Air Quality Warning

Sarah

The air in SE PA is awful right now. My lungs are on fire despite wearing a mask when I'm outside (I feel far better with a KN95 when the 5 minutes I walked outside without one...). Current conditions on the weather app have changed from haze to smoke. So that's fun. Anyway, just trying to make it through this while keeping my asthma under control. I know it's way worse elsewhere too.

quartz

scratching at the light
We’ve lost our little pocket of better air. Yesterday we were in the low-moderate risk, and today and tomorrow moving into high risk. The sky is hazy, still a bit of blue, but I can’t smell any smoke. Our public health website states that N95 type masks are not the best way to protect yourself while outdoors, and may give you a false sense of security. But then they don’t explain what would be a better alternative. :rolleyes:

kedrin

We're much clearer today than yesterday. Still hazy, but it's a sunny haze, instead of an apocalyptic haze.

Vagabond

We’ve lost our little pocket of better air. Yesterday we were in the low-moderate risk, and today and tomorrow moving into high risk. The sky is hazy, still a bit of blue, but I can’t smell any smoke. Our public health website states that N95 type masks are not the best way to protect yourself while outdoors, and may give you a false sense of security. But then they don’t explain what would be a better alternative. :rolleyes:
N95 masks don't protect against gases and vapors, which is why governments issued gas masks to essential personnel working outdoors during the 2020 California wildfire event. Good luck getting one today in one of your local stores.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
N95 masks protect against particulate matter which is a big aspect of the problem with smoke.

screech

The temperatures in Ontario have cooled a bit in some areas, and rain is in the forecast on and off over the next week or so. I'm not sure how much is expected, or how much of an effect it will have, but it's something at least!

Debbie S

Visible haze even at ground level here. I'm inside but can smell it....smells like a campfire/marshmallow roasting. I don't have the a/c on (don't need it) so i'm thinking that lowers the outside air coming in?

We don't have orange skies but now they're saying it could be bad tomorrow.

quartz

scratching at the light
N95 masks don't protect against gases and vapors, which is why governments issued gas masks to essential personnel working outdoors during the 2020 California wildfire event. Good luck getting one today in one of your local stores.
We still have patches of blue sky and the sun is peeking out every now and then, and our windows are all open too. I had no plans of trying to get a mask of any sort. I do need to take allergy pill, however - the pollen is still non-stop!

Badams

We are in the yellow today. Actually right on the line between yellow and orange. Yesterday at this time we were in the purple. the air is so much cleaner today than it was yesterday. It's also incredibly cloudy and unseasonably cold at a whopping 61 degrees. Hopefully it rains. At least the sky is normal colored and not orange anymore.

VICK B.

Air Quality Index (AQI) at one point hit 484.. very hazardous in New York City...

Source CTV MONTREAL NOON NEWS (TV) ...

Please wear a mask.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Lead singer of the Goo Goo Dolls once called Toronto "Buffalo's Manhattan."

(Doesn't make the 9ish-hour drive to NYC shorter, mind you)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Fox guest: There's just no health risk...We have this kind of air in India and China all the time, no public health emergency... this doesn't kill anybody, this doesn't make anybody cough, this is not a health event... particulate matter is just very fine soot, they're innocuous.

This is insanity
Either profound ignorance or counting on profound ignorance in the audience.

Pollution led to more than 2.3 million premature deaths in India in 2019, according to a new Lancet study.
Nearly 1.6 million deaths were due to air pollution alone, and more than 500,000 were caused by water pollution.
The latest Lancet Commission on pollution and health report blamed pollution for nine million - or about one in six - deaths globally.
It said India - where bad air kills more than a million people every year - remained among the worst affected.

There is really no excuse for anyone spreading this kind of dangerous nonsense.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
:( Outdoor production here tonight of The School of Lies (modernized translation of Moliere's Le Misanthrope) has been cancelled.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
A friend of mine is going to NYC for the first time today.

His timing is terrible.

Vagabond

Fox guest: There's just no health risk...We have this kind of air in India and China all the time, no public health emergency... this doesn't kill anybody, this doesn't make anybody cough, this is not a health event... particulate matter is just very fine soot, they're innocuous.

This is insanity
George Orwell could not have written the dialogue any better for one of his characters if he had tried.

The insanity isn't just that anyone would say this but also that Fox News would give such a person a platform.

Judy

N95 masks protect against particulate matter which is a big aspect of the problem with smoke.
That’s what I had read. it’s not like sitting beside a bonfire/camp fire. Wild fires are very different unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information