksana didn’t go to college and the reaction that she turned pro wasn’t as strong. There was some regret that she didn’t stay amateur but people understood that she was an orphan and needed to earn money.

I wish there were more pro opportunities for Alysa because she seems to enjoy performing.

AxelAnnie

Actually, no, he doesn't. He can't control her healthcare decisions since she is 16 and I know that California gives medical/healthcare decision authority over to minors over a certain age. She also can obtain a driver's license and doesn't need a parent/legal guardian signature for that. She can also have a bank account in her name. She has, I'm sure, plenty of agency and control over her life, even if she doesn't have the right to vote or buy a house yet.
The only health care decisions that kick in at 16 is for an abortion. And that is based on case law and not statute.

olympic

Watching Isabeau and Lindsey skate at Jr. Worlds, it would be something to have seen Alysa stay and compete, giving the US incredible depth and quite charged head-to-head competitions at Nationals. Alas ...

once_upon

Better off than 2020
That is pretty funny.

You are missing the point. A minor could be flying to ..gasp! A competition, to visit friend across the country....what ever....she still needs parental consent before getting on the plane. .
The DOT in the US does not have restrictions or requirements that a child needs permission from parents to purchase, board or fly. The airline might, but I don't think they do.

Basically any teen with a credit card can purchase and board and travel on an airplane without parent permission. Some airlines require a child under the age of 11 or 12 to be a companies by adult, but most don't have restrictions for over 12.

Back to Alysa - I have zero reason to believe she is controlled by her father. I also think that if he was controlling her career in a way she didn't want, she could seek a declaration for emancipation and most likely has funds and support to achieve that status.

No, I believe this is her decision based on what she feels is best for her.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
A minor could be flying to ..gasp! A competition, to visit friend across the country....what ever....she still needs parental consent before getting on the plane. She even needs parental consent to tour. I would assume ISU has the paperwork for all the skaters on the tour.
The ISU does not control the SOI tour. So you have proved the saying that when you assume, you .....

let's say the minor is injured and needs medical attention that is not life threatening.
The child needs to have someone who is designated to make decisions.
The only health care decisions that kick in at 16 is for an abortion. And that is based on case law and not statute.
Not in CA when they are aged 12 and over.

Parental consent form. This from United States Government.
That is a form that is recommended when one parent is traveling with a child along to say that the other parent says it's okay. It's not required (I flew with my 3-year-old without it) and it is not applicable to this situation anyway.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Smart of Alysa to retire while she is still on top. Keeping ahead of those two would be hard work!

Alysa managed to do very well against some intense competition in the past. I doubt that the quality of the US skaters coming up had anything to do with her decision to retire.

Sylvia

TBD
USFS' Fan Zone article by Rachel Lutz (April 19):
Excerpts:
Liu admitted that if it had taken her another quadrennial to complete those goals, she would have stayed in the sport longer. The combination of the grind of training, stress of competition, and time spent away from family and friends was taking its toll, she said. The decision to end her career now gives her back some of her teenage years before they pass her by.
"What I'm trying to say is, now that I'm done, I can have more time to see my friends and family, which is honestly what I want more than anything right now," she said. "I think I choose my friends and family over skating. At the same time, I feel like I did everything I wanted to do in skating. It feels not like a sacrifice – but more like I'm graduating."
Liu remains unbothered by the surprise that her retirement elicited in the community.
"Honestly, I didn't really expect any reaction because I didn't really care," she said of the response to her announcement. "I felt like I had nothing to worry about any more now that I'm done. I felt like once I retired, I wouldn't care anymore. I don't really know what too many people are saying about it, but I kind of like it that way."
"I plan to get my driver's license – I still need to do that," she said, as if to emphasize to anyone who has forgotten just how young she still is despite spending several deserved seasons in the spotlight.
Liu has also begun her college application process and plans to attend in the fall of 2023. (She finished high school in June 2021 at age 15.) She said the application process is going well, but there's no need to rush any decisions at this point.
"I play the piano, so I'm going to get more into it," she said when asked about other pursuits. "Because of skating, I couldn't play as much, so I'm going to pick it up again."
Liu also plans to spend more time with her friends and family. Some friends, she said, she saw for what is likely the last time at the World Championships. Many of them knew of her decision to retire in advance, but otherwise Liu kept the news to herself.

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
"Honestly, I didn't really expect any reaction because I didn't really care," she said of the response to her announcement. "I felt like I had nothing to worry about any more now that I'm done. I felt like once I retired, I wouldn't care anymore. I don't really know what too many people are saying about it, but I kind of like it that way."

Alysa's attitude is refreshing. I'm so happy for her she's retiring on her own terms. However, as a fan, it's disappointing she's not continuing at least one more year--figure skating desperately needs her give-no-fcks attitude.

Last edited:

bardtoob

"What I'm trying to say is, now that I'm done, I can have more time to see my friends and family, which is honestly what I want more than anything right now," she said. "I think I choose my friends and family over skating. At the same time, I feel like I did everything I wanted to do in skating. It feels not like a sacrifice – but more like I'm graduating."

(y)

AxelAnnie

Give it a rest. It's her choice and she owes no one anything. And there's no reason to suspect her father controls her. Respect her decision and move on.
Point missed. This is a legal matter. I assume that Alysa and her father have put a great deal of thought into this decision. It haks nothing to do with owing anyone anything. And, she needs consent from her father or guardian to do most things. It is not a bad thing, nor a negative thing. It is designed to protect Alysa.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

The tone of this thread reminds me of when Rosalyn Sumners skipped the 1984 World Championships and Tiffany Chin was injured.

Future USFSA President, Claire Ferguson, forgot to list any alternates and as a result, only Elaine Zayak was able to attend.
Fortunately, she medaled and didn't leave the administration looking completely foolish.

But I do feel sorry for Katherine Adams, who would potentially have been given that coveted second spot.

Nathan may have passed over the World Championships, but we saw some terrific skates from Vincent Zhou and Camden Pulkinen instead!

Knowing some of the athletes personally, training at the elite level takes such a hit on their finances and free time, to have achieved their goals and moving on would still be a difficult decision, knowing how much they've given to the sport and to some degree, how it has defined them.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
@AxelAnnie you keep on insisting that teens need consent of parents to access healthcare, to travel, to do many things. That parents must legally be involved in their teens life. It simply is not true. Many teens can seek healthcare without parent consent, not just in reproductive decisions, but vaccinations, surgical treatments, etc. Even some of those teens are responsible for the medical treatment of their own children. I've cared for teens who have been in control of their own decisions regarding cancer treatments, substance abuse treatments. I've seen a 15 year old needing to give consent to treat their premature infant. Teens make their own healthcare decisions.

Again you insist that air travel, financial decisions are controlled by parents - also not true. Teens can manage their own income.

I believe that Alysa is world savvy enough to escape any control her parent might have over her career. She says she accomplished her goals, she said she is ready to move on. Let's let her do so and celebrate with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information