Alysa Liu retired in 2022 and is coming back in 2024

MsZem

I see the sea
Alysa's announcement in a way reminds me of when Jeff Buttle announced he was retiring, saying he was happy with all he'd accomplished in his career. I remember people were shocked, as he'd just won Worlds and people thought he was in a good place heading into Vancouver in less than 2 years.
I was thinking of him too! Buttle was older, of course, but they both seem to have had similar motivations for walking away. I don't think he regretted it, either.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I am surprised that people are surprised. On FSU people were speculating that Alysa would retire and go to college well before this announcement. For me, it seemed quite likely. I did expect the announcement to wait until the Fall (after the Star on Ice tour was over) but I did expect the announcement. I would have been more surprised if she continued.

I like the idea of her enrolling in Public school in order to have social experiences such as Prom and Homecoming, belonging to clubs, etc. I have no idea if she is interested in that but from her Instagram feed, I get the impression she'd enjoy it very much.

sk9tingfan

I am surprised that people are surprised. On FSU people were speculating that Alysa would retire and go to college well before this announcement. For me, it seemed quite likely. I did expect the announcement to wait until the Fall (after the Star on Ice tour was over) but I did expect the announcement. I would have been more surprised if she continued.

I like the idea of her enrolling in Public school in order to have social experiences such as Prom and Homecoming, belonging to clubs, etc. I have no idea if she is interested in that but from her Instagram feed, I get the impression she'd enjoy it very much.
She graduated from high school last June. Unless she goes to one of the big colleges that feature homecoming, it's unlikely that will occur. Her current top choices of Stanford, Barnard and UC Berkeley.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
She graduated from high school last June. Unless she goes to one of the big colleges that feature homecoming, it's unlikely that will occur. Her current top choices of Stanford, Barnard and UC Berkeley.
First of all, she said that she didn't meet the deadline to apply to colleges for a Fall start. So she's not going to go to college to have these experiences this year. Second, many many colleges of all sizes have Homecoming. It's not just big schools. Though that is irrelevant since that's not the suggestion. The suggestion is to spend her Gap Year doing typical HS Senior social stuff.

Yes, she has technically graduated from HS but could still enroll in the local public High School, especially a charter school. At least around here as there are several options that she's be eligible for. And private schools, while more expensive, would welcome her with open arms.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Barnard is across the country...and they have weather there. Non-starter.
Universities have a lot to gain by admitting stars..movies...skating...OLY winners [FYI....
An Olympic gold medal winner had colleges contacting him with offers to enroll. The did not care about an essay.

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Universities have a lot to gain by admitting stars..movies...skating...OLY winners [FYI....
An Olympic gold medal winner had colleges contacting him with offers to enroll. The did not care about an essay.
??? Not getting your drift regarding the last statement. Yes, I know about top notch colleges who contact individuals to apply. my best friend's daughter was sent an application from Harvard to which she was accepted on an early admission basis.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
It's also NYC and Alysa is very much a city kid. Plus, she's lived much of her life in an ice rink. The weather won't phase her. Barnard seems very much up her alley. Moreso than Stanford, tbh. And Berkeley... Where's the excitement in that for her? She's lived in that area her entire life. I hope she does get into and goes to Barnard.

skatfan

I know Alyssa has completed HS as a home schooler. She is too late for college applications for 2022/2023. She should enrol in her local high school, up grade her marks or take some different courses and then live her Sr year. Homecoming, Prom, graduation. Just enjoy the experience.
Wtf? Join a high school she’s never attended for a senior year and try to make friends with other seniors who already have their friends and are looking to stay in their cliques? No way.

Instead she can take online college courses now and hang with her friend group that she already has from skating and other places.

Badams

I'm a little bummed that Alysa won't be competing this next cycle, but good for her for finishing her skating career on her own terms. I hope she chooses whatever makes her the happiest. She's obviously an overachiever, so I'm sure she's already got any idea what her next steps will be.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
These are Alysa's top choices. I'm pretty sure she knows where Barnard is and that they "have weather."

Foolhardy Ham Lint

In the scheme of things, I wonder if Liu thought by staying, she could have become world champion next year.

Given that the event will be in Japan, and if Sakamoto remains eligible, Kaori is probably too strong and too consistent a skater to beat.

Now I am wondering if Bell will stick around, too.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I think it's great that Alysa wants to continue her education, and wherever she wants to do it is up to her. There are plenty of universities and colleges that do an excellent job of providing education, and they aren't all named Harvard and Stanford. Being an elite skater and a World medalist doesn't mean that someone is obliged to go to a well-known "brand name" institution.

pointbleu

I was just having a thought about Kaetlyn Osmond at 16, having jumps but falling all
over the place. She was a good skater for Canada but nowhere international level.

