Alysa Liu retired in 2022 and is coming back in 2024

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
You must be pretty young because Brian Boitano had tons of specials and attention after the Olympic. Both he and Katarina and he made millions for years after his OGM. Nathan has a great future but they aren't extending SOI shows because he's on it in the US. Brian and Kat OTOH had their own tour.
Yeah, I’m not that young and I saw Brian and Kat’s tour which as pointed out, also has Katarina who definitely appealed to more than the usual female demographic. Nathan is the first male skater I’ve seen who has had multiple endorsements and commercials during Beijing and who seems to appeal to a demographic beyond skating fans. When I talked to friends who never watch skating aside from the Olympics, they wanted to talk about Nathan. Period.

Last edited:

Lacey

Agree, I saw an interview before the free skate where she said she was going to try the 3A, but she doubted she'd ever try quads again because every time she tried them, she got injured. So much media hype on her from age 13 as a potential OGM and then it all came screeching to a halt with COVID, then the comparisons to the Russian quad ladies, and as soon as she got going again, she and her father are targeted for spying. That is just all too much.
I agree with this statement all the way through to Alysa and her father being targeted. I'd get out too. She has had a great skating life in a very protected environment, but the older she gets I don't think that would be possible, she wants fun and freedom. I also think Alysa discovered this year that she loves doing exhibitions, and hopefully she will stick around to do a few of those per year--no need for the stress of competitions, she has proven her merit in those.

dramagrrl

Do they ever have teenagers on? If so, it might be something fun for her to do and help her earn a little college money.
Gymnast Laurie Hernandez won DWTS when she was 15, and looked like she had the time of her life doing it... but I do have to add that Laurie generally looks like she's having the time of her life doing anything. ;) She has a very bubbly personality.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Although I'm not a consistent watcher, there have been many teens including Laurie Hernandez, Zendaya, Bindi Irwin, Sadie Robertson, Willow Shields, Shawn Johnson and JoJo Siwa.
As if I wasn’t already feeling in need of Prevagen, I only know 3 of those. Zendaya, a vague notion that Bindi is the Aussie whose dad did wildlife shows and Shawn the gymnast. No clue on the others.

Skating could attract younger audiences to a sport where you age out in your 20s, the raw material is there. I used to think that classical music had bought the farm and then was so happy to see a lot of millennials at a Mahler concert. But the programs and music have to be more astronaut-and-alien and less musicals that were hits 30-50 years ago.

Rob

Beach Bum
As if I wasn’t already feeling in need of Prevagen, I only know 3 of those. Zendaya, a vague notion that Bindi is the Aussie whose dad did wildlife shows and Shawn the gymnast. No clue on the others.

Skating could attract younger audiences to a sport where you age out in your 20s, the raw material is there. I used to think that classical music had bought the farm and then was so happy to see a lot of millennials at a Mahler concert. But the programs and music have to be more astronaut-and-alien and less musicals that were hits 30-50 years ago.
Laurie Hernandez, also a gymnast. Team gold, balance beam silver 2016 Rio.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The only one of those I don't know is Sadie Robertson. :) But I'm going to guess she's part of the Duck Dynasty family.

That says to me that Dancing with the Stars probably is going with the most conventional of the young people. Because there are tons of young celebrities that I hear their name and think :huh: .

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I haven't seen anything that indicates that our reigning World Champions in Pairs intend to retire. Have you?
Neither Knierim/Frazier nor Cain-Gribble/LeDuc have made any announcements regarding their competitive status next season. And, FWIW, they're still listed on the ISP for the USFS, whereas Hubbell/Donohue, who have announced they are done competing are no longer listed for Dance.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I don't think DWTS is popular with the senior set either....speaking as a senior.
Ditto ditto! I watched a couple of seasons in the ‘00s and that’s it…not even when skaters were contestants.

I believe that the last and only time that skaters other than a Purty Princessy singles-discipline woman were superstars among the traditional WASP US viewers were Torvill & Dean.

Karen-W

Ditto ditto! I watched a couple of seasons in the ‘00s and that’s it…not even when skaters were contestants.

