Savchenko/Massot Fan Thread

skatfan

Have we ever had another non-married, non-sibling, team/couple both be naturalized citizens as adults? Go Ukraine/France/Germany!

annie_mg

I wasn't expecting them to go back to their old short programme! I prefer it to this year's, but I felt that their flamenco still had room to grow so I am a bit disappointed. With this short and their current fd, they show much more versatility. It's like Tarassova/Morozov only the other way around (and with better programmes).

In any case they sailed through it. Beautiful skating and well deserved first place. And Aljona seems to be landing those throws lately!:cheer2:

kittyjake5

I missed the pairs live and when I started to watch the video I thought wait this is last season’s program. Surprised but I love this program. Fabulous skating!

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I love this SP for them, it's the only repeat program which I'm happy about this year. They nailed it and Bruno looked confident again. I didn't expect them to pull in front, so thrilled by two favs team are exceeding my expectations in pairs and ice dance. Hope for a great LP.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I'm really proud of Bruno for holding it together given his laces broke. He kept his focus. That's not easy under any circumstance and especially under one with high expectations. This is the only head-to-head skate against Sui/Han before the Olympics. They'll skate against the Russians at Europeans, but they needed to establish themselves against the Chinese in a direct match. Good job, big guy.

skatfan

So glad they went back to last year's program. Their Tango suffered in comparison with S/K's SP, and in the one they are doing, they looked comfortable and confident. And going back to the 3F-thr has also been good.

Plus - Bruno skating through his laces breaking- wow!

Quadjump

Some details about today,s performance.

1. Still level 3 at the twist again and I do not know why.
2. They missed half a point at the lift. Very slow. Should be +3 when they get it done perfectly. The DS has to be faster.
3. The German judge gave them low pesentation marks. But it hopefully will be Sissy Krick or Elke Treitz at the Olympics who are willing to give 9.75 or maybe 10.00 which will boost their PCS a bit more. Maybe the Russian judges will not be in Pjoenchang because of the Russian ban. You can clearly see that the Russian and the Chinese judge decreased their PCS.

Last edited:

Jamalele

Very interesting as always, quadthrow!!Darf man hier auch deutsch schreiben(?)☺️..sagtest du nicht mal, die Schrittfolge beim twist wäre nicht so kurz/flüssig wie z.b.bei T/M...die ja die Kriterien ständig erfüllen für Level 4?Ob das hier auch zutraf...keine Ahnung!
2.Als sie bei der letzten WM eine volle Drehung im Eingang gemacht haben-da gab es Level 4-Zhang bekommt auch eig immer Level 4 mit der ganzen Drehung...

Quadjump

Quadjump....

Ja diese Drehung davor ist noch kein Feature für level 4. Man muss auch von der Drehung dann schnell und flüssig in die Luft kommen. Das haben Aljona und Bruno nur bei der WM geschafft. Bei der Nebelhorntrophy nicht mehr. Jetzt lassen sie das sein.

umronnie

Some details about today,s performance.

1. Still level 3 at the twist again and I do not know why.
2. They missed half a point at the lift. Very slow. Should be +3 when they get it done perfectly. The DS has to be faster.
3. The German judge gave them low pesentation marks. But it hopefully will be Sissy Krick or Elke Treitz at the Olympics who are willing to give 9.75 or maybe 10.00 which will boost their PCS a bit more. Maybe the Russian judges will not be in Pjoenchang because of the Russian ban. You can clearly see that the Russian and the Chinese judge decreased their PCS.
I would say doing it with a broken lace it is a miracle they made it through. I can take a slow (amazing) lift and DS.

antmanb

I love that they've gone back to the old SP, the only thing i'd change is the arm they use in the Death Spiral. That is hands down the ugliest death spiral of the competition - it ruins the line of the spiral - her leg line is out and her head looking down at the ice too. She normally cannot hit an ugly position but that death spiral :yikes:

Quadjump

The German TV commentator just mentioned that Aljona and her coach are quite angry about the technical panel because of level 3 for the twist.

The ankle of Aljona's legs should have not been wide enough. Koenig and Aljona disagree about this decision and complained that the panel is underrating them to make it easier for the others.

Jamalele

Dejavu 2013 Olympiasaison?Änderung Kurzprogramm...Schwierigkeiten im Allgemeinen, WR Grand Prix Chinesen...

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Aljona should maybe have gone to a more political coach for help ? ;)

Quadjump

:confused: would that somehow put them in a better position than they currently are at the GPF?

She needed to land clean throws was all. When she does they're fine, when they don't, others can pass them.
The skate was good and the position is nice. But the lead should be 0.40 bigger. The twist was level 4.

antmanb

The skate was good and the position is nice. But the lead should be 0.40 bigger. The twist was level 4.

I agree the call on their twist is really harsh i'd give it level 4 too. But I wouldn't be advocating a coaching change for 0.4 points.

ETA: actually having rewatched the split triple twist, I think the level 3 call is fair https://youtu.be/ER4XjMolDwA?t=58

A couple of fast side steps followed by a cross over isn't a difficult entry into the triple twist. Didn't they used to do a rotational carry into this split twist to get the difficult entrance bullet?

If they aren't doing a difficult entry then she has to get a split position (both legs beyond 45 degrees from the central axis) which again, I don't think she gets. The non picking foot comes back to the vertical axis and barely beyond it let alone 45 degrees beyond it.

The other three bullets are there so they have to fix the difficult entrance.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
They did a really difficult entry and exit the first year they competed and got dinged because it was considered an illegal move. They went to the simpler one as a consequence. But, make her mad and she'll fix the problem. She's not going to get beat by a level on an otherwise superb element.

antmanb

They did a really difficult entry and exit the first year they competed and got dinged because it was considered an illegal move. They went to the simpler one as a consequence. But, make her mad and she'll fix the problem. She's not going to get beat by a level on an otherwise superb element.

The exit they had originally was spectacular and I think a difficult exit should be added to the bullets for GOE (I don't recall them actively getting a point deduction for an illegal element though). They just need more steps or movements into the entrance, or the rotational carry they've done before, that's it.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Just watched their FP and I'm crying, my god the quality it was unreal. And the 1st place too, I think Christmas came early for me as a fan of S/M and P/C. I have to acknowledge I loved so much their last year's FP I couldn't get into this one but today, it all clicked and it was magnificent and even more emotional than their performance at last year's Euro Championship. I hope they continue and maybe Aljona can finally get the medal of her dreams.

Last edited:

Quadjump

I have no words for Aljona and Bruno. Such an emotional skate and I enjoyed every moment.

This was a big statement by the judges that they are willing to give them the Gold.

Schindler's List, Pink Panter, Pina, Lighthouse and La terre vue du ciel. The Queen's collection.

firstflight

That was electric! I was thinking earlier in the season that Sui/Han’s precision would win the day and they seemingly proved it with the record FS score at NHK. But you know what beats that? When you create a moment on the ice and immerse the audience and judges into the whole of the performance. This is fantastic for the sport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information