Sometimes I wonder if too much too soon caused Liu’s retirement too soon. Too much pressure, no time to grow as skater, always under the spotlight.
Maybe she would have not lasted that long anyway had she not be an early peaker. Maybe she is just that type of person who really appreciates a balanced life and would have moved in to something else regardless of her talent.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I was just having a thought about Kaetlyn Osmond at 16, having jumps but falling all
over the place. She was a good skater for Canada but nowhere international level.
Osmond won Skate Canada at 16 and, after turning 17, was 4th in the short program at Worlds. I'm not so sure that she's the best example; she was already very high-quality with massive jumps from the start of her senior competitive experience. Certainly international level.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
All of these skaters had to deal with the pandemic which caused canceled events so that they were less exposed to the public than skaters in prior quads. So I think that makes it hard to compare their careers. I also think it was helpful to Alysa because it took the pressure off for a while.

Allskate

I think it's great that Alysa wants to continue her education, and wherever she wants to do it is up to her. There are plenty of universities and colleges that do an excellent job of providing education, and they aren't all named Harvard and Stanford. Being an elite skater and a World medalist doesn't mean that someone is obliged to go to a well-known "brand name" institution.
Of course they are not obliged to do so. (In fact, many don't. Some don't attend college at all.) But, they are not prohibited from attending such colleges, either. Alysa apparently has indicated that she's interested in attending one.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Of course they are not obliged to do so. (In fact, many don't. Some don't attend college at all.) But, they are not prohibited from attending such colleges, either. Alysa apparently has indicated that she's interested in attending one.

I understand that, but there are some comments on this thread that IMO read like she would be somehow selling herself short if she didn't go to a "name" school.

feraina

Money. It's about money. Do you spend $45,000-100,000 a year on skating or do you spend it on college? For most kids, their parents can't afford both.
I agree it’s primarily about money. But it’s also about “the college experience” - which elite colleges sell to justify the expense. If the students are stretching it out, juggling other things, living at home, like many Europeans do, then they wouldn’t have as intense a college experience and it wouldn’t justify the expense.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
In the scheme of things, I wonder if Liu thought by staying, she could have become world champion next year.

Given that the event will be in Japan, and if Sakamoto remains eligible, Kaori is probably too strong and too consistent a skater to beat.

Now I am wondering if Bell will stick around, too.

Let’s see how Isabeau and the other juniors do this week. If Isabeau wins by a lot, we’ll know how the US tide might be turning.

Allskate

I understand that, but there are some comments on this thread that IMO read like she would be somehow selling herself short if she didn't go to a "name" school.
I didn't get that impression. People are discussing certain name schools because those are the names that Alysa herself has mentioned. It seems like people are more concerned with her social life before she goes to college. :D I'll put in my two cents and say that I think it would be nice if she can get in some SOI shows and other shows next year.

Areski

This decision makes little sense for me, a retirement after 1 international senior season, am I right? I am very disappointed and it's obviously a big loss for American figure skating. This made me sad. I get the impression that followed Alysa as we the spying drama etc. it is not shocking like it was for me to find out.

Last edited:

Kelvster

Like many, I wasn't all that excited when Alysa burst onto the scene ... as many aspects of her skating weren't developed

This season, there was this turning point during one of the early season competitions (Lombardia?) when I was like ... wow, this girl is now getting more polished

Then when it came to the Olympics, I remember they showed her split jump during the slow mo ... and to me it symbolized the genuine and youthful joy that she had. It was simply a delight to watch! (Contrast that with ..... the misery that we saw in the later group ...........)

Alysa will have plenty of other wonderful moments in her life ahead, and she must never forget those really joyful moments that she had on the ice.

layman

Isn't Levito something!

The last lady I can recall skating to the Russian Dance was Rosalyn Sumners in 1986.
I would hate to see Isabeau put in the same position that Alysa was put in though...over-hyped and over-pressured to the point that skating was no longer fun for her.

Is it possible to support up and coming talent without steam-rolling them with the hype machine? Can we (as fans) have more realistic expectations of these young athletes?

coppertop1

This decision makes little sense for me, a retirement after 1 international senior season, am I right? I am very disappointed and it's obviously a big loss for American figure skating. This made me sad. I get the impression that followed Alysa as we the spying drama etc. it is not shocking like it was for me to find out.
What's so hard to understand? She's happy with what she's achieved. She wants to move on. Her career, her decision. She doesnt owe anyone anything.

I would hate to see Isabeau put in the same position that Alysa was put in though...over-hyped and over-pressured to the point that skating was no longer fun for her.

Is it possible to support up and coming talent without steam-rolling them with the hype machine? Can we (as fans) have more realistic expectations of these young athletes?
Thank you! Its so frustrated to see this happen over again. I love Isabeau but she needs to work on the basics. Give her time.

giselle23

Ivy League schools are not allowed to offer scholarships. They offer need based aid only.
They have agreed not to offer merit or athletic scholarships. Ordinarily, this would raise antitrust concerns but Congress granted an exemption set to expire in September 2022 unless extended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information