Savchenko/Massot Fan Thread

Quadjump

Who can pls explain why they changed the old twists entry into the new one?
There is no level 5. There are 5 features but only 4 levels. This is understandeable. Otherwise all pairs would try the same features to get level 4 and every twist would look the same.

They once reached level 4 at worlds SP without the Tano. But as the new season began they continued to receive level 3 at nebelhorn because the entry was not fast enough... Bruno is a tall guy and Aljona seems to need much time for the split. So they successfully tried the tano to get level 4 at Skate Canada.

I do not know why they changed the entry this time to an easier one. Maybe Aljona was not comfortable with the first one. In addition there is no sense in make in the Twist more and more difficult because they already receive score next to the maximum.

MsZem

I see the sea
Is there an article mentioning his back problems? Just wondering as I've not seen such a link yet.
It's near the end of the IN article that you linked to yesterday ;) Bruno is getting physical therapy for his back, it's not clear from the article how serious it is.

clairecloutier

I was looking for a link regarding the "serious back problems" @Quadjump mentioned. Also the referenced comment from Aliona that they almost didn't compete at SA.

J

Jeschke

I was looking for a link regarding the "serious back problems" @Quadjump mentioned. Also the referenced comment from Aliona that they almost didn't compete at SA.
http://www.sport.de/news/ne2983648/savchenko-massot-nach-wacklern-vorerst-nur-dritte/ ;)

via GoogleTranslate
The Oberstdorf couple runner Aliona Savchenko and Bruno Massot are in third place in the figure skating Grand Prix competition Skate America in Lake Placid after the short program (72.55 points).

About two and a half months before the Olympic Winter Games in Pyeongchang Massot crashed at the triple Salchow and the pair running pirouette after the five-time World Champion and her partner also not perfect.

In front of the freestyle, the Canadians Meagan Duhamel / Eric Radford are in the lead with 75.37 points. Second are the Chinese Yu Xiaoyu and Zhang Hao (73.67).

Massot complained after the lecture new health problems. "Actually makes me the Salchow," "I have the competition stress again severe back pain.

Savchenko promises best form for the Olympics

Savchenko reacted in her dissatisfaction quite monosyllabic. "We've had a tough time and have decided shortly before that we'll come, but we'll be in good shape when it matters."

Nathan Chen (104.12) ahead of compatriot Adam Rippon (89.04) and Russian Sergei Voronov (87.51).

clairecloutier

Thanks @Jeschke.

Also here's a new profile of them by Hiro Yoshida for Europe on Ice: https://europeonice.com/2017/11/24/savchenko-and-massot-enjoying-the-moment/

Interesting tidbits:

--At least at the time of this interview, they were very committed to going for the throw 3A later in the season. They want it to be their defining, or special, element. They are more committed to going for throw 3A than throw quad or quad twist.

--Bruno initially did not like the flamenco music choice for the SP, which was suggested by Aliona. Now he has grown to like it more.

Quadjump

Thanks @Jeschke.

Also here's a new profile of them by Hiro Yoshida for Europe on Ice: https://europeonice.com/2017/11/24/savchenko-and-massot-enjoying-the-moment/

Interesting tidbits:

--At least at the time of this interview, they were very committed to going for the throw 3A later in the season. They want it to be their defining, or special, element. They are more committed to going for throw 3A than throw quad or quad twist.

--Bruno initially did not like the flamenco music choice for the SP, which was suggested by Aliona. Now he has grown to like it more.
very nice article.

Bruno mentioned the Axel to be a hard element for him because he does not fell Aljona´s movement like he feels them during other throws. They now try to do it more flat.

Aljona said that their BV is already high even without the Quad Twist. I think the Quad twist is less risky and could bring 11,5 points, if level 3. So I really recomment them to let the Axel go.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
They reacted well after the lackluster SP. Great LP, now they have to really nail all their elements if they want to have a slight chance against Sui/Han.

Last edited:

Xela M

The should skip nothing and use their competitions to clear up their program under pressure.

They missed around 5 points technically today. Their GOE in the second half is unreal good!

Are they purposely doing a 3-1-1 SBS jump combination or are my eyes deceiving me? Wasn't it meant to be 3-2-2?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
The should skip nothing and use their competitions to clear up their program under pressure.

