2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

SkateFanBerlin

LOL Nice try. He may have used different musics but the expression and emotion he invoked is the same. The general personality of the CHARACTER he portrays is the same. Of the top men, Javier Fernandez has the least diverse programs. Even Patrick has more diversity in the programs he's portrayed.

Anyway, even if Vincent's team changed the program because of what they're reading on Youtube, that's Charlie's fault. And yes, Med fans are now Yuzu fans and vice-versa, but they don't sit around and wait to criticize others. It can't be helped if they are the current stars of figure skating, and no other skater faces the degree of pressures they do.
LOL to your own self! I know a little about Opera Buffa (Rossini) and many of the gestures were taken directly from the form. And his Verdi program - how was he used the same emotion for Nabucco vs. La Traviata much less Elvis!

nimi

Did someone catch Törn/Partanen at Lake Placid International? Any idea what their SD music was? I searched but didn't find program info or videos (only their FD was on youtube and even that was blocked...) and their ISU bio isn't updated yet.

Last edited:

Dobre

Did someone catch Törn/Partanen at Lake Placid International? Any idea what their SD music was? I searched but didn't find program info or videos (only their FD was on youtube and even that was blocked...) and their ISU bio isn't updated yet.

Sorry, I have no idea/memory of what their SD music was. It was a rough skate, and I just let that memory go.

Sylvia

TBD
From the Lake Placid competition thread ;):
Torn & Partanen. (Another song with "boom chicka boom" in the lyrics. 4 cuts of music. Too much. They repeated one of them).
I also found a brief SD practice clip posted by Torn in July: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWainnjBh4b/?hl=en&taken-by=ceciliatorn

ETA:

ISU bios generally are not updated until before the start of and/or during JGP and Senior Grand Prix. IIRC, ISU bios are not always updated for ISU Challengers; I think it depends on whether or not the federations submit their skaters' updated info to the ISU in a timely fashion.

Last edited:

nimi

Thanks @Dobre & @Sylvia!

That SD description doesn't sound too promising... Not a big fan of them, personally, but I'm kinda hoping for (although not betting on) them to snatch an Oly spot for Finland at Nebelhorn...

Dobre

Thanks @Dobre & @Sylvia!

That SD description doesn't sound too promising... Not a big fan of them, personally, but I'm kinda hoping for (although not betting on) them to snatch an Oly spot for Finland at Nebelhorn...

I like them, and they can do better. Perhaps they have taken the feedback they received on the SD at Lake Placid to heart & reworked the program. (It should not be too hard to cut one of four pieces of music). And if I remember correctly now, it was a strange configuration, in that the first & third piece were the same rather than the first & last. I'm thinking Latin isn't likely to be their strength. Their Funny Face FD is much more them, IMO. They have a classy look. Their Witchcraft SD was so lovely & not just because of the dress. But still, they could do better than their current SD with a more cohesive concept. I would like to see them qualify at Nebelhorn as well. They are going to Lombardia so they are making a good run at being prepared. They need to be solid, I think.

MAXSwagg

LOL to your own self! I know a little about Opera Buffa (Rossini) and many of the gestures were taken directly from the form. And his Verdi program - how was he used the same emotion for Nabucco vs. La Traviata much less Elvis!

LOL to you and your condescending response, as if you think I don't know a thing about all of the major opera genres (buffa, comique, seria, singspiel, etc.). Though I doubt Javi actually KNOWS anything himself about these genres, other than what's been told to him. Anyway, you're playing with words (or trying to). It's not like he does some opera program and then does Chopin. Can he even do a Romantic genre like those Chopin or Brahms or something? Now THAT would impress me at this point for him...

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^ Is this his third year doing that? It can't be just the second...???..

Who else is doing this...Knierims...and anyone else? Capp and LaNott?

added later: Maybe it was Capp and LaNott who have already done it twice? I feel like some Italians have done this many times.....

VGThuy

I think it's his second time skating to Chaplin as a competitive program and first time as a SP. He did do it as an exhibition last season.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
According to Wikipedia, one of Fernandez' exhibition programs last season was Chaplin, and it was his 2012-13 FS. David Wilson is listed as the choreographer for all three.

Sylvia

TBD
Cappellini/Lanotte brought back Chaplin as an exhibition number at Fantasy on Ice in Japan this past May: https://www.facebook.com/cappellini...501445843402/1411501472243390/?type=3&theater
They have yet to announce their 2017-18 programs, right?