I believe that the last and only time that skaters other than a Purty Princessy singles-discipline woman were superstars among the traditional WASP US viewers were Torvill & Dean.
Oh, how soon we forget Gordeeva & Grinkov... and how many people felt so sorry for her when she was widowed so tragically young... But, they were still very much stars and had plenty of fans amongst the general American public before Sergei died.

millyskate

Alysa skated wonderfully at worlds and I really enjoyed her performances this season. I can understand her not wanting to invest everything in the pursuit of a world gold / Olympic medal, although it's a real shame she wasn't part of the US medal-winning team in Tokyo. I think she deserved to be.

I hope she has a great time at uni.

Frau Muller

Oh, how soon we forget Gordeeva & Grinkov... and how many people felt so sorry for her when she was widowed so tragically young... But, they were still very much stars and had plenty of fans amongst the general American public before Sergei died.
Not the general public but certainly among we FS die hards. They were Soviets/Russians, after all. Sadly, Katia was most famous as a single widow…eternal purty princess. 😢

Trillian

I don’t know about “only” - Sports Guy at work who’s only a very casual viewer specifically mentioned Tai and Randy to me as his favorites from decades ago. And while I’m not old enough to remember their heyday, I’m not sure how much the general non-skating public in the U.S. actually remembers Torvill and Dean.

It’s very possible that U.S. pairs and dance teams who win medals always had a shot at being popular with the American public. Male pairs skaters and ice dancers have an advantage over male singles skaters, because most of them are performing old-fashioned heteronormativity for an audience. I suspect the general lack of popularity had more to do with never winning anything… a big part of the reason nobody cares about women’s skating now.

puglover

Very best wishes to Alysa - she will be missed.

I'm not sure how accurate this is but I read that her Dad had indicated if he had known that it was never going to be a level playing field (Russian skaters getting unfair advantage due to banned medications) he would not have supported one of his children in this pursuit. This is super bad news for the sport of figure skating. There has long been questions about the fairness of judging but I fear if nothing really changes with drug testing and more severe penalties for blatant cheating, then fewer and fewer parents will be supportive of figure skating. Alysa was compared to the Russian phenoms and it must hurt to now wonder how fair a comparison it really was.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I’ve never really watched DWTS, but I don’t get the impression it’s always that fun - I remember Suni Lee making comments about being bored in her hotel room and dancing with a much-older partner. Maybe Alysa would have a good time, but if she truly wants to be a normal teenager for a while, I suspect she’ll run in the opposite direction from something like that.
I agree, I think she's ready to be a teenager again. She did so well, it's not fair to expect her to stay for another cycle. I think she'll inspire a new generation of skaters.

Scott512

All the best to Alysa.

While it's shocking she retired I did wonder at times how much she really loved figure skating. I was thinking after the Olympics and worlds she really had an opportunity to move up among the top ladies the next couple years. But it's not to be. Alysa is only 16 but she's the decision-maker now.

I hope she loves doing shows and finishing high school and going to college.

Like others I also wonder if her retirement will be the tip of the iceberg among the ladies.

Sylvia

TBD

mtnskater

Like many here I was really surprised at Alysa’s announcement. I guess I thought she truly loved figure skating, had a ball at the Olympics and a surprise world medal and would want more of this going forward, in addition to continuing her education. I still wonder if she will miss it and try to come back at some point. We’ve seen others “retire“ and come back. Alysa has worked so hard over the last decade to achieve a lot at 16, but there remains much more room for growth and higher success. The great thing about skating is there is always something to improve on and more artistic growth to achieve. Skating may be in her blood more than she thinks at the moment. To me it seems a rather rash decision, especially with the Olympics and Worlds barely
behind her. And why cave in to the Chinese government trying to intimidate Arthur for his previous pro-democracy stance in China many years ago? I readily admit though I don’t have all the facts on that. Of course I support her education and want her to be happy and to spend her time doing what is best for her. I just wonder if a 16 year old truly has the capacity to make this kind of decision. Sport life is short and when she is sitting at a desk with a 9-5 job someday, I hope she doesn’t think “what if”? Why do so many Japanese skaters never seem to want to retire but in the U.S. that is not nearly the case?

Sylvia

TBD
And why cave in to the Chinese government trying to intimidate Arthur for his previous pro-democracy stance in China many years ago? I readily admit though I don’t have all the facts on that.
I don't believe Alysa is "caving in" with her decision to retire from competition? GSD news thread before Worlds:

mtnskater

Sylvia, I was just responding to previous posts that have suggested Alysa was retiring because of the spy incidents in whole or in part. I posed the question if so doesn’t the Chinese government win? I can’t see Arthur or Alysa making this decision because of the attempted intimidation. But my main point is Alysa’s decision seems somewhat rash and she is young and may not have the same perspective she’ll have later as she matures.

mackiecat

I know Alyssa has completed HS as a home schooler. She is too late for college applications for 2022/2023. She should enrol in her local high school, up grade her marks or take some different courses and then live her Sr year. Homecoming, Prom, graduation. Just enjoy the experience.