They missed around 5 points technically today. Their GOE in the second half is unreal good!
ITA. They can't afford to lose points in the SP. While Aliona can skate to anything, a tango was not the best fit for Bruno. Especially, given Stolbova/Klimov's Argentine tango is superb. So, they need to nail every element and get the maximum points possible. Bruno needs the competitions and they need to be judged directly against Sui/Han and Stolbova/Klimov before the Olympics so they can adjust accordingly. Clean, they'll win against James/Cipres. Their programs are sexy and intense, but Vanessa's skating skills don't compare to Aliona's. Sui and Stolbova's do. The weakness for Stolbova and Savchenko are their partners. Klimov's injury is impacting their twist and well, Bruno is doing the best he can. If he does his part, she'll take care of hers.

I think pairs will be the most interesting event of the Olympics this season.

Bellanca

I think they should skip GPF and rest up for the Olympics.
Nah! But, you know, the GP’s are suddenly the end-all, be-all in some of the other threads right now! I love when the GPF or the GP's themselves become essential when it serves a fan favorite or their fans' agenda. Especially, if it gets them on the Oly team ... then it is ALL IN! and HELL YES! GP ALL THE WAY! Otherwise, the GP/GPF is considered a dental appointment. ;) Tee-hee! :lol:

IMHO, Aljona and Bruno should go to the GPF and
:kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :rollin:

umronnie

Slim is not none. They still have over 2 mos. to get ready!
I am very encouraged by their SA performance. Just crunching the math:

They got 72.55 pts for a so-so SP with a major mistake. With a resobanly landed 3S they would have scored around 77 pts. Their PCS were a little low, by their standard, so a little more effort would put them around 78 pts. S/H got 79.43 @ NHK.

They got 150.58 pts for a free program with a 3S-1T-1T (and negative GoE). Calculating for a 3S-2T-2T would put them around 154 pts. S/H got 155.10 @ NHK.

It could come down, as Simon Reed saysm "to the nitty gritty", but they do have a chance. And hey, if they win silver it is one better than before and reason for them to go 4 more years...

Meoima

I am very encouraged by their SA performance. Just crunching the math:

They got 72.55 pts for a so-so SP with a major mistake. With a resobanly landed 3S they would have scored around 77 pts. Their PCS were a little low, by their standard, so a little more effort would put them around 78 pts. S/H got 79.43 @ NHK.

They got 150.58 pts for a free program with a 3S-1T-1T (and negative GoE). Calculating for a 3S-2T-2T would put them around 154 pts. S/H got 155.10 @ NHK.

It could come down, as Simon Reed saysm "to the nitty gritty", but they do have a chance. And hey, if they win silver it is one better than before and reason for them to go 4 more years...
A clean S/M can win over a clean S/H IMO. But that means they have to be absolutely clean, no mistake and high quality in all elements which of course is not that easy.
But anyway, I am glad to see they getting a silver at the Olympic. Their programs are truly masterpices. She is really a gift to the pair skating.

Quadjump

Yeah. A clean S/M have a chance against a clean S/H. But clean means crystal clean.

Aljona and Bruno get a bit more GOE for non-jump elements (rightly so) and SBS jumps (when clean), but S/H have this Quad twist and insane throws.

But I think this discussion is too theoretical. IMO the decider will be Sui´s solo jumps and Aljona´s decision to go for the 3ATh or not.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
To make it more intense, if neither are clean, Stolbova and Tarasova are right there ready to swoop in for the kill. I'll be a wreck through both comps. The GPF is Olympic PreView no 1, Euros is Olympic preview lite, and then the big show. I just hope everybody stays healthy.

nimi

Are they purposely doing a 3-1-1 SBS jump combination or are my eyes deceiving me? Wasn't it meant to be 3-2-2?
According to Aljona, she just lost her mental focus for a sec. (link)
"Well, I think half of my energy I gave to Bruno because I know how hard the preparation was for him," Savchenko said. "Today he fought with his back and with himself, and when I was watching him do the rotation in the (triple salchow) jump, I was like, 'Oh, nice' and I was really happy for him. And then I did a small mistake."

"That's OK," Massot shrugged. "I fell yesterday."

rfisher

Let the skating begin
:lol: I can understand her, but she's going to have to let Bruno do his own thing and focus on herself. It would be hard for me as well, especially since he fell in the short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information