2021-22 ISU Challenger Series announced

Colonel Green

🇮🇹 Lombardia Trophy, September 10-12 (Bergamo)
🇨🇦 Autumn Classic International, September 16-18 (Montreal)
🇩🇪 Nebelhorn Trophy, September 22-25 (Oberstdorf)
🇸🇰 Ondrej Nepela Trophy, Sept. 30 - Oct. 2 (Bratislava)
🇫🇮 Finlandia Trophy, October 7-10 (Espoo)
🇨🇳 Asian Open, October 13-17 (Beijing)
🇰🇿 Denis Ten Memorial, October 28-31 (Almaty)
🇦🇹 Inge Solar Memorial, November 11-14 (Graz)
🇵🇱 Warsaw Cup, November 17-20 (Warsaw)
🇭🇷 Golden Spin of Zagreb, December 8-11 (Zagreb)

The pairs events are Nebelhorn, Finlandia, the Asian Open, the Warsaw Cup, and Golden Spin.

Nebelhorn is, per usual, the second Olympic qualifier.

The Asian Open is the Olympic test event.

Finally, no more sending skaters to struggle for breath at the US Classic!:cheer:

ISU Announcement

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
What happened to the US classic in Salt Lake?
From ISU Communication No. 2372 - Challenger Series in Figure Skating Season 2021/22 (Feb. 5, 2021): https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-communications/25481-isu-communication-2372/file

In recognition of the long standing tradition and merit of the following International Competitions, there
will be a core group of five (5) Challenger Series Competitions, namely:

• Nebelhorn-Trophy in Oberstdorf (GER)
  • Finlandia Trophy (FIN)
  • Ondrej Nepela Trophy in Bratislava (SVK)
  • Golden Spin of Zagreb (CRO)
  • One Competition in Canada or the United States to be agreed upon among the ISU Figure Skating Members in Canada and the United States.
I think it's possible USFS may hold a future ISU Challenger at Great Park Ice in Irvine, California.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
For reference (page 4 of ISU Communication 2372, linked above) - ISU World Standings ranking points for ISU Challengers:

Each Competition of the Challenger Series will be awarded with the following scale of points (in brackets
for comparison is indicated the number of points for “regular” International Competitions)

Men & Ladies
1st place 300 points (250)
2nd place 270 points (225)
3rd place 243 points (203)
4th place 219 points (182)
5th place 198 points (164)
6th place 178 points
7th place 160 points
8th place 144 points

Pair Skating
6th place ---
7th place ---
8th place ---

Ice Dance
6th place 178 points
7th place ---
8th place ---

Colonel Green

U.S. Classic will be a regular Senior B international to be held at the Skating Club of Boston's new facility in Norwood, Massachusetts this fall:
It figures that they move it to a more reasonable location the first year it isn’t a Challenger.

clairecloutier

It figures that they move it to a more reasonable location the first year it isn’t a Challenger.

Maybe they want to do a test run in Norwood before making it a Challenger event. The last few years, as I recall, it had been trading Challenger status with Autumn Classic.

I'm a little surprised that they didn't make Autumn Classic one of the pairs events on this year's CS series.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
🇮🇹 Lombardia Trophy, September 10-12 (Bergamo)
🇨🇦 Autumn Classic International, September 16-18 (Montreal)
🇩🇪 Nebelhorn Trophy, September 22-25 (Oberstdorf)
🇸🇰 Ondrej Nepela Trophy, Sept. 30 - Oct. 2 (Bratislava)
🇫🇮 Finlandia Trophy, October 7-10 (Espoo)
🇨🇳 Asian Open, October 13-17 (Beijing)
🇰🇿 Denis Ten Memorial, October 28-31 (Almaty)
🇦🇹 Inge Solar Memorial, November 11-14 (Graz)
🇵🇱 Warsaw Cup, November 17-20 (Warsaw)
🇭🇷 Golden Spin of Zagreb, December 8-11 (Zagreb)

The pairs events are Nebelhorn, Finlandia, the Asian Open, the Warsaw Cup, and Golden Spin.

Nebelhorn is, per usual, the second Olympic qualifier.

The Asian Open is the Olympic test event.

Finally, no more sending skaters to struggle for breath at the US Classic!:cheer:

ISU Announcement
Beautiful notice, full of hope.

RoseRed

Maybe they want to do a test run in Norwood before making it a Challenger event. The last few years, as I recall, it had been trading Challenger status with Autumn Classic.

