Air Quality Warning

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Buried in the article: these fires are most likely caused by humans, and temperatures in the areas have only risen by 1 degree Celsius since preindustrial times.

Truly sorry for those who are suffering the effects of these fires, but I can't jump on the same old tired bandwagon of blaming "climate change," promoting masks, mass cancellation of events, and restricting freedoms. The sky will need to be a lot more orange before I wear a mask again! Let people decide if they want to go outdoors or not, and respect their decision.
Well, I don't know that I'd wear a mask in these conditions, but I can't really fault schools, etc for cancelling outdoor events this week while air quality is so poor. I know my brother, who works outdoors as much as he works indoors as a sr pest control tech for Orkin uses a bandana frequently when we're dealing with smoky/hazy conditions like the folks in the mid-Atlantic are currently experiencing.

Miezekatze

I'm keeping all my FFP2 masks primarily for the case of such conditions.
And when cleaning out the horse stable, cause the dusts can contain Hanta virus particles from mice feces. Generally when during construction or renovating work with dust they are recommended too, that's what they are actually designed for.

But I was wondering earlier today whether PC would refuse masks to safe his lungs from damage too, silly me, even wondering :lol:

Judy

For those in Ontario I follow https://m.facebook.com/ConnorMocket...vkK5LuA&tsid=0.9790991252464145&source=result

if you use Facebook. He’s awesome with the weather etc.

apparently winds shifting more central Ontario and Toronto tomorrow.

It’s Been gloomy and chilly today for me but it’s brightening now. For how long I don’t know.

‘’I would describe being outside as just icky. I never smelt smoke yesterday but it’s ongoing today in Orleans.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
The fires in NS were absolutely insane. Some of the stories and videos coming out of that are purely apocalyptic.

Buried in the article: these fires are most likely caused by humans, and temperatures in the areas have only risen by 1 degree Celsius since preindustrial times.

Truly sorry for those who are suffering the effects of these fires, but I can't jump on the same old tired bandwagon of blaming "climate change," promoting masks, mass cancellation of events, and restricting freedoms. The sky will need to be a lot more orange before I wear a mask again! Let people decide if they want to go outdoors or not, and respect their decision.
Why do you insist on showing your inability to see past your ego wherever you post? Are you so triggered by the mention of masks that you can't see straight? Did a mask beat you up as a kid?

Of course fires are caused by humans. But it's climate change that's helped given us an extremely dry spring, making it easier for these fires to spread like mad.

Are you even in North America? Maybe You can take a walk instead of telling folks over here whether they should or shouldn't wear a mask due to awful air quality.

Judy

Ignoring climate change is bizarre. It has nothing to do with how you struggled personally over Covid and whatever happened in your country. Nobody is restricting your version of “freedom” .. I can go outside as much as I like and so can other Cdns. Most of us aren’t because it’s disgusting. In Canada we have never had this amount of fires in a lot of provinces for weeks now.

emason

I normally ride my bike into work- not today, which is, I think, the first time I've not ridden due to air quality.
I’m mildly freaking out about the fact that here in Forest Hills I have all my windows closed, but I can smell smoke everywhere. I made one quick run up the block (wearing my mask) to get a sandwich from my local deli and came right back home. It’s abysmal outside. Stay safe, everyone here in NY.

skategal

Bunny mama
The fires in NS were absolutely insane. Some of the stories and videos coming out of that are purely apocalyptic.

Why do you insist on showing your inability to see past your ego wherever you post? Are you so triggered by the mention of masks that you can't see straight? Did a mask beat you up as a kid?

Of course fires are caused by humans. But it's climate change that's helped given us an extremely dry spring, making it easier for these fires to spread like mad.

Are you even in North America? Maybe You can take a walk instead of telling folks over here whether they should or shouldn't wear a mask due to awful air quality.
The dry conditions are making the fires easier to start too.

Poor human behaviour (flicking cigarette butts, breaking glass in the forest, not tending your backyard/campground fires closely, that we did for years can’t be done anymore without these types of tragic consequences.

400 structures burnt in the NS fires, most of those were homes.

400 families without housing.

It’s so horrible.

kedrin

It is brighter than it was a few hours ago, but still nowhere near good.
The sky will need to be a lot more orange before I wear a mask again!

