2021-22 ISU Challenger Series announced

Andrea82

Re the few men entries at Autumn Classic

It doesn't help that in North America there are (I think) 3 Single not-invitentional international Single competitions between August and December and 2 of them are on the same week (Autumn Classic and U.S. International Figure Skating Classic).
I know there are many weeks with multiple events running simultaneously in Europe but given there are few North American events, in the future ISU should possibly work with local organisers on trying to schedule them better.

mackiecat

Not sure why skate Canada is trying to get Mark Gorsky who lives in Toronto but skates for Israel to compete and invite Bennet Tomen so the men’s field would be 8 from 4 countries. There must also be some US citizens who skate for a different federation that could be Invited to replace the country that dropped out

Andrea82

Not sure why skate Canada is trying to get Mark Gorsky who lives in Toronto but skates for Israel to compete and invite Bennet Tomen so the men’s field would be 8 from 4 countries. There must also be some US citizens who skate for a different federation that could be Invited to replace the country that dropped out
Mark Gorodnitsky is entered at U.S. International Figure Skating Classic along with Bychenko and Samohin. Philippines' Caluza is also entered there.
Actually Carillo is entered both at Autumn Classic and US International FS Classic. As they take place in the same week, he will have to drop out from one of them.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Mark Gorodnitsky is entered at U.S. International Figure Skating Classic along with Bychenko and Samohin. Philippines' Caluza is also entered there.
Actually Carillo is entered both at Autumn Classic and US International FS Classic. As they take place in the same week, he will have to drop out from one of them.
Are the full entries for the US International FS Classic posted?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
As it is not a Challenger this season, they don't have the Entries & Results link on ISU website. USFSA released the list yesterday:
Trusova!!!!!!! It's a shame that SCoB doesn't understand the necessity of the Eteri cam. We could have it in all three events! Kvitelashvili is entered for the men and Davis/Smolkin is entered for dance.

I really wonder if travel restrictions into and out of Canada have hampered the willingness of even North American-based skaters to select ACI vs US Classic. They get the same amount of points for World Standings and neither earns points for countries trying to qualify for the Olympic Team Event.

ETA - Just noticed that Garabedian/Proulx Senecal are now off the ACI list - they're doing the US Classic instead.

Last edited:

Hanna

Skating junkie
The Finlandia Trophy has been extended by one day (Thursday October 7th) because apparently there are so many entries and they wanted to give the chance to compete for as many as possible. :lol: :kickass:

Men and pairs will compete on Thursday and Friday, ladies and dance on Saturday and Sunday.

Last edited:

Karen-W

The Finlandia Trophy has been extended by one day (Thursday October 7th) because apparently there are so many entries and they didn't want to restrict. :lol:
That is awesome that they were able to extend and let as many skaters compete as possible!

rfisher

Let the skating begin
The Finlandia Trophy has been extended by one day (Thursday October 7th) because apparently there are so many entries and they wanted to give the chance to compete for as many as possible. :lol: :kickass:

Men and pairs will compete on Thursday and Friday, ladies and dance on Saturday and Sunday.
Have you heard if they are going to offer the ability to purchase viewing rights? It's the best $10 I spend all year.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Trusova!!!!!!! It's a shame that SCoB doesn't understand the necessity of the Eteri cam. We could have it in all three events! Kvitelashvili is entered for the men and Davis/Smolkin is entered for dance.

I vote for EteriCam too. More importantly, I vote for more bandwidth on whatever camera is there. Please, no freezing as with Cranberry!

Sylvia

TBD
2021 U.S. Classic will be streamed via Peacock Premium.

ETA:

Thanks! Here's today's announcement in English: https://www.finlandiatrophy.com/en/2021/08/27/finlandia-trophy-espoo-kilpailuun-lisapaiva/
– The Challenger competition just before the Finlandia Trophy was canceled in Slovakia [Nepela Memorial]. We believe this has contributed to the interest in our event. We came up with a solution in the interests of athletes. We wanted to give as many skaters as possible the opportunity to compete on the eve of the Olympic season, Outi Wuorenheimo, Secretary General of Finlandia Trophy Espoo, explained.

The extra date will cause a change to a previously published schedule. New daily schedule:
Thursday 7.10. starting at 13
Special Olympics skaters
Pair skating, short program
Men, short program

Friday 8.10. starting at 13
Pair skating, free skating
Men, free skating

Saturday 9.10. starting at 13
Ice dance, rhythm dance
Ladies, short program
Synchronized skating, short program

Sunday 10.10. starting at 13
Ice dance, free dance
Ladies, free skating

Subject to change.

Thursday ticket will go on sale on September 2nd, 2021. at 12 noon.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

A Kiss n’ Cry cam, at least...if not the outright RussiaOne EteriCam (TM).

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Pairs competition at the Autumn Classic (not part of the Challenger series so wasn't sure where to post it) - there will be four Canadian teams including the debut of Stellato&Deschamps! Was posted on the Skate Canada assignments page.

VANESSA JAMES / ERIC RADFORD
LORI-ANN MATTE / THIERRY FERLAND
DEANNA STELLATO-DUDEK / MAXIME DESCHAMPS
EVELYN WALSH / TRENNT MICHAUD

Also they don't have Schumacher listed but she is still on the ISU list. I hope she's not injured.

ETA: Schumacher is listed now, so false alarm.

Last edited:

Karen-W

When is Masters.? They should be well ready for this season :shuffle:

1-3 October
Why is it they can't do both? The events are 2 weeks apart. Surely that shouldn't be a challenge for a team as seasoned and experienced as P/C. And if one had to make a choice, one would surely want to skate against an international field rather than the weak domestic field that France has apart from they themselves. If they aren't careful, they will find themselves off the podium in Beijing entirely.

Frau Muller

Why is it they can't do both? The events are 2 weeks apart. ...

Maybe there’s a self-isolation period once one gets to France? It used to be two weeks. It would be cutting it close, as the ACI dance event ends on Sept 18. Or maybe they just need more time before showing their programs in full bloom.

emilieh

Why is it they can't do both? The events are 2 weeks apart. Surely that shouldn't be a challenge for a team as seasoned and experienced as P/C. And if one had to make a choice, one would surely want to skate against an international field rather than the weak domestic field that France has apart from they themselves. If they aren't careful, they will find themselves off the podium in Beijing entirely.

They've turned the cameras off at Masters when P/C skate at least once before, so perhaps it's a way for them to get their programs out while still controlling who sees them. (AFAIK FRA doesn't usually have a closed test skate opportunity like USA and CAN do)

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I don't think they have a real choice to NOT do Masters, so that's that. Hope all goes well for them this year.

mackiecat

They've turned the cameras off at Masters when P/C skate at least once before, so perhaps it's a way for them to get their programs out while still controlling who sees them. (AFAIK FRA doesn't usually have a closed test skate opportunity like USA and CAN do)
When I heard the news, this is what I thought also

nuge

They need to come out confident straightaway. They've had more time than other teams to train these programmes. Not going to worlds. Maybe this is the best way but i'm so disappointed was really looking forward to seeing them in September:(

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I think they will be fine with the four comps. Its not like they have much competition in reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information