Alysa Liu retired in 2022 and is coming back in 2024

Debbie S

Alysa sure knows how to create anticipation. :lol:

Glad she is enjoying skating again.

ETA: If you watch the full reel, it ends with "2024-25 season back on the ice"...so I guess the question is, does that mean elite competition, shows, collegiate competition, or any combo or all of the above. She'll keep us guessing....

Last edited:

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
Alysa sure knows how to create anticipation. :lol:

Glad she is enjoying skating again.

ETA: If you watch the full reel, it ends with "2024-25 season back on the ice"...so I guess the question is, does that mean elite competition, shows, collegiate competition, or any combo or all of the above. She'll keep us guessing....
I'm old and old-fashioned..Just say what ya mean..

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
She probably wants to be careful in case things don’t pan out because of social media reaction. Liu knows how vocal intense disappointed fans will behave on her Instagram and other social media account
The announcement of an announcement from a few days ago certainly sent social media into a tailspin..and now today..Not my definition of "careful"..not a criticism..just an observation..

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I think it just means she has started skating again after stopping cold turkey a few years ago. Seems rather dramatic you have a triple in her first hour back on the ice. It sounds like she will be training more for something in the upcoming season. I think that is really all we know or need to know.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Given the people who have reposted the announcement on their IG stories already (Jackie Wong, Olivia Smart, etc) and the skating folks who have commented on Alysa's post, I think it's 💯 a comeback to international competition.

FYI - she's automatically entitled to 2 GP spots as a comeback skater.

mtnskater

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
OK so she is coming back? Will she qualify for the Grand Prix? As a returning skater

US nationals I almost wanna have a party at my house next year for it if Bradie is healthy and Alysa is back and Amber is going strong and Ava and Lindsay and Sherry and Starr and Isabeau and all the other contenders, let’s have a party at Sylvia‘s house

Karen-W

OK so she is coming back? Will she qualify for the Grand Prix? As a returning skater

US nationals I almost wanna have a party at my house next year for it if Bradie is healthy and Alysa is back and Amber is going strong and Ava and Lindsay and Sherry and Starr and Isabeau and all the other contenders, let’s have a party at Sylvia‘s house
Someone needs to read the entire thread before posting questions that have already been answered within the last hour...

aml78

I wonder if usfsa coaxed her out of retirement? Glad to have her back. Her senior career seemed so unfinished. I wonder what her training situation is.

ice coverage

... FYI - she's automatically entitled to 2 GP spots as a comeback skater.

But I do not feel sure that she will be officially guaranteed to get two GP assignments?
(Even if it is likely that things will work out for her to get two.)

When Gracie Gold was a "Come-Back Skater" as defined by the ISU, she received only one assignment.
For 2018/19 season and still for 2023/24 season, the ISU language for "Come-Back Skaters" was/is (emphasis added) "priority consideration to re-enter the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating for selection of up to 2 assignments if they commit in writing to participating in two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events and if such return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection Meeting."

ETA:​

Assuming the rules don't change to be more restrictive, she can take the one-time option as a Come-back skater based on her Top 6 finish in a Worlds within the last ten years. That gives her consideration, not a guarantee, for two spots.

Ooops, sorry that I had not seen kwanfan's post (y) when I was writing my post.​

Last edited:

Karen-W

I wonder if usfsa coaxed her out of retirement? Glad to have her back. Her senior career seemed so unfinished. I wonder what her training situation is.
Doubtful. They put their efforts into supporting the women we did have competing like Isabeau, Amber, even Gracie last season. That's part of why I really doubt they have been begging/paying Jason Brown to continue competing regardless of what people like Dave Lease say online. ;)

Assuming the rules don't change to be more restrictive, she can take the one-time option as a Come-back skater based on her Top 6 finish in a Worlds within the last ten years. That gives her consideration, not a guarantee, for two spots.
Well, Kagiyama got 2 assignments this season as a Comeback skater. Even if the USFS does have to burn one of its SkAm spots like the JSF did for Kagiyama (and Higuchi, who was only classified as a Return Skater not a Comeback Skater) at NHK this fall, I think it's pretty safe to bet Alysa will get two. Bradie Tennell got 2 out of the gate in 2022-23 as a mere Return Skater (like Higuchi) and while the overall field is deeper than 2 seasons ago, there are only 4 other US women who I think are likely to get 2 (Levito, Glenn, Ziegler & Thorngren) based on their SB and WS rankings.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Good for her, no matter what level or type of competition she decides to participate in. (I imagine there are a few high-level adult skaters that might be shaking in their boots today :lol:)

Right before she retired, some of her programs had very interesting and creative moments. Although it looked like she was being pushed to do jump-jump-jump programs, some mature interpretative/artistic skills were starting to emerge. I hope she can continue going down that path, if that's what she wants to do.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I'm going to be blunt enough to say that maybe a good look at at the women's competition at this year's Nationals led her to the conclusion that she can be competitive both next year and for the next Olympics.

And no offense meant to Amber, Isabeau, or anyone else, but that ladies freeskate was not exactly a confidence builder for the USA.

Sylvia

TBD
There's a statement from Justin Diillon:
Same one as published in USFS' press release (linked in post #281 above), I assume, that's in the Associated Press and other articles?
“We are very excited about Alysa’s return,” said Justin Dillon, U.S. Figure Skating’s senior director of high performance. “We look forward to supporting Alysa in her career as she seeks to build on the success she has already achieved in recent seasons.”

layman

I am thrilled with Alysa Liu's decision to return competitive figure skating! I was deeply impressed with her commitment and grit to improve during the last four seasons that she competed. I saw that she was making tremendous progress from season to season and even from competition to competition. That's why her sudden retirement was so surprising to me.

The big question now is who will she work with? During her last competitive season, there seemed like there was a lot of turmoil there. I want to see Alysa enjoy her skating and continue to make improvements, so I think that the decision on who she will work with is an important decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information