2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Well then those skaters need to get with the program - it's all about repeating the same program over and over again but with a different piece of music playing! :p but I'm not mad at her for it, she did bring in really high PCS and it's a very very effective program that the Olympic audience hasn't seen yet. These two programs will be brand new to over 50% of the viewing audience..? (Trying to find the silver lining here, reaching for it actually)
It's a tempting thought! The only problem is that it might penalize skaters who use a program multiple times because of financial issues.

Dobre

It's a tempting thought! The only problem is that it might penalize skaters who use a program multiple times because of financial issues.

Yes. Poor Hanyu & Ashley.

Many skaters alternate new programs between the short & the free due to financial issues, but they don't seem to be the ones using three-season programs. It is the top athletes who think they have a medal on the line and already have the PCS in the bank with old programs. (You wouldn't have to consequence every athlete with a score. Athletes who reach the GP level, however, could be fined. Just as they are for re-using an exhibition. As exhibitions are rarely even aired on TV, one would think that new competitive programs would be more important for the growth & health of the sport).

Practically-speaking, the dancers are required to have a new short every season.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Yikes. Couldn't Ashley at least "Frankenstein" a program together with new music, like she did in 2014? I have to believe there's some other piece of music out there she can relate to effectively in a LP.

Having said that, I'm not a big Bla Bla Land :p fan, so I don't hate this news.

How many seasons did Petrova & Tikhonov use Four Seasons? I think part or all of 6 seasons?

:scream:

dinakt

Or maybe we'll see skaters do one SP and LP for their entire careers. That way they could really focus on the tech content.
This. I worry that when so many high profile skaters recycle programs, it could create a precedent, and it'll probably take a ISU's ruling to keep it in check. Perhaps one new program per year should be mandatory.

Willin

I'd love to see Ashley's Game of Thrones program that she was rumored to be working on. (And that costume! I'm sure it would be awesome)

But rather than doing a program for four seasons, maybe do one "season" each competitive season? Or, perhaps more interesting, if a skater used music from the same musical or movie for four years, but different pieces each year. (Ie. first year - All That Jazz, second year - Cell Block Tango, third year - Razzle Dazzle/Roxie, fourth year - Nowadays/Hot Honey Rag) I'd be interested to see the progression of that if anyone attempted it.

Bellanca

This. I worry that when so many high profile skaters recycle programs, it could create a precedent, and it'll probably take a ISU's ruling to keep it in check. Perhaps one new program per year should be mandatory.
It would set in motion a very bad precedent to normalize retread programs season after season. If the ISU should feel the need to address this, they will ... and they should.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
TSL tweeted that Ashley has gone back to Moulin Rouge. https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/901941977985536002 Not sure if it's true but thought I would post it here.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Is Ashley planning to remind the judges that she once won World silver with this (on home ice in an extraordinary scenario)? Going for the pity vote? I have a feeling that the USA will be fielding a team of three first-time ladies at the next Olympics. Gracie-Ashley-Polina, bye-bye. Amazing opportunity for Karen Chen and two up-and-comers.

FSfan107

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Is Ashley planning to remind the judges that she once won World silver with this (on home ice in an extraordinary scenario)? Going for the pity vote? I have a feeling that the USA will be fielding a team of three first-time ladies at the next Olympics. Gracie-Ashley-Polina, bye-bye. Amazing opportunity for Karen Chen and two up-and-comers.

So no Mirai, 2010 Olympian? Of course we still have a long ways to go, but at this point I expect the team to be Karen, Mirai, and Ashley.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I really do not want to see Moulin Rouge for a third time, but does anyone think Ashley wanted to just skate something to show what shape she was in, and maybe she's going to create a new long program between now and the Grand Prix? I'm hoping that's the case and that she's not returning to her 'comfort zone' for both programs. I never really got into the program and much preferred her free skates from the seasons prior to it.

