Alysa Liu retired in 2022 and is coming back in 2024

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The big question now is who will she work with? During her last competitive season, there seemed like there was a lot of turmoil there. I want to see Alysa enjoy her skating and continue to make improvements, so I think that the decision on who she will work with is an important decision.
Goku Endo is on the UCLA FS team and his coaches are Derrick Delmore, Angela Nikodinov and Anastasiya Sharenkova. There are plenty other great coaches in LA - Sean Rabbitt, Rafael, etc. I think she'd do well with any of those folks, provided she's able to balance college and training.

Willin

AFAIK Alysa has yet to mention publicly that she is in college (or where).
I've seen pictures last year and this year that appeared to be in LA. The clips of her in the video are various rinks. One has the Kings logo, implying LA. None of the rinks featured into this video appear to be Irvine or any other rink in the LA area I've been to, but I haven't been to them all by any means.

Jammers

I must admit this makes me smile though i have no idea what kind of shape she is in or if she can even get her triples back but if she does watch out because she was the best competitor the US had for most of her years competing. To be honest i'm still bummed she didn't get chosen for the team competition since she was the clear cut number 1 lady that season or she would be getting a Olympic Gold medal to go along with a World medal. To be honest the US needs someone who's tough under pressure to get that 3rd spot back if it doesn't happen in a few weeks.

Last edited:

sjs5572

Not put into any particular context, she looks slow. Maybe I'm being a little too critical....

She just "came back" and she hasn't been competing. Give her time.
I agree. January 5th was the first time she set foot on the ice since July 2022. In fact, I am in awe of her muscle memory; that 3 flip looks big and clean!

leilaofpaper

I must admit this makes me smile though i have no idea what kind of shape she is in or if she can even get her triples back but if she does watch out because she was the best competitor the US had for most of her years competing. To be honest i'm still bummed she didn't get chosen for the team competition since she was the clear cut number 1 lady that season or she would be getting a Olympic Gold medal to go along with a World medal. To be honest the US needs someone who's tough under pressure to get that 3rd spot back if it doesn't happen in a few weeks.
I believe the reason Alysa (and Mariah) didnā€™t compete in the team competition was due to COVID recovery meaning less training time.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I believe the reason Alysa (and Mariah) didnā€™t compete in the team competition was due to COVID recovery meaning less training time.
Alysa also did not arrive in Beijing until after the Opening Ceremonies - and I've always thought that had more to do with whatever spy games the CCP was engaging in toward Alysa and her dad. The USOPC and USFS had to keep her guarded the whole time she was there. I'd love to see her at Milano in 2026 if only to have a more carefree Olympic experience.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Ricoā€¦With Love! Not LatinX!
Alysa will compete in which discipline? Everybody assumes traditional singles. Maybe itā€™s Single Dance or on a Synchro team? The initial article is blocked after the first paragraph, so I couldnā€™t read it all.

Jammers

The best coaching team Alysa ever had was Massimo Scali and Jeremy Abbott. What they did with her after her growth spurts to not only get most of her jumps back except for the quads and her improvement of her basic skating and speed was amazing. If only she hadn't dumped them as her coaches maybe she could have gone back having a ice dancing coach is what she needs to get her skating skills back along with a jump coach which is what she had with Massimo and Jeremy.

carriecmu0503

I believe the reason Alysa (and Mariah) didnā€™t compete in the team competition was due to COVID recovery meaning less training time.was also being stocked by the Chinese mob/mafia. They may have wanted to reduce her exposure and competition for safety purposes.

The best coaching team Alysa ever had was Massimo Scali and Jeremy Abbott. What they did with her after her growth spurts to not only get most of her jumps back except for the quads and her improvement of her basic skating and speed was amazing. If only she hadn't dumped them as her coaches maybe she could have gone back having a ice dancing coach is what she needs to get her skating skills back along with a jump coach which is what she had with Massimo and Jeremy.

Her move from Northern California to Colorado Springs was very abrupt. You need to remember that she and her father were being stalked by the Chinese mob/mafia at the time. Itā€™s possible she was moved to Colorado Springs, location of the US figure skating headquarters and the USOPC, for her safety/security.

sheetz

Karen revealed in an interview that the team event skaters were chosen at Nationals (before Mariah had developed symptoms), and in an interview Raf later gave with the Russian media he did not indicate that covid had anything to do with Mariah not being selected.

carriecmu0503

Karen revealed in an interview that the team event skaters were chosen at Nationals (before Mariah had developed symptoms), and in an interview Raf later gave with the Russian media he did not indicate that covid had anything to do with Mariah not being selected.
Karen had a higher world ranking than Mariah. There was no conspiracy here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information