Carolina Kostner skated "Ne me quitte pas" at the same FoI show in May (cc: prescient @DobrinFan):
Kostner 'Ne me quitte pas' http://radikal.ru/video/gwCoF6D6kEw
3 jumping passes, 3 spins, footwork, 2:50 mins, new SP :confused: I wonder...
ETA:

Michael Christian Martinez's SP is to "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-oas-skater-updates.98605/page-3#post-5117175

Last edited:

Dobre

^^^ Is this his third year doing that? It can't be just the second...???..

Who else is doing this...Knierims...and anyone else? Capp and LaNott?

added later: Maybe it was Capp and LaNott who have already done it twice? I feel like some Italians have done this many times.....

Cappellini & Lanotte did City Lights in competition last season only. Despite their critics, they have had 25 different competitive programs in 12 competitive seasons together. (Find me a singles skater who can match that, and I will be pleased:)).

Fun fact: This will be C&L's third season of Latin dance. Their first season together was 2005-2006, and they skated to . . . Historia de un Amor. And This is a Man's World. Both already being used by other dance teams this season.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Michael Martinez also has a new free skate to El Tango de Roxanne (this version with vocals included).
Thanks - I came across a MCM fan account's tweet last night that mentioned he was also re-using "Tango de los Exilados" (from his 2011-12 junior FS) and combining it with "El Tango de Roxanne": https://twitter.com/TropicalFrost/status/901687521087692800
ETA: This account has posted MCM's SEA Games FS video in 3 parts which confirms the 2 pieces of music.

Last edited:

chapis

I'm beginning to believe that skaters just want to annoy us, now that they realize that La la land is not overused, they abandon it to get something that really bothers us. If this is true, I would not mind if she does not make the Olympic team, enough is enough.

arakwafan2006

Ashley has had a tough time selecting a free skate that she believed in and that worked the way MR has. Some of that is unfortunate. Programs need time and space to breathe and grow. That said, I believe that she may want outside input from other choreographers because second guessing Shae is concerning. I hope she does not find that she's squeezed all the toothpaste from the tube though in terms of MR delivering yet again.I also hope that if she continues skating she explores more styles than the MR one. That is some of the reason she is having a tough time recreating that magic.

I know one thing, she will have NO excuse for under rotated jumps and not nailing the 3/3 in the beginning or the Loop/ 1/2 loop/ Sal in the second half. I was looking forward to her new material.

Last edited:

arakwafan2006

:yawn: This is getting ridiculous, falling back on old programs (like a safety net) especially if they've been used a million times by the same skater. A cop out.

I'm glad they're not taking advice from you. You have a lot of nerve telling an athlete to NOT use a vehicle they've had tremendous success with in the most important year of their career. It's not a cop out, it's smart and it's also the best way to ensure they won't have regrets... because... you know... YOU will not be anywhere around to talk them through it if they take your advice.

Fans are a double edges sword for skaters. Experts are telling the athlete, " if you know you can deliver with this when it counts, don't waste half the season skating to music and choreography you don't believe in" and fans are saying stuff like " you are doing nothing more than copping out and not satisfying my desire to see you try something i haven't seen before."

I hope that EVERY skater using recycled programs during this season will have made the right decision for them! I also hope they don't read comments from fans before the season not supporting them through what was probably an agonizing decision to make. They are very aware of the demands and expectations that fans and judges have but it's their life!!!

Dobre

Sigh. I would really not mind if TSL turns out to be wrong here.

If this is true then she's just joining the line of other skaters who are doing that.

More than that. She would be joining Hanyu in using a three-season program. (And both of them reusing their other program as well).

If athletes can be fined for re-using an exhibition two GP seasons in a row, perhaps something similar needs to be put in place for competition. One would think that, barring major injury, one new program a year should not be too much to ask.

Edit: I just realized I'm going to see her do the same two programs at SC as two years ago.

That said, I believe that she may want outside input from other choreographers because second guessing Shae is concerning.

Are we to assume that she changed programs before receiving feedback from Champs Camp?

FSfan107

Okay I've been a little out of the loop for a couple months. Ashley has potentially gone back to MR, Vincent Zhou is using it, and there is a rumor V/M might use it? Who else is using this music? It needs to be banned! LOL.

Also, what previous program is Hanyu using again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information