2025 U.S. Nationals in Wichita, KS & Skate America returns to Allen, TX in 2024

Sylvia

TBD
USFS' press release today (April 23, 2024):

Tickets for 2024 Skate America and the 2025 Prevagen U.S. Figure Skating Championships will go on sale on the following dates:

U.S. Championships [eta - first time for Nationals ever to be held in in the state of Kansas]:
Thursday, May 16: All-session tickets and hotel packages
Thursday, July 11: Weekend tickets
Thursday, Sept. 19: Championship single-session tickets
Thursday, Dec. 5: Junior single-session tickets

Skate America:
Thursday, June 6: All-session tickets
Thursday, Aug. 1: Single-session tickets

ISU Challenger Series competitions:

2024 Cranberry Cup International (Challenger Series – Singles Only)
Dates: August 8-11, 2024
Venue: Tenley E. Albright Performance Center
Host: The Skating Club of Boston

2024 John Nicks Pairs Challenge International (Challenger Series – Pairs Only)
Dates: Sept. 3-4, 2024
Venue: Sky Rink at Chelsea Piers
Host: The Skating Club of New York

Also the 3 final qualifying season competitions were announced:

2025 Eastern Sectional Singles and U.S. Pairs Final
Dates: Nov. 11-17, 2024
Venue: Tenley E. Albright Performance Center
Host: The Skating Club of Boston

2025 Pacific Coast Sectional Singles Final
Dates: Nov. 11-17, 2024*
Venue: The Ice Sheet
Host: Wasatch FSC

2025 Midwestern Sectional Singles & U.S. Ice Dance Final
Dates: Nov. 18-24, 2024*
Venue: Children's Health StarCenter
Host: Dallas FSC

*The dates of this event will occur within this date range. Exact dates will be finalized closer to the registration deadline.

Last edited:

Amy L

SA is a few days earlier than last season, so it won't coincide with my husband's birthday this time. I should really put in an effort to go but gawd I hate planning lol

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Guess I’m going to Texas and Kansas…

Mini has his fall intercession at the right time, so maybe I will take him with me to SA.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Two Challengers - Tallinn Trophy Nov 12-17 and Warsaw Cup Nov 20-24 - fall the same weeks as Sectionals. So, skaters shouldn't expect or hope for assignments to either of those competitions if they have to qualify for Nats through Sectionals/Pairs Final/Ice Dance Final.

Lizziebeth

I am excited! That is driving distance (will be a long day) for me so I want to go. I drove to Kansas City a few years back and that was not bad at all. Left early and got there well before dark. This is so much easier for me than flying. I live over an hour from the airport so have to take the van and get there EARLY to fly out. It will take all day. Might as well drive.

Karen-W

There was a Nationals in Kansas City (Missouri) in 1985. I remember it well!
Yes - the point still stands - Missouri is not the same state as Kansas, so this is the first time that Nationals are being held in Kansas.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So much for them being in the same state as each other. :D
Two Challengers - Tallinn Trophy Nov 12-17 and Warsaw Cup Nov 20-24 - fall the same weeks as Sectionals. So, skaters shouldn't expect or hope for assignments to either of those competitions if they have to qualify for Nats through Sectionals/Pairs Final/Ice Dance Final.
I would say it's the other way around. USFS will send skaters to those events to guarantee they get to Nationals as they have done in the past.

Sylvia

TBD
Promo video: https://twitter.com/VisitWichita/status/1782852049463382368 & https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6HZlpyucbR/

Visit Wichita is a Destination Marketing Organization (DMO) - effective and early local marketing (like in Columbus, Ohio) will be the key to filling the seats with local fans:

Last edited:

Gayo

Sheesh, if USFS was going to go to Kansas, they should have just gone to FL. I mean, it's January. No direct flights, connecting city for SW is either Denver (which seems a tad inefficient) or St. Louis.
St. Louis looks like the best bet for us from BWI.

Karen-W

I would say it's the other way around. USFS will send skaters to those events to guarantee they get to Nationals as they have done in the past.
Not likely. The skaters/teams the USFS wants to guarantee make it to Nats will already have byes - either by Top 5 placement this past season or due to having at least 3 GP/JGP/Challengers already. Best bet - maybe one or two pairs teams get assigned to Warsaw Cup in addition to having to compete at the Pairs Final the week before. There won't be any dance teams assigned to Warsaw Cup and I'd be surprised if any men or women are assigned to Tallinn Trophy or Warsaw Cup unless they already have a Nats bye (ie - Jason Brown or a JGPF qualifier who is senior age-eligible like Sanchez).

Sylvia

TBD
DING DING DING! @once_upon in the original Nationals speculation thread on March 26:
I thought about Wichita since it has hosted US Adult Nationals. But population is ~650,000. It has a smaller airporrt
March 27 in the same thread:
Other Midwest states with multiple large metro areas - Ohio (Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus) or even Indiana if you count Indianapolis and then the Chicago suburbs on the Indiana side of the state line. Kansas has not just the KC suburbs but also Wichita. Oklahoma is kind of borderline between Midwest and South but there's both Tulsa and OKC.
The 2024 Midwestern Synchronized Skating Sectional Championships (hosted by Visit Wichita and the Wichita Figure Skating Club) was held January 24-27 at INTRUST Bank Arena - the arena's website has their 2025 Nationals event page up: https://www.intrustbankarena.com/skating
Also posted on their social media accounts today: https://twitter.com/INTRUSTarena/status/1782848491980521648 & https://www.instagram.com/p/C6HXa3luhk3/

Last edited:

mtnskater

I’m thinking about Witchita…direct flights from Denver available. Doesn’t sound too exciting, but I thought Columbus might be a dud and it was fantastic from the event venue to the crowds to the nearby excellent restaurants and shopping. Ticket prices better not be outrageous though.

Definitely no to Skate America, but I’ve only really attended when it has been in Colorado Springs ;)

Sylvia

TBD
NBC news station in Wichita has the story+video:
It’s the first time the competition is held in the state of Kansas, and it will be from Jan. 20 to Jan. 26, 2025.
“U.S. Figure Skating’s selection of Wichita to host this prestigious competition is an honor for the entire state,” Lieutenant Governor and Secretary of Commerce David Toland said. “While these elite athletes showcase their talent on the ice, Kansas will be on full display to the skating community around the world.”

This 5-minute video (embedded at the bottom of the article) shows USFS CEO Tracy Marek making the announcement in Wichita today: https://www.ksn.com/video/wichita-to-host-u-s-figure-skating-championships/9631293/

ETA:

CBS' local station in Wichita also had a TV news report today with Tracy Marek speaking in the arena:

ABC station in Wichita: https://www.kake.com/story/50703139/wichita-to-host-us-figure-skating-championships

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Yes - the point still stands - Missouri is not the same state as Kansas, so this is the first time that Nationals are being held in Kansas.
I wasn’t trying to argue…underlined Missouri. Just finding some joy…and my connection to history! First of Boitano’s four straight sr wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information