2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

Marco

Why are you so hung up on Black Swan @Marco that program is 5 years old now and doesn't even suit her anymore :p she's outgrown it even more than MR. I'd still rather see Evita than a Black Swan rehash.. :saint:

It was her breakout program. Many of us fall in love with her starting that season. And there have been calls for her to bring that program back every single season.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
I'm one of those who was actually looking forward to the La La Land influx, so count me in as disappointed. Hoping MR is a placeholder, but I'm not holding my breath.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
How are ice dancers managing to make new programs every year?
Beside the mandatory pattern and rhythm, the type of footwork changes. But skaters have used material for one phase for another program in another year: for example, V/M did "Hip Hip Chin Chin" as part of a SD and FD.

I don't see a problem rule-wise with repeating programs: this isn't like when skating was at its peak, and there were televised pro events every month with the big names from the Olympics repeating their program over and over and spectators getting bored. In general, I find that a repeat works fine for 1.5 seasons for the top skaters, and then, in general, loses energy, so there's a trade-off. For developing skaters, it's a way to skate into a program, and where the team can experiment to see whether they should create programs at the edge of a skater's skills and on adrenaline or whether they compete better with what they are more solid with.

lahaa968

Is there any confirmation of TSL's tweet? (I know that it claims that it is confirmed, but ...)

The tea is that Ashley skated MR for her free skate at Champs Camp. Unsure if she has officially switched or is dabbling, though I would hope by August she has made up her mind...

Jammers

So Ashley is repeating her SP for a 2nd time and now is doing MR for a 3rd season? So much for being an artistic skater if she was more versatile with the kind of music and style she skates to she wouldn't need to keep repeating programs.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^ Actually the more I think about what you just said the more I kinda believe it.. But I still love her and want her to win.

I do think tho she needs more practice competitions. I do think in the Oly year it is beneficial if you can qualify yourself to the GPF and show the judges "Here we are 2 months before and we are the Top 6."

I worry for her < and <<. Not getting the experience of some B's under her belt I feel she'll be too nervous at her first GP thus resulting in tightness with translates to < and <<.

kittysk8ts

Ugh. All the program repeats. I understand the rationale, and I know it's selfish, but I really look forward to new material each season. If it is a program that was under-used, then no problem, but otherwise I tend to be slightly disappointed. :slinkaway I am sure I will survive, lol.

teacakes

Well, what's the likelihood of her rejigging it say 50%? Or a slightly different musical cut?

If athletes can be fined for re-using an exhibition two GP seasons in a row, perhaps something similar needs to be put in place for competition. One would think that, barring major injury, one new program a year should not be too much to ask.
Wait, seriously??

P.S.S. well, Im looking forward to a third dress... shed done the red, the white.. whats left? The colorful Can Can style dress? lol
Sooo many tbh. The costume design for Moulin Rouge! is on point. eg. her opening outfit for 'Diamonds', the pink one or even: this one *_*

The real question is whether she'll get a new dress for HHCC or just use Marissa's lol

gkelly

This. I worry that when so many high profile skaters recycle programs, it could create a precedent,

The precedent was set a long long time ago, before there was any television coverage of skating at all, skaters only competed two or three times a year, and everyone was a strict amateur. Using the same music, whether in snippets or in whole programs, used to be entirely normal.

New programs every year probably became more common during the 1990s when media coverage and number of competitions per skater per year increased significantly. And even then repeats were common.

and it'll probably take a ISU's ruling to keep it in check. Perhaps one new program per year should be mandatory.

Good luck figuring out how to adjudicate that equitably.

So much for being an artistic skater if she was more versatile with the kind of music and style she skates to she wouldn't need to keep repeating programs.

Kurt Browning comes to mind as a skater who became known as an artistic skater who was exceptionally versatile in the kind of music and styles he skated to, and he repeated programs. Being artistic and repeating programs aren't mutually exclusive.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
So, I missed a whole day on FSU just to come back to 3 pages (!!!) of discussing Ashley going back to MR?!
Seriously...guys...:shuffle: there must be something else in your lives...

Any :sekret: maybe from that obscure Russian competition where Kolyada etc. skated?

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
It was her breakout program. Many of us fall in love with her starting that season. And there have been calls for her to bring that program back every single season.

I have a feeling that many of you would get a wake up call and realize that the ship has sailed... :confused: if she decided to bring it back. She's evolved so much since Black Swan, that was her breakout program as you said. Oh and it was 6 years ago (not 5).

