2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Okay I've been a little out of the loop for a couple months. Ashley has potentially gone back to MR, Vincent Zhou is using it, and there is a rumor V/M might use it? Who else is using this music? It needs to be banned! LOL.

Also, what previous program is Hanyu using again?

This is all the fault of those La La Land gripers. Hope you're good and ashamed of yourselves. Enjoy your 9,254 Moulin Rouges. :lol:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
It's an amazing program. Not unhappy about seeing it again, but I hope works for her. I'm wondering if there aren't some physical issues that are holding her back this year. The post-concussion issues she discussed in the ESPN article were scary. Granted, they were trying to emphasize how tough skaters need to be, but I doubt she was making up any of that stuff. Best of luck to her this year.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
TSL tweeted that Ashley has gone back to Moulin Rouge. https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/901941977985536002 Not sure if it's true but thought I would post it here.

Say what??? 3 YEARS????? lol

well, Im not a fan of that la la stuff so ill take it.....

Looks like I need to bump Moulin Rouge up to #1 on the ole warhorse list... Will make me sad to have to remove POTO from that lifetime achievement spot.....

P.S. does that mean she got negative critiques at Champs Camp?

P.S.S. well, Im looking forward to a third dress... shed done the red, the white.. whats left? The colorful Can Can style dress? lol

Last edited:

Bellanca

I'm glad they're not taking advice from you. You have a lot of nerve telling an athlete to NOT use a vehicle they've had tremendous success with in the most important year of their career. It's not a cop out, it's smart and it's also the best way to ensure they won't have regrets... because... you know... YOU will not be anywhere around to talk them through it if they take your advice.

Fans are a double edges sword for skaters. Experts are telling the athlete, " if you know you can deliver with this when it counts, don't waste half the season skating to music and choreography you don't believe in" and fans are saying stuff like " you are doing nothing more than copping out and not satisfying my desire to see you try something i haven't seen before."

I hope that EVERY skater using recycled programs during this season will have made the right decision for them! I also hope they don't read comments from fans before the season not supporting them through what was probably an agonizing decision to make. They are very aware of the demands and expectations that fans and judges have but it's their life!!!
Ok, to be fair, your response is certainly an opinion that is coming as a fan who has had a genuine, passionate, emotional and heartfelt reaction toward a particular skater which you are obviously quite fond of - which is fine, but relax because AW is not too concerned about any of this. ;) She shouldn't be, as it is her call ... and simply our opinions. ;)

This post has been edited so that I could respond with the luxury of having more time to do so.

Last edited:

chapis

Okay I've been a little out of the loop for a couple months. Ashley has potentially gone back to MR, Vincent Zhou is using it, and there is a rumor V/M might use it? Who else is using this music? It needs to be banned! LOL.

Also, what previous program is Hanyu using again?

Mainly El tango de Roxane, Karen Chen and Michael C. Martínez. And I think there are some more.

And Yuzuru is repeating Chopin (Ballade 1) for 3rd time, and Semei 2nd time.

Dobre

Mainly El tango de Roxane, Karen Chen and Michael C. Martínez. And I think there are some more.

Andrew Torgashev, Grant Hochstein, and Manta & Johnson. (Yikes! U.S. Nationals).

I've seen six competitive La La Lands thus far this season, and know of five more beyond that and three exhibitions. Many of them are juniors. I wonder if the senior skaters are hearing that it is too juniorish. But, of course, the whole reason Chock & Bates and Ashley announced early was to discourage others from using the music so it's not that surprising that we have seen it emerge in other disciplines & age levels.

Last edited:

manhn

Liam firus skated a stunning version of lala land at the Quebec summer champs - minus jump issues. You just need to have the right skill set to work w the music

He also skated to Moulin Rouge awhile ago.

I was looking forward to seeing La La Land. What are C&L doing?

Willin

Ashley's Moulin Rouge has been the most bearable one for me, so I have no problem with her going back to it. She also had her most successful season skating that program, so why not try it for the Olympics? TBH, I hate La La Land's music, and I don't think it's near firey enough for a personality as strong as Ashley's, so I'm not exactly sad to see that go.
Of course, it's not confirmed yet so who knows if it's even true.

Dobre

I was looking forward to seeing La La Land.

There really is no need to deprive yourself.

Yelim Kim https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnPCkUk07WI
(Over 22,000 views of this. That's quite an audience for a Junior Korean skater prior to the regular season).

Wolfkostin & Zhao https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe88mw8CIQQ
(They won the novice dance event at Lake Placid)

Nugumanova https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DuqQEjPEqU

Jordan Lazarus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htyp4pGHi_Q
(Fittingly the very first performance of the 2017-2018 ISU season)

I cannot find Liam's. I cannot remember which of the young men in Brisbane used it. And I already posted the link for the best dance program of it that I've seen thus far.