I haven't been wearing a mask for a while, but if I had an N95 mask, I would be wearing it today (I don't think any of the other masks would do any good). The air was something I've never seen before- and I used to live in Los Angeles, so I've experienced smoke from wild fires before. Photos don't really capture what it was like to experience the dimming of the sun at noon.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
All networks are covering this. Looks very bad from the pictures of NYC. AQI must be worse than Red. I had seen it go that bad when there were fires on the west coast.
People should stay home if they have that choice.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I'm in Ottawa, there is a large fire a bit west of here but last I heard it is contained and reduced and they were supposed to lift the evacuation order today. Skies are very hazy and grey here, not too orange at the moment (they were yesterday morning). I understand much of the smoke over Ottawa is actually coming from the fires in Northern Quebec, not the one nearer here. The smell of smoke was much stronger this morning than yesterday (I've been at work all day in an office building with a powerful ventilation system, so I haven't been able to smell it since arriving ... we'll see when I head home in about half an hour!).
When things were really bad here at the beginning of May the first weekend most of the smoke was from the fire in Edson, not even the one that started just south of my city that saw one of my co-workers evacuated for a week and a half. We never got any significant smoke from the fire close to us. We sure got a lot from the Fox Creek fires though (it has a different name because 3 different fires ended up combining at one point but I can't remember it).

Most of Alberta's fires at the beginning of May were from lightning strikes because we had thunderstorms. The one south of where I live was probably human set because someone ignored a fire ban. If we had had rain or any kind of moisture at all between February and May 22nd when it finally rained for 2 days maybe things would have been different this spring but we didn't and they weren't. No moisture outside of snow melt that occurred way earlier than normal is a sign of climate change. And I did wear a mask outside for 2 weeks straight because otherwise I couldn't breathe and I didn't want to be one of the many people clogging up our already overworked hospital for smoke inhalation. My mom even wore a mask and she still ended up with an ear and sinus infection because of how stuffed up she was from the smoke.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Skies are very hazy and grey here, not too orange at the moment
It's the orange that kills me. There is something about the sky being that color that makes it seem like we're living on an alien planet and it really mentally drains me.

Poor human behaviour (flicking cigarette butts, breaking glass in the forest, not tending your backyard/campground fires closely, that we did for years can’t be done anymore without these types of tragic consequences.
All the places I go camping no longer allow campfires even if you buy the wood from them. It's been like this for a while due to drought.

Firedancer

The roof will be closed for the Toronto Blue Jays game tonight unless the air quality improves.

The Yankees and Phillies games tonight have been postponed. The Yankees are supposed to play a double header tomorrow instead. I’m not sure it’s going to be much better.

I am in Albany, NY. It looks grey and hazy outside and smells like fire. But we don’t have the orange haze, at least not yet.

Desperado

I'm in Ottawa. It's raining and the Air Quality Index is at 4 (between Low and Moderate Risk) and I still smell the smoke outside.

I've heard mixed info about turning the AC on. I think the recent home HVAC systems can be fine, but window A/Cs and our motor based system built in 1975 would be no match for the smoke.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Alleluia about the rain, @Desperado !

I don't know if this one has been caused by humans but wildfires don't have to be necessarily started by humans.
Clumsy wording on my part, absolutely. Missing the "are also".

My point regardless was it's immaterial if they did due to extenuating factors.

I hope this widespread attention finally forces people to be more careful with their actions, including takign fire bans seriously. I know people who have ignored it in the past. Won't happen to them, they're smart enough to avoid catastrophe, etc. All it takes is one privileged jerk ignoring the fire ban at his cottage in Muskoka...

ballettmaus

My point regardless was it's immaterial if they did due to extenuating factors.
To that point: an area close to Berlin also has a wildfire again. Or had over the weekend, I don't know if they managed to put it out by now but my point is that there were occasional forest fires in Brandenburg but ever since 2019, fires occurred more or less annually and always in an area not far to Berlin which has not been the case before. Additionally, the highest wildfire danger alert for Brandenburg has been getting issued as early as April. 2019 was also when spring and summer started to be unusually dry.

As far as I know the wildfires were started by human behavior but I'm pretty sure that they made illegal campfires or threw away their cigarette butts in that area long before 2019.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
I think the answer to that is undoubtedly yes. Having a massive whiny baby hissy fit strop over masks is very on brand for PC.

I opened this thread to read about wildfires, not to read about politicized theories that have little basis in fact and people wagging their finger at others telling them what they must and must not do.

There's been no lightning. The temperatures haven't risen. These fires are almost certainly man made. Why don't we focus on that v. jumping to "climate change!!!!!!" and other hysteria?

I've said my piece and don't feel the need to say more. Since most on this thread don't know anyone with conservative views or who doubts climate change claims, I'll say that this is a great example (of many) that fuel my skepticism. If your aim is to convince people who don't believe, you're doing more harm than good.

My thoughts are with those suffering from these fires, and I hope that our societal actions in response are rooted in realistic, fact-based approaches rather than knee-jerk junk science.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I opened this thread to read about wildfires, not to read about politicized theories that have little basis in fact and people wagging their finger at others telling them what they must and must not do.

There's been no lightning. The temperatures haven't risen. These fires are almost certainly man made. Why don't we focus on that v. jumping to "climate change!!!!!!" and other hysteria?

I've said my piece and don't feel the need to say more. Since most on this thread don't know anyone with conservative views or who doubts climate change claims, I'll say that this is a great example (of many) that fuel my skepticism. If your aim is to convince people who don't believe, you're doing more harm than good.

My thoughts are with those suffering from these fires, and I hope that our societal actions in response are rooted in realistic, fact-based approaches rather than knee-jerk junk science.
I live in one of the most conservative provinces in Canada and most of the people I know still believe climate change is real. Also how do you know what our weather patterns are when you aren't even here? This spring has been warmer above average since the snow melted across the country. We had 30 degree Celsius temperatures at the beginning of May! That's 15-20 degrees warmer than normal for the time of year. We're looking at 2-3 days of 30 degree temperatures for the next few days which is 10 degrees warmer than normal for this time of year at least. Stop talking about Canadian weather patterns like you know what you're talking about when you don't even live here. I don't know what caused the fires out east, I don't even know what caused the fire that just crossed the Alberta/BC border that's put a huge chunk of the area west of here on an evacuation alert, but I do know that a lack of rain makes the ground and trees dry and helps fires to spread faster and after the relief we got over May long weekend (May 22nd for the Americans) it's once again been completely dry. 2 days of non stop rain was great but we need more and all we're getting instead is more heat.

Judy

canbelto

In NY. Can confirm: it's misery here. It smells like a bbq even inside with the AC and filters running. Today at work while we were wheezing and miserable, one colleague decided to regale us with some Qnut conspiracy theory that it was all Justin Trudeau working with the CIA or some shit like that. Of course global warming is a scam, it's all a plot by the government to scare us into "compliance." Something more about how could wildfires in Canada travel all the way to NY? Yeah.

Japanfan

All the places I go camping no longer allow campfires even if you buy the wood from them. It's been like this for a while due to drought.
We've had a campfire ban kick in every summer for over ten years now. Usually in August in - this year, the ban came in yesterday.

I used to so love having campfires in the evening!

Orm Irian

Some wildfires are caused by natural events, like lightning strikes.
And global heating renders those natural events far more likely to happen, too. There may have been a lot of noise in certain quarters about the Black Summer fires here being caused by arson, but post-fire analysis has shown that that was not the case. The majority of the big fires were the result of lightning strikes following severe drought, intensified by stuck weather systems that were holding back the rains.

Then you also have to remember the fact that when fires get big and intense enough, they can start creating their own weather systems (i.e., going pyrocumulonimbus). Those weather systems throw out more lightning strikes, and that pushes the fire fronts ever further on. I don't know if Canada has trees that are the equivalents of eucalyptus when it comes to exploding oil haze and/or full trees, but that kind of element is also a natural event that intensifies and expands fires.

skatingguy

decently
I don't know if Canada has trees that are the equivalents of eucalyptus when it comes to exploding oil haze and/or full trees, but that kind of element is also a natural event that intensifies and expands fires.
No, we don't have that kind of tree. Most of the fires in Canada are a result of a warmer than average winter, a smaller than average snow pack, and a dryer than average spring. The fires in Nova Scotia had the advantage of a lot of dead trees, and debris from the Hurricane Fiona last fall that helped them spread quickly, and burn fast.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight

Denying climate change to own the libs. Congratulations.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Visible smoke here at ground level in Washington DC this morning. :( We don't have the orange skies, but its worse than yesterday early today.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
The cat is howling to go out on the balcony. Try explaining why not….

It smells like smoke and it kills your eyes in a minute or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information