Karen-W

I know Alyssa has completed HS as a home schooler. She is too late for college applications for 2022/2023. She should enrol in her local high school, up grade her marks or take some different courses and then live her Sr year. Homecoming, Prom, graduation. Just enjoy the experience.
You have no idea what her grades were or what her HS education plan looked like. Additionally, plenty of "home-schooled" skaters have been admitted to elite universities, and there are a lot of social opportunities that exist with online/home school programs like Connections (where Vincent and Nathan both went). Alysa seems like she had a fabulous, tight-knit friend circle and while she might enjoy the opportunity to do the typical HS activities, those aren't for every kid, even the ones who do attend a traditional HS.

Frau Muller

Great idea, if possible. She seems like the type of teen who craves these experiences.

insideedgeua

I honestly think Alysa just wants to be a regular teen.

She was on Instagram live up until approximately 10 minutes before she posted her retirement announcement.

It was late night in Japan and she was in her hotel room. She was playing music and randomly answering some of the questions that teens were posting. I only watched for a couple of minutes and it was very typical teen stuff.

While it would have been nice to see her continue, I don’t truly think her heart was in it after the coaching change and move away from her family (which in hindsight, may well have been for safety reasons). Her Instagram photos, when she’s not at competitions or shows, are mainly of her and her friends. I hope she can spend time with family and friends and then reset with some new goals.

It must be hard to stay motivated to skate at an elite level, when you’ve already accomplished your goals.

Good luck to her with whatever she decides to try next.

Trillian

I just wonder if a 16 year old truly has the capacity to make this kind of decision. Sport life is short and when she is sitting at a desk with a 9-5 job someday, I hope she doesn’t think “what if”?

There are a lot of career options available to Alysa besides “boring desk job” and “professional figure skater,” so I’m sure she’ll find something she enjoys. She’s also accomplished enough that she’ll have an open invite to come back to figure skating in some capacity whenever she wants. But not everyone who could have a long skating career actually wants one.

Either way, I don’t think there’s any other option besides forcing her to skate whether she likes it or not, which has never gone well for anyone. And skating is not a sport without some risk. If a kid says, “I don’t want to do this thing with my body anymore,” IMO she is exactly the right person to make that decision.

screech

Dancing with the Stars is only "popular" with the senior citizen set. I will admit the demographics might trend slightly younger than the Consumer Cellular calling, Prevagen popping fanbase figure skating has cornered.
I'm a non-senior who watches. Though the term 'stars' on the show has lost its meaning, and I partially hate watch it now because of Tyra Banks... Chock/Bates would be good on the show, but if anyone from this quad, I'd see Hubbell/Donohue as more likely. I'm actually kind of surprised Tara Lipinski didn't do it when Johnny did.

Alysa's announcement in a way reminds me of when Jeff Buttle announced he was retiring, saying he was happy with all he'd accomplished in his career. I remember people were shocked, as he'd just won Worlds and people thought he was in a good place heading into Vancouver in less than 2 years.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I was never a true fan of Alysa's. I wasn't all that impressed when she won her first National title.

Frankly, retiring at is most likely the best thing for a skater who is a National Champion, an Olympian, and a World Medalist. That's a huge accomplishment and only a tiny number of people can ever say that - even one of those accomplishments.

I think it shows her head is in the right place.

There will be another star in the making for NBC to push, USFS may have difficulty finding the next star, but they will find one.

Skating is in a post Russian stars void, hopefully one that lasts a while, and other skaters/countries will excel without the banned substances as the building blocks for "successful programs".

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Frankly, retiring at is most likely the best thing for a skater who is a National Champion, an Olympian, and a World Medalist.
That can hardly be a blanket statement. Should Nathan or Papadakis/Cizeron or Sui/Han have retired in 2018? Should Michelle Kwan have retired in 1998, for that matter? Of course any skater is entitled to retire when they feel it's the right time, but think how much great skating we'd have missed out on, and how many career highs the skaters themselves would have missed out on, if everyone followed that rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information