Besides why do the program that Osmond is doing? You do the opposite of Osmond if I were her.. but I'm not so she's doing MR again. At least her SP is way more fun and interesting than "Summertime". :)

The last thing I wanted this year with Ashley is some kind of buzz kill with her programs. :( oh well, the fans will get through this somehow. Maybe she'll be much more ready on the GP this season??

Patinita

But are we sure that just because TSL said it, that it's true? Didn't she use the same jump layout 2 years in a row? She could have skated to MR at Champs Camp to put the jumps out there and to just psych everyone out. LOL!
Did she get negative feedback from LLL prior to camp and she's scrambling to come up with something? Or, is she keeping it under wraps until the right moment? Wonder how Jackie Wong feels after making a video about "The Making of LLL?" IF she does go back to MR....I wouldn't mind too much.:dog:

Marco

I have a feeling that many of you would get a wake up call and realize that the ship has sailed... :confused: if she decided to bring it back. She's evolved so much since Black Swan, that was her breakout program as you said. Oh and it was 6 years ago (not 5).

Besides why do the program that Osmond is doing? You do the opposite of Osmond if I were her.. but I'm not so she's doing MR again. At least her SP is way more fun and interesting than "Summertime". :)

I never said I wanted it brought back. I said I bet she wanted to redo it but it was already claimed by Kaetlyn so she moved back to MR.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Forgive me, I still had "oh ****" on the brain from hearing the news so I didn't completely think it through. It's not so bad anymore though, she needs to rebuild momentum and win GP events/medals/make the final. This could help the chances of that.

I still doubt she wanted to go back to Black Swan either way, why would she want to go back to a Phillip Mills program after that whole fiasco? I think she'd probably want to forget about that and do something that's only associated with Shae-Lynn.

Marco

Didn't Philip say in the TSL interview that it's all water under the bridge between the two of them and Ashley went to congratulate him after one of his students skated really well?

Anyway, I share the concern with the others above about her claim to being an artist or performer but somehow still clinging onto the same materials time and again. But, if this has to be done, I would really, really want to see better elements this season. She had said it every off season and the elements weren't really better at all, but this season THEY HAVE TO BE BETTER.

She has relatively easier path to GP medals compared to others but I am not sure about making GPF and more unsure about a GPF medal. I do think that if she medals at the GPs, her spot at the PC team should be quite safe. For SC, her competitors are Kaetlyn, Marin, Anna P, Maria S and Karen. For SA, her competitors are Gabby, Satoko, Anna P, Polina T and Karen. My prediction for her best finish is two bronze medals and just an alternate for GPF. Realistically, I see her being off the podium in both events.

Last edited:

Dobre

Realistically, I see her being off the podium in both events.

She may not medal. There are no easy ladies fields on the GP. But she is usually ready early (not all of the ladies on those lists are), and both her events are in North America. The last time Ashley did not medal at Skate Canada/Skate America was 2007.

Last edited:

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
This doesn't totally surprise me. Ashley has expressed repeatedly that she struggles to learn new choreography. Judging on her recent comments, seems like she is focusing a lot on jump tech (rotation/height, more intricate entrances). I'm guessing her rationale is that she feels like she has more time and energy to work on her tech issues if she doesn't have to spend so much time nailing down choreography.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Maybe Ashley got wind of the V/M rumor this off-season, Karen's new SP, Vincent... and said "wait a minute this program is mine!" She didn't want anybody to steal her thunder with a MR program. :drama: (Still reaching for that silver lining)

@Moka-Ananas surely you have better things to do with your own life than scold people for loving Ashley Wagner? She's very popular and lots of people love her. Im afraid you'll be very unhappy/annoyed quite often this season, might want to get used to that scrolling option.

SkateFanBerlin

So, I missed a whole day on FSU just to come back to 3 pages (!!!) of discussing Ashley going back to MR?!
Seriously...guys...:shuffle: there must be something else in your lives...

Any :sekret: maybe from that obscure Russian competition where Kolyada etc. skated?
Better than 3 pages discussing long vs short sleeves. (Just being funny here; no offense intended)

gkelly

She has relatively easier path to GP medals compared to others but I am not sure about making GPF and more unsure about a GPF medal. I do think that if she medals at the GPs, her spot at the PC team should be quite safe.

What is "the PC team"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information