Last edited:

honey

I think Moulin Rouge was far and away Ashley's best long program. However, I think three seasons is really pushing it. Combined with her also repeating the short program, it's a bit :yawn:. That being said, she's bringing back her two best programs and I'm sure it will be fine in the end. What matters most is feeling 100% comfortable with the material, especially at an olympics.

(But I never wanna hear another word about how Sale/Pelletier shouldn't have brought back Love Story after what's happening this season)

Marco

I never felt LLL had that build up to the big ta-da ending that she needed. I liked that program, but three seasons in pushing it. Well, at least it was good luck for Victor Petrenko.

I bet she wanted to go back to Black Swan but that was already claimed by Kaetlyn. :p

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Far be it from me to fail to lament a warhorse, but having never seen Moulin Rouge, if skating fans weren't telling me that "Come What May" and "El Tango de Roxanne" were from the same movie, I wouldn't know it....:)

And both Alexa and Chris and Dalilah said that, having performed them so few times last season, they gave serious thought to keeping last year's programs (including "Come What May") this year.
Can you imagine? ( and *they* could not have been accused of recycling:p)

aftershocks

Banned Member
Vincent has changed his free skate from Romeo and Juliet to Moulin Rouge.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/08/24/250373458

:blah: I really liked the R&J program. I've never understood the Moulin Rouge love with all these skaters.

Vincent definitely needed to make a change because unfortunately the Romeo & Juliet music was overwhelming him, from what I saw during his summer debut comp. We'll see how he fares with Moulin Rouge.

I'm surprised if Ashley is going back to MR! Why hold onto La La Land this long and then make a change? It didn't go over well at Champs camp?

Wyliefan

Far be it from me to fail to lament a warhorse, but having never seen Moulin Rouge, if skating fans weren't telling me that "Come What May" and "El Tango de Roxanne" were from the same movie, I wouldn't know it....:)

Well, everyone always talks about LLL as if it weren't made up of at least eight or nine different songs, so . . .

aftershocks

Banned Member
I bet she wanted to go back to Black Swan but that was already claimed by Kaetlyn.

Well, I'd actually prefer seeing a renewed Black Swan from Ashley rather than a new interpretation by Kaetlyn. Still, there is other music out there. Why not look for it and be bold rather than spending so much time working on something you drop at the penultimate point before the new season? What's wrong with Sunset Boulevard for Ashley? I guess with the last minute change, she needs to go back to something familiar rather than trying to create new choreo at this stage.

Re Caro's sp, her dress is very pretty and I enjoy the choreo on her.

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I dunno about this Ash :shuffle: but those two programs will most definitely work for her. Are there any dresses for the movie that she hasn't already made? :lol:

And for chrissakes what a slap in the face to Jackie Wong :( it was still worth it for him to make that fluff though, he did a great job putting it together and we got a nice look into the process. :rockstar:

I finally get used to something I originally dislike, and then syke - I'm just kidding!! :barrelI forgive her (but Mirai has the edge over all of the US ladies now this year IMO).

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
If that becomes routine I think the ISU should impose some sort of deduction for it. Maybe like a 9.5 ceiling on the PCS once you get to the third year, 9.0 ceiling for the 4th year, etc. There has to be creativity and artistic growth, if this ever happened in ice dance the team would be crucified for it (like Drobiazko and Vanagas in 2001).

At the very least Ashley is whoring out a program about a whore house. :shuffle: so she's staying true to her theme by going back there so often.

And she did warn us already last year with her LP lyrics "let's start over again" :p

Firedancer

I was afraid LLL would not be enough to provide the performance Ashley is looking for. And she was going to end up in the same position she was in four years ago, not liking it and trying to piece something together between Nationals and the Olympics. But TSL's tweet says she showed up at Champs Camp with MR. So at least she has already made the changes and is not doing it in January.

Three seasons is a lot but these were her two best programs. And last time she brought it back, she made a lot of updates so hopefully she did that again. She is far from the only one repeating programs.

Wyliefan

If that becomes routine I think the ISU should impose some sort of deduction for it. Maybe like a 9.5 ceiling on the PCS once you get to the third year, 9.0 ceiling for the 4th year, etc. There has to be creativity and artistic growth, if this ever happened in ice dance the team would be crucified for it (like Drobiazko and Vanagas in 2001).

It's a tempting thought! The only problem is that it might penalize skaters who use a program multiple times because of financial issues.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
There has to be creativity and artistic growth, if this ever happened in ice dance the team would be crucified for it (like Drobiazko and Vanagas in 2001).

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I LOVE my D&V!!!!!!

how bout this:

1. Warhorse violation for me

and 2. Repetitive program violations for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information