And before people say that there isn't enough time to come up with something, remember that Savchenko and Szolkowy ditched their 2010 LP after the first Grand Prix and came up with Out of Africa (which was an absolute beauty) only a week or two before Skate Canada that year IIRC.

MAXSwagg

I get why Yuzu is repeating. The first to win back to back golds for 66 years is historic. Once in a generation, maybe two! But Ashley? Does she actually think she's going to get an individual medal? Lol

Marco

@Tony Wheeler if that was the case (just showing fitness), she could have still skated to LLL, or even last year's Muse program.

We may be seeing a lot of Black Swan / Swan Lake this season, but probably none as direct a competition as Kaetlyn.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
She went with two programs that she knows will work, that way she'll be spared any mistakes in the material later on and can focus on her GOE all season. She's the one capable of two brand new knockout programs though so it's disappointing. She's one of the ladies that you look forward to seeing what they come up with next (artistically) every season.

Why are you so hung up on Black Swan @Marco that program is 5 years old now and doesn't even suit her anymore :p she's outgrown it even more than MR. I'd still rather see Evita than a Black Swan rehash.. :saint:

Dobre

@Tony Wheeler
We may be seeing a lot of Black Swan / Swan Lake this season, but probably none as direct a competition as Kaetlyn.

I think Kaetlyn, Sotskova, & Zagitova make enough Swan Lake among the top ladies.

And I doubt Ashley cared that much about direct competition. Karen is doing Moulin Rouge, and she is most definitely direct competition for Ashley.

aftershocks

Banned Member
... if they tell Vincent to wear blue, he better wear blue. If they say jump, he needs to say how high and how many times (and where)? :puppet: :shuffle:

Ah so, eh? :p I guess they declining from telling Nathan anything at all ..., just bowing their heads in prayer with their fingers crossed. :lol: And btw, Mr. Javi don't seem to listen to them quite so well.

Oh, and I guess they don't see 'Shoman' as too much of a threat to their God. :D

In all honesty, I think Vincent's team realized on their own (and they are surely aware of responses to the program from Vincent's fans) that R&J music did not seem a good fit for Vincent. He did not seem to be interpreting well or keeping up with the music. Especially not the way it had been put together with picking the music between two options as an afterthought once the skeleton of the program had been created.

A good choice by Vincent and his team to scrap R&J and get assistance from Jeff Buttle with MR. It's better for Vincent to feel motivated by his music rather than overly focusing on quads. He changed his sp music last season to something better as well. If his team even knew about negative goings-on from Hanyu's fans :blah:, I doubt it made any difference to them. If R&J was a program that was working fine for Vincent, they would not have changed it regardless of what Hanyu's fans think.

hanca

Values her privacy
That's a new definition of overused.
It comes to my mind how Sui/Han were criticised for using the western program for three seasons at the end of junior and beginning of their senior career. If I recall correctly, people here were saying that using a program for three seasons is unheard of. Now it is becoming quite common.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
:wall:
I for once was excited about the La La Land programs. I loved the movie/score and I think if done properly with good choreography by a top skater, o a musical skater (like Firus's FS), could have been a real hit, especially with international crowds at the Olys.
For Chock/Bates could have been a more contemporary American in Paris vibe, Wagner strong and dramatic with 'Audition'.

S

SmallFairy

I already spoke my words about recycling earlier in the thread... Not gonna go into it again, but I do want to say I have no wish seeing Ashley doing MR for the zilliont time :slinkaway

It doesn't exactly give a good impression. Like Sale & Pelletier who only had one long program their entire career. (Yes, I know, but they always came back to that one...). And no, I'm not an Ashley hater, I like her. She's fun. But this is just silly.

mollymgr

How are ice dancers managing to make new programs every year?
I guess the excuse would be that ice dancers don't have to nail their jumps. The Short Dance is not reusable unless the rhythm is repeated again. H/B are repeating their Free Dance this season and B/S did too a while ago, so there are examples of ice dancers repeating as well. There is no rule to say you can't reuse your program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information