I'm a little surprised that they didn't make Autumn Classic one of the pairs events on this year's CS series.
The US Classic wasn't on the CS list last season either, but before that both events were Challengers for every year the series has happened, according to Wikipedia. So they weren't trading up until recently.

I do recall that when the 5 "core" events were announced, one of the 5 would be designated as a North American event, but there alway ended up being two.

clairecloutier

The US Classic wasn't on the CS list last season either, but before that both events were Challengers for every year the series has happened, according to Wikipedia. So they weren't trading up until recently.

I do recall that when the 5 "core" events were announced, one of the 5 would be designated as a North American event, but there alway ended up being two.

I think maybe they were trading which one was the sole pairs CS event in North America. That's probably what I was thinking of.

RoseRed

I think maybe they were trading which one was the sole pairs CS event in North America. That's probably what I was thinking of.
I think that was the plan, but all the events had pairs until the 19-20 season, so they didn't really have time to trade.

azcalder

I attended SLC every year but the first. It was mostly competitors from the Pacific countries and the US. I believe Autumn Classic attracted a few from the US, but most were Canadian and those who trained there. Having so many skaters from abroad training in the Montreal and Toronto areas made it easier to be international without a lot of travel.

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Canada's June 17th press release:

"Skate Canada has announced that it will host the 2021 Autumn Classic International in Pierrefonds, Quebec. The seventh edition of this event will take place September 16-18, 2021 at the Sportplexe Pierrefonds.
Due to the current provincial restrictions and guidelines, there are no planned ticket sales for the 2021 Autumn Classic International."

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Is the Autumn Classic (and other Challenger events not designated to have pairs) going to have a separate pairs competition that won't be part of the series? The ISU calendar has a separate entry for Autumn Classic that says pairs only.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here:
I heard from iceLab that the Lombardia Trophy will be open to the public.

According to the current government rules, it will be at 50% capacity, which amounts to around 120 seats.

Entries should be out on August 17th.
Announcements are published for 6 ISU Challenger Series competitions to date:

CS Lombardia Trophy: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...84-cs-lombardia-trophy-2021-announcement/file
Entries by name are due not later than Friday August 13, 2021– 20:00 h local time Bergamo/Italy.

CS Autumn Classic International: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...utumn-classic-international-announcement/file
Entries by name are due not later than Friday, August 20, 2021 – 20:00 h (EST).
Skate Canada's event info page: https://skatecanada.ca/2021-autumn-classic-international/

CS & OQ Nebelhorn Trophy: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...-owg-qualifying-competition-announcement/file
Entries by name are due not later than Friday, August 27, 2021 – 20:00 h (local time Oberstdorf, GER).
Re-posting this event & ticket info link here:
I found a new information about Nebelhorn, there won't be a pre-sale, because audience capacity is limited to 50% and they don't know yet how many places will be needed for coaches and officials, so tickets can only be bought spontanously at the rink.
I guess that would make it a bit risky to travel to Oberstdorf only because of the skating, when they don't know yet how many tickets will be available.
CS Ondrej Nepela Trophy: no announcement online (note: Ice Skating Australia lists this event as cancelled in their International Assignments document but no official announcement has appeared online yet, AFAIK) - August 12 UPDATE: now listed as cancelled on ISU website

CS Finlandia Trophy
: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...25965-finlandia-trophy-2021-announcement/file
"Please note! In the event that Covid-19 situation does not allow the competition to be held or is subject to certain restrictions, this will be announced by 31 August, 2021."
Entries by name are due not later than Friday, 10th September 2021, at 8pm UTC (local time in the city of event).
Event website (all-event tickets are on sale now): https://www.finlandiatrophy.com/en/

CS Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy (OWG test event): https://www.isu.org/docman-document...-figure-skating-trophy-2021-announcement/file
Entries by name are due not later than Friday, 10th September, 2021 – 20:00 h (Beijing Time).

CS Denis Ten Memorial Challenge: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...enis-ten-memorial-challenge-announcement/file
Entries by name are due not later than Friday, September 24, 2021 – 20:00 h (local time Almaty).

Link to ISU's CS event page:

Last edited:

sandra_persch

CS Ondrej Nepela Trophy: no announcement online (note: Ice Skating Australia lists this event as cancelled in their International Assignments document but no official announcement has appeared online yet, AFAIK)

[/URL]

On the ISU calender the event is also listed as cancelled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information