Air Quality Warning

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!

The AQI map does seem to confirm that Ottawa, Toronto and the mid-Atlantic US has it worse.

It'd be news to Legault that he's a member of the Canadian parliament. :p (Quebec yes, and is the Premier which I guess is most equivalent to state governor.)

Here's hoping we can get some actual rain soon rather than the too-short drizzle last evening. :( It's been a wakeup call as I'd previously considered fires a West Coast risk. Clearly not anymore unfortunately.

Judy

Is your AC on?

If not, your probably getting bad air inside. I am. Although the fact that my front door is being replaced and so therefore its open while they work may be part of that.
I’m running my a/c even though the temp outside does NOT require it. Where are you? We should post our locations.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I’m running my a/c even though the temp outside does NOT require it. Where are you? We should post our locations.
I'm in Washington DC which I was surprised to discover is actually experiencing some of the worst air in the eastern US.

Its not hot here so no AC, but my biggest problem is that my door is open because they are replacing it. They are also making a lot of noise. :fragile:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I'm in Washington DC which I was surprised to discover is actually experiencing some of the worst air in the eastern US.

Its not hot here so no AC, but my biggest problem is that my door is open because they are replacing it. They are also making a lot of noise. :fragile:
The smoke from the fires usually keeps it cooler, but I would highly recommend closing all doors and windows as soon as possible and run your AC to improve indoor air quality.

I do sympathize with everyone experiencing the smoke and haze from the wildfires. It's a rather surreal experience when it gets as bad as it's looks from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Sorry about DC but it’s not much better here, due to plain old tropical heat and humidity (index 102 degrees F).

sk8pics

Does anyone know if the masks that we have used for Covid are effective for the smoke?

I just walked my dog here in DC and its here too. And its not as bad here as closer but it irritated my airways.
NYT article this morning said that cloth masks and surgical masks will not help filter out the irritating particles, and you need N95 or something similar.

quartz

scratching at the light
I’m in a pocket of relatively ok air - we are in the mid-70’s and still have blue skies and sunshine, but all around me there are much higher risk warnings. Pretty much all of Ontario is now under an outdoor fire ban.

Judy

It’s chilly outside where I am. Yah with the door open etc. not great but hey I’d love to get a new door. Cha-ching here.

Vagabond

I just looked out the window. The sky is orange! :eek: :scream::scream::eek:
We had that here in California back in 2020. It made me wonder why Natalie Cole and Michael Buble were so rhapsodic about orange-colored sky, a theme in various skaters' programs, including one of Evgenia Medvedeva's.

Last edited:

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I just took this photo a few minutes ago: Crazy Orange NY Sky
That's pretty much how it looked here in northern Alberta at the beginning of May. We had a couple of days where the smoke was so bad for a few hours everything looked like burnt red from the smoke too but most of the time it was about like that for 2 weeks. We're starting to get smoke here again from the fires in the area because stuff is getting gnarly further north in Alberta again and I'm guessing BC is still having fire issues too. Most of our smoke usually comes from there.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
An hour north of Toronto, a bit west/south of the fires in Ottawa, and it looks very foggy outside. Haven't seen the moon or stars for days despite no cloud cast.

Our building fire alarms were going off this morning and there's a chance it's from the air outside. :lol:

One of my staff is in Kingston, closer to the big fire in Ottawa, and their sky was green yesterday. Other staff I have in Northern Ontario are putting together go bags.

What's wild is it's JUNE 7th. What is this going to be like in July/August?

skategal

Bunny mama
I spent 5 days last week evacuated from my house in Nova Scotia and another few days with the bags by the door ready to leave once we returned.

We are still under a 30 minute to evacuate warning notice.

I have friends/coworkers/acquaintances that had their neighborhoods ruined by fire.

It’s not fun.

It’s so scary and my heart goes out to everyone else threatened by the fires.

screech

I'm wondering if the air quality will affect the RBC Canadian Open starting tomorrow in Toronto. Will some golfers withdraw, or will we see them wearing masks? Will the crowds be affected?

BittyBug

Disgusted
NYC looks positively apocalyptic. Our planet is literally burning up and yet we continue to party like today is all that matters.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
As someone extremely experienced with wildfire smoke, I can tell you that if you have air conditioning or an evaporative cooler - anything with a filter, really - it helps a lot with air quality inside. I feel so sorry for you guys as the smoke here every summer from the California wildfires is what drove us from our wonderful, forever home in the mountains. We just couldn't take it anymore and live now on the edge of the ocean with almost all wind currents sending air inland.

MLIS

I'm in Ottawa, there is a large fire a bit west of here but last I heard it is contained and reduced and they were supposed to lift the evacuation order today. Skies are very hazy and grey here, not too orange at the moment (they were yesterday morning). I understand much of the smoke over Ottawa is actually coming from the fires in Northern Quebec, not the one nearer here. The smell of smoke was much stronger this morning than yesterday (I've been at work all day in an office building with a powerful ventilation system, so I haven't been able to smell it since arriving ... we'll see when I head home in about half an hour!).

Vagabond

I'm wondering if the air quality will affect the RBC Canadian Open starting tomorrow in Toronto. Will some golfers withdraw, or will we see them wearing masks? Will the crowds be affected?
Of course the crowds will be affected. It's completely irresponsible to stage outdoor events in such conditions.

screech

Of course the crowds will be affected. It's completely irresponsible to stage outdoor events in such conditions.
I meant affected as in will everyone who was planning to go still attend, not whether they will feel the affects of the air. I know someone who is going both tomorrow and Sunday, and has been wondering whether there will be any kind of 'announcement' about it.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
Buried in the article: these fires are most likely caused by humans, and temperatures in the areas have only risen by 1 degree Celsius since preindustrial times.

Truly sorry for those who are suffering the effects of these fires, but I can't jump on the same old tired bandwagon of blaming "climate change," promoting masks, mass cancellation of events, and restricting freedoms. The sky will need to be a lot more orange before I wear a mask again! Let people decide if they want to go outdoors or not, and respect their decision.

Vagabond

I meant affected as in will everyone who was planning to go still attend, not whether they will feel the affects of the air. I know someone who is going both tomorrow and Sunday, and has been wondering whether there will be any kind of 'announcement' about it.
It's very risky to spend several hours outdoors in High Risk conditions, even with a proper mask, and, right now, the forecast for Toronto tomorrow is High Risk.

The only people will should be going out there tomorrow so are "essential personnel." Everyone else should be staying indoors, and that includes would-be spectators at the Canadian Open.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Buried in the article: these fires are most likely caused by humans, and temperatures in the areas have only risen by 1 degree Celsius since preindustrial times.

Truly sorry for those who are suffering the effects of these fires, but I can't jump on the same old tired bandwagon of blaming "climate change," promoting masks, mass cancellation of events, and restricting freedoms. The sky will need to be a lot more orange before I wear a mask again! Let people decide if they want to go outdoors or not, and respect their decision.
Damage my lungs to own the libs